Border Run Alternatives

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes.

As long as you don't have a history of multiple visa exempt entries you should have no problem with an out/in visa exempt entry at either Nong Khai or Mukdahan.

The only crossing that might not allow a visa exempt out/in entry is Chiang Khong.

ARRGH, thats the one i was focussing on...

6 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

ARRGH, thats the one i was focussing on...

There are recent reports of people doing out/in visa exempt entries at that crossing so it is possible. The only reason I said "might not" is due to a couple of reports from people that had problems.

If you don't have a history of visa exempt entries then you should be ok at Chiang Khong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

There are recent reports of people doing out/in visa exempt entries at that crossing so it is possible. The only reason I said "might not" is due to a couple of reports from people that had problems.

If you don't have a history of visa exempt entries then you should be ok at Chiang Khong.

any idea about Mai sai as another alternative? I will need 14 days before leaving the country aniway, after the one month extension at immigration....thanks

2 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

any idea about Mai sai as another alternative? I will need 14 days before leaving the country aniway, after the one month extension at immigration....thanks

No chance. They haven't allowed them for ages. Chiang Khong is the only chance in that region.

4 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

You can only do a crossing if have a valid visa for re-entry. They do not allow crossing for a new visa exempt entry.

Chiang Khong is the nearest crossing that will allow them.

• Like 2

I hold a non-immigrant type O VISA.

Another successful report of extension of stay at Mae Sot border. I went to that border a week ago on a very rainy day, it was almost a suicidal mission but it end up well.

Except that the Immigration Officer of Republic of the Union of Myanmar decided to keep my passport for about 3 hours and told me to go shop around! Officer told me that they can not allow foreign to enter Myanmar without proper VISA (which I didn't have at the occasion), but they do a kind of VOA against a payment of 500 THB in cash only and without receipt. Seems to be the deal to get your extension done.

The problem was not to have to wait 3 hours in Myawaddy (Myanmar side), but it was raining so heavily, the river overflew, and the city around the river banks and in downtown around the pagoda was partly flooded, not much to do in the place except to watch the chaos happening.

pros and cons - it is closer to Bangkok, but the road is very dangerous if you are driving like me, next time, I'm going to Chiang Rai again, it is far way, but much better and safe or maybe I just got unlucky to be there in the rainy season.

3 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

Is the VOA obtained at Airport BKK still allowed for 30 days extension at Immigration Office?

You would qualify for visa exempt entry (not VOA) at BKK. You get 30 days on entry and can extend that by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, OK, so... I have been here on SETV - 2 months plus 30 day extension.

Will all expire end of this month approx.

Need to leave Kingdom and go to another country and apply for a whole new visa.

Not same as old days with triple entry and border crossing.

So........... quick Q - best, nearest country to do that? British, 40. Passport does have a years worth of border crossing but from 2 or 3 years ago.

Only planned to be here 6 months in total but it might be longer due to year contract on condo so might have to do the SETV again and again.

What's the latest?

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Malthus101 said:

Hi folks, OK, so... I have been here on SETV - 2 months plus 30 day extension.

Will all expire end of this month approx.

Need to leave Kingdom and go to another country and apply for a whole new visa.

Not same as old days with triple entry and border crossing.

So........... quick Q - best, nearest country to do that? British, 40. Passport does have a years worth of border crossing but from 2 or 3 years ago.

Only planned to be here 6 months in total but it might be longer due to year contract on condo so might have to do the SETV again and again.

What's the latest?

Thanks.

Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos or Penang, Maylasia are recommended.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malthus101 said:

Thanks, I will read about those options. Don't fancy Vientiane again much, horrible place lol!  - although it's a bit further, do you happen to know if Manila in the Philippines is an ok place to get Thai visa from?

Thanks.

Here is a recent report from Manila. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/924403-single-entry-tourist-visa/?do=findComment&comment=10870676

It is possible to get one there, but you'll need a lot of supporting documents that aren't needed in Laos or Penang, Malaysia.

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

Here is a recent report from Manila. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/924403-single-entry-tourist-visa/?do=findComment&comment=10870676

It is possible to get one there, but you'll need a lot of supporting documents that aren't needed in Laos or Penang, Malaysia.

Thank you very much

Hi,

I hope I´m at least a little bit in the correct thread since I didn´t want to open yet another one with my question.

I am currently in TH on a METV. I will head back to Europe at the end of October for some business there but my current "60 days stamp" expires on the 12 Oct. So, I could either go to CW for a 30 day extension and pay 1,900 there or look for something more "interesting" for a little bit more than the 1,900. Now, as I am new in LoS and I haven´t been to Udon Thani I thought about doing a Sat/Sun weekend trip there with a quick hop over the border and straight back to Udon Thani for a day/night there. But, having never been there and having never been to that particular border crossing, I wonder if it makes sense to do and if it is stressful or not. I thought about taking the 08:30 flight from DMK to UTH then "somehow" (having had a proper look yet) cross the border into Laos and return to Udon straight away to spend the afternoon/evening there before taking the flight back to Bangkok the next day. What would be the "best/easiest" way be to get from UTH airport straight to Laos and then back to Udon for the night? 

Any comments? Thank you!

DUS

9 minutes ago, DUS said:

Hi,

I hope I´m at least a little bit in the correct thread since I didn´t want to open yet another one with my question.

I am currently in TH on a METV. I will head back to Europe at the end of October for some business there but my current "60 days stamp" expires on the 12 Oct. So, I could either go to CW for a 30 day extension and pay 1,900 there or look for something more "interesting" for a little bit more than the 1,900. Now, as I am new in LoS and I haven´t been to Udon Thani I thought about doing a Sat/Sun weekend trip there with a quick hop over the border and straight back to Udon Thani for a day/night there. But, having never been there and having never been to that particular border crossing, I wonder if it makes sense to do and if it is stressful or not. I thought about taking the 08:30 flight from DMK to UTH then "somehow" (having had a proper look yet) cross the border into Laos and return to Udon straight away to spend the afternoon/evening there before taking the flight back to Bangkok the next day. What would be the "best/easiest" way be to get from UTH airport straight to Laos and then back to Udon for the night? 

Any comments? Thank you!

DUS

Your plan is perfectly feasible. It is easy to get from Udon Thani airport to the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. There are minibuses timed to connect with the flight arrivals. There are buses to take you across the bridge. You will need to buy a visa on arrival for Laos, (cheapest if you pay in US$) but none of this is particularly stressful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your plan is perfectly feasible. It is easy to get from Udon Thani airport to the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. There are minibuses timed to connect with the flight arrivals. There are buses to take you across the bridge. You will need to buy a visa on arrival for Laos, (cheapest if you pay in US$) but none of this is particularly stressful.

Thank you, BritTim! Much appreciated!

Having no previous experience with a trip like this, how many hours should I calculate for the trip airport - border crossing - return trip to Udon? Just roughly ....

Edited by DUS

4 minutes ago, DUS said:

Thank you, BritTim! Much appreciated!

Having no previous experience with a trip like this, how many hours should I calculate for the trip airport - border crossing - return trip to Udon? Just roughly ....

4 -5 hours should do it. It's about an hour from Udon to Nong Khai. You'll need to allow about 1.5 to 2 hours for the bridge crossing/immigration.

• Like 1

Rough calculation:

• Arrive at bridge about 1 hour after flight arrival.
  • Check out of Thailand, cross bridge, get visa on arrival for Laos, check in and out of Laos, back across bridge and check back into Thailand, average 2 hours
  • Get bus into Udon city, 90 minutes inclusive of time to get a ticket and wait for the bus to leave

All very rough and ready, but most likely in Udon for a late lunch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I know this has been answered in this thread but not as recently (I think) as some changes have been made to the visa regulations (i.e. METV) so please bear with me.  

I am a US passport holder and plan to enter Thailand at Mae Sot.  I am hoping to get a 30 day visa-on-arrival.  I will have all supporting documents and 10,000 baht to show if need be.  Do G7 citizens still get a 30 day visa on arrival or is it 15?  I am asking because the US embassy in Thailand website says 15 days.  But every link within that website to Thai immigration and the Thai embassy in D.C. indicates a 30 v-o-a.  But that info is from April 3, 2015. (Does anyone clean this stuff up?)

Also if the limit is 15 days can I extend for 15 days at any Thai immigration office (i.e Phitlok, Nan, Si Saket, Khon Kaen)?

As a fall back plan I may apply for a 60 day visa in Yangon as I will be staying there for four days before departing on a long bicycle ride.  I think I will attempt this first and if it works I won't have to deal with the visa on arrival.....just for peace of mind.

Thanks for any help

25 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Greetings,

I know this has been answered in this thread but not as recently (I think) as some changes have been made to the visa regulations (i.e. METV) so please bear with me.  

I am a US passport holder and plan to enter Thailand at Mae Sot.  I am hoping to get a 30 day visa-on-arrival.  I will have all supporting documents and 10,000 baht to show if need be.  Do G7 citizens still get a 30 day visa on arrival or is it 15?  I am asking because the US embassy in Thailand website says 15 days.  But every link within that website to Thai immigration and the Thai embassy in D.C. indicates a 30 v-o-a.  But that info is from April 3, 2015. (Does anyone clean this stuff up?)

Also if the limit is 15 days can I extend for 15 days at any Thai immigration office (i.e Phitlok, Nan, Si Saket, Khon Kaen)?

As a fall back plan I may apply for a 60 day visa in Yangon as I will be staying there for four days before departing on a long bicycle ride.  I think I will attempt this first and if it works I won't have to deal with the visa on arrival.....just for peace of mind.

Thanks for any help

• US citizens don't qualify or need a Visa On Arrival (15 days). They qualify for the Visa Exempt Scheme and get permission to stay for 30 days.
  • You can extend the Visa Exempt Entry by 30 days at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

Someone mentioned the overnight stay in Vientiane.. 500 baht for the hotel a few blocks away, from Thai embassy where I was dropped from Udon Thani, and that little Thai town, which someone mentioned a few pages back, near the friendship bridge. it took a long time in line, so I gave my passport to one of those 'government' guys outside, next to the nice old retired soldier.
Sweet communists..
Nice place!
Aloha

5 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • US citizens don't qualify or need a Visa On Arrival (15 days). They qualify for the Visa Exempt Scheme and get permission to stay for 30 days.
  • You can extend the Visa Exempt Entry by 30 days at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

Thanks for the reply.  So do they allow a person to enter under the extension provision if onward travel documents show a departure date beyond the 30 day permit?  I would imagine they do otherwise the extension provision is pretty much worthless unless I am missing something.  I've crossed the border a number of times over the past 7 years and have never had anything checked other than my passport.  

34 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks for the reply.  So do they allow a person to enter under the extension provision if onward travel documents show a departure date beyond the 30 day permit?  I would imagine they do otherwise the extension provision is pretty much worthless unless I am missing something.  I've crossed the border a number of times over the past 7 years and have never had anything checked other than my passport.  

It is unlikely immigration will ever ask for onward flight tickets. However, if you are flying in, you may find your airline refuses to check you in if you lack an onward ticket within 30 days (and, if you encounter this, it really is 30 days).

Hi,

I got in Savannakhet my multiple entry non o marraige visa this September. So, I need to do my first 90 day stamp in about 3 months.

Please, my question is: in a case of a border run for the stamp can I get into Laos and the same day return back to Thailand or I have to stay in Laos overnight?

About 60 days extension all is clear but a border run may be more convenient for me as I need no entrance visa to Laos.

Cheers

22 minutes ago, Oleg57 said:

Hi,

I got in Savannakhet my multiple entry non o marraige visa this September. So, I need to do my first 90 day stamp in about 3 months.

Please, my question is: in a case of a border run for the stamp can I get into Laos and the same day return back to Thailand or I have to stay in Laos overnight?

About 60 days extension all is clear but a border run may be more convenient for me as I need no entrance visa to Laos.

Cheers

You can cross and then turnaround and come right back. No need for an overnight stay.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
3 hours ago, Oleg57 said:

Hi,

Cheers

You can cross and then turnaround and come right back. No need for an overnight stay.

Dear ubonjoe! Thank you very much for help! It is a big relief to know that it would take not too long to get through. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 30 day visa exempt entry + 30 day extension expires soon . The nice lady at the sisaket immigration office said I could cross at chong mek and when I come back into LOS come to her and I could get a 2 month visa due to the birth or my son (1/2 Thai 1/2 british) if I presented her with all the paperwork required . 

My question/s are

1.can I cross at chong mek and come back same day ? And   2. is it ok to do 2 x30 day visa exempt entries back to back ? 3. What type of visa is this called the nice lady in sisaket refered to ( due to the new baby ).   Hope this make sense .. thanks in advance for any assistance .

Edited by Macthehat
Spelling check

18 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

My 30 day visa exempt entry + 30 day extension expires soon . The nice lady at the sisaket immigration office said I could cross at chong mek and when I come back into LOS come to her and I could get a 2 month visa due to the birth or my son (1/2 Thai 1/2 british) if I presented her with all the paperwork required . 

My question/s are

1.can I cross at chong mek and come back same day ? And   2. is it ok to do 2 x30 day visa exempt entries back to back ? 3. What type of visa is this called the nice lady in sisaket referee to ( due to the new baby ).   Hope this make sense .. thanks in advance for any assistance .

No problem to get another visa exempt entry. You can do it at the Chong Mek crossing here in Ubon or the Chong Sa Ngam (Phu Sing) crossing in Sisaket.

You would apply for a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your son. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and copy of their house book registry.

• Like 1