Border Run Alternatives

Quick question for the savvy: I understand that one can obtain re-entry permits at some airports such as Chiang Mai, apparently there are desks close to the emmigration area. Someone has said, it has to be done on the day of travel because you need a boarding pass. Is this true because surely we have smart phones and e-tickets which remove the need for the old-fashioned boarding passes?

I've been to at least one airport in Australia where I picked up my inbound boarding pass at the same time as my outbound boarding pass for a day trip! Not sure if that's arrived in Asia yet....

I haven't gone through the re-entry procedure. But isn't a boarding pass still a boarding pass if it is in the smartphone?

If you got an electronic boarding pass via on-line check-in, maybe it is a good idea to print it out for re-entry permit application. (If you check-in at the airport, I guess you always get a physical boarding card.)

Thanks. I hear you. If I understand a visa 'run', this is a outbound and inbound flight on the same day. I'm entering on a non-immigrant O visa and then plan to spend one month in Malaysia, returning to Thailand/ Am I to understand that I can re-enter Thailand for another 3 months as long as the original 3 month visa hasn't run out? Thanks.
If you re-enter using a re-entry permit you will only get the remainder of the initial 90 days.

Quick question for the savvy: I understand that one can obtain re-entry permits at some airports such as Chiang Mai, apparently there are desks close to the emmigration area. Someone has said, it has to be done on the day of travel because you need a boarding pass. Is this true because surely we have smart phones and e-tickets which remove the need for the old-fashioned boarding passes?

I've been to at least one airport in Australia where I picked up my inbound boarding pass at the same time as my outbound boarding pass for a day trip! Not sure if that's arrived in Asia yet....

I haven't gone through the re-entry procedure. But isn't a boarding pass still a boarding pass if it is in the smartphone?

If you got an electronic boarding pass via on-line check-in, maybe it is a good idea to print it out for re-entry permit application. (If you check-in at the airport, I guess you always get a physical boarding card.)

Thanks. I hear you. If I understand a visa 'run', this is a outbound and inbound flight on the same day. I'm entering on a non-immigrant O visa and then plan to spend one month in Malaysia, returning to Thailand/ Am I to understand that I can re-enter Thailand for another 3 months as long as the original 3 month visa hasn't run out? Thanks.
If you re-enter using a re-entry permit you will only get the remainder of the initial 90 days.

Am I being a div, but haven't people on the forum been saying that if you exit on a 3 month/one year visa, you get another 3 months/one year. What have I missed? Is this policy only valid on the one year visa, then?

Am I being a div, but haven't people on the forum been saying that if you exit on a 3 month/one year visa, you get another 3 months/one year. What have I missed? Is this policy only valid on the one year visa, then?

Do you have a single entry visa valid for 3 months or a multiple entry visa valid for 1 year?

I sure could use some help and not sure where to post but its on same topic.

How many days do I get if I cross the border by land from Cambodia?

I have been back and forth between Thailand and Cambodia over the last year and usually fly to get the 30 days but the question is do I get 30 from ground border crossing for US citizen who has not been in Thailand for the past 60 days? I have been in Cambodia for 60 days this time and going back to Thailand and need 30 days if possible before I go to another country. I am US citizen.

Thank you!!

I sure could use some help and not sure where to post but its on same topic.

How many days do I get if I cross the border by land from Cambodia?

I have been back and forth between Thailand and Cambodia over the last year and usually fly to get the 30 days but the question is do I get 30 from ground border crossing for US citizen who has not been in Thailand for the past 60 days? I have been in Cambodia for 60 days this time and going back to Thailand and need 30 days if possible before I go to another country. I am US citizen.

Thank you!!

You will get a 30 day entry at a border crossing since your are from the states (G7 country rule).

• Like 1

@johnatong I will promise to photocopy my one year visa in my passport when I get it unless I decide to go for the 3 month version...the paperwork for which is far less stringent, no bank references, no medical, no criminal record check.

Below you will see that there are two O visas for 50 plus year olds (see numbers 7 & 8). The O-A category includes other applicant profiles as well . Below is a copy from the Royal Thai Embassy webpage on the different TYPES of visa (http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44) so that you can see in summary what is available,

Visa Type

Fee (£)

1. Transit (3 months validity/single entry)

2. Tourist (3 months validity/Up to 60 days/Single)

3. Tourist (6 months validity/Up to 60 days/Multiple Entries)

4. Non-Immigrant (3 months validity/Single Entry/up to 90 days)

5. Non-Immigrant (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries)

6. Non-Immigrant (3 year validity/ Multiple Entries)

7. Non-Immigrant O (3 months validity/ Single Entry/Up to 1 year)

8. Non-Immigrant O (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries/Up to 1 year)

I think yo'all are younger than me which is why you're not so familiar with the Non-Immigrant O visas. There is a visa for 50+ year olds and one for 60+ year olds. The paperwork for each is different. For my category, Applicant must be aged 50 years and over / is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year./ strictly prohibited from working (number 8).

And yes the agent WAS wrong. According to the above, taken from the Royal Thai Embassy website (http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188), she completely missed the one year multiple entry visa. Regarding the Visa on Arrival (VOA), this should really be called, G7 exemption visa. Do read and be enlightened...

Tourist Visa Exemption Since 20 December 2013,Nationals of (G7) the following countries who enter via a land crossing or enter via an airport will be entitled to a 30 day visa exemption , UK, U.S.A, Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, France

Let’s not be calling each other stupid before doing the basic research….

Thanks ----That appears to be an edited version of the website page not a direct copy/past/

-I hope you also read and understood this "Category "O" ..To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

But I wish you well and hope you get the "O" visa once you have evidenced receipt of your State Pension. If you cannot do that an "O" visa will not be issued but as you are over 50 the O/A visa option remains

Yeah, we absolutely have such a not knowing clientel of people want to sign on this forum. Actually if people were read up to date everything would be a bliss.

Like this! If you stay in Thailand alone and single. You must be 50 for a holder of a Non-O visa. If you have a child with or are married to a thai woman, you can actually get the same visa at 19 years of age.

However if you choose to stay alone and be single, you must can show minimum 65000 bath a month or equal to 800000 bath a year, and them you are going to be on a retirement visa, means 50 and up.

If you have a child to visit and be with or a family you have to show 40000 bath a month.

@Unbonjoe Thanks for pointing this out. I did indeed miss this fact! I await confirmation from my contact in the UK at the Thai Embassy/Consulate for insider information - if they would just pick up the wretched phone!

@ Caron 2311

I think you're being unduly pessimistic. Not ALL people are trying to CHEAT the system as you have assumed. I simply wish to enter by land and 25 years ago, this was meant the usual automatic 30 visa was reduced to 15 days. I know the rules changed in 2014. but didn't know if it affected my O visa of which there are two types. I would have to pretty stupid not to check and cross check any new information. And this is what I'm doing....

Moreover, I'm not talking about an 0-A visa as this is a CATtegory, not a visa type! I'm only interested in the Non-Immigrant O visa.

It is NOT called, as you suggest, a "NON-O visa"..... if you want to be pedantic. In English, this would be a highly misleading lable as the prefix 'non' is, indubitably, a negative.

There is also another retirement visa for the 60+ year olds which is yet another category. I don't know which country you live in; but I live in France and we retire at 50 for femailes and 55 for males so there are slightly different paperwork requirements. So, while I'm using the UK as a base line, I do not come under their rules. There are less stringent rules, in fact.

Try not to be so UK-centric! The G7 consists of 7 countries not just the UK! And while I hold a UK passport,not all UK citizens reSIDE there - and in my case, until recently, I had not lived in Europe for more than 30 years. You will, I hope, understand if I'm a little out of touch with the current rules for UK citizens and residents of other European countries.

I can, however, advise you on work visas for Australia if you're earning over 100,000 Australian dollars and legal ways to reduce your 50% tax burden. It's horses for courses mate!

As for the so called two different Non-O visas, which it´s actually called on the stamp in your passport by the way, there is really only one type. It´s just that you have the option to choose 3 month with single entry or 1 year which automatically comes with mutiple entry. That´s because you as you know already only can be in the country for a maximum of 90 days allowed.

Regarding that everybody try to cheat the system was not directly pointed at you. Just something that was a general thought. It simply just looks like that to me. The most simple thing is to go by the rules. Even if the rules are up to the immigration officer at hand and can change from one place to another. As a foreigner there is absolutely nothing more to du, than give them what they ask for and apply with the rules att the immigration checkpoint you pass by.

One example of that is: When you apply for a 1 year visa at the embassy in the country you come fromand they do not ask for an income letter or a copy of a bank statement with proof of sufficent financial means, does not mean that the immigration officer is going to leave that alone. Ha can simply at the checkpoint or att the immigration office you visit ask you for that in the middle of your visa period to approve another 90 days.

That you got your visa at the Thai embassy means that you have a visa to show at the checkpoints, but it does not mean that you automatically are going to be allowed to enter the country. That is totally up to the the immigration checkpoint and the officer at hand.

Understood. I will be entering on a non-immigrant O visa for old people (50+). It will be a single entry.

@johnatong I will promise to photocopy my one year visa in my passport when I get it unless I decide to go for the 3 month version...the paperwork for which is far less stringent, no bank references, no medical, no criminal record check.

Below you will see that there are two O visas for 50 plus year olds (see numbers 7 & 8). The O-A category includes other applicant profiles as well . Below is a copy from the Royal Thai Embassy webpage on the different TYPES of visa (http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44) so that you can see in summary what is available,

Visa Type

Fee (£)

I think yo'all are younger than me which is why you're not so familiar with the Non-Immigrant O visas. There is a visa for 50+ year olds and one for 60+ year olds. The paperwork for each is different. For my category, Applicant must be aged 50 years and over / is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year./ strictly prohibited from working (number 8).

And yes the agent WAS wrong. According to the above, taken from the Royal Thai Embassy website (http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188), she completely missed the one year multiple entry visa. Regarding the Visa on Arrival (VOA), this should really be called, G7 exemption visa. Do read and be enlightened...

Tourist Visa Exemption Since 20 December 2013,Nationals of (G7) the following countries who enter via a land crossing or enter via an airport will be entitled to a 30 day visa exemption , UK, U.S.A, Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, France

Thanks ----That appears to be an edited version of the website page not a direct copy/past/

-I hope you also read and understood this "Category "O" ..To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, retirement (with State Pension)

But I wish you well and hope you get the "O" visa once you have evidenced receipt of your State Pension. If you cannot do that an "O" visa will not be issued but as you are over 50 the O/A visa option remains

Yeah, we absolutely have such a not knowing clientel of people want to sign on this forum. Actually if people were read up to date everything would be a bliss.

Like this! If you stay in Thailand alone and single. You must be 50 for a holder of a Non-O visa. If you have a child with or are married to a thai woman, you can actually get the same visa at 19 years of age.

However if you choose to stay alone and be single, you must can show minimum 65000 bath a month or equal to 800000 bath a year, and them you are going to be on a retirement visa, means 50 and up.

If you have a child to visit and be with or a family you have to show 40000 bath a month.

Once again Carson 2311, let's not get snotty over this. We're all ignorant, only on different subjects.

I will be entering on a single entry, non-immigrant O visa (for people aged 50+), number 4 above and - showing YOUR ignorance here, I do NOT need to be on a state pension as I'm applying from FRANCE and the requirements are slightly different than for UK citizens who are also "UK residents".

Don't be calling others ignorant when you yourself don't know everything. You make a whole lot of presumptions and it makes you look like "an arrogant ass". And this is 'moi' an old woman calling you that!

Edited by Seraphina

Visa Type

Fee (£)

Once again Carson 2311, let's not get snotty over this. We're all ignorant, only on different subjects.

I will be entering on a single entry, non-immigrant O visa (for people aged 50+), number 4 above and - showing YOUR ignorance here, I do NOT need to be on a state pension as I'm applying from FRANCE and the requirements are slightly different than for UK citizens who are also "UK residents".

Don't be calling others ignorant when you yourself don't know everything. You make a whole lot of presumptions and it makes you look like "an arrogant ass". And this is 'moi' an old woman calling you that!

I actually not care over what you call me. I have been staying fro 16 years with no problem. That makes me a kind of person who know how to stay.

Unfortunately that can´t be said about you.

However I would really suggest that more people like you ask the right authorities before entering the country. With that siad I sincerely hope that you are clever enogh to know where to turn.

Does that make it hard for you???

Edited by Carson2311

@Johnatong I hear you.

Since I'm applying from France as a French resident and only for the non-immig. O, single entry visa, I don't need to be on a state pension!

I have posted the requirements on a sister page to this one, entitled: "Obtaining an O-A visa while residing in France".

In case smartypants, Carson 2311, wants to prove I'm wrong, I've taken the trouble to posted the O and the OA documents here.

They are, of course, in French; but everyone in my immediate social circle, including my English friends, have at least rudimentary French and could easily cross check them. It should be noted neither mentions a state pension in any language!

And in case, know-it-all Carson tells me he speaks Thai, I assure you, I am certified to speak French, German and Arabic. Chinese is my mother-tongue.

Non immigrant O visa_exigences obligatoires en francais_3 mois.pdf

Non immigrant OA visa_exigences obligatoires en francais_ un an.pdf

To a mod: please.move this to an own topic if its the wrong place here.

Sorry if this has been answered but I went through the last pages and didn't find the answer.

How is the situation actually with border runs? Im German, arrived on a 60 day tourist visa and extended it for 30 days. Can I make a visa exempt entry at Poi Pet or Aranjapratheet at the moment with this (short) history? Thanks for answers.

<deleted> I will stay here with the right visa, soon. I will marry soon here and wait for a document needed by German embassy that my parents send by post. It has not arrived yet so I want to get 30 days more

Edited by Maestro
Deleted irrelevant part of the post, to forestall a disruptive off-topic discussion.

Thanks Boycie. Just in case anyone is vaguely interested, I did a "border run" two days ago and got an extra year on my O-A multi-entry visa. It took about 4 hours to drive from just south of Hua Hin to Ban Phu Nam Ron (we took the "scenic" route via Suan Pheung) and about half an hour to do the crossing into Burma and back. We arrived at the border around 2 pm and it was pretty much deserted. I was the only passenger on the mini-bus that took me across the border and back.

Hope this is the right question for this topic .

My question is with the new regulations about Visas is it the same application for a person that the country is part of the G7 group be getting a 30 days stay even if doing a border run back same day.

Thank you for your reply.

Hope this is the right question for this topic .

My question is with the new regulations about Visas is it the same application for a person that the country is part of the G7 group be getting a 30 days stay even if doing a border run back same day.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, nationals from G7 countries get 30 days.

I just want to make sure I have this stuff right since the rules keep changing:

I am an American and hold a US passport ... My wife was born in the Philippines, but now is a US citizen and holds a US passport.

We will be flying to Thailand from Manila, Philippines ... We will be staying in Pattaya while in Thailand.

We both will enter Thailand without any Thai visas. I understand we will both get a 30 day stamp (Visa Exempt Entry) on arrival.

I also understand that we can get a 30 day extension at the Immigration Office in Pattaya for 1900 Baht each, which then extends our stay to a total of 60 days.

My question is ... Once we get close to that 60 days, can we still do one of those bus / van style "Visa Runs" from Pattaya to somewhere in order to get another 30 day Visa Exempt Entry?

If so, can that new 30 day Visa Exempt Entry also be extended for 30 more days?

Thanks,

I just want to make sure I have this stuff right since the rules keep changing:

I am an American and hold a US passport ... My wife was born in the Philippines, but now is a US citizen and holds a US passport.

We will be flying to Thailand from Manila, Philippines ... We will be staying in Pattaya while in Thailand.

We both will enter Thailand without any Thai visas. I understand we will both get a 30 day stamp (Visa Exempt Entry) on arrival.

I also understand that we can get a 30 day extension at the Immigration Office in Pattaya for 1900 Baht each, which then extends our stay to a total of 60 days.

My question is ... Once we get close to that 60 days, can we still do one of those bus / van style "Visa Runs" from Pattaya to somewhere in order to get another 30 day Visa Exempt Entry?

If so, can that new 30 day Visa Exempt Entry also be extended for 30 more days?

Thanks,

Yes, with US passports you'll get 30 days that can be extended by 30 days (1,900 baht).

Yes, with US passports you'll get 30 days that can be extended by 30 days (1,900 baht).

Thanks for the confirmation ... Initial 30 days + 30 day extension = 60 days

Now my question is ... Can I then make one of those 'Visa Runs' that are advertised by companies in Pattaya that bus you to a checkpoint outside of Thailand and return with another 30-day Visa Exempt Entry (which now equals 90 days total time in Thailand) ?

Now my question is ... Can I then make one of those 'Visa Runs' that are advertised by companies in Pattaya that bus you to a checkpoint outside of Thailand and return with another 30-day Visa Exempt Entry (which now equals 90 days total time in Thailand) ?

Trying to get 3 visas exempt entries back to back is possible but if the IO believes you might be working here they may deny entry or question you about what you are doing here. Having proof of an onward flight would help. The company that you use for the visa run will be able to best advise you at the time as they frequently visits these borders.

Trying to get 3 visas exempt entries back to back is possible but if the IO believes you might be working here they may deny entry or question you about what you are doing here. Having proof of an onward flight would help. The company that you use for the visa run will be able to best advise you at the time as they frequently visits these borders.

Thanks a bunch !

• 3 weeks later...

Is possible to fly to KL and get back to Bangkok on the same day? I need only 14 days before I fly to Europe (already have the tickets printed out).

Yes it is. You'll be granted 30 days as long as you qualify for visa exempt entry.

Hello. I have METV. I want to live in th of course this almost 9 months.

What situation is on Cambodia border ? Can I take bus and go back th at same day?

Yes you can since you have a valid visa for re-entry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Sojuncoke said:

If I have 2 back to back in and out cambodia boredr runs will I be able to do it again? US citizen

It's possible, but not guaranteed. The Thai/Cambodian crossings have a limit of 90 days per year, but can deny anyone that they consider is a 'visa runner'. If possible avoid the Aranyapathet/Poipet crossing.

Edited by elviajero

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It's possible, but not guaranteed. The Thai/Cambodian crossings have a limit of 90 days per year, but can deny anyone that they consider is a 'visa runner'. If possible avoid the Aranyapathet/Poipet crossing.

thanks. KL for me it is then 

12 hours ago, Sojuncoke said:

thanks. KL for me it is then 

If you intend to do KL on a Friday afternoon or a holiday weekend, give yourself lots of time to clear immigration. They finger print and photograph absolutely everybody and the line up can be easily 2 hours to get through at times. f you haven't been before, take some time out in the city. It's a great place with some great eating, shopping and much cheaper and cleaner than Bangkok. Hotel Royal Kualar Lumpar is a pretty decent hotel, not expensive and in a good area to explore around for a couple of days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, aquario33 said:

without spending a night?

Yes.

As long as you don't have a history of multiple visa exempt entries you should have no problem with an out/in visa exempt entry at either Nong Khai or Mukdahan.

The only crossing that might not allow a visa exempt out/in entry is Chiang Khong.