Border Run Alternatives

A how you travel is a personal choice.

You should not have a problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry if you hold a G7 passport.

Do not forget a Cambodian visa on arrival ($30) will be required.

Same day return is possible.

So I have two back to back double entry tourist visas and one single. I am planning a trip to Singapore for travel purposes, luckily it lands on the end of my single entry visa. I will be out of Thailand for just under a week. Will I have trouble coming back into Thailand on a 30 day exempt visa? I will be moving on from Thailand around 45 days after getting back so I don't want to get another tourist visa (I heard it's difficult in Singapore) plus I'm not sure of the dates I'm flying out of Thailand after I get back from Singapore ( so I can't prove dates of exit from Thailand). Will I have trouble gettIng 30 days with two double, one single entry tourist visa and a non b?

So I have two back to back double entry tourist visas and one single. I am planning a trip to Singapore for travel purposes, luckily it lands on the end of my single entry visa. I will be out of Thailand for just under a week. Will I have trouble coming back into Thailand on a 30 day exempt visa? I will be moving on from Thailand around 45 days after getting back so I don't want to get another tourist visa (I heard it's difficult in Singapore) plus I'm not sure of the dates I'm flying out of Thailand after I get back from Singapore ( so I can't prove dates of exit from Thailand). Will I have trouble gettIng 30 days with two double, one single entry tourist visa and a non b?

Your problem is not so much associated with obtaining a 30 day visa exempt entry to Thailand but with the airlines willingness to allow boarding if you do not have an onward ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days.

That's the problem I wouldn't be returning on a visa. I'd just get the 30 days on arrival.

Look for a cheap one way ticket any nearby country. You can normally find some low cost tickets from Air Asia or any of the low cost carriers.

Ok so fly from Singapore to Malaysia for example. And enter Thailand by land border?

No

Buy a cheap ticket from anywhere in Thailand to any nearby country. You can find them so cheap you loose very little by throwing them away.

If I have a non imm b 12month multiple entry, do I get 30 or 60 day extension from immigration?

You get no extensions.

You are required to leave the country every 90 days. A new 90 day entry will be given on return for as long as the visa is valid.

What makes you believe 30/60 day extension is available ?

If I have a non imm b 12month multiple entry, do I get 30 or 60 day extension from immigration?

You get no extensions.

You are required to leave the country every 90 days. A new 90 day entry will be given on return for as long as the visa is valid.

I thought wrong then, how do you know which visits allow extension of stay?

You get no extensions.

I thought wrong then, how do you know which visits allow extension of stay?

Only a tourist visa or visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days.

Non immigrant visas can only be extended for specific reasons and most of those are only one year extensions. If you were married to a Thai or were the parent of a Thai you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit them for example.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Newbie here...

I don't know if it's the right place to post about it, but tourist visa run work in HK for single entries only, unless having a local (HK) resident card, which can get multiple entry - in case anyone wondered.

Either do i know if it's the place to ask : i was planning on getting a tourist multiple entry in HK (heh!) and ended up on a tourist single entry. I will have to leave the country after 40 days, for a week, so i guess, i'll come back and get the 30 days visa exempt.

Question is, as it may be possible for Non-B, is it possible to convert a single entry tourist visa to a multiple entry before departure?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!

Newbie here...

I don't know if it's the right place to post about it, but tourist visa run work in HK for single entries only, unless having a local (HK) resident card, which can get multiple entry - in case anyone wondered.

Either do i know if it's the place to ask : i was planning on getting a tourist multiple entry in HK (heh!) and ended up on a tourist single entry. I will have to leave the country after 40 days, for a week, so i guess, i'll come back and get the 30 days visa exempt.

Question is, as it may be possible for Non-B, is it possible to convert a single entry tourist visa to a multiple entry before departure?

Thanks in advance!

Short answer: not really. Longer answer: you can purchase a single or multiple reentry permit to allow you to come back to Thailand with the permission to stay permitted by your single entry tourist visa still intact. There is usually no advantage in doing this (as in your case) because, on return, the admitted until date is the same as the original date you were given when you originally entered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am currently on a 30 day entry when i flew from Australia to Bangkok.

Is it possible to extend this for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana on Thursday?

I am admitted to April 8 on the stamp in my passport.

Can a 30 day exemption on arrival be extended 30 days in bangkok? or will i need to do a visa run to Laos?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

I am currently on a 30 day entry when i flew from Australia to Bangkok.

Is it possible to extend this for 30 days at Chaeng Wattana on Thursday?

I am admitted to April 8 on the stamp in my passport.

Can a 30 day exemption on arrival be extended 30 days in bangkok? or will i need to do a visa run to Laos?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can apply for 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at Chaeng Wattana on Thursday for a fee of 1900 baht.

You will need a completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. Copies of your passport photo page, entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

Technically there is no 90 day rule/requirement.

You should be able to secure a 3rd visa exempt entry.

There are many cheap destinations to fly to/back from (check Air Asia). By flying you are virtually guaranteed a VE when arriving at an airport, but if flying into Phuket make sure you have 10-20,000 Bht cash as proof that your stay can be financed.

A land border trip if you are based in Koh Samui would be more challenging.

• Like 1

I don't have the time to browse all those replies here, so I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I want to point out one very cheap Visarun option by Air. NOK AIR frequently offers flights to HCMC Vietnam for 1149/1199 Baht one way, INCLUDING airport tax (departure tax is already worth 700 Baht leaving from DMK) and 30Kg of luggage. so you can go to Vietnam and return for around 2300 Baht. Many nationalities do not need to pay for the Visa on arrival any longer for stays of up to 14 days, so this is for sure the cheapest option if one opts to fly out from Bangkok.

• Like 1

Coming back by land from Penang is OK, but avoid the Sadao border post. Thai immigration there are dirty and will try to extract bribes. The train is not a bad option.

As stated, there are no fixed limits on visa exempt entries, tourist visas or extensions. The key criteria is whether you appear to be a genuine tourist, with money to support yourself without illegal working in Thailand. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

• Like 1

... All I see online is negative articles that just say no land borders or no back-to-back. And forums say 2-3 times at same border or consulate is fine, but none really address if the prior stamps from visa and extensions affect the exemption count.

I feel your pain! The problem is that the situation is complicated, with the rules being different at each border post and consulate. These rules are not written down anywhere, and mostly all we have to go on is anecdotal reports. Actually, not all the online reports are negative. We get a fair number of posts indicating how to successfully navigate around the complexity also.