Why bother ?

prk888

I have had to make a few queries on this site to locate things, after I have tried myself but hit a dead end.

I would never dream of not thanking those who replied - replies that are usually 99% very helpful.

Your point is well made. I regard this forum as one full of helpful people (in the main) and that should be recognised. clap2.gif

Manners have changed since I was a lad (forced to write thank you letters after every birthday and Christmas).

Of course, in those days you could take your girl to the pictures, buy two fish suppers on the way home, and still have change out of a ten bob note.

Actually, in my experience the majority do reply and express gratitude for help/advice given.

However, I agree that many do not bother to let us all know the outcome - which would only take a few minutes and could be helpful to others.

Yes agreed, many unpolite - egoistic - negative posters here on many forums.

I was raised to be polite and experience over that years taught me that a smile and a thank you goes a long way and getting a smile back is worth it, so my parents were right.

Because a lot of questions are asked by newbies to Pattaya, who after writing the question go out and get chronically drunk and take a woman home and next day wake up wondering if they had a good time or not. And after a night like that they forget about the question they asked, nor do they remember where they asked it.

It's rude and ignorant not to say thanks or follow up on advice, I'm with you.

Why do we bother? Because we try to help, that's what is more important than anything. Keep up the good work.

There is always a need for courtesy in my opinion but at the end of the day the way that the forums go sometimes is that the topic goes way off topic and does not in any way relate to maybe to the original question of the OP

I have started various threads and not personally concluded a summary or report because where the topic is after maybe a week or so is, not relevant to my original statement or question but then again I include any appreciations or thanks when I ask the question so really there is no need for any special thanks, is there, unless of course the OP was specificity and adequately answered, some chance of that with the "One liners, humorists and topic benders"!

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend, why is thai visa such a bickering, som-nam-na bunch of posters compared to the rest of the internet, and the conclusion I reached was the majority of the posters here are older and are not "digital natives" (people who have grown up with internet the majority of their lives). I think many older people here don't quite understand the social mores and customs of internet forums, which are actually different than in real life, and that's actually OK. This is a case in point, applying "real walking around" etiquette to an anonymous internet forum. "I can't believe he didn't thank me for telling him to get the correct visa or go home" lolz.

Personally, I usually put a tia at the end of posts that are asking specific questions, which means "thanks in advance". Also, once a thread is posted and the discussion is started, it no longer "belongs" to the original poster. It's simply a topic for discussion. I think it's funny sometimes when OPs try to control their threads as if they own them.

The internet is different from real life, and that's OK. Calling people "keyboard warriors" and challenging them to meet you in real life is innappropriate. Ad hominem attacks are inappropriate. We are just slinging ideas around, with more freedom to express our real opinions due to the anonymity.

Its a thread. People dont expect courtesy as we dont really know or care who they are.

I don't share this attitude at all. You don't know the person you stop in Central Festival to ask where the AIS shop is. I'll bet you thank them too. Unless you are saying you turn on your heels without so much as a word or a nod.

Its a thread. People dont expect courtesy as we dont really know or care who they are.

I don't share this attitude at all. You don't know the person you stop in Central Festival to ask where the AIS shop is. I'll bet you thank them too. Unless you are saying you turn on your heels without so much as a word or a nod.

Nor would I. Would you go to Central and tell a stranger your views on Thai visa/economic/social policy?

I was just talking about this the other day with a friend, why is thai visa such a bickering, som-nam-na bunch of posters compared to the rest of the internet, and the conclusion I reached was the majority of the posters here are older and are not "digital natives" (people who have grown up with internet the majority of their lives). I think many older people here don't quite understand the social mores and customs of internet forums, which are actually different than in real life, and that's actually OK. This is a case in point, applying "real walking around" etiquette to an anonymous internet forum. "I can't believe he didn't thank me for telling him to get the correct visa or go home" lolz.

Personally, I usually put a tia at the end of posts that are asking specific questions, which means "thanks in advance". Also, once a thread is posted and the discussion is started, it no longer "belongs" to the original poster. It's simply a topic for discussion. I think it's funny sometimes when OPs try to control their threads as if they own them.

The internet is different from real life, and that's OK. Calling people "keyboard warriors" and challenging them to meet you in real life is innappropriate. Ad hominem attacks are inappropriate. We are just slinging ideas around, with more freedom to express our real opinions due to the anonymity.

Like your post overall; you make a lotta sense- but, this is the Pattaya forum... what do you expect?

If I provide a helpful answer and they click the Like button than it's all good for me.

When they help me I often reply if I have something to add and otherwise I click like, that's what the like button is for right.

I suppose there are also tons of people that post something and loose the thread out of sight, sure ThaiVISA sends you absurd amounts of notifications when someone replies to your thread, but that's really too much, at certain days I receive like 50+ emails from ThaiVisa, I mean come on, can imagine that plenty of people turn those notifications off and then it's easy to forget about a thread, especially if it's in a more active part of the forum and you only check the forum like twice a week.

Well I don't have to notification on and I normally remember which topics I posted on.

Well with the amount of trash living here from all over the world, it's not really a big surprise.

Pattaya used to be the "on the run" criminals paradise before immigration got on-line and can cross check with Interpol who is wanted in their homeland, or not.

But they still arrest some now and again so they keep coming.

Well I don't have to notification on and I normally remember which topics I posted on.

Well with the amount of trash living here from all over the world, it's not really a big surprise.

Pattaya used to be the "on the run" criminals paradise before immigration got on-line and can cross check with Interpol who is wanted in their homeland, or not.

But they still arrest some now and again so they keep coming.

You only get listed on Interpol for large crimes like murder, rape, bigtime drug offences so Pattaya still attracts a ton of small time criminals like local drug dealers, violent people, fraudsters etc.

I usually appreciate with a Like,it acknowledges it, I think...

Agree. I don't want to labour this point except to say that many posters are very helpful.

An example that springs to mind with me is when I wanted a blood pressure monitor. I looked in many pharmacies etc but was advised by various members that Fascimo on North Road had them. Now, I've driven down North Road loads of times over the last 5 years but never seen the shop. Sounds daft I know, but it is simply because of sheer concentration on the traffic and also the incredible amount of 'street furniture' and signs. A couple of specific posts with actual information enabled me to go there the next day. I was grateful for this.

Many posters who live in the city have much more idea of where things are, given they walk around etc etc. Whereas a bozo like me who drives in from the dark side every now and again simply does not have that info.

Yep, a 'like' acknowledgement on posts, or a sepcific short reply to the post that finally sorts things, does not seem a major problem.thumbsup.gif