Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

3. 3,832

LTR Visa is Now available for Long Term Residency

4. 0

Air India trip report....

5. 9

The Urgency of Addressing Iran’s Nuclear Threat

6. 17

My Topics and comments has moved from the right side over to the left of the page

7. 76

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

8. 8

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

9. 47

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 51

Wine In Checked Baggage

Draft law 'will help' reduce teen pregnancies

webfact

Draft law 'will help' reduce teen pregnancies
VISARUT SANKHAM
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- A NEW draft law will help reduce teenage pregnancies and help girls who have become young mothers.

"We believe the law will help. We need a law, not just rules," Jetn Siratharanont said late last week, in his capacity as president of the National Legislative Assembly's committee on public health.

Teenage pregnancy has been a major problem over the past decade. Records show that every two hours, a baby is born to a mother younger than 15 years old. This puts Thailand at 11th in the world when it comes to teenage pregnancy problems.

Proposed by the Public Health Ministry, the Prevention of and Solutions to Teenage Pregnancy Bill has already won backing from Cabinet. It is now being reviewed by the Council of State.

"If the bill is turned into law, the number of teen pregnancies should drop. This is because the new law will prescribe comprehensive sex education. For example, students will learn about how to refuse sexual advances," Jetn said.

Lessons would be different depending on the age of students, but the main objective is to create understanding and cut down risky behaviour that might lead to teenage pregnancies.

"This bill focuses on girls aged between 10 to 19 years old," Jetn said.

An informed source revealed that the new law would also make condoms more available to teenagers.

It added that the draft law was also designed to help pregnant teenagers cope with what happens to them.

"For example, schools will be required to allow pregnant students in their classes," the source said.

The source said in the event of a pregnancy, the draft law proposes a pregnancy test, antenatal care, or even having birth control in order to prevent further unwanted pregnancies.

But Suphensri Pheungkhoa-ksoong, head of the Friends |of Women Foundation's Women's Rights Protection Centre, said the draft fails to address the full scope of unwanted pregnancies.

"Teenage moms account for just 10 per cent of 800,000 pregnancies in Thailand each year," she said.

She said university students in their 20s and working women in the 25 to 35-year-old group, also faced unwanted pregnancy problems.

"In fact, such new laws should also address issues surrounding rape victims and low-income pregnant workers, and pregnant migrants," Suphensri said.

She also expressed concern about Section 23 of the bill, which gives officials the right to question and inspect any teenage couple walking near a hotel, or even to break into a "suspicious room".

"Such actions may violate children's rights," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Draft-law-will-help-reduce-teen-pregnancies-30269822.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-30

"....Section 23 of the bill, which gives officials the right to question and inspect any teenage couple walking near a hotel, or even to break into a "suspicious room"."

NO, NO, NO, no, no, NO!

A couple of decades ago on my first ever trip to Malaysia I read a newspaper report on an incident in a northeastern state, which was well known for it's enforcement of strict Islam, in which the Sharia police had forced entry to a house where they believed an unmarried couple were to be found unsupervised.

The unsupervised couple, in their 20s, were in the premises and, Shock Horror, they were watching television but such an innocent act didn't stop them having to appear before a Sharia Court since they were alone and unmarried. I have no idea how the case was disposed of.

Is this where LoS is heading ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

"...Section 23 of the bill, which gives officials the right to question and inspect any teenage couple walking near a hotel, or even to break into a "suspicious room"..."

It all sounded pretty reasonable, until this...the junta's influence just has to step in with their heavy hand.

How about free oral contraceptives , both pre and post types for young ladies between the ages of 11 to 20? Those that wish to indulge can and will (regardless of the law), and those that do not wish to indulge will continue to not indulge. Or is this solution too easy, and will be said to encourage promiscuous behaviour. A horny girl who wants sex, will have sex, give her the means to avoid pregnancy. Sex is natural and IS NOT BAD. More open education in schools would help, from an early age, outlining risks, and consequences.

How about free oral contraceptives , both pre and post types for young ladies between the ages of 11 to 20? Those that wish to indulge can and will (regardless of the law), and those that do not wish to indulge will continue to not indulge. Or is this solution too easy, and will be said to encourage promiscuous behaviour. A horny girl who wants sex, will have sex, give her the means to avoid pregnancy. Sex is natural and IS NOT BAD. More open education in schools would help, from an early age, outlining risks, and consequences.

I think your attitude towards sex needs adjusting too.

An 11 year old girl does not have sex because she's horny, she has sex because the boy convinces her it's "the thing to do" and she doesn't know any better or doesn't have the fortitude to resist...she's a child, after all.

To think she has sex because she's horny... I sincerely hope you do not come across any lone 11 year olds, because you just might convince yourself that her smile means she's horny.

To talk about free oral contraceptives for 11 year old girls and to say sex is "NOT BAD" in the same breath, is abhorrent in my mind.

You also ignore the glaring fact of the problem: Informed choices, education.

Your attitude is let the rabbits root as that is what rabbits do.

And another thing you ignore is STDs. Give an 11 year old the pill but no education....no pregnancy but AIDS and the clap. Great!

How about a law that says the irresponsible boys who will stick their dicks in anything they can, WILL be held financially responsible for the child until the child is 18.

THAT is very important.

They seem to blame it all on the girls...boys will be boys, hahaha, but hey, girls, you need to learn some things.

It's almost as if they are saying that boys need to have their fun, but girls need to stop themselves getting pregnant.

Edited by Seastallion

How about a law that says the irresponsible boys who will stick their dicks in anything they can, WILL be held financially responsible for the child until the child is 18.

Agree and if the boys are still in school their parents have to support the child.

Thai male "status". It's a well knows fact that among Thai boys, the more girls you can screw, the higher your status us. Now, for the girls, the more guys she has, the bigger the slut she is. To be fair, this isn't just in Thai society, but here it's socially prevalent and "in your face". This attitude has to change, and that has to begin at home when they are young. Which means it ain't gonna happen.

"We believe the law will help. We need a law, not just rules,"

Sure because in Thailand laws are really respected and enforced.

The best example is the law, not just a rule, that everyone in Thailand needs to wear a helmet when riding a bike.

Or in this case the need to wear a raincoat over the helmet!

wow ... the law will make the pregnancies drop ...

maybe if they give a vaccine , force it onto the population and nobody tells them it will make them STERILE

that would be a real option, would it not ?

so, will a law make corruption & greed go away ?

Last year 5 of my students M1-M3 dropped out of school because of that they had gotten pregnant. We are talking about 13-15 year old girls that dropped out of school because of pregnancy!
This needs to be addressed and one main problem is the Thai culture about not talking about sex. Another problem is also cultural based with the men having many and young sex partners. One of the girls was forced to marry the father of her child, she was 15 and he 35 when they got married and then their daughter was already borne so she was only 14 when she got pregnant!

Last year 5 of my students M1-M3 dropped out of school because of that they had gotten pregnant. We are talking about 13-15 year old girls that dropped out of school because of pregnancy!

This needs to be addressed and one main problem is the Thai culture about not talking about sex. Another problem is also cultural based with the men having many and young sex partners. One of the girls was forced to marry the father of her child, she was 15 and he 35 when they got married and then their daughter was already borne so she was only 14 when she got pregnant!

So, he was 34 and she was 14 when she got pregnant. Well, according to THAI LAW, that is considered as "Statutory Rape". But since he "married" her, then that makes everything okay. Absolutely disgusting!

as I said on another thread: sexual education has to start earlier than with 10, already in Kindergarden as it is in EU. Later teachers are needed to explain how to prevent pregnancies. As this with girls and boys together, not seperated.

But on top of it the government should provide a well working system for monitored abortions by doctors in HOSPITALS. Not in dark hidden back rooms where it is done by ?

I hope they are science students, not students of English.

as I said on another thread: sexual education has to start earlier than with 10, already in Kindergarden as it is in EU. Later teachers are needed to explain how to prevent pregnancies. As this with girls and boys together, not seperated.

Agree....sort of. Separation of elder students for the more embarrassing topics because embarrassed students switch off, but group teaching for the basics.

Kindergarten is probably suitable for teaching the basics if life.....grow a seed on cotton wool, watch puppies or kittens suckle etc.

I have a 12 year old student for whom I tutor science. His curriculum at school at the moment is plant reproduction...he was absolutely gobsmacked and amazed at the carrot top I put in water and that sprouted. He was also totally amazed when we went outside and I found a sator bean sprouting. Amazed. He had no idea how plants reproduce, no idea about life.

What will the police do if they stop teenagers walking near a hotel? Will the law make it illegal to have sex if the police say it is inappropriate? Will the new law make pre marital sex illegal?

The issue should be tackled with education, nothing else will work. They have mentioned that here, it is where the efforts should be placed in my view.

You will never stop teenagers having sex, but you can educate to be responsible,, never mind stopping teenagers in the street, what a complete waste of time.