Border Run Alternatives

Instead of disclosing our nationality, I rather prefer to putting the link to the said Ministerial Order in the Thai Official Gazette site, as follows:

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2559/A/100/1.PDF

If you can not open it, please look for the Official Gazette site, using the following information (the 3rd line is the title of the said Ministerial Order):

ราชกิจจานุเบกษา
ฉบับกฤษฎีกา ประเภท ก - ตอนที่ ๑๐๐ ก (๐๑ ธันวาคม พ.ศ. ๒๕๕๙)
กฎกระทรวงกำหนดหลักเกณฑ์ วิธีการ และเงื่อนไขในการตรวจ การยกเว้น และการเปลี่ยนประเภทการตรวจลงตรา (ฉบับที่ ๕) พ.ศ. ๒๕๕๙

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 11:39 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have seen nothing about such an order. Seems strange that a foreign embassy would be posting about that without it being announced first by the Thai government.

is it anything to do with that previous ruling (from about 4 or 5 years ago)  '1 entry per 180 days' ?

maybe the guy saw an outdated rule which was misleadingly posted  ?

coz 2 entries per year equates to 1 entry per 180 days.

4 hours ago, easybullet3 said:

is it anything to do with that previous ruling (from about 4 or 5 years ago)  '1 entry per 180 days' ?

maybe the guy saw an outdated rule which was misleadingly posted  ?

coz 2 entries per year equates to 1 entry per 180 days.

See the topic I posted on the 17th about only 2 visa exempt entries at land borders. Did it after getting a translation of the above page on the royal gazette.

• 2 weeks later...

our experience in Ban Laem since the implementation of new rule for visa exempt entries.

Laotian get unlimited entries, Vietnamese as well, Malaysian too, all other countries are told two entries per year, but you will get 30 days, no more 15 days.

I do not know how they will handle the Farangs who live in border areas of Cambodia or Laos and wish to do shopping once or  twice a month.

Re people with Multiple Entry Tourist Visa or Multiple Entry Non Immigrant Visas. No changes, so last month info from people from Poi Pet were wrong, as usual.

Hi All,

Been about 3 years since I had to do a visa run as I have been returning to Aus periodically within my allowed 90 days per stay. Just wondering how the rules have changed and what my best options are now.

Living just outside Bkk. Have Non-immigrant "O" visa through marriage in Australian passport. Non working in Thailand, no cash in Thai bank account and no external income I can show. 

My 90 days will be up in the beginning of February and will need to do a visa run then.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my best options are to get another 60 - 90 days?

What will a Thai immigration office give me? 60 Days? and what will a land border crossing give me? or do I now need to fly?

Thanks In advance..

2 minutes ago, Bartman said:

What will a Thai immigration office give me? 60 Days? and what will a land border crossing give me? or do I now need to fly?

You will get a new 90 day entry at a border crossing. I suggest you avoid Poi Pet or Ranong for the crossing they have been giving grief to those with multiple entry visas.

If you want to avoid the crossing you could at apply at your local immigration office for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. 

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a new 90 day entry at a border crossing. I suggest you avoid Poi Pet or Ranong for the crossing they have been giving grief to those with multiple entry visas.

If you want to avoid the crossing you could at apply at your local immigration office for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. 

Thanks for the quick response.

Any idea what docs I need to provide and the charges.?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Thanks for the quick response.

Any idea what docs I need to provide and the charges.?

Thanks

You wife will need to be with you when you apply for the 60 day extension. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy and copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. You will also need proof of residence unless living where your wife's house book is for.

The fee is 1900 baht.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You wife will need to be with you when you apply for the 60 day extension. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy and copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. You will also need proof of residence unless living where your wife's house book is for.

The fee is 1900 baht.

Thanks

Happy New Year!

I am getting toward the end of my SETV acquired in HKG (I gave a detailed posting in the appropriate section a few months ago). I have a one-way ticket to KUL in late January.

I am debating whether to just buy a same-day return to Chiang Mai, visa-exempt,  and stay for up to 60 days; or to apply for a second SETV in a row, either in KUL or Penang.

So I've got two questions:

1. Would I expect any difficulties if I just returned immediately from KUL, visa-exempt? My last such entry was February, 2016, after which I departed Thailand in April, and was out of the kingdom for 6 months.

2. Any hassle in getting a SETV in Malaysia -- Penang or KUL? I recall KUL was not recommended in 2016; Penang was the recommended place. Will hotels/agents help with this, in either city?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

So I've got two questions:

1. Would I expect any difficulties if I just returned immediately from KUL, visa-exempt? My last such entry was February, 2016, after which I departed Thailand in April, and was out of the kingdom for 6 months.

2. Any hassle in getting a SETV in Malaysia -- Penang or KUL? I recall KUL was not recommended in 2016; Penang was the recommended place. Will hotels/agents help with this, in either city?

1. You should not have a problem getting a visa exempt entry.

2. I would skip KL. Penang is a better option since you can use an agent there.

Another option is Vientiane. You can fly to Udon Thani from CM. Then take a van from the airport there to the bridge in Nong Khai and cross to Vientiane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. You should not have a problem getting a visa exempt entry.

2. I would skip KL. Penang is a better option since you can use an agent there.

Another option is Vientiane. You can fly to Udon Thani from CM. Then take a van from the airport there to the bridge in Nong Khai and cross to Vientiane.

Thanks Ubon Joe! I was just talking about you here in CNX this past week. You're a hero 'round these parts ;-)

I'm leaning toward just buying the return ticket from KUL immediately, then getting a new US passport at the consulate in CNX.

I love the trip to Vientiane -- I've done it several times.

But I love Luang Prabang even more -- agents there used to provide visa service, while I'd kick back & enjoy LPQ for a few days before returning to Thailand. Do you know if that type of service still exists? I've heard it was discontinued in the early days of the military regime (2014).

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

But I love Luang Prabang even more -- agents there used to provide visa service, while I'd kick back & enjoy LPQ for a few days before returning to Thailand. Do you know if that type of service still exists? I've heard it was discontinued in the early days of the military regime (2014).

I have seen no report of agent being available there to get the visa. The embassy in Vientiane as far as I know no longer allow agents to do applications for people.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen no report of agent being available there to get the visa. The embassy in Vientiane as far as I know no longer allow agents to do applications for people.

Last time I used an agent in LPQ was Jan, 2013; last time in Vientiane was June, 2014... ahh... the good ol' days :-)

Thanks Ubon Joe!

I've got a friend who just sent me this.  Any thoughts as to what he can do? Thanks!

hey Craig, here's my question about Visa extensions. 
I entered Thailand from Canada with a 60 day tourist visa, and extended it by 30 days at the immigration office in Rayong for 1900 baht.
i would like to stay up to 6 weeks longer. 
I am wondering if I can do 1 border visa run by road, for an extra 15 days, and 1 by plane? making that 6 weeks....i am assuming i cannot apply for another visa extension....cheers,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've got a friend who just sent me this.  Any thoughts as to what he can do? Thanks!

hey Craig, here's my question about Visa extensions. 
I entered Thailand from Canada with a 60 day tourist visa, and extended it by 30 days at the immigration office in Rayong for 1900 baht.
i would like to stay up to 6 weeks longer. 
I am wondering if I can do 1 border visa run by road, for an extra 15 days, and 1 by plane? making that 6 weeks....i am assuming i cannot apply for another visa extension....cheers,

He would get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a border crossing that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Since December 31st the 15 day rule was eliminated when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings in a calendar year went into effect. Even before that he would of gotten a 30 day entry under the G7 country rule.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He would get a 30 day visa exempt entry at a border crossing that can be extended for 30 days at immigration.

Since December 31st the 15 day rule was eliminated when the 2 visa exempt entries at land border crossings in a calendar year went into effect. Even before that he would of gotten a 30 day entry under the G7 country rule.

Thanks!!!!!!!

I have totally missed this 30 day thing, last time I did Ranong or Andaman Club it was 15 days. Anyway, how many times can I do border runs for 30 days now? The main issue is a passport full of SETV (5 in total from 2016) or maybe this doesnt matter? 

14 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

I have totally missed this 30 day thing, last time I did Ranong or Andaman Club it was 15 days. Anyway, how many times can I do border runs for 30 days now? The main issue is a passport full of SETV (5 in total from 2016) or maybe this doesnt matter? 

Only 2 times at a land border crossing this year under the new rules that went into effect on December 31st.

Your total number of tourist visas does not matter as long as you can keep getting them from a embassy or consulate. At most nearby locations you can get 3 back to back.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Only 2 times at a land border crossing this year under the new rules that went into effect on December 31st.

You total number of tourist visas does not matter as long as you can keep getting them from a embassy or consulate. At most nearby locations you can get 3 back to back.

Thank you Sir!

One of my guest on my boat wants to extend her stay in Thailand. She is a US citizen and she has almost completed her first 28 day visa exempt stay in Thailand. We want to sail to Koh Lipe and she will take the ferry to Langkawi check in check out and return to Koh Lipe the same day. How many days will she get without a visa. She is a US citizen. Same question for Ranong.

Edited by ubonjoe
Moved edited post done as a quote

9 minutes ago, thaisail said:

One of my guest on my boat wants to extend her stay in Thailand. She is a US citizen and she has almost completed her first 28 day visa exempt stay in Thailand. We want to sail to Koh Lipe and she will take the ferry to Langkawi check in check out and return to Koh Lipe the same day. How many days will she get without a visa. She is a US citizen. Same question for Ranong.

She will get a 30 day entry. Visa exempt entries by land sea or air are now 30 days. Visa exempt entries by land border crossings are now limited to 2 per calendar year.

She could also extend her 30 day entry at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

Just to be clear, does she get only 15 days or 30 days on her re-entry back into Thailand because she is entering by land instead of air. This is written on the Koh Lipe ferry website. Also last year passengers on private yachts only got 15 days on arrival while crew members were getting 30 days.

3 minutes ago, thaisail said:

Just to be clear, does she get only 15 days or 30 days on her re-entry back into Thailand because she is entering by land instead of air. This is written on the Koh Lipe ferry website. Also last year passengers on private yachts only got 15 days on arrival while crew members were getting 30 days.

The 15 day entry rule was rescinded on December 31st when the new rule limiting land border entries to 2 per calendar year went into effect. All visa exempt entries are 30 days now.

Hi any help will be much appreciated. I got my non o marraige from Savannakhet about 6 weeks ago and need to do my 90 day run in about another 6 weeks. Q: which border post is the nearest to Hua Hin ? I did my last one at Kanchanaburi just before they closed the border for visa runs. Somebody has told me that they are doing visa runs there again without getting a Myanmar visa first. I know i can get a 60 day extension but would prefer to do my first 90 day on a visa run. Any help please.

Kyri.

2 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Hi any help will be much appreciated. I got my non o marraige from Savannakhet about 6 weeks ago and need to do my 90 day run in about another 6 weeks. Q: which border post is the nearest to Hua Hin ? I did my last one at Kanchanaburi just before they closed the border for visa runs. Somebody has told me that they are doing visa runs there again without getting a Myanmar visa first. I know i can get a 60 day extension but would prefer to do my first 90 day on a visa run. Any help please.

Kyri.

The Ban Phu Nam Ron crossing has been open again for a few months now if you have valid visa for re-entry. The fee is 950 baht now. That includes the fee for the Myanmar border pass and transport.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 9:08 PM, Carson2311 said:

Yeah, we absolutely have such a not knowing clientel of people want to sign on this forum. Actually if people were read up to date everything would be a bliss.

Like this! If you stay in Thailand alone and single. You must be 50 for a holder of a Non-O visa. If you have a child with or are married to a thai woman, you can actually get the same visa at 19 years of age.

However if you choose to stay alone and be single, you must can show minimum 65000 bath a month or equal to 800000 bath a year, and them you are going to be on a retirement visa, means 50 and up.

If you have a child to visit and be with or a family you have to show 40000 bath a month.

Can anybody please provide links/info here... TIA

57 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

Can anybody please provide links/info here... TIA

If married to a Thai you can apply a multiple entry non-o visa with no financial proof needed in Savannakhet Laos. Or you can apply for a one year extension of stay if you have 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

If you are the parent of a Thai you can get a single entry non-o visa at most nearby locations. For a multiple entry non-o Penang is the only near by location that issues them if you can show 400k baht in the bank for proof of income.

If you are the legal parent of a Thai by way of marriage or legitimation you can get a one year year extension by meeting the same financial requirements as marriage.

I assume the age of 19 means a person is over 18 which is when parental consent is not required.