Are 150cc sport bikes practical?

Still Living

Bumping this to say I got the chance to ride a new exciter last night and I'm impressed! Fun little bike. Put a smile on my face for sure. ?

Now I'm thinking this bike could be the best of both worlds. Small, light, nimble, can hang bags from a center hook.

Also more fun then your average auto scooter. Might have to get one! Can anyone compare the performance of the CBR150 vs the Yamaha Exciter?

How does the Exciter compare size wise to the other small bikes, I am 6 foot and feel the Wave is a little on the small size?

I like the engine size, the light weight and low c of g.

I am also 6ft, and had a Wave for seven years, I never felt it was on the small size. Great reliable economical bike.

Nothing wrong with a wave! The wave rsx fi is a good looking bike and just over $1,000 here. Great value. Would probably sell quick too if I wanted to unload it.

I just don't like the semi autos. It's either auto or manual for me.

I know I should get the Nouvo but... YAWN...

post-246366-0-95084700-1443769166_thumb.

Edited by Still Living

Nothing wrong with a wave! The wave rsx fi is a good looking bike and just over $1,000 here. Great value. Would probably sell quick too if I wanted to unload it.

What do you mean by a semi-auto, manual with auto clutch? If so I don't know of any small bikes with a manual clutch. My Wave is auto clutch, only the older ones (100cc) have manual clutches, I thought..

What do you mean by a semi-auto, manual with auto clutch? If so I don't know of any small bikes with a manual clutch. My Wave is auto clutch, only the older ones (100cc) have manual clutches, I thought..

Exactly. Not sure the proper terminology but yes, the manual bikes with no clutch feel odd to me. Maybe I'm riding them wrong but they don't feel smooth at all. The few waves I tried clunk through the gears and it feels like I'm riding a tractor with bicycle tires. Plus I'm used to the standard motorcycle gears where you click up to move up through the gears. They're still dependable economical bikes and of course, the most popular bikes on the road here.

The only small fully manual bikes I know of are the raider and the exciter. Is that little Honda msx manual? Not sure, too small for me anyways. But yeah there's a few mini motorcycles out there. I think the exciter is the best of them.

There is no one bike that is going to do everything well. For long range traveling, of course a scooter isn't the best choice. Get a bike suitable for what YOU want to do most. No one can make that decision for you. As for the reliability factor of the Exciter. I haven't heard anything negative. And no, the engine is not shared with any previous model. It is new for the Exciter. As someone else posted, it is very popular in Vietnam where it was released first.

Look at some of the Youtube videos and other articles and you will get all the specs and information you could possibly need instead of piece by piece here. I am not a Yamaha salesman. I just related my experience and it has been fun for me. But that is what i bought it for. FUN! Like many of my friends, I have more than one motorcycle. Each (5) excel at somethings and suck at others. Make your choice. smile.png

529296_10151381325059135_855415668_n.jpg

Photo: Pre-Exciter 150

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Exciter seems like it could be fun in the city. Clutch and gears and a bit more power than a Wave so a little bit more fun factor. If you intend to take longer trips I would go with the CBR, but for in town-use Exciter seems good except for the lack of storage. You're right that there aren't many options for small bikes with clutches, currently it's just the Exciter, Raider, and MSX. I heard Kawa is doing a version of the KSR with a clutch but I'm not sure if it's sold here. Anyway, both the ksr and the msx are a bit small for a full size farang rider.

It sounds like you're leaning towards the Exciter; if you're mostly going to be doing city riding, go for it. You could stick some hooks on there for shopping and even a basket and a top box if you really need to. I can't remember what the "quality concerns" mentioned were, there were a couple Exciter threads a few months back so you could search for those. Anyway I can't imagine it being any lower quality than similar small bikes like the Nuovo.

Get a used scooter at the auction. Half price compared to new. It does not matter if it looks sporty or aunty. They all drive. And you wont show off with either. So save some money and get a reliable transport. 3 months old, failed financing, something like that.

Get a used scooter at the auction. Half price compared to new. It does not matter if it looks sporty or aunty. They all drive. And you wont show off with either. So save some money and get a reliable transport. 3 months old, failed financing, something like that.

Address of auctions around Thailand would be helpful!

Bumping this to say I got the chance to ride a new exciter last night and I'm impressed! Fun little bike. Put a smile on my face for sure. ?

Now I'm thinking this bike could be the best of both worlds. Small, light, nimble, can hang bags from a center hook.

Also more fun then your average auto scooter. Might have to get one! Can anyone compare the performance of the CBR150 vs the Yamaha Exciter?

How does the Exciter compare size wise to the other small bikes, I am 6 foot and feel the Wave is a little on the small size?

Lower CG than the others?

Reference please.

Reference please.

Bumping this to say I got the chance to ride a new exciter last night and I'm impressed! Fun little bike. Put a smile on my face for sure.

Reference please.

If CG refers to Centre of Gravity then it's possibly the fact that everything sits lower in the frame, ie fuel tank etc.

My NSR 150 SP is the most unpractical but most fun bike I've had (on road).

Cuts thru traffic too easy, sounds great (if you like 2 stokes)

Good for about 300 ks on a day trip.

Vibrates, sucks fuel, needs oil, hard to ride (clutch and gears) owes me all of 30k and thats for 2 (with books), have a running rat bike to pull spares from.

Fast

post-80695-0-47296500-1443926047_thumb.j

Ok let's not beat around the bush here. What I really want to know is what will get me the most girls. The CBR IS SEXIER but a scooter is better for carrying two girls back to my condo. Even has a hook to hang a few bags of som tam. Ahh decisions. ?

If that's the main concern... get a car. laugh.png

Yes an expensive one, not cause they like cars, it just shows off the obvious.

This is exactly what sets true riders apart. They aren't looking for anything that just "drives", or is just transportation. A rider, or whatever euphemism you may want to use, wants to enjoy the motorcycle not just use it. Be it a 150cc or a 1,000cc. He wants it to make him smile when he looks at it. When he rides, it makes him happy and feel good regardless of the destination, or no destination at all. He wants to improve his skill each time he rides. It's his 'fine wine'. Above is a post of a two stroke 150. As the poster says, it has many bad points, but HE likes it and it makes HIM feel good. That is what it is all about. I think this is the reaction the OP is looking for. I have been riding since I was 15 and I am now 65.

On a Sunday I saw the Exciter on display at a local Chiang Mai Tesco-Lotus, I liked it! I went home and searched all the information on the internet I could find. It looked impressive for what it is. On Monday I went to Yamaha and bought it. My advice to the OP is to quit agonizing over this. By now you should know what is right for you (new or used). Make a choice and just do it. Enjoy it. You can always change to something else later. smile.png

I'm going to look at a used Nouvo this afternoon. Old but looks clean. He's asking $250. If it checks out I'll buy it.

My last bike was an old Nouvo I paid $120 for... Rode it all over Vietnam and Cambodia with zero problems. Gave it away in Sihanoukville.

I'll keep the scooter as my grocery getter and get the toy I really want. I agree with silverhawk. Bikes are more then transportation for me. It's a hobby. The one thing I miss about America is riding big bikes. They aren't practical for these streets but I can still have some fun.

post-246366-0-18978100-1443934000_thumb.

Edited by Still Living

My NSR 150 SP is the most unpractical but most fun bike I've had (on road).

Cuts thru traffic too easy, sounds great (if you like 2 stokes)

Good for about 300 ks on a day trip.

Vibrates, sucks fuel, needs oil, hard to ride (clutch and gears) owes me all of 30k and thats for 2 (with books), have a running rat bike to pull spares from.

Fast

attachicon.gifmsr12423.jpg

Nice! Those old NSR's are great. Quick too. I used to have a Kawa KR150 for awhile. 2 strokes are high maintenance but loads of fun. thumbsup.gif

Edited by andrewrooney

If you like 2 strokes cant go past a suzuki rgv 250 or An Rs250 Aprilia.. Have not seen many here....actually used the rgv as a daily commuter... Man I loved those bikes.. Might have to look for one in Thailand.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Bumping this to say I got the chance to ride a new exciter last night and I'm impressed! Fun little bike. Put a smile on my face for sure.

Reference please.

If CG refers to Centre of Gravity then it's possibly the fact that everything sits lower in the frame, ie fuel tank etc.
Compared to the other small bikes ?

A Wave?

A Phantom?

A Raider?

Edited by papa al

Reference please.

Compared to the other small bikes ?

A Wave?

A Phantom?

A Raider?

Look up at the quoted remarks.. It was exciter and CBR!

Address of auctions around Thailand would be helpful!

union-auction.com. They also have pricelists there, but the bike will be different. But a good indication what you can expect.

Just go there and spend half a day there, interesting show. There was one in Huay Khwang and another in Rangsit. Not sure if this has changed.