Border Run Alternatives

I'm entering Thailand via Poipet with a UK passport, will I get a 30 day visa exemption?

Does anyone know if I can extend this by a further 30 days at the immigration office in Samui or will/can I fly to KL and get another 30 days?

Thanks in advance.

You will get 30 days when you enter at Poipet (G7 rule).

You can get a 30 day extension of your your 30 day visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Hi again. I read here in forum that only 90 days would be allowed on a back-to-back-visa-exempt-based permit to stay in the country. Is this still active and will it be applied also when i make a border-"flight" by plane (like flying to KL and back sam day). Last time ive flown to KL and i was already over 90 days, they didnt say anything but now i get a little bit scared.

Im here 6 months now and a bit afraid that i get rejected when in KL trying to fly back into TH. The reason why it takes long now is that im still waiting on my documents that i need for marriage. As soon i have them i get a needed doc at embassy in Th and finally can get married. I expect these papers in 1 or 2 days, sadly too late because my extension ends at the same time...

You think i can get another exempt stamp? I can show that my income comes from outside over western union... if that helps.

Hi again. I read here in forum that only 90 days would be allowed on a back-to-back-visa-exempt-based permit to stay in the country. Is this still active and will it be applied also when i make a border-"flight" by plane (like flying to KL and back sam day). Last time ive flown to KL and i was already over 90 days, they didnt say anything but now i get a little bit scared.

Im here 6 months now and a bit afraid that i get rejected when in KL trying to fly back into TH. The reason why it takes long now is that im still waiting on my documents that i need for marriage. As soon i have them i get a needed doc at embassy in Th and finally can get married. I expect these papers in 1 or 2 days, sadly too late because my extension ends at the same time...

You think i can get another exempt stamp? I can show that my income comes from outside over western union... if that helps.

There is no 90 day limit. There are only 4 border crossing to Cambodia that are not allowing them on a case by case if a person has 90 days total.

If you get to the point of having 6 exempt entries the officer may get an alert that you have reached that amount. He may question you as to what you are doing here.

You should not have a problem doing another entry by air.

If it was enough time you could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht be given 7 days to leave the country.

Thanks for the info Joe, informal and fast as always.

But i have never heard of a 7 day extension, you mean i can do that even now after i already got my visa ecempt extension of 30 days?

I ask because that would give me probably enough time to get the documents for marry.

And another thing, you say there is no 90 day limit. So does this mean that visa exemption runs (to Lao border for example) are now possible again?

I just wonder because thaivisaservice still has this line on the website:

Visa exempt, 15/30 day stamp, possible with some restriction: You are allowed a total of 90 days under visa exempt per calendar year. Edited by byteHunter

Yes you can apply for the 7 day extension at an immigration office after getting a 30 day extension.

Visa exempt entries at the Lao borders never stopped. That was only at the 4 crossings to Cambodia I mentioned.

That info on Thaivisaservice.com only applies to the Cambodia crossings I mentioned.

Thanks for the info Joe, informal and fast as always.

But i have never heard of a 7 day extension, you mean i can do that even now after i already got my visa ecempt extension of 30 days?

I ask because that would give me probably enough time to get the documents for marry.

And another thing, you say there is no 90 day limit. So does this mean that visa exemption runs (to Lao border for example) are now possible again?

I just wonder because thaivisaservice still has this line on the website:

Visa exempt, 15/30 day stamp, possible with some restriction: You are allowed a total of 90 days under visa exempt per calendar year.

Technically, it is not an extension though it comes to the same thing. You are asking for an extension which they refuse, instead giving you 7 days to leave the country. You must leave within this period.

From Chiang Mai :

To : Mae Sot ? or Mae Sai ?

I had a Multi Entry Tourist VISA and did the LONG Vientiane bus trip (just came back Dec. 1st 2015 - only stayed there about 7 hours and came back through - no problems) I must try to get another METV by Jan 29, 2016 ... so IF I want another METV, can it be done in either of the 2 mentioned above Mae Sot or Sai?

Another question that you may NOT be able to answer :
Regarding extra pages for US Passports ... what is the latest I can have them added or am I already to late ?

A METV ?

From Chiang Mai :

I had a Multi Entry Tourist VISA and did the LONG Vientiane bus trip (just came back Dec. 1st 2015 - only stayed there about 7 hours and came back through - no problems) I must try to get another METV by Jan 29, 2016 ... so IF I want another METV, can it be done in either of the 2 mentioned above Mae Sot or Sai?

Regarding extra pages for US Passports ... what is the latest I can have them added or am I already to late ?

A METV can only be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your own country.

Edited by expatbrit

From Chiang Mai :

I assume you had a double entry or triple entry tourist visa. You did a border hop to use the last entry. The visa is now stamped "Used". Am I correct so far?

Your last entry on the old visa expires Jan 29 2016. You can optionally extend it 30 days, until Feb 28 2016, at an immigration office (without leaving the country) for 1,900 baht.

Double entry and triple entry tourist visas no longer exist as of Nov 23 2015.

There is a new visa type called a "multiple entry tourist visa" or METV. This allows unlimited entries over a 6-month period. This is not available for non residents at any of the consulates in neighbouring countries. It is safest to assume you can only receive it in your home country. Documented requirements for the visa are quite onerous, but there is limited evidence that these requirements are relaxed in some countries.

In neighbouring counties, you can now only get a single entry tourist visa.

From Chiang Mai :

I assume mean a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa not a METV. Since November 13th only a single entry tourist visa is available, The real METV that came into effect then can only be applied for in the states in your case.

If you still have entries left on your visa you can do still use them at Mae Sot or Mae Sai. To get a visa you have to go to an embassy or consulate.

December 30th is the last day you can have pages added to your passport.

...Regarding extra pages for US Passports ... what is the latest I can have them added or am I already to late ?

Consider that a new passport removes evidence of previous visas, which may be helpful in getting new visas at nearby consulates. Whether extra pages is a better choice depends on your future Thai-visa plans.

...Regarding extra pages for US Passports ... what is the latest I can have them added or am I already to late ?

Consider that a new passport removes evidence of previous visas, which may be helpful in getting new visas at nearby consulates. Whether extra pages is a better choice depends on your future Thai-visa plans.

People keep saying this, but it is untrue. The consulates can check all your previous visa applications on their computer using name, nationality and birth date. The immigration database, checked at border entry points, automatically cross references old and new passports.

It will occasionally happen that cross referencing of new and old passports will not occur for one reason or another. This is due to a procedural error and not common. It will mean that immigration at entry points will not have access to history of entries, and even blacklisted individuals might sneak through. It can also happen that a busy consulate may not bother to check your visa history on their computer.

Bottom line: if you rely on the Thai authorities not being computerised, you may well be in for a nasty shock.

I read through this forum and I would like to double check that my Thailand travel itinerary will work:

I am a US citizen flying into Bangkok January 6th and flying back March 23 (total of 79 days). This is the first time I will ever be in Thailand. I am from Dallas, TX and so traveling to DC for a 60-day tourist visa sounded much less convenient than just getting the visa exemption on arrival.

In order to make sure I am in Bangkok for my return flight to the states while not overstaying my visit I see there to be two options:

Option 1)

Get back-to-back 30-day visa exemption extensions at immigration offices.

Questions regarding this plan:

• Do they have immigration offices in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai? - I would like to spend the second part of my trip in the northern region and it would be most expedient for me not to travel back south to get an extension.
  • Is there any record of immigration officials refusing to grant these exemptions twice in a row?
  • Are officials likely to scrutinize me for not having a return ticket booked for within the extension I request?
  • If I want to leave the country to visit Angkor Wat, will they grant me a new 30-day extension automatically upon return via land border at Poi Pet? -This question brings me to option 2.

Option 2)

When the first 30-day exemption ends I will travel to from Bangkok to Poi Pet , visit Angkor Wat for a few days, gain new 30-day exemption on return to Thailand (via land), purchase final 30-day exemption extension before this exemption ends.

Questions regarding this plan:

• As a US citizen will my exemption be 30-days or 7-days while arriving by land as of the recent immigration laws? -This is where I'm finding the most confusion.
  • Would it be safer for me to fly back to Bangkok or Chiang Mai from Cambodia so as to arrive by air and be assured a new 30-day exemption?

Can someone who is up to date on the visa exemption extension and the Poi Pet land crossing review this plan and share their wisdom? Much thanks for any help you can offer.

Immigration offices are in all areas, the first drawback with your lazyness to get the correct visa for your trip is, without a visa or a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival you may be denied boarding by your airline of choice.

only one 30 day extension is allowed per entry.

US citizens are given 30 day visa exempt entry at both land and air borders.

Get a visa, do it right, do it without problems.

There is an honorary Thai consulate in Dallas where you could get a tourist visa.

ROYAL THAI HONORARY CONSULATE-GENERAL

5301 Spring Valley Road, Suite 200

Dallas, TX 75254

Tel: (972) 788-1400

Fax: (972) 788-2667

Direct (972) 450-7342

E-mail: [email protected]

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (Appointment required)

Honorary Consul-General : Mr. W. Forrest Smith

People keep saying this, but it is untrue. The consulates can check all your previous visa applications on their computer using name, nationality and birth date. The immigration database, checked at border entry points, automatically cross references old and new passports.

It will occasionally happen that cross referencing of new and old passports will not occur for one reason or another. This is due to a procedural error and not common. It will mean that immigration at entry points will not have access to history of entries, and even blacklisted individuals might sneak through. It can also happen that a busy consulate may not bother to check your visa history on their computer.

Bottom line: if you rely on the Thai authorities not being computerised, you may well be in for a nasty shock.

You are absolutely correct about Immigration computers and, yes, old and new passports will be linked in their systems. For example, your VisaExempt entry history may persist, and raise a red-flag upon attempted entry, if over 6 have been issued (we do not know over what time period the 6 are counted).

But for the time-being, consulates in nearby locations do not have this access and/or use it if available. As many here have documented, obtaining a new passport allows one to obtain visas at consulates who did not offer them on the old passport, due to "having too many Thai visas / stamps".

If you have examples where obtaining a new passport failed to allow a person to obtain a visa at a consulate, when the reason for denial was "too many Thai visas / stamps," please let us know at what consulates, so we can avoid those consulates.

If the car is 100% owned by you and you have obtained a "passport" for the car it might be possissible

For example, if i will leave a car on a border in Thailand, then go through the border and go back. What about this situation? smile.png

You can get another entry from visa at any border crossing.

So I'm back in Thailand thank God.

This time I really had a little bit hard time....

Just for the ones not read about it, I'm in Thailand now for 7 months on visa exempts and extensions of them in immigration.

Usually I either do a border run or fly out/in. But this time I got questioned in Don Mueang upon arrival from KL.

The women on counter didn't want to let me back in, asked her colleagues who couldn't help her. In the end I ended up in the office of the chief of operations and had to explain why I'm in Thailand.

I expected this tbh so I took all the receipts from Western union with me. Also I will Marry soon and had all the documents needed for it with me too. I explained that I'm not working here and that I get my money from Germany over WU.

And that I don't have married and changed to non o because I wait for some more documents for marry. The chief was nice and didn't ask much more after seeing the over 10 WU receipts and told the desk women to let me in.

So for the others who go my way, get your story ready and bring whatever you can. I'm pretty sure that without the WU stuff I wouldn't be in Thailand now.

• Like 1