Border Run Alternatives

Hello. My tourist 30 day visa is due to expire soon. I previously renewed once already via Laos with no problems. Is it ok to renew again via Laos? Many thanks, KS

Seems you have a 30 day visa exempt entry not a tourist visa.

You would be best advised to obtain a Tourist Visa from the Thai Consulate in Vientiane .

Attempting to obtain another visa exempt entry may result in refusal.

Hello. My tourist 30 day visa is due to expire soon. I previously renewed once already via Laos with no problems. Is it ok to renew again via Laos? Many thanks, KS

Their is no 30 day tourist visa. I assume you mean you have a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You can get a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht unless your 30 day visa exempt entry is from a bilateral agreement. If you are from a G7 country then not a problem to get one.

Not sure you can get a 3rd back to back visa exempt entry. Which crossing will you be using?

If you plan on staying longer crossing to get a tourist visa at the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet would be best. That would give you a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. You can get a 2 entry visa that would give you almost 6 months of total stay.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I meant the exempt visa, which cost 1500 baht last visit as from UK. I'd be crossing over from Sisaket to Laos. However the tourist visa via Vientiane looks better. Thanks again for your help. Great forum smile.png

The border with Sisaket is Cambodia or did you go to Chong Mek here in Ubon.

For the visa Savannakhet is across the river from Mukdahan which is close to Sisaket

Yes, went via Ubon Ratchathani then to Laos. Didnt realise about Savannakhet. Laos is easier as my partner speaks Laos too. I may now look towards a further extended visa as my partner is a Thai citizen and we have a house in Sisaket. Presumably I would then need to got to Vientiane with all the relevant paperwork?

Yes, went via Ubon Ratchathani then to Laos. Didnt realise about Savannakhet. Laos is easier as my partner speaks Laos too. I may now look towards a further extended visa as my partner is a Thai citizen and we have a house in Sisaket. Presumably I would then need to got to Vientiane with all the relevant paperwork?

There is no difference between what visas Savannakhet can issue and Vientiane.

If you were married to a Thai Savannakhet will issue a multiple entry visa non-o visa but Vientiane will not as an example.

What kind of extended visa do you expect to get.

What are you seeking to achieve?

There are very few visa options available if you are not married, over 50, working or following an Education course.

What is the quickest option from Hua Hin?

No where is going to to be close by.

Mae Sot is the closest I think. After that perhaps Rangoon.

The quickest would be to arrange a flight form Bangkok to one of places mentioned in the topic.

There is also the train sooth to Hat Yai..and then Pedang Baser.

Ranong is a option from HH, approx 4.5 hours by car,

I spoke with Ranong Immi this morning, it is ok to activate the 2nd part of a Double Entry TV there, you must show 20,000 Baht and a onward ticket out of Thailand

Iam planning to go there on 30th September if things do not change, see my post in the HH Forum about this

I can confirm that as of yesterday (22 Sept) No problems with an Out/In at Ranong>Kawthaung with a Non-O multi entry

• Like 1

Can I get the 15/30 day visa exempt entry at a laos boa

Can I get the 15/30 day visa exempt entry at a laos boarder?

Yes if you're from a nation qualifying for visa exempt entry.

rder?

Yes, providing you are not attempting entry using back to back visa exempt entries.

I'm from USA.

Which is better? Chong mek or mukdahan?

Chong Mek a a less busy crossing and you can walk across the border verses having to cross the bridge in Mukdahan by bus.

Both have the same policies for doing entries. What will be the objective of your crossing?

So it seems nothing has changed with visa exempt back to back entries, right? Somewhere here in forum i read that there is still one crossing open that allows one to do it, can anyone confirm this?

The problem is that i cannot afford the expensive trip with a visa agency atm, also i need medical treatment and cannot stay 3 days in another country. It just takes too long...i asked at thaivisaservice and they only offer a 3 day trip (4 day in truth, since one arrives in nighttime on 3rd day) that costs around 6 to 7k. Is there no other way for me to renew my exempt? Its just too much to afford atm...

Can i fly to Malaysia and fly back a day later and get a exempt again? Or if i go to Laos myself, can i make it faster than the 3/4 days with an agency? Also, if i marry, how long it takes me to get a visa then and do i have to go to another country to apply for it?

I revieve money only next week, my stamp ends on 3.rd next month so i would be on a day or 2 overstay, what bugs me too.

So it seems nothing has changed with visa exempt back to back entries, right? Somewhere here in forum i read that there is still one crossing open that allows one to do it, can anyone confirm this?

The problem is that i cannot afford the expensive trip with a visa agency atm, also i need medical treatment and cannot stay 3 days in another country. It just takes too long...i asked at thaivisaservice and they only offer a 3 day trip (4 day in truth, since one arrives in nighttime on 3rd day) that costs around 6 to 7k. Is there no other way for me to renew my exempt? Its just too much to afford atm...

Can i fly to Malaysia and fly back a day later and get a exempt again? Or if i go to Laos myself, can i make it faster than the 3/4 days with an agency? Also, if i marry, how long it takes me to get a visa then and do i have to go to another country to apply for it?

I revieve money only next week, my stamp ends on 3.rd next month so i would be on a day or 2 overstay, what bugs me too.

It sounds as though you need to obtain a visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

You can, of course fly out/back for another visa exempt entry if you wish.

I doubt there is much saving to be made over what the Thai Visa people charge for a trip to Laos. But you might save a few Baht by undertaking the trip using the train or public bus.

Be aware that attempting to remain in Thailand using visa-exempt entries is not a long term solution.

Have you gotten a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at immigration?

How many visa exempt entries do you have back to back?

No southern Thai/Cambodia crossings will allow a out/in visa exempt entry. As I wrote in the OP there are other crossings allowing them.

You can fly out and back on the same day to get a new entry.

If you are under medical treatment and can get a letter from the doctor stating you cannot travel you can get an extension at immigration. It is possible to get up to a 90 day extension.

Not sure what visa service you contacted. This for a tourist visa. The one I know of leaves Bangkok in the evening of one day and arrives in Vientiane the next morning. You apply for the visa then and pick it up the next afternoon and then make the trip back to Bangkok. They charge 3000 baht that includes the room and meals, You pay the visa fees yourself.

Have you gotten a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at immigration?

- yes, i already got one

How many visa exempt entries do you have back to back?

i have 1 in my passport. I aarived in June, got the 30 days, extended for 30 days at Immi. Then after these 30 days (60 together) i made the trip to cambodia where i got another exempt. Extended that for another 30 days at Immi and thats where i am now. So only one trip to cambodia in this passport. I say "in this passport" because my old passport had many many back to back trips, but that was some years ago. I stayed in germany for some years before i came back in june.

No southern Thai/Cambodia crossings will allow a out/in visa exempt entry. As I wrote in the OP there are other crossings allowing them.

i probably didnt read it then, i re-read soon.

You can fly out and back on the same day to get a new entry.

really?

If you are under medical treatment and can get a letter from the doctor stating you cannot travel you can get an extension at immigration. It is possible to get up to a 90 day extension.

Wow, this is great info. Thansk, i will try this maybe.

Not sure what visa service you contacted. This for a tourist visa. The one I know of leaves Bangkok in the evening of one day and arrives in Vientiane the next morning. You apply for the visa then and pick it up the next afternoon and then make the trip back to Bangkok. They charge 3000 baht that includes the room and meals, You pay the visa fees yourself.

yes, its the same you mean. That is 3 days, and 4 days until i can go to doctor because we arrive in bkk in nighttime. Too long for me. And the visa fees for laos and thailand are together around 5 to 6k.

Edited by byteHunter

Make sure the doctor's letter is obtained from a hospital doctor who is currently providing your treatment.

The doctor will need to certify that you are unable to travel and state reason(s) why together with detail of how long your treatmentment and inability to travel will last.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

Hi guys. My tourists visa expires on the 11th of october. I am Polish citizen and applied for my 60-days tourist visa in Thai Embassy in Warsaw. After my visa expired I got 30 days extension in Bkk immigration office. What possibilities to extend my stay do I have at the moment? Probably I would find the answer somewhere here but the regulations on Thai boarders change all the time so I am really confused.

Hi guys. My tourists visa expires on the 11th of october. I am Polish citizen and applied for my 60-days tourist visa in Thai Embassy in Warsaw. After my visa expired I got 30 days extension in Bkk immigration office. What possibilities to extend my stay do I have at the moment? Probably I would find the answer somewhere here but the regulations on Thai boarders change all the time so I am really confused.

How much longer do you want to stay?

You could get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos that would allow a total stay of almost 6 months.

You could do a border hop for a 15 day visa exempt entry at a crossing that allows then and then extend it for 30 days at an immigration office.

I need another 2-3 weeks only so border jump would be fine. Is it possible to do it on Cambodian boarder? and do I need to stay abroad for some specific time?

You will not be able to do it at a southern Cambodia crossing. They are not allowing out/in crossings unless you have a visa. If don't mind spending a couple of days in Cambodia you could do it.

Check the first post of this to find some other crossing options that will allow an out/in entry. No need to stay out of the country.

hi,

anybody have any recent experience at Had lek/koh Kong border crossing? i need to go next week, I have Non O multi visa, married to Thai. will i have any problem go in and out? anybody been there recently?

thank you

hi,

anybody have any recent experience at Had lek/koh Kong border crossing? i need to go next week, I have Non O multi visa, married to Thai. will i have any problem go in and out? anybody been there recently?

thank you

Since you will have a valid visa to use for entry you will not have a problem doing an out/in crossing. There have been no reports of problems at that crossing.

Only crossings for a visa exempt entry are being restricted..