Somyot hands over reins to Jakthip, may launch businesses

webfact

Somyot hands over reins to Jakthip, may launch businesses
The Nation

30269929-01_big.jpg?1443649696388

BANGKOK: -- OUTGOING NATIONAL police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang yesterday revealed a plan to do business in his post-retirement life while ruling out a political career for now. He and his successor, Pol General Jakthip Chaijinda, yesterday performed a worship ceremony at the police head office on Somyot's last day in office.

Somyot said he never felt regret for the work he had done while being at the helm of the police force because he had done his best and had got good cooperation from subordinates. Some tasks would need to be continued by his successors, including procuring modern equipment, he added.

"After this day I will be a civilian. I might start businesses or invest with my friends, such as in land development, real estate, restaurants, as well as other activities that make life worthwhile," he said.

Somyot said a planned sports-complex project could see its opinion-gathering website launched today if deemed appropriate. He denied this complex could lead him into politics.

"I cannot give you an answer whether I'll join politics, as it's too soon to tell. If everything is in place and it would benefit the country, I might join politics," he said.

Somyot served 42 years in the force, starting as a senior reserved position at the Royal Police Cadet Academy in 1974 and was promoted to major-general in 1978.

Somyot said he had worked with Jakthip for a long time, so he was sure about his successor's performance and believed he would bring something good to the force.

Jakthip said he would continue Somyot's work such as a project to build a hospital in the deep South and police firearms procurement. He promised to lead the force and serve the public with integrity and garner public support and acceptance.

Meanwhile, outgoing Army commander General Udomdej Sitabutr yesterday welcomed his successor General Teerachai Nakwanich at the Commander Royal Thai Army Office at Bangkok's Rajdamnoen Avenue.

Teerachai said it was the greatest honour in life to be promoted to this position, while Udomdej said he believed in the new commander's potential, which had been shown through his dedication and sacrifice in work.

The two commanders also had a march of honour by three battalions (the 1st Division King's Guard, the 2nd Cavalry Division King's Guard, and the Army Air Defence Command) while officers also sang for them the song titled "Good People Never Die" afterwards.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Somyot-hands-over-reins-to-Jakthip-may-launch-busi-30269929.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-01

Possibly the most crooked public servant i've EVER seen. Although i can't recall him ever seeing him serve the public, like for example reward those regular citizens who provide tip offs and the like.

A joke, and a sick one at that. I hope the rrp turns a corner with a new top dog. I don't hold out much hope however

A Policeman's Lot is Not a Happy One.When a copper's not engaged in his employmentOr maturing his felonious little plans,His capacity for innocent enjoymentIs just as great as any honest man's.

Apologies to the great Gilbert & Sullivan

Edited by ratcatcher

"After this day I will be a civilian. I might start businesses or invest with my friends, such as in land development, real estate, restaurants, as well as other activities that make life worthwhile," he said.

All this on a lowly policeman's wages he must have been very frugal, and to think that some posters say that Thai people can't handle money.

"After this day I will be a civilian (but I will keep my Police Rank as part of my name forever more). I might start businesses (but i will never ever have to pay protection money, look-the-other-way-money, or stay-open-after-legal-hours-money as is the duty of any other civilian entrepreneur) such as restaurants (it is in your best interest not to complain about food quality or service), as well as other activities that make life worthwhile (i.e. charity, non-profit organization, philanthropy, activist for change)."

Serious question. Really bugs me. How to all the hi-so police earn aviator wings?

They are not proper aviator's (flyer's) wings; they are jump wings (note the parachute representation atop the badge). The Thai army parachute school pumps a large number of candidates through their course for the express purpose of adding an impressive attachment to their uniforms. Police members with influential sponsors will be sent to this program early in their careers and will forever wear a visual reminder of their 'eliteness'. True story.

Having lots of insignia, ribbons etc is of paramount importance to many military and police types and wings are one of the most coveted adornments. Since very few people (especially police) qualify as actual flyers they have adopted parachute wings as a somewhat passable substitute.

Short story: They're 'copy' wings.

Edited by Hayduke

Serious question. Really bugs me. How to all the hi-so police earn aviator wings?

It's all part of the salad dressing.

Here's a comparison.

post-9891-0-74383900-1443668050_thumb.jp post-9891-0-36720800-1443668057_thumb.jp

Head of Royal Thai Police...........................Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis (UK)

A cadet in '74, a major general by '78.... he must really know his "stuff".rolleyes.gif

I presume that the "stuff" you refer to is the network of contacts that one needs in this country (in order to succeed)?

Started in a senior reserved position, does that mean the door was open or he knew his stuff? he knew damb well how to pay reward money b4 he resigned or just knew his stuff, a new career in night clubs may well mean the opening hours have to change in order for bigger envelopes, bulding empty apartments not so profitable stick to night life. wai2.gif

oh and forgot he solved the Koh Tao murders b4 he resigned that is really knowing stuff as that means they were guilty b4 trial now how is that for a 6th sense!

They are not proper aviator's (flyer's) wings; they are jump wings (note the parachute representation atop the badge). The Thai army parachute school pumps a large number of candidates through their course for the express purpose of adding an impressive attachment to their uniforms. Police members with influential sponsors will be sent to this program early in their careers and will forever wear a visual reminder of their 'eliteness'. True story.

Having lots of insignia, ribbons etc is of paramount importance to many military and police types and wings are one of the most coveted adornments. Since very few people (especially police) qualify as actual flyers they have adopted parachute wings as a somewhat passable substitute.

Short story: They're 'copy' wings.

At first I thought they were jump wings and then I noticed that was not a chute but the Thai emblem. PX Rangers, huh?

His meteoric rise was all down to hard ' graft '.

No surprise he's going into business but how many of them will actually be legal, sort of ?

I am sure he has saved up lots of "seed" money for new ventures. Does his brown envelope get smaller now or bigger.Quote "After this day I will be a civilian. I might start businesses or invest with my friends, such as in land development, real estate, restaurants, as well as other activities that make life worthwhile," he said. unquote. He seems to have led more than a worthwhile life up to this point. Nothing will change under his successor to be sure. I am sure the game plan is the same. If he was not a disciple of the status quo he obviously would have been passed over for the job.

Possibly the most crooked public servant i've EVER seen. Although i can't recall him ever seeing him serve the public, like for example reward those regular citizens who provide tip offs and the like.

A joke, and a sick one at that. I hope the rrp turns a corner with a new top dog. I don't hold out much hope however

He will be the new MC on the Thai version of "The Wheel of Fortune"

He's already in big business. His retirement as Police Chief is just in time for his Company "Samart" to sign some more waste to energy power plant deals with the Government.

Hmmmm. Wasn't his mate who got caught trying to board a plane in Japan with his loaded gun officially on a business tour related to waste to energy plants?

Wheels within wheels.

The former Chief, is of course, already an amazingly successful investor. A sort of "Sage of OMG" (Sorry Warren).

My local inspector who has 25 years service tells me he earns 500 baht per day so how much does a general earn ? A local Thai teacher who has just been retired after 27 years tells me his pension will be 13,000 baht per month , HR told me that whilst employed his salary was 26,000 per month he was the English teacher in the local high school . I would love to know how much this police officer was on and what his pension will be !