Suddenly difficult to get out of bed in morning

jko

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the internet to search for medical information about your lack of energy and other symptoms.....and more than likely you will find enough info to lead you in the right direction.

Meantime...if you wake up in the morning with an erection, all the time or often enough, than that is a measure of a mans health....lol......

Seriously folks...... it is the truth.

Cheers

You seem to obviously be experience some change in health patterns...could be any number of things...low sugar...low blood pressure...and so on...

Suggest if you wish to have a better quality of life...you spend a few more bucks and have a thorough physical examination...you will be glad you did...

Also, you might ask your young female companion to be less demanding...smile.png

Though I am much younger, had the same problem 6 months ago. Was so weak couldn't get out of bed.

Turned out to be a hook worm, not difficult to get in Thailand. Nasty.

See your closest pharmacy for worm meds.

How did you find out it was a hookworm?

Fatigue could be so many things.

I'd want to check:

O2 saturation

Thyroid hormone level

Urine sugar content

Epstein-Barr virus

Testosterone level

Mononucleosis

And if you've been bitten by a tick in certain parts of the world

Lyme disease.

Most of these tests are cheap and easily available.

Good luck to you.

It could well be polymyalgia rhuematica which means large muscle pain . Worst is in the mornings . A blood test will confirm if this is the problem or not . Medication is available and if taken can help you within hours . Prednisone is the usual medication prescribed . It has side affects but does the work required . Need to reduce the amount prescribed slowly as your blood test shows improvement .

I may be wrong but I know people and have had similar symptoms at different stages of my life , I was told it was a form of depression, where you feel there is nothing really there to get up for and your bed is the sanctuary to get away from those doubts about your life. Plan something to do every day ,shopping , washing clothes , go for a walk, anything as my old man used to say , You have to pull your pants up and get on with it

I was thinking the same thing, Just go for a long walk or motorbike ride. Smile at people, get to know people. For me seing how many cute girls I can get to smile.

Lay off the statins! I was all right taking them for around a month or so and then oh dear, hard to get out of bed and out of a chair. Lots of muscle pains and felt dreadful. Stopped taking them and was back to normal in 24 hours. Quality of life is more important than quantity of life to me.

I need more details.

1. When you say it is difficult to get out of bed - difficult how?

Is it that you are groggy and sleepy and have trouble waking up?

Or that you are awake but just feel no motivation to get up?

Or are motivated to get up but your limbs don't seem to respond readily?

Makes a big difference.

2. As you mention having had a recent physical check up: were thyroid levels checked (TSH, T3, T4)?

Any physical check up will have included a blood count so anemia, hookworm etc can be ruled out. But they often do not include a thyroid panel unless specifically requested.

3. What if anything happened in your life just before this problem started?

intestinal parasites can cause symptoms like this….a lot of food in thailand is prepared with scant regard to hygiene….to be sure take a dose of zentel (cheap anti parasite tablet) with a meal and see if you feel better.

also there is a powder called Smecta that is basically to be mixed into water and drunk…it is a form of digestible clay that absorbs any toxins in the gut and passes them out.

Good to rule out parasites before proceeding.

Most likely oxygen deficit . You could have has a minor heart attack in your sleep or advancing heart failure that is finally symptomatic. I'd look there first.

Ditto this, and Lopburi's suggestion to have your heart checked out via EKG and stress test if warrented. Neither expensive, and could uncover a partially blocked coronary artery, which can be easily fixed. Don't wait. Let us know how it turns out...

I am a lot younger than you but about 10 years ago I was glued to my bed and didn't know why. I just didn't want to do stuff and face the world. It begins with "feet on the floor" then just get on with it do the routine of bathroom stuff and find something different that interests you. It can be anything that doesn't involve lying down. A bloody jigsaw or cooking just do something and keep changing the target.

I hope things get better.

Come on, OP, you're experiencing a significant change.....so go see a doctor. Asking for medical advice here is simply foolish.

Considering that you already did the practitioner thing (i,e, saw your doctor and assuming blood work was done ruling out potential iron deficiency, diabetes, etc. and likely thyroid), not being a doctor myself either, it appears that by process of elimination you've ruled out the majority of cursory suggestions except poisoning and depression.

Given there's no medical problem to rule out exercise, even if it isn't what sounds like a degree of depression I I'd be pushing myself a bit to get out of bed to do little things like at least go for a walk. Long periods of boredom can easily lead to depression when coupled with any kind of concerns like financial welfare.

My Dad's 90 and I got him to listen at about 70 when he developed type 2 and it's worked for him, + ensuring drinking enough water, less sugar products and booze.

None of that will hurt.

Jko are you getting any exercise, I find if I exercise I become less lethargic.

What I was going to ask. When I exercise regularly I have fewer aches and pains. That said, though, I don't think lack of exercise would cause a sudden change like he describes. I mostly wake up about 6:30 and don't want to get up but feel like I won't be able to get back to sleep. Once I do get up I gradually feel better as I move around, but I often feel very sleepy from time to time. Maybe it's just age. I'm 78. The comparison may not be good because I've always hated getting up in the morning. I just got into the habit of getting out of bed right away while I was in the Army.

Can you pinpoint anything that changed in your life shortly before this started? I learned from early computers that that's where you start when there's a systems problem. What changed?

Edited by Acharn

The mechanism through which intestinal parasites causes fatigue is anemia (hookworm). He recently had a full check up which was all normal so I think we can rule this out.

Don't mean to hijack this post but my girlfriend has anemia (supposedly from birth of her first child). Is there any treatment available. She is always tired. How to check if it's parasites?

The mechanism through which intestinal parasites causes fatigue is anemia (hookworm). He recently had a full check up which was all normal so I think we can rule this out.

Don't mean to hijack this post but my girlfriend has anemia (supposedly from birth of her first child). Is there any treatment available. She is always tired. How to check if it's parasites?

Yes there is treatment for anemia. The treatment is directed at the cause.

Best your G/F consults a Doctor about her tiredness.

How comprehensive was the check up? Particularly blood test.

Do you see numbers within limits for iron and potassium in the blood?

How was the thyroxin levels?

How is blood-sugar levels?

Try removing gluten from your diet for week.

Any other symptoms, sore throat, joint pain?

Do you sleep soundly or wake up frequently?

Sorry, many questions, no answers.

Hi,

I would recommend a simple blood test checking your testosterone levels. If the testosterone level has decreased rapidly over the last few months. There's your answer. Then it's a simple matter of going in TRT and you'll feel great again after a few weeks.

Edited by Falcon

You say, "shrinking life savings". So, soon you will not have enough to extend your visa. Then, you will have to return to your country of origin, right?

Go to the government hospital where charges are much lower.

Yes, but you should go to one of the teaching hospitals. Long waits, but you will get much better health care, especially with respect to diagnosis.

If you are chronically short of breath on any significant exertion, you need to focus first on cardio-pulmonary system. Start with an EKG and heart enzyme blood tests; these rule in or rule out whether you have had a heart attack or a significant blockage.

Another possibility that I have personally experience is Atrial Fibrillation. A year ago I was swimming about 1,200 meters a day 5-6 days a week. Then one day I was mid lap and suddenly I got very weak and could not continue. I got out and rested and the feeling subsided. Went home, rested and then again experience a strong pressure in my chest and a rapid heart rate. Went to PCP got an EKG, which ruled out a heart attack, but it confirmed I was in AFIB. I had Thai health insurance, but it did not begin for two months and I had stupidly let my Part B U.S. Medicare insurance lapse.

I spend a year going in and out of Afib. By the way, Afib affects about 30% of mostly males over the age of 50 in the U.S. It also appears to be a real problem in Thailand given the big Afib center in Chiang Mai and the main government teaching hospital in Bangkok.

Finally, went back to the U.S. and got it fixed with an pulmonary vein ablation. I am back to swimming and so far so good.

Lastly, it is really important to get a strong, data based, differential diagnosis. Second, start reading. It is your health and you should know enough to understand what is said to you. Also keep in mind that, it is common in Asian healthcare for physicians NOT to give patients any information, especially bad news. Don't except this.

Best of luck.

I need more details.

Makes a big difference.

2. As you mention having had a recent physical check up: were thyroid levels checked (TSH, T3, T4)?

Any physical check up will have included a blood count so anemia, hookworm etc can be ruled out. But they often do not include a thyroid panel unless specifically requested.

First of all may I thank the many folks who responded to this - this is really ThaiVisa working at its best. I hope also that some people may benefit from the various wise comments, and health-related advice already offered here..

Sheryl - thank you for your input - very much appreciated. The essential reason for my post was this sudden - very odd - inability to get out of bed, which others might have also suddenly experienced, and maybe discovered why.

I am busy most days with a number of pleasurable/creative things, and I like to tackle these in the early morning. The motivation to start the day is therefore very strong, and I'm normally up with the lark. Shocked therefore to suddenly lie there feeling so darned weak - not sleepy, groggy, just completely exhausted. Once up, I feel 50/50 until mid-morning, then I'm whacked again, and can't wait to lie down. No neurological symptoms. No sleep apnoea. And I'm certainly not depressed, nor have suffered any recent psychological upsets.

Re thyroid - regular check ups have always been normal, but just checked the recent lab report and see that TSH, T3, T4 were not done, so I'll do this asap. This indeed might be the culprit.

Meanwhile, my renewed thanks to all - great support.

Two things come to mind. Due to your diminished financial position, it may be due to depression. If that is the case you may want to look into some medications.

Do you exercise enough? The lack of cardiovascular exercise takes a toll on the body. None of us are getting younger, and our bodies change. We adapt or we suffer.

Lastly, you may want to look at the nutritional angle here. Are you eating too much meat? This is known to show you down in the hot weather. Do you get enough nutrition from fresh green vegetables? If not, you may want to try a supplement like green vibrance. It is outstanding.

I need more details.

Makes a big difference.

First of all may I thank the many folks who responded to this - this is really ThaiVisa working at its best. I hope also that some people may benefit from the various wise comments, and health-related advice already offered here..

Sheryl - thank you for your input - very much appreciated. The essential reason for my post was this sudden - very odd - inability to get out of bed, which others might have also suddenly experienced, and maybe discovered why.

I am busy most days with a number of pleasurable/creative things, and I like to tackle these in the early morning. The motivation to start the day is therefore very strong, and I'm normally up with the lark. Shocked therefore to suddenly lie there feeling so darned weak - not sleepy, groggy, just completely exhausted. Once up, I feel 50/50 until mid-morning, then I'm whacked again, and can't wait to lie down. No neurological symptoms. No sleep apnoea. And I'm certainly not depressed, nor have suffered any recent psychological upsets.

Re thyroid - regular check ups have always been normal, but just checked the recent lab report and see that TSH, T3, T4 were not done, so I'll do this asap. This indeed might be the culprit.

Meanwhile, my renewed thanks to all - great support.

JKO,

I am sorry you are going through all this.

If you have had a complete work up, and you have ruled out anemia, kidney / liver/heart disease, autoimmune disorders, infections ( HIV, hepatitis, syphilis, worms etc, neurologica;l disorders etc,

then most likely you are experiencing what we call HPA axis dysregulation ( HPA= hypothalamus pituitary-adrenal axis). The less scientific, but more commonly used term for it is: "adrenal fatigue". Nevertheless, it rarely has anything to do with the adrenals. Instead it is usually a brain issue as described above. You do need a fasting and an afternoon cortisol level though just to be sure. Your blood pressure can also be low when symptomatic, but not always.

In most people this comes from excessive stress, too may activities, too much exercise, sometimes medications can do it as well, not enough food (fasting), too much coffee or tea, and not enough sleep.

If that is what you have it has been in the works for years, and one day you just crashed. How many hours of sleep to you get? What time do you go to bed? Have you been busy for many years and getting inadequate rest? Have you had any super stressful periods in the last months, how about in the last 10 years? They tend to accumulate,

This condition results from chronically elevated stress response and the hormones that come surging with it.

Just some food for thought.

Regards.

Though I am much younger, had the same problem 6 months ago. Was so weak couldn't get out of bed.

Turned out to be a hook worm, not difficult to get in Thailand. Nasty.

See your closest pharmacy for worm meds.

How did you find out it was a hookworm?

Symptoms.