E-Channel for Permanent Residents

Tried again yesterday to register my (not so new anymore) German passport. Again no luck. 2 years since I have got it. Fo those that were able to get it registered what did IO do differently?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, beeper said:

Tried again yesterday to register my (not so new anymore) German passport. Again no luck. 2 years since I have got it. Fo those that were able to get it registered what did IO do differently?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

There are several places at Suvarnabhumi were you can register. Some may have already gotten the new machines that can read the new German passport, others have not. Where it worked for me:

1.) Departure, the immigration office (after passport control) that is closer the lower check-in row letters (i.e. the left one when your back is to the road). There are two computers with passport scanners in that little cubicle, at least one of them can read the new German passport.

2.) Arrivals, Immigration 2 (Fast Track). You have to ask the immigration officers (before passport control), because that one cubicle where they scan your passport is not usually manned. It has one scanner, and that works.

That is, if the problem is that the scanner cannot read the passport. If there is another problem, please let us know. The reason why I know that two machines can read it is because there was another problem when the passport could be read first time.

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

After reading all the  replies I think the system sounds like total crap.

Yes I'm afraid that about sums it up. I still use it because it's usually still better than the alternative of queuing. But when compared to other similar systems around the world, the hardware is simply low quality. And the software? Well.....

There are several places at Suvarnabhumi were you can register. Some may have already gotten the new machines that can read the new German passport, others have not. Where it worked for me:

1.) Departure, the immigration office (after passport control) that is closer the lower check-in row letters (i.e. the left one when your back is to the road). There are two computers with passport scanners in that little cubicle, at least one of them can read the new German passport.

2.) Arrivals, Immigration 2 (Fast Track). You have to ask the immigration officers (before passport control), because that one cubicle where they scan your passport is not usually manned. It has one scanner, and that works.

That is, if the problem is that the scanner cannot read the passport. If there is another problem, please let us know. The reason why I know that two machines can read it is because there was another problem when the passport could be read first time.

In what you describe under 1, the cubicle at departure immigration area, where you come out after using Fasttrack, which BTW you can also use no problem with PR, is the one they tried in my last attempt yesterday. It was the IO together with the guy from the IT vendor who tried for 45 min. Will try arrival area next time.
I wish they had an auto gate at fast track ( and I could use it) that would be perfect
Danke[mention=149547]onthemoon[/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, beeper said:

In what you describe under 1, the cubicle at departure immigration area, where you come out after using Fasttrack, which BTW you can also use no problem with PR, is the one they tried in my last attempt yesterday. It was the IO together with the guy from the IT vendor who tried for 45 min. Will try arrival area next time.
I wish they had an auto gate at fast track ( and I could use it) that would be perfect
Danke[mention=149547]onthemoon[/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Good luck at arrivals next time then.

By the way, I have used Fast Track at Departures many times, but it's run by VFS now. Last time, the lady refused to let me in, stating that PR does not give me access, but BOI would. Dunno.

If you get in to Fast Track, after security check there is a small door that connects Fast Track and general area, so you can go to the auto-channels there. 

By the way, I have used Fast Track at Departures many times, but it's run by VFS now. Last time, the lady refused to let me in, stating that PR does not give me access, but BOI would. Dunno.

If you get in to Fast Track, after security check there is a small door that connects Fast Track and general area, so you can go to the auto-channels there. 

I always mention BOI at Fast track, they look at my re entry permit in the passport and let me pass. They never ask for BOI letter.
Thanks for the tip on connecting door. Now I just need to get my pp set up for autogate.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I tried again to get my German passport get set up for auto channel, this time at immigration desk at fast track arrival. Same story my passport data page cannot be read.
I think I will give up now and wait until I get a new passport....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, beeper said:

Last week I tried again to get my German passport get set up for auto channel, this time at immigration desk at fast track arrival. Same story my passport data page cannot be read.
I think I will give up now and wait until I get a new passport....

Sorry to hear that. Do you know what the error message was?

Here is what happened with my passport: After they had upgraded the system, registration could still not be completed even though the passport could be read by the machine. The reason was that because of the many unsuccessful attempts, there was (incomplete) data with this passport number in the system, so the error message was that there is a duplication. They had to manually delete that incomplete data.

This was promised to twice but not done, until a software engineer (not just a sales person) from the contractor was there and could delete that old data right away.

Maybe you have that same problem. Ask them for the error message.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it will be too long before all the existing hardware is junked and replaced with proper machines from a competent manufacturer.  It reminds me of the first BKK expressway e-tags. It took so much manpower to keep the crappy system functioning that it defeated the purpose of automation.

I have auto channel valid for 2 years. Now Reentry Permit is valid for only one year. I will get new Reentry visa and New Endorsement in the PR book next month. This will mean the data registered for Auto channel will be obsolete for the Reentry Visa number. What needs to be done? Should we ask update of Visa number at Suvarnabhumi or just keep using as it is till validity of Auto Channel comes to an end?

39 minutes ago, tamvine said:

I have auto channel valid for 2 years. Now Reentry Permit is valid for only one year. I will get new Reentry visa and New Endorsement in the PR book next month. This will mean the data registered for Auto channel will be obsolete for the Reentry Visa number. What needs to be done? Should we ask update of Visa number at Suvarnabhumi or just keep using as it is till validity of Auto Channel comes to an end?

From my experience you don't need to do anything after renewing your re-entry. It is only changing passport or residence certificate that can/does cause problems.

Edited by thedemon
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, thedemon said:

From my experience you don't need to do anything after renewing your re-entry. It is only changing changing passport or residence certificate that can/does cause problems.

In my experience also no action is required. There was a similar/same question recently, which I responded to.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hear, but thanks for the feedback. I have no further ideas at this time.

Again tried today at area after E Gates, same issue, scanner cannot read passport data.
I think I will just get my passport full
of stamps as soon as possible to get a new one
Any other German passport holder still faces same issue as me ?

• 3 months later...

Two questions:
- can I apply for this E-Visa at Chaengwattana? Reason is, that I have to replace my white PR booklet (it is full) next week and if I could do everything in one go ........
- any clue where I can download the forms used to apply (see photos)? 

IMG_6285.jpg

IMG_6285 2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, I read that many people with German passport had issues to register for the egates. However the latest answers were in 2019. 
Are there any news regarding these egates and especially in combination with German passports?

I am flying out today and have the new German passport. Would be curious to know how my chances are if I go and try to register.