Heart Palpitations

ravip

A person (age 57) I know, get these sudden bouts of accelerated heart beats without any apparent rhyme or reason.

Sometimes it goes off after a couple of minutes without any interventions, but sometimes it lingers on for a few hours, whence he visits a hospital.

He had been recommended Betaloc Tablets (Metoprolol tartrate) and Calan SR (Verapamil)‏ by different doctors.

What is the cause of this?

Is there a cure?

Is it dangerous?

Thank you.

I'm no DR but my sister who is 46 has the same complaint,she's been on medication,but is in hospital next week for an Ablation.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/treatments/ablation

I think it's to do with the electrical timing or something,upon finding the results she may have to have a pace maker but that is possibly the last resort.

More on abnormal heart rhythm here.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/abnormal-heart-rhythms

Cheers

Stoneyboy.

Edited by stoneyboy

I have this too (Atrial Fibrillation ) and use Metoprolol tartrate . However as i understand it from my cardiologist there is a risk of stroke associated with it and so most people with Atrial Fibrillation are also on blood thinners such as Warfarin . I now take Pradaxa instead of wararfrin which means no regular blood tests . And substances like strong coffee , coke ,can kick it off and i have personally observed , although controversial , any food with msg seems to get my heart racing too.

From the limited information available it sounds like a paroxysmal subventricular tachycardia (PSVT) with or without underlying atrial fibrillation.

If it is PSVT without underlying a-fib, whether dangerous depends on the underlying cause.

If it is a-fib, there is an elevated risk of blood clots and this is the main danger. Fior which reason the use of anticoagulants is usuall yadvised.

In both cases radio frequency ablation is sometimes used.

And in either case, care by a skilled cardiologist is necessary.

Sriphat hospital (Chiang Mai) has a Cardiology Dept.

I had tests there which cost me a couple of thousand baht. The same tests in Australia were nearer $300.00.

See your GP and get a referral to Sriphat or elsewhere if not in Chiang Mai.

one thing you don't want to do, as i understand it, is start and stop betablockers (-olol meds) , as doing so can cause , sometimes fatal, irregular rhythms .... get a 24 hour holter monitor perhaps, if the PVCs are frequent ( like 3 an hour?) if that is what they are......

one thing you don't want to do, as i understand it, is start and stop betablockers (-olol meds) , as doing so can cause , sometimes fatal, irregular rhythms .... get a 24 hour holter monitor perhaps, if the PVCs are frequent ( like 3 an hour?) if that is what they are......

No, his palpitations dont come on regularly. Sometimes, even for a couple of months they dont occur. The duration also varies from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours.

He does not regularly drink heavily

Does not smoke (stopped a couple of years ago)

Never in to illegal drugs

Has stopped drinking coffee and tea.

Exercises moderately regularly.

There are many things that can cause it. I had cardio fibrillation for a while as a result of stress and high-blood pressure. It went away and never came back. It could be genetic. Do you have a history of heart disease in your family?

No, his (I asked this question on behalf of a friend of mine) family does not have a history of heart disease, nor does he have high blood pressure. His sugar level is high, but controlled with medications.

You mentioned you had cardio fibrillation for a while as a result of stress and high-blood pressure and that it went away - Was it with medications? Did you manage to get your high blood pressure to come back to normal too?

There are many things that can cause it. I had cardio fibrillation for a while as a result of stress and high-blood pressure. It went away and never came back. It could be genetic. Do you have a history of heart disease in your family?

No, his (I asked this question on behalf of a friend of mine) family does not have a history of heart disease, nor does he have high blood pressure. His sugar level is high, but controlled with medications.

You mentioned you had cardio fibrillation for a while as a result of stress and high-blood pressure and that it went away - Was it with medications? Did you manage to get your high blood pressure to come back to normal too?

If he is using Metoprolol , this medication will lower his blood pressure and it will rise again when he stops taking it, or so i have been told by both my cardiologist and my GP. Just a side-effect of Metoprolol .

I should add i am no expert and you should talk to a cardiologist for verification . i am just repeating what i have learnt from having AF myself.

Edited by xen

As mentioned this could be PSVT unrelated to a-fib or it could be poorly controlled a-fib. Not enough informatipn available to know. As PSVT can arise from several very different causes, other people's treatment and experience will not necessarily be applicable.

My sister had problems with shortness of breath and severe heartbeats. She thought it was something really serious. It turned out that by poor nutrition, supplying the body with not enough vitamins and minerals. Her symptoms were the cause of high potassium deficiency!

Get your buddy to go see a cardiologist. There are a range of options depending on the diagnosis - life style changes, medication, surgery, pacemakers etc. When I was under investigation in my 40s I was told in theatre that in general terms the prognoses for an arrhythmia or irregular heartbeat are much less drastic than say for blocked arteries. However it depends on the diagnoses so that is why your buddy needs to leg it into a hospital post-haste and get checked out.

I didn't take any medication. They first advised beta-blockers but since I am asthmatic, they were not prescribed. When the stress went away, I recovered, it took a few months but definitely no medication. Just took care of myself at home.

This could also be a symptom of a magnesium deficiency. A friend of mine suffered palpitations, they disappeared after several months of spraying on magnesium oil. Most magnesium isn't absorbed orally.

I used the search function to find a source in Bangkok for magnesium chloride and made my own oil. It's much less expensive than buying pre-made.

Edited by kicking

This could also be a symptom of a magnesium deficiency. A friend of mine suffered palpitations, they disappeared after several months of spraying on magnesium oil. Most magnesium isn't absorbed orally.

I used the search function to find a source in Bangkok for magnesium chloride and made my own oil. It's much less expensive than buying pre-made.

You made the magnesium chloride oil on your own?

What is the dosage and how is it taken?

Magnesium oil, isn't really an oil. It's basically one part magnesium chloride dissolved in an equal part water. It's applied topically. You might want to read The Magnesium Miracle, or maybe Google it, I'm sure there's some sort of synopsis online. Any questions, you can send me a PM.