Border Run Alternatives

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to get another visa exempt entry. You can do it at the Chong Mek crossing here in Ubon or the Chong Sa Ngam (Phu Sing) crossing in Sisaket.

You would apply for a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your son. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and copy of their house book registry.

Cheers Joe 

Are they other alternatives for prolonging the muliple entrys Non Immigrant O Visa based on Marriage ?

Can it be done in Thailand ? As only if one lives 3 years without interuptions in Thailand  has rigth to ask for Resitence permit.

Thanks for any replys

7 minutes ago, Ziggysan said:

Are they other alternatives for prolonging the muliple entrys Non Immigrant O Visa based on Marriage ?

Can it be done in Thailand ? As only if one lives 3 years without interuptions in Thailand  has rigth to ask for Resitence permit.

Thanks for any replys

You would need to be on one year extensions of stay based upon marriage to apply for permanent residency for 3 consecutive years. You also would of need to working for those 3 years with a a work permit and paying taxes.

You would not have to leave the country every 90 days if you got an extension instead of a new visa every year.

Hi,

Ubonjoe says here he has got his Non Immigrant O Visa based on Marriage. he talks here about 90 days. I thougth a non O Visa based on marriage is valid one year and every 90 days one has to report to the local Immigration office. so i am bit confused here. Can anybody clear that for me. Thanks

5 minutes ago, Ziggysan said:

Hi,

Ubonjoe says here he has got his Non Immigrant O Visa based on Marriage. he talks here about 90 days. I thougth a non O Visa based on marriage is valid one year and every 90 days one has to report to the local Immigration office. so i am bit confused here. Can anybody clear that for me. Thanks

Multiple entry non-o  visas are issued by an embassy or consulate and require leaving the country every 90 days.

You are confusing extensions of stay issued by immigration with a visa.

With an extension of stay you do 90 day report to immigration.

Ok lets forget about the  after 3 years non stop staying in Thailand. But ok lets assume i have got my 1 year non O visa based on Marriage. does one has to go uproad every 3 months or report to the local Immigration office for a stamp. And after 1 year to prolong your non O visa for another year, can it be done in Thailand or  one must go outside Thailand ( borderrun ) for doing that ???

Thanks for  clearing this for me.

24 minutes ago, Ziggysan said:

Ok lets forget about the  after 3 years non stop staying in Thailand. But ok lets assume i have got my 1 year non O visa based on Marriage. does one has to go uproad every 3 months or report to the local Immigration office for a stamp. And after 1 year to prolong your non O visa for another year, can it be done in Thailand or  one must go outside Thailand ( borderrun ) for doing that ???

Thanks for  clearing this for me.

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you have to leave the country every 90 days and have to apply for another one after one year at an embassy or consulate.

An extension of stay applied for at immigration allows you to stay for one year without leaving the country. You just do reports to immigration every 90 days. You can apply for another extension at the end of the first one at immigration year after year.

It is probably out of topic but this is the only sight that informe me correctly so I would ask any of you if there is or will be a immigration office in the Buri Ram area?? and if so what would be the address?

Thank you all if you reply.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you have to leave the country every 90 days and have to apply for another one after one year at an embassy or consulate.

An extension of stay applied for at immigration allows you to stay for one year without leaving the country. You just do reports to immigration every 90 days. You can apply for another extension at the end of the first one at immigration year after year.

Thanks that was clear. great help you are Ubon Joe. me come live in Ubon  soon, hope there all Visa issues are user friendly.

8 minutes ago, mettech said:

It is probably out of topic but this is the only sight that informe me correctly so I would ask any of you if there is or will be a immigration office in the Buri Ram area?? and if so what would be the address?

Thank you all if you reply.

It is open. Info in this recent topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Seniors,

Pardon if I am posting in the wrong topic/section but can I check if I can get another 15 days visa exemption extension at Maesai border after exhausting the initial 30 days visa exemption I receive at the airport? I am holding a Singapore passport.

Thank you.

50 minutes ago, garethsekai said:

Hi Seniors,

Pardon if I am posting in the wrong topic/section but can I check if I can get another 15 days visa exemption extension at Maesai border after exhausting the initial 30 days visa exemption I receive at the airport? I am holding a Singapore passport.

Thank you.

You would not be able to do a crossing at Mae Sai. They only allow crossings if you have a valid visa for entry. The nearest crossing that allows a crossing for new exempt entry is Chaiang Khong to Laos.

If you have not done it already you can apply for a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be able to do a crossing at Mae Sai. They only allow crossings if you have a valid visa for entry. The nearest crossing that allows a crossing for new exempt entry is Chaiang Khong to Laos.

If you have not done it already you can apply for a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Thank you ubonjoe! I will then obtain a 60 days tourist visa in my country.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little worried today since a friend just went to Maesai and was turned away, however she's holding a ED visa, and I think that one was about to run out, not sure yet since she haven't answered more. 

However, I'm going to Maesot next friday, I guess it will be business as usual? I have a non-imm O multiple entry.

Also, this is the last time I can leave and come back before this visa will expire, is it possible to extend it after that for a few months in Bangkok? And if so what kind of paperwork is needed for extensions?

Thanks! and sorry if I repeated questions that have been asked before.

19 minutes ago, banglassie said:

Got a little worried today since a friend just went to Maesai and was turned away, however she's holding a ED visa, and I think that one was about to run out, not sure yet since she haven't answered more. 

However, I'm going to Maesot next friday, I guess it will be business as usual? I have a non-imm O multiple entry.

Also, this is the last time I can leave and come back before this visa will expire, is it possible to extend it after that for a few months in Bangkok? And if so what kind of paperwork is needed for extensions?

Thanks! and sorry if I repeated questions that have been asked before.

It's likely or possible that your friend didn't have a multiple entry 'ED' visa and was trying to get a visa exempt entry, which is not allowed.

As long as you've got a valid multiple entry visa you shouldn't have a problem getting another 90 day entry at Mae Sot.

You can extend the current, next or future 90 day stay by 60 days if you're the spouse or parent of a Thai, or by 1 year if you're a spouse/parent of a Thai or over 50. The paperwork will be different depending on which option you qualify for/choose.

A 60 day extension requires proof of relationship but no financial information. 1 year extensions; as the spouse/parent require proof of relationship, 400K in the bank or a minimum certified (by your embassy) income of 40K pm; if applying based on retirement you must be over 50 and have 800K in the bank, or 65K pm income, or a combination of income and bank deposit totaling 800K.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

It's likely or possible that your friend didn't have a multiple entry 'ED' visa and was trying to get a visa exempt entry, which is not allowed.

As long as you've got a valid multiple entry visa you shouldn't have a problem getting another 90 day entry at Mae Sot.

You can extend the next 90 day stay by 60 days if you're the spouse or parent of a Thai, or by 1 year if you're a spouse/parent of a Thai or over 50. The paperwork will be different depending on which option you qualify for/choose.

A 60 day extension requires proof of relationship but no financial information. 1 year extensions; as the spouse/parent require proof of relationship, 400K in the bank or a minimum certified (by your embassy) income of 40K pm; if applying based in retirement you must be over 50 and have 800K in the bank, or 65K pm income, or a combination of income and bank deposit totaling 800K.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, you are probably right about her situation.

So, for a 60-day extension I guess I just have to go to Chaengwattana with my marriage certificate and perhaps a copy of the blue book? I'm planning a trip to Savanakhet further down the road, but I'd like to postpone it as long as possible. Do you happen to know what the fee is for a 60 days extension?

A 1 year extension would of course be the best, but I currently get my income from Sweden in the form of study loans and scholarship. And although I transfer them to Thailand every month the income may look too uneven to be valid (like 80k one month, 30k the next and so on..)

25 minutes ago, banglassie said:

Thanks a lot! Yeah, you are probably right about her situation.

So, for a 60-day extension I guess I just have to go to Chaengwattana with my marriage certificate and perhaps a copy of the blue book? I'm planning a trip to Savanakhet further down the road, but I'd like to postpone it as long as possible. Do you happen to know what the fee is for a 60 days extension?

A 1 year extension would of course be the best, but I currently get my income from Sweden in the form of study loans and scholarship. And although I transfer them to Thailand every month the income may look too uneven to be valid (like 80k one month, 30k the next and so on..)

If you apply for a 60 day extension your wife will need to go with you. They will also want copies of her ID and house book and copies of your passport; ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card. All extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht.

As long as you get a letter from your Embassy confirming an income of at least 40K you should be ok. The Embassy shouldn't have a problem taking an average of the income you prove.

• Like 1

Feeling pretty stupid for not noticing this thread earlier.  Drove to the Poipet border today with my non o multi entry visa only to be told that they are no longer issuing visa extensions over land borders.  As my exit date is tomorrow I have arranged a same day return flight to Malaysia.  Hopefully there will be no problems.

1 hour ago, parko said:

Feeling pretty stupid for not noticing this thread earlier.  Drove to the Poipet border today with my non o multi entry visa only to be told that they are no longer issuing visa extensions over land borders.  As my exit date is tomorrow I have arranged a same day return flight to Malaysia.  Hopefully there will be no problems.

Were you trying to get a new 90 day entry from a valid ME Non 'O' or a 15/30 day Visa Exempt entry?

44 minutes ago, parko said:

The former.  I was hoping for a 90 day extension to multI entry visa.

Wow! This is something new even for Poipet. Worryingly, it ties up with a report from someone who did an out/in on Non Imm O in Ranong and was told this would apply to all land borders starting January 1st. According to that report, in/out by air is unaffected.

I think maybe Thaivisa needs to ask for clarification on this.

23 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Wow! This is something new even for Poipet. Worryingly, it ties up with a report from someone who did an out/in on Non Imm O in Ranong and was told this would apply to all land borders starting January 1st. According to that report, in/out by air is unaffected.

Yep.  Ranong is now also asking for a teamoney to stamp someone out who already has a valid multi entry visa and just wants to activate the next leg.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I would not mix those two together.  The Ranong crossing is simply corrupt - solved for a few dollars worth of Baht.  Poipet is something else.  The best thing would be to use Any Other Border crossing for future runs - no need to fly. 

I do not think "Multiple Entry" now means "Multiple Entry, but only if using airports."  They told me a similar story when I left at the end of a Single-Entry - that I "had to return by air" with my next SETV.  Not falling into that trap, and as I was going to Phnom Penh anyway, I came back through Koh Kong with my new SETV - no problem. 

Whatever they say, you have the right to leave if you haven't broken any laws.  Just politely answer their questions and let them know you will not be coming back through their checkpoint. 

Anyone caught by this on a Multi-Entry at Poipet could simply say they are going to Batambang (true), then travel to Batambang and back into Thailand via the Ban-Pakard or Ban Laem crossings, which are still friendly.   It is a silly waste of time, but less trouble than going all the way back home, then booking a flight out.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, parko said:

You wanting a new 90 day entry not an extension.

Not sure why they told you that you could not do the crossing. Yours is the first report about it happening there. It may of just been one off occurrence.

If it was happening at another crossing I would probably have an email from a contact at a visa run company.

Perhaps best to try Ban Laem.

• 1 month later...

Just advance info.

According to an announcement of our embassy in Bangkok in their web site, a Ministerial Order dated on 1 December 2016 has been issued by the Thai Interior Ministry, which is to limit the number of visa exempt entries using land border crossings to 2 entries per the calender year, applicable from 31 December 2016 onwards.

Let's see it if it actually happens.

16 minutes ago, chaawlepcha said:

Just advance info.

According to an announcement of our embassy in Bangkok in their web site, a Ministerial Order dated on 1 December 2016 has been issued by the Thai Interior Ministry, which is to limit the number of visa exempt entries using land border crossings to 2 entries per the calender year, applicable from 31 December 2016 onwards.

I have seen nothing about such an order. Seems strange that a foreign embassy would be posting about that without it being announced first by the Thai government.

With all the changes about visas and long stay with 24 hour to report guesses and juggling between port of entry a tourist or I should say a long stay tourist has no choice but read daily on the net like on thaivisa sight in order to stay updated and thank you to you all long stayed expats to inform us on how to navigate in the land of smile as long we could still smile.

9 hours ago, chaawlepcha said:

Just advance info.

Please would you provide the website that has this announcement.