Border Run Alternatives

2 minutes ago, likewise said:

I need to activate my 2nd entry on a multiple non O.

If in Rayong which border is nearest to drive to ? Or would it be more convenient to fly to KL ? 

The Ban Pakard crossing in Chantaburi province to Cambodia would be the nearest crossing.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/Pjy89pwpjsk

From Rayong a flight from Utapao to KL might be an option but there are not many flights a day. After that it would be a trip to Bangkok to get the flight.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The Ban Pakard crossing in Chantaburi province to Cambodia would be the nearest crossing.

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/Pjy89pwpjsk

From Rayong a flight from Utapao to KL might be an option but there are not many flights a day. After that it would be a trip to Bangkok to get the flight.

Thanks UJ . Anything needed to enter Cambodia or anything else I should be aware of ? Always entered through Malaysia so no experience with other borders.

Edited by likewise

10 hours ago, likewise said:

Thanks UJ . Anything needed to enter Cambodia or anything else I should be aware of ? Always entered through Malaysia so no experience with other borders.

When entering Cambodia, you will need to purchase a visa on arrival. The official price is US$ 30. To have any hope of getting the official price, you must have US dollars. Touts, and even the official visa desk, will try to tell you that the visa is more expensive.  Whether you can get the official price will depend on various factors. You should also have a visa photo.

There is a real law in Cambodia that anyone entering by land (unless holding a multiple entry business visa for Cambodia) must stay overnight. To get Cambodia immigration to waive this requirement, you generally need to pay a facilitation fee of about 200 or 300 baht. I can avoid this, but it is hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

When entering Cambodia, you will need to purchase a visa on arrival. The official price is US$ 30. To have any hope of getting the official price, you must have US dollars. Touts, and even the official visa desk, will try to tell you that the visa is more expensive.  Whether you can get the official price will depend on various factors. You should also have a visa photo.

There is a real law in Cambodia that anyone entering by land (unless holding a multiple entry business visa for Cambodia) must stay overnight. To get Cambodia immigration to waive this requirement, you generally need to pay a facilitation fee of about 200 or 300 baht. I can avoid this, but it is hard.

Hmm. thanks, seems like flying to KL will be less hassle.

7 minutes ago, likewise said:

Hmm. thanks, seems like flying to KL will be less hassle.

Yes, but as @ubonjoe advises, because of limited flights, you may need to fly from U-Tapao, but then return via Don Muang, Bangkok. Probably not expensive (if you book well in advance) but a long day.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Yes, but as @ubonjoe advises, because of limited flights, you may need to fly from U-Tapao, but then return via Don Muang, Bangkok. Probably not expensive (if you book well in advance) but a long day.

Thanks, I don't mind spending the night in KL, I like the city for a day or 2. Thanks for the info.

My tourist visa is about to expire and I read that I have 2 free visa exempts by land, so I want to use these 2 land crossing exempts up before I apply for another Tourist Visa.  What's the quickest and easiest way to go on about this from Bangkok/Asoke area? Where do I go, Phu Nam?  I'm thinking a day trip using Bus or Minivan and back the same day. Is it cheaper to go there on my own or is the convenience using a Visa service van worth it? Just stamp out, stamp back in and back to bangkok with new visa exempt. I also have a US visa so I need to know if I can do Visa on arrival and how much it will cost. What are my options?

12 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

My tourist visa is about to expire and I read that I have 2 free visa exempts by land, so I want to use these 2 land crossing exempts up before I apply for another Tourist Visa.  What's the quickest and easiest way to go on about this from Bangkok/Asoke area? Where do I go, Phu Nam?  I'm thinking a day trip using Bus or Minivan and back the same day. Is it cheaper to go there on my own or is the convenience using a Visa service van worth it? Just stamp out, stamp back in and back to bangkok with new visa exempt. I also have a US visa so I need to know if I can do Visa on arrival and how much it will cost. What are my options?

I suggest you save one of your visa exempt entries by land to use later. Especially if you will be traveling overland to get your tourist visa incase you had a problem getting the visa.

Ban Phu Nam Ron is the nearest crossing to Bangkok but there are no direct buses or vans to there. You have travel to to Kanchanaburi and then get a local bus or van to there. You will not need a visa for Myanmar. You will pay 960 baht that includes transport across no mans land and the Myanmar border pass (500 baht).

This company does the run to there for a all inclusive cost of 2000 baht. https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

Your other option is a crossing to Cambodia. There are buses and vans to Aranyaprathet where the Poi Pet crossing is. The fee for a Cambodia is $30 but can be more in Baht. Another crossing is Ban Laem to Cambodia but it is not easy to get there.

Nice, thanks. Seems like Ban Phu Nam Ron is the best option for me. Do you recommend using the Visa Service for 2000฿? Also I'm a bit confused about No man's land.. when I get to the border at Ban Phu Nam Ron from Kanchanaburi, I will pay 960฿ to cross No man's land and arrive at the Myanmar passport control and then pay 500฿ to stamp into Myanmar? Or is it 960฿ total to get across No man's land and then stamp into Myanmar? And then once I'm stamped in, It's no problem to just turn around and go back and stamp back into Thailand, this wouldn't be a problem? 

10 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

Or is it 960฿ total to get across No man's land and then stamp into Myanmar? And then once I'm stamped in, It's no problem to just turn around and go back and stamp back into Thailand, this wouldn't be a problem? 

It is all inclusive and that includes the transport back to the Thai side. No problem to turn around and come right back.

10 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

Do you recommend using the Visa Service for 2000฿?

That service has a good reputation. Considering it includes transport to the border and back I would say it is better than doing it yourself.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lopezkoa said:

I think the rules for border crossings at Myannmar has changed and requires an e-visa before entering, for US Passports.

http://www.mip.gov.mm/the-burma-immigration-emergency-provisions-act-1947/

A visa for most countries is only needed if traveling further into Myanmar than the area where the border crossing is located. Certainly not needed for a US passport holder.

Only a border pass ($10 or 500 baht) is needed if just entering to visit, shop or to get a new entry for Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Hi there!

I am an Aussie, I have been in Thailand since October 2016. So far in that time I have used two tourist visas back to back and 8 exempt entries with extensions staying the full 60 days at a time.

I am just wondering what the friendliest embassy would be for me to go to considering I have a lot of exempt stamps.

Hong Kong was simple the first time I got a tourist visa but am wondering if it will be more strict now.

Phnom Penh through a visa agent was another idea I wanted to pursue.

I hear Vientiane is one of the friendliest but seems busy.

Does anyone have any suggestions or think I will have issues getting a visa because of my time staying on visa exempt/extensions?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

I am just wondering what the friendliest embassy would be for me to go to considering I have a lot of exempt stamps.

The visa exempt entries are not a factor at most consulates.

You should be fine if you want to get one more visa in Hong Kong. Vientiane will be OK for at least two (likely three) visas, though busy unless you are willing to apply Friday and stay through the weekend. The requirements at both are minimal.

Other good places to apply (but with requirements, typically financial proof and/or onward flight tickets) are Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Yangon.

Phnom Penh has a number of disadvantages, and I recommend against getting visas there unless you particularly want to visit anyway.

Something to consider is that entering by air (even with a visa) can sometimes be subject to extra scrutiny when you have been a "tourist" in Thailand for an extended period. Vientiane and Savannakhet avoid that problem as you can re-enter by land.

If you want an easy life, and no risk re-entry into Thailand, I suggest Vientiane (staying the weekend) for your next two visa runs, and then Savannakhet ensuring you have the required financial proof to show them.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2018 at 4:02 PM, BritTim said:

The visa exempt entries are not a factor at most consulates.

You should be fine if you want to get one more visa in Hong Kong. Vientiane will be OK for at least two (likely three) visas, though busy unless you are willing to apply Friday and stay through the weekend. The requirements at both are minimal.

Other good places to apply (but with requirements, typically financial proof and/or onward flight tickets) are Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Yangon.

Phnom Penh has a number of disadvantages, and I recommend against getting visas there unless you particularly want to visit anyway.

Something to consider is that entering by air (even with a visa) can sometimes be subject to extra scrutiny when you have been a "tourist" in Thailand for an extended period. Vientiane and Savannakhet avoid that problem as you can re-enter by land.

If you want an easy life, and no risk re-entry into Thailand, I suggest Vientiane (staying the weekend) for your next two visa runs, and then Savannakhet ensuring you have the required financial proof to show them.

Thanks for that info! Much appreciated.

I have already done 2 walk-ins this year and the IO left a little note next to the stamp saying '2walkin' or something similar. I guess that won't be an issue if I am walking back in on SETV?

11 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

I have already done 2 walk-ins this year and the IO left a little note next to the stamp saying '2walkin' or something similar. I guess that won't be an issue if I am walking back in on SETV?

You will not be able to do any more 30 day visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year.

You can do as many entries at land border crossing as you want to if you have a valid visa for entry.

2 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

Correct, there are no limits to land crossings with an actual visa.

IMHO it would have been wise to reserve one of your visa exempt entries by land for emergencies (such as a visa application being unexpectedly rejected) but that is now only something to consider for the future.

• Like 2

Hello everyone.

I've gotten a lot wiser already reading a lot of pages on this website but decided to make an account to ask about my specific situation.

Since April 2017 i'm staying in Thailand through some visa on arrivals by plane with extensions and some border runs also got those extended for 30 days.

This year i used already both my border runs through Myanmar (February and April) and my visa will end in June.

I was thinking to get a tourist visa either with a border run company (Thai Visa Services)  since i used them for all of my border runs. i don't have any tickets for leaving Thailand again as i intent of staying here for at least 1 more year. 

What is the best i could do and is it easy enough to obtain a SETV in Vientiane that i could do it by myself and fly there instead of taking a van since i hate sitting inside a van for that long of a time.

Edited by Bizarre
mistake in writing

9 hours ago, Bizarre said:

What is the best i could do and is it easy enough to obtain a SETV in Vientiane that i could do it by myself and fly there instead of taking a van since i hate sitting inside a van for that long of a time.

No problem to get a visa in Vientiane. 

You could fly directly to Vientiane or fly to Udon Thani and take a van from the airport there to the bridge in Nong Khai to crossover to Laos.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to get a visa in Vientiane. 

You could fly directly to Vientiane or fly to Udon Thani and take a van from the airport there to the bridge in Nong Khai to crossover to Laos.

Will they check for a return flight outside Thailand and will they check any kind of money ?

kind of limited with money around 10K since my money will come in a couple days after my visa expires

11 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

Will they check for a return flight outside Thailand and will they check any kind of money ?

They do not ask for tickets or money in the bank to get the visa in Vientiane.

Just be careful with Thailand, you can come here but after a few entries you may have problem.
Happened to me when they refused me a visa in Ventiane because it was my 3th request in a row.i entered finally with a visa waiver

Now I m on my 3rd visa waiver entry and officer told me what I was doing next. I said I will take plane and go home.

But I will be 50 in September so I will try to get a tourist visa for 2 months in savanakhet then apply for a retirement visa in Ventiane . (O visa)

So if you want stay long term in Thailand, Regreattbly it s not possible anymore unless you apply for a retirement visa or a elite visa or get married or student.

All they want is money or Out!

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 1:35 PM, 50soon said:

Just be careful with Thailand, you can come here but after a few entries you may have problem.
Happened to me when they refused me a visa in Ventiane because it was my 3th request in a row.i entered finally with a visa waiver

Now I m on my 3rd visa waiver entry and officer told me what I was doing next. I said I will take plane and go home.

But I will be 50 in September so I will try to get a tourist visa for 2 months in savanakhet then apply for a retirement visa in Ventiane . (O visa)

So if you want stay long term in Thailand, Regreattbly it s not possible anymore unless you apply for a retirement visa or a elite visa or get married or student.

All they want is money or Out!

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

Thaivisaservices in my location aka sawasdee co said there is no limit attempt for SETV in Laos and i never had problem and this is my 3rd visa attempt

9 minutes ago, cowbee said:

Thaivisaservices in my location aka sawasdee co said there is no limit attempt for SETV in Laos and i never had problem and this is my 3rd visa attempt

On the fourth SETV , they usually give you a red stamp, saying no more SETVs

9 hours ago, cowbee said:

There is currently no limit is Savannakhet (but there are requirements to be met when applying for a tourist visa there). In Vientiane, after three or four applications, they will put a stamp in your passport that prevents you getting more there (though Savannakhet will still give them).

55 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is currently no limit is Savannakhet (but there are requirements to be met when applying for a tourist visa there). In Vientiane, after three or four applications, they will put a stamp in your passport that prevents you getting more there (though Savannakhet will still give them).

Is there any visa service to Savannakhet ? Can you recommend ? What is the requirements ?

What I do for 2 years in LOS is 3 times to Laos, 2 times to Cambodia, 1-2 times flight to nearby country (vietnam, malaysia) but I never know about Savannaket, maybe I should try it

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

On the fourth SETV , they usually give you a red stamp, saying no more SETVs

speaking of the red stamp, do you have reference image of the red stamp ? I just curious about that red stamp

For what it's worth, Vientiane gave me four SETVs in my previous passport without giving me a red stamp. My passport was full before I could try a 5th time. Those weren't all back to back though, I had one from HCMC and Savannakhet in between. I don't know if that made a difference.