Thai police give assurance single gateway won’t breach freedoms

webfact

Police give assurance single gateway won’t breach freedoms

polx.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 October 2015 (NNT) – Assistant National Police Chief Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thavornsiri has insisted that the single gateway initiative is still in its conceptual stage and is not intended to deprive people of their freedoms while warning dissenters against causing trouble.

Amidst widespread criticism of the single gateway concept, Pol Lt Gen Prawut confirmed that the matter is currently under study by all related agencies and nothing has been decided yet.

He explained that the single gateway system would definitely not prevent internet users gaining access to useful websites or general online content.

Instead, the system would aim to filter out any information that could threaten national security, tarnish the image of the Thai monarchy, or contaminate the minds of children.

After a large number of dissenters intentionally flocked to the websites of many state agencies in a bid to cause their servers to crash, Pol Lt Gen Prawut called on those individuals to stop their action, warning that police could identify who they were and they could be subjected to punishments under the Computer Crime Act.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-02 footer_n.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so overlook that the Thai police are the most corrupt and least trustworthy organisation in Thailand...

If this single gateway was 'for the people' then why would the police be involved or even feel it their place to comment?

The unelected undemocratic self imposed PM has obviously told his high level servants and Ministers to start a unified propaganda campaign similar to what his buddies do in Communist China to pave the way for the inevitable Prayut Gateway.

No one is buying it.

interesting how they did their May 22 thing without to much resistance, but <deleted> with the internet and everybody goes crazy all of a sudden.

After a large number of dissenters intentionally flocked to the websites of many state agencies in a bid to cause their servers to crash, Pol Lt Gen Prawut called on those individuals to stop their action, warning that police could identify who they were and they could be subjected to punishments under the Computer Crime Act.

And how would they determine who was signed onto the sites for malicious purposes and who was signed on for real business??

Exactly what freedoms is he referring to? What freedoms are guaranteed by Thai Law? Oh, and exactly what Thai law is in effect or will be in the future? If the "freedoms" are breached, what recourse will the victims have? Would any lawsuits or other legal action be allowed under whatever law or laws are around at the time? Sorry, this is my western train of thought and I know it doesn't necessarily fit into the Thai or Asian mentality

So this single gateway will filter out any information that could threaten national security.( anything that contradicts what the gov says or poses questions which could get people thinking against the gov). Tarnish the image of the Thai monarchy( I won't touch this one). Or contaminate the minds of children( get the kids to see that life could or would be better without the gov in charge. Prevent children from learning the truth about Thai need or history or anything that would teach them they are being controlled. Prevent them and in turn everyone access to information unless it is deemed fit by self serving politicians and likely one of the most corrupt police forces in the world. Prevent social media interaction within Thailand. )

Being that it is impossible to filter such widespread areas then it will all be blocked once an officials sees it can stir individual thought or questions any power or authority.

If this single server was such a good idea then why are unrelated agencies backing it and why is everyone so keen to support it except the people?

Maybe they believe that if enough officials claim it is for the good of the people that the people will believe them

The unelected undemocratic self imposed PM has obviously told his high level servants and Ministers to start a unified propaganda campaign similar to what his buddies do in Communist China to pave the way for the inevitable Prayut Gateway.

No one is buying it.

interesting how they did their May 22 thing without to much resistance, but <deleted> with the internet and everybody goes crazy all of a sudden.

Hey Enterprise,

They're used to coup's. They've just gotten hooked on Facebook though, which seems to be kind of like Meth/Yaba.

Aside from online bullying (which recently ended with the stabbing of the bully in Jomtien), the net is more of a sticks & stones may break my bones but now the government wants to censor words, which can 'never hurt me (them)'.

The mere fact that they are terrified of freedom of expression (in the written word), is terrifying.

I'd expect more, not less unrest if they get too far (I should say further) into the freedom of speech arena censorship.

For heavens sake, why is the assistant national police chief chiming in on this topic?

They never learn to just keep quiet.

The MICT or whatever that ministry is now called (Ministry of Truth? Ministry of the Digital Economy?), should be the only one's commenting on this matter.

Ok then, no problems. We have been assured by the always correct and above board Royal Thai Police that all will be well.

He explained that the single gateway system would definitely not prevent internet users gaining access to useful websites or general online content.

Hmmm, the whole purpose of the single government (police?) controlled gateway is to make sure that websites and online content 'good' people deem offensive/damaging to Thailand is blocked.

Instead, the system would aim to filter out any information that could threaten national security, tarnish the image of the Thai monarchy, or contaminate the minds of children.

See. The second sentence says that the gateway will be used to block websites/content from users, thus contradicting the first sentence.

We, as free thinking people are not allowed to decide for ourselves what is or is not good/acceptable/appropriate. We must have 'good' government types deciding for us.

Welcome to North Korea II. I think it is going to be a very long time before Thailand returns to any form of democracy, even the pseudo democracy we had under the Shins. Almost makes one long for Thaksin to return. Almost.

What films have been banned and why. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_films

I didn't know NZ banned Mad Max. Once censorship gets a foothold I guess anything can happen.

Listening to certain people who brodcast on TV daily can contaminate children.

Thailand needs a decent constitution and bill of rights so this kind of stuff can't happen.

Coming from the people who took the reward money with a straight face, you will forgive me for being a touch cynical.

I hear Ko Tao is nice at this time of year?

It's not being cynical, this

Amidst widespread criticism of the single gateway concept, Pol Lt Gen Prawut confirmed that the matter is currently under study by all related agencies and nothing has been decided yet.

is an outright lie. Many of us thought this idiocy would be quietly dropped but given these ongoing statements, together with even the usually reasonably conservative BP headlines AND 'pro royalists headed by Pra Buddha Issara (what a joke)' are demonstrating against the US outside their embassy. Someone's not very well.

Today a revolution wouldn't require violence. Just shut down the internet. No banking, no domestic or international business transactions, no export orders, nothing imported, no money transfers, no web sites can be reached, no email communication, commerce stops...

Heck, just block ports 80, 110 and 443 for websites, SSL and email and it all stops... whistling.gif

And how would they determine who was signed onto the sites for malicious purposes and who was signed on for real business??

Do you really think that they care?

A few fierce punishments will serve to shut down dissent - for a while.

Coming from the people who took the reward money with a straight face, you will forgive me for being a touch cynical.

is an outright lie. Many of us thought this idiocy would be quietly dropped but given these ongoing statements, together with even the usually reasonably conservative BP headlines AND 'pro royalists headed by Pra Buddha Issara (what a joke)' are demonstrating against the US outside their embassy. Someone's not very well.

With apologies for going off topic, what are they protesting? There doesn't seem to be any mention in the news forum...?

Sort of sounds like communism.....

Sounds a lot more like Single Party State, it really is a take your pick what sort of government system such entities choose to pass by as.

And yah I am aware that most attempts at communism weren't exactly gotten at via the ballot box. Thus opposition parties were in gross simplification, enemies of the state and the revolution. Just hate to confuse a failed economic model with a quite successful political structure.

With apologies for going off topic, what are they protesting? There doesn't seem to be any mention in the news forum...?

'Biased Thais' who criticise Thailand and who support HRW. Unable to link but on front page BP today.

Edited by dageurreotype