Border Run Alternatives

No.

You have already entered the country with a non immigrant visa so you can apply for an extension of stay for any reason you qualify for. When you renew your permit to stay all you need to do is supply the paperwork for an extension based on retirement.

Thanks
I am currently on a 1 year extion based on thai child already, so does that mean i can apply for a further 1 year extension based on retirement at kap choeng. Without having to go to laos for a 90 day non O
Thanks again

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

56 minutes ago, llhm2711 said:

Thanks
I am currently on a 1 year extion based on thai child already, so does that mean i can apply for a further 1 year extension based on retirement at kap choeng. Without having to go to laos for a 90 day non O
Thanks again

Yes you can.

59 minutes ago, llhm2711 said:

Great! 1 last question...
My visa extension expire mar 17. Am i ok to apply around the 4th or 5th mar?
And thank you again so much

• You can apply within the 30 (maybe 45) days before the current extension expires.
  • The new 1 year extension will start from the end of the expiring one regardless how early you apply.
  • If applying for an extension based on retirement, and using cash in the bank, the 800K will need to be in the bank for 3 months before the day you apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, 

I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted to reenter Thailand without any issues? As I heard there was a new visa rule that was enforced recently (Two Border Runs Per Each Calendar Year)

I am a Filipino citizen residing in Malaysia. I have numerous Thai stamps on my passport so I am planning to use Sadao/Dannok border post while staying there for a night before heading back to Malaysia. I have been using this  border post since last year and relying on it up to now.

If that's the case, are there any alternatives that you guys are doing? What I have in mind is to fly to Had Yai (or Bangkok) then travel back to Malaysia overland.

Thanks guys, BTW I'm new to the forum :P

1 hour ago, jrafraf73998 said:

Hey Guys, 

I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted to reenter Thailand without any issues? As I heard there was a new visa rule that was enforced recently (Two Border Runs Per Each Calendar Year)

I am a Filipino citizen residing in Malaysia. I have numerous Thai stamps on my passport so I am planning to use Sadao/Dannok border post while staying there for a night before heading back to Malaysia. I have been using this  border post since last year and relying on it up to now.

If that's the case, are there any alternatives that you guys are doing? What I have in mind is to fly to Had Yai (or Bangkok) then travel back to Malaysia overland.

Thanks guys, BTW I'm new to the forum :P

I replied to this post you did in another topic.

7 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

so is there a visa run that can be done in a day, there and bac from bangkok, by coach ?

You can go to one of the crossings to Cambodia. What are you wanting to get at the border.

There are companies that make the runs.

What are the requirements at present for a Category -O  visa for retirement in Penang ?  I know about the 800k in a Thai bank account with a letter from the bank with bank book copy's  or a pension letter from the British Embassy with 65k a month. What proof of address do you need will a copy of the condo lease do?  Will you need a medical certificate? or any other certificate from the police?  

Thank you

regards

Scotsman    

7 hours ago, scotsman said:

What are the requirements at present for a Category -O  visa for retirement in Penang ?  I know about the 800k in a Thai bank account with a letter from the bank with bank book copy's  or a pension letter from the British Embassy with 65k a month. What proof of address do you need will a copy of the condo lease do?  Will you need a medical certificate? or any other certificate from the police?  

Thank you

regards

Scotsman    

No proof of address or a medical/police certificate is needed.

If you are using the money in the bank to apply for the non-o at Penang you will also need a income letter or some other proof you are retired from your  embassy.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No proof of address or a medical/police certificate is needed.

If you are using the money in the bank to apply for the non-o at Penang you will also need a income letter or some other proof you are retired from your  embassy.

Yes he has all that but the pension letter from the embassy will now be 1 month old will that still be OK to use he also has some pension payslips from his company pension also the letter from the bangkok bank verifying the bank books.

Again thank you for the advice.

regards 

Scotsman 

4 minutes ago, scotsman said:

Yes he has all that but the pension letter from the embassy will now be 1 month old will that still be OK to use he also has some pension payslips from his company pension also the letter from the bangkok bank verifying the bank books.

Again thank you for the advice.

regards 

Scotsman 

A month old income letter will be accepted. No need for pension slips. Just his bank books showing the money in the bank will be enough.

• Like 1

Is it still possible to do a land visa run across the Friendship Bridge?

I already have one visa-exempt entry in January, by air to KUL & back to Thailand. Before that, I entered on an SETV from Hong Kong in late October, 2016. 

I believe that you can have 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year, by air or by land. So I'm thinking of just crossing in and out of Laos, without actually leaving the border area.

I am also considering getting an SETV in Vientiane -- but I have the "red stamp" for too many 2-entry TV's in a row from Vientiane -- "red stamp" was in June, 2015, nearly 2 years ago.

I'll probably get a new passport at a US consulate in Thailand during my next entry.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Scott3000 said:

Is it still possible to do a land visa run across the Friendship Bridge?

I already have one visa-exempt entry in January, by air to KUL & back to Thailand. Before that, I entered on an SETV from Hong Kong in late October, 2016. 

I believe that you can have 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year, by air or by land. So I'm thinking of just crossing in and out of Laos, without actually leaving the border area.

I am also considering getting an SETV in Vientiane -- but I have the "red stamp" for too many 2-entry TV's in a row from Vientiane -- "red stamp" was in June, 2015, nearly 2 years ago.

I'll probably get a new passport at a US consulate in Thailand during my next entry.

Thanks!

You are restricted to 2 visa entries by land only, not air.

Yes you should be able to do a border hop for a new visa exempt entry at either friendship bridge.

Thakhek -Nakhon Phanom crossing restricted to listed countries .........Ubon Joe can provide perhaps?

getting IN Laos no problem at the VOA office

Vice versa for many nationalities not possible.......i thought!!

8 hours ago, hgma said:

Thakhek -Nakhon Phanom crossing restricted to listed countries .........Ubon Joe can provide perhaps?

getting IN Laos no problem at the VOA office

Vice versa for many nationalities not possible.......i thought!!

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. There are no restrictions I am aware of are specific to the Thakhek crossing. The vast majority of nationalities are eligible for Lao visa on arrival. Of those, all who have a valid unexpired Thai visa can use it to return to Thailand. Without a valid, unexpired Thai visa, only nationalities entitled to a Thai visa exempt entry will be able to use the crossing. On exit, Thai immigration will usually check your eligibility to cross back into Thailand before you leave, and warn you, if appropriate,. giving you the opportunity to change your mind about leaving.

I read the last 10 pages and couldn't find the answer so I'm looking for some help if possible

I'm currently using my 3rd Visa exempt (air-entry) since June 2016, two of which I extended @60 Days, and I was wondering what would be the "easiest / optimal" way to stay for at least 6+ Months (mainly to replace the monthly Airbnb by a 6 Months lease on a condo) :

- I've seen that there is a "2 per year" visa exempt entry limit by Land, is there any limit coming from Air ? 

- How many Single entry tourist visa may I do back to back ? And same thing for the METV

thanks for your time !

19 minutes ago, bobyalseor said:

I read the last 10 pages and couldn't find the answer so I'm looking for some help if possible

I'm currently using my 3rd Visa exempt (air-entry) since June 2016, two of which I extended @60 Days, and I was wondering what would be the "easiest / optimal" way to stay for at least 6+ Months (mainly to replace the monthly Airbnb by a 6 Months lease on a condo) :

- I've seen that there is a "2 per year" visa exempt entry limit by Land, is there any limit coming from Air ? 

- How many Single entry tourist visa may I do back to back ? And same thing for the METV

thanks for your time !

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries by air. At 6 the immigration officer gets an alert so he knows to check what type of entries they were to confirm you are not using them back to back to liver here.

The number of back to back to single entry tourist visa depends upon which embassy or consulate you apply for them. Most will issue up to 3 back to back without a problem.

There is no limit on the number of multiple entry tourist visas you can get at a embassy or consulate in your home country.  I think there are people on their 3rd or 4th one since they became available.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit for visa exempt entries by air. At 6 the immigration offices get an alert so he knows to check what type of entries they were to confirm you are not using them back to back to liver here.

The number of back to back to single entry tourist visa depends upon which embassy or consulate you apply for them. Most will issue up to 3 back to back without a problem.

There is no limit on the number of multiple entry tourist visas you can get at a embassy or consulate in your home country.  I think there are people on their 3rd or 4th one since they became available.

Thanks a lot for your answers, helps a lot to see the difference for a "long time stay" in Thailand between the METV and the Thailand Elite Visa. And unless I'm missing something, the METV is both more flexible and cheaper (even including flight + the METV price itself) than the TE Visa, but require a flight back & forth from Europe every 9 months

33 minutes ago, bobyalseor said:

thanks for your time !

I think too many back-to-back visa exempt entries is risky (even by air). While no alert appears until six visa exempt entries has been reached, there have been instructions to immigration for a while that back-to-back visa exempt entries are frowned upon. Trying for more would be pushing it, and I would advise, at least, a tourist visa or two before coming visa exempt again.

Edited by BritTim

On 9/18/2015 at 6:25 PM, thomasrussell said:

Regular bus services from Chiang Rai central bus station to Mae Sai about 47 THB ?. Then song thao to border from Mae Sai bus station 30 THB

Can you do an exempt here at Maesai?

I know EMTV is OK because we have done it. Also following 3 x 60 day entries which took me from September 28th entry BKK to March 24th. I crossed again on March 6th & received a stamp "Until " May 4th.

22 minutes ago, les1 said:

Can you do an exempt here at Maesai?

I know EMTV is OK because we have done it. Also following 3 x 60 day entries which took me from September 28th entry BKK to March 24th. I crossed again on March 6th & received a stamp "Until " May 4th.

Yes they are now allowing a crossing at Mae Sai for a 30 day visa exempt entry. They started allowing them after the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings went into effect.

It seems you may of got the most you can get from a METV by doing an entry shortly before the enter before date on the visa.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they are now allowing a crossing at Mae Sai for a 30 day visa exempt entry. They started allowing them after the 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings went into effect.

It seems you may of got the most you can get from a METV by doing an entry shortly before the enter before date on the visa.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of your 60 day entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

That's interesting I am going over to KL on Thursday to get a 30 day exempt I could have stayed here. I thought that I should cover myself just in case the final 60 day didn't get stamped. If I had waited until March 23rd it would have increased my stay even longer.

Thanks,

On 23/09/2016 at 5:09 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can cross and then turnaround and come right back. No need for an overnight stay.

Hi there

Is it possible to leave Thailand through the border crossing at Mukdahan and come straight back in without getting a Laos visa?

I ask because I only have one blank page left in my passport and the Laos visa takes the whole thing up. 

Oops sorry.  Forgot to say I have a multiple entry non O visa and I need to activate a new 90 entry.  

Edited by Thai Ron
Add detail

12 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Is it possible to leave Thailand through the border crossing at Mukdahan and come straight back in without getting a Laos visa?

You have to get a Lao visa on arrival and enter there or immigration will not stamp you back into the country.

You should be able to do a crossing and return with one blank page if you have space for the departure and entry stamps.

You will need a new passport before doing another crossing to Laos.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to get a Lao visa on arrival and enter there or immigration will not stamp you back into the country.

You should be able to do a crossing and return with one blank page if you have space for the departure and entry stamps.

You will need a new passport before doing another crossing to Laos.

OK thanks, Ubonjoe.

Just out of interest, if I eventually decide to go via the airport to somewhere like Phnom Penh instead,  will I have to buy a re-entry permit? 

8 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Just out of interest, if I eventually decide to go via the airport to somewhere like Phnom Penh instead,  will I have to buy a re-entry permit? 

Since you have a multiple entry visa you do not need a re-entry permit for as long as your visa is valid. There is no difference whether you do your entries by land or air it is the same.

• Like 1