Which are the best restaurants in soi Buokaew /soi LK

wileycoyote

^ You are fun....but only for a minute or so. Back to your Baht Bus nightmares thread please (or maybe you can start a Jet-ski one given the conditions)giggle.gif

I don't have a current baht bus thread and the only thing I really have to say about jet-skis I've already said: BAN THEM!

Looks like the misunderstanding about neighbouring or not neighbouring was mine. Sorry about that. But I did get to spend an entertaining 30 seconds trying to think of a neighbouring country to Israel whose name sounds like Morocco, so all is not lost.

Surprised that the influence on Israeli cooking should come from Morocco rather than Algeria or Tunisia or Libya, given that all of the latter are much closer and all four have similar cuisines. We live and learn. I was particularly interested as I lived in North Africa for the best part of year, a few decades ago, and I always liked the food.

^ Don't think he meant Morocco was a bordering country...just poorly constructed Englishsmile.png No surprise there then coming from a yankwhistling.gif

Sawow,Yank Basher...

clap2.gif Your Isaan is better than his Englishbiggrin.png ....and, for the record, nothing at all wrong in bashing septicscheesy.gif

There are also influences from those countries and others where Jews came from to Israel. I just gave two examples. Look it's just a casual restaurant. Not a 5 star in Tel Aviv!

Well if Jesus really was a Jew how come his folks gave him a Mexican name ? laugh.png

I think his actual name was YESHU'A.

Kinda like Joshua.

• 3 weeks later...

There are also influences from those countries and others where Jews came from to Israel. I just gave two examples. Look it's just a casual restaurant. Not a 5 star in Tel Aviv!

Hey Jt, does any of the Israeli places do a decent shakshuka that you know of?

Thanks,

NL

Hey Jt, does any of the Israeli places do a decent shakshuka that you know of?

Thanks,

NL

Just serviceable. Nothing worth writing home to the kibbutz about. The Place seems to have switched from really good crusty bread for that to boring mini baguettes. Sad.

I haven't tried it but I see Retox bar getting a few mentions

Retox has no smoking signs all over the bar. When there are drinkers (anytime), they can smoke under the eyes of the owner inside the bar. I eat elsewhere when I see that.

That surprises me as when I have been in for breakfast I always see smokers going outside - including the owner. Not been in yet at night however.

Retox has no smoking signs all over the bar. When there are drinkers (anytime), they can smoke under the eyes of the owner inside the bar. I eat elsewhere when I see that.

That surprises me as when I have been in for breakfast I always see smokers going outside - including the owner. Not been in yet at night however.

I've never noticed anyone smoking inside Retox. I only go there for breakfast though and I've never been there after about 1pm.

Many to choose from, all decent pub grub type outlets.

MY CHOICE

SUNDAY ROAST ALL YOU CAN EAT ---------- Jollys

Sunday roast ------------------- Nickys bar

british chinky --------------------- Wok N Rok

english brekfast ------------------- Nickys and Retox

Friday fish and chip special --------------- Jockys, Pattini and Nickys bar

every day special ---------------------- jockeys and nickys bar

A good steak, value for money ----------------------- My Way

A great steak at silly prices but enjoy the decor, service etc etc --------------- Beefeater & Steak & co

Not an expert at pub grub as thai food is too amazing not to eat more and more, and i wouldnt go to places like above for thai food

I was in Retox and was surprised and amused to see two Thai girls come in, look at the menu and then order the same breakfast special that I was having. They had the fried bread (I always have that replaced with toast), and they also had the black pudding. Made me smile.

If that isn't a recommendation I don't know what is!

I was in Retox and was surprised and amused to see two Thai girls come in, look at the menu and then order the same breakfast special that I was having. They had the fried bread (I always have that replaced with toast), and they also had the black pudding. Made me smile.

If that isn't a recommendation I don't know what is!

probably missed their english sponsors.

Looks like the misunderstanding about neighbouring or not neighbouring was mine. Sorry about that. But I did get to spend an entertaining 30 seconds trying to think of a neighbouring country to Israel whose name sounds like Morocco, so all is not lost.

Surprised that the influence on Israeli cooking should come from Morocco rather than Algeria or Tunisia or Libya, given that all of the latter are much closer and all four have similar cuisines. We live and learn. I was particularly interested as I lived in North Africa for the best part of year, a few decades ago, and I always liked the food.

Morocco has had a very large Jewish population for many centuries. Many are descended from Jews who fled the Spanish Inquisition in the 15th century but there has also been large tribes of Sephardi Jews who date back beyond the dawn of Christianity. Many Moroccan Jews immigrated to Israel in the early years after it's formation after WW2.

The Sephardim are actually looked down on there and claim they are discriminated against. Like many poor immigrant groups elsewhere, many made a living selling food in street stalls and neighborhood restaurants. Moroccan street food is delicious as is the national cuisine and it caught on in Israel and eventually became a major influence.

I spent 2 years stationed in Morocco in the late 1960's and really liked the place.

Archived