Storms and flooding hits Pattaya

webfact

Storms and Flooding Hits Pattaya

pattaya-storm-fabulous103FM-32-405x339.j

PATTAYA: -- Huge storms erupted above Pattaya Skies around 4.30PM this evening, seeing the city main roads turn to rivers.

As of 6Pm the Sukhumvit and approaching motorway links were heavily flooded. Central roads took much of the brunt of the storms and Pumps on the sea front were activated by the city clear water from Beach road.

Second Road and all major Sois are currently several feet deep in water and drivers are advised to avoid the city if at all possible or to expect severe delays. Met office forecast show continued rain thru the night in Pattaya and across Thailand

Local fishing boats and passenger ferries were ordered to remain in dock and emergency ferries brought toruists from nearby Koh Larn to the mainland where some were greeted by the city’s deputy mayor before being ferried to their hotels.

Full story/images: http://pattaya103.com/storms-and-flooding-hits-pattaya/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2015-09-16

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got enough food and water to not need to leave my little 5th floor haven for the duration of the rain. There might even be some liquor tucked away somewhere. whistling.gif

Our parking lot (on fairly high ground and pretty flat) is ankle deep all the way across with all manner of debris floating down it. I can't imagine what the Suk must be like. Two more days of this and the illegal fishing boats will have to be brought in to replace the tour buses.

Edited by Bellacissa

If you really were experienced SEAsian residents, tourist, illegals, you must realise that these tropical cyclones create havoc. This one is a minor issue, the Philippines gets on average 20 major typhoon hits a year, South China, and Vietnam also get hammered. It's a way of life for these people.

Remember what you are experiencing right now should be expected , if you understand where you live. But I will concede its unusual, but that doesn't alter the fact that people should be more educated to this part of the world and be prepared.. This is not ?Brighton or New York .

If you really were experienced SEAsian residents, tourist, illegals, you must realise that these tropical cyclones create havoc. This one is a minor issue, the Philippines gets on average 20 major typhoon hits a year, South China, and Vietnam also get hammered. It's a way of life for these people.

Remember what you are experiencing right now should be expected , if you understand where you live. But I will concede its unusual, but that doesn't alter the fact that people should be more educated to this part of the world and be prepared.. This is not ?Brighton or New York .

I don't think anyone is particularly surprised to see the flooding, and as I said, I stocked up on food and water when I knew that it was headed this way. But even though it's fairly normal around here in monsoon season, it hasn't stopped the locals out here on the dark side from going out and taking a million pictures of the waist high water in front of my complex. And they've lived here all their lives. So, it's clearly not a run of the mill event.

Although, if you factor in the sheer volume of selfies taken on a normal day, it might not be that far off. wink.png

Expected Storms cause temporary Chaos on the streets of Pattaya

flood-1.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- As we expected, Pattaya was pounded by heavy and sustained periods of rainfall on Wednesday afternoon and into the evening which caused widespread flash floods leading to traffic chaos around the City.

The skies darkened at around 4.30pm on Wednesday as Tropical Storm Vamco began to wreak havoc on Pattaya and its fragile infrastructure which struggles to cope with such extreme weather conditions.

The rainstorm on Wednesday was the worst Pattaya has seen in 2015 so far and in places saw flood water reach 1.5 meters in depth, causing some to abandon their vehicles. There were unconfirmed reports that in some areas vehicles were seen floating down the road.

The East of Pattaya was badly affected as was the main Sukhumvit Road which saw thousands of motorists stuck as the flood waters continued to rise, especially around the Central Pattaya Underpass construction site which experienced serious traffic congestion right through until 10.30pm.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/217990/expected-storms-cause-temporary-chaos-on-the-streets-of-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-09-17

Pattaya partially submerged from heavy rains

9-16-2015-10-37-51-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A large part of Pattaya went under water and traffic was brought to almost standstill after the city was lashed by heavy rains for about three hours as a result of depression Vamco which was sweeping across the eastern region and the central plains.

The in-bound and out-bound lanes of the Sukhumvit highway at the entrance of a road to South Pattaya was flooded about two feet deep stretching about 100 metres making it impassable for small cars.

The Pattaya-Na Klua, the Weeking Street in South Pattaya and Panya housing estate were also heavily flooded.

Meanwhile in Nakhon Ratchasima, a laterite road linking Ban Nong Rabang in Muak Lek district of Saraburi and Ban Yang in Pak Chong district was cut by flash flood from Khao Yai.

Muak Lek district chief officer Manasphon Thanasupapan said he would seek an emergency budget from the provincial administration for the maintenance of the road.

A sign has been put up to inform motorists not to use the route but switch to the Mitraparb road instead.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pattaya-partially-submerged-from-heavy-rains

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-17

I was caught in the chaos last night from 6.30 onwards. I was in my trusty Honda Jazz. Despite the waters coming into the car it kept going the length of Soi Bukhao & up to higher ground on Klang. When I opened the doors the water rushed out. I bought 2 basins at Big C & my friend & I bailed out the inside/boot. A number of luxury cars ground to a halt (BMW & Merc.) Amazingly the Jazz kept going tho' the exhaust was under water. About 11pm I managed to get to Suk which was flooded in the usual places before Pattaya Tai. Soi 6 was open for business - so I've heard.

Just what I experienced: as usual: most of Soi Buakhao, Soi Diana, Soi Chaiyaphum, Soi Lengkee submerged more or less.

Soi Diana beeing a strong stream towards 2nd road, same for Soi Honey.

Soi LK basically closed, due to power outage?

But no widespread power outage in the area.

I used the elevator, fool I am whistling.gif

We did a walk (wading) along Soi Buakhao, just below knee-deep (much deeper in the side sois).

All kind of waste floating around.

We were not keen on doing any further research.

Sitting on a barstool, watching exceptional scenes on the road was the evening entertainment.

Edited by KhunBENQ