Djokovic and Nadal mix tennis with politics on Thailand trip

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Im sure if they are willing to pay 150 mil Baht people will come to Thailand. Would even do it myself but require a bit more to meet the junta and shake his hand or a bit less if I can have 2 minutes of free speech.

So what exactly would you say in your two minutes ?.

What liberties have you been deprived of which you had before ?. Maybe you own an M79 and got put out of work ?. Or maybe you are a rice-miller whose profits have dropped sharply ?.

Would you talk about the people who have gone missing ?. Oh, there aren't any. I bet you wish there were so you could complain about it.

Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?. Where a deputy Prime-Minister said "We don't need to worry about minorities. If they don't like it, they can vote us out" ?.

Did you go out and protest against the amnesty bill ?. Or the attempt to take massive loans off-budget ?. Did you voice concern that the government were murdering protesters to try and scare them away ?.

Even if you had your 2 minutes, I'm quite sure we would just get more of the same meaningless rhetoric we see here all the time which you just copied from some other red-shirt forum. You pretend you are championing some 'noble cause' but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before.

"What liberties have you been deprived of which you had before ?"

Me, John? None, but the Thais have lost the right to have a say in who shall rule the country. Do you understand that, John??

"Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?"

Yes John, it was a democracy, albeit a very flawed one. Please tell me John what you would characterize the present junta as? And why do you keep harping on about the amnesty bill that failed. The present junta overthrew the elected government and promptly granted themselves and amnesty from any past, present and future crimes. How do you like that, John??

"....but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before."

And the present bunch smells of roses, do they John? Remember your hero threatening journalists who questioned his wealth? Is that the actions of a person with nothing to hide? Is it, John?

Who is this EnglishJohn character in real life? A disgrace to real Englishmen for sure, of whom i'm one. A junta apologist with a complete disregard for the atrocities committed by the elitist factions over the centuries against the disenfranchised peasants and their rights to a democratically elected government - and I'm talking not just about Thailand but the UK and every country that's fought for and won democratic rights for its people.

"Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal swapped tennis outfits for traditional Thai silk jackets Friday and shook hands with the head of Thailand's ruling junta on a trip that mixed sports with politics."

I'm not seeing where they mixed in politics.

PR for tourism yes.

Politics, no. Shaking hands with a country's prime minister is hardly politics.

it is a shame for this tennis player, who have so much money earnt in their life, that they need to make a promotion tour for a criminal

Junta leader, who break the Law in Thailand when took over the power with his army.

to change the law after the coup doesnt make it illegal and one day he and his felloews will be in front of a court for their crimes!

Next time the tennis players will shake hands in North Korea or with some African Army General, there are people with moral courage and without,

this tennis player belong to the second group

Yeah, right.

Yes, Im sure if they are willing to pay 150 mil Baht people will come to Thailand. Would even do it myself but require a bit more to meet the junta and shake his hand or a bit less if I can have 2 minutes of free speech.

You seem to have a lot of free speech for free on ThaiVisa!

What liberties have you been deprived of which you had before ?. Maybe you own an M79 and got put out of work ?. Or maybe you are a rice-miller whose profits have dropped sharply ?.

Would you talk about the people who have gone missing ?. Oh, there aren't any. I bet you wish there were so you could complain about it.

Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?. Where a deputy Prime-Minister said "We don't need to worry about minorities. If they don't like it, they can vote us out" ?.

Did you go out and protest against the amnesty bill ?. Or the attempt to take massive loans off-budget ?. Did you voice concern that the government were murdering protesters to try and scare them away ?.

Even if you had your 2 minutes, I'm quite sure we would just get more of the same meaningless rhetoric we see here all the time which you just copied from some other red-shirt forum. You pretend you are championing some 'noble cause' but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before.

Me, John? None, but the Thais have lost the right to have a say in who shall rule the country. Do you understand that, John??

"Would you talk about wanting 'democracy' ?. Do you seriously think you had it before when every MP voted for the disgraceful amnesty bill because they were ordered to by Thaksin for his own personal benefit ?"

Yes John, it was a democracy, albeit a very flawed one. Please tell me John what you would characterize the present junta as? And why do you keep harping on about the amnesty bill that failed. The present junta overthrew the elected government and promptly granted themselves and amnesty from any past, present and future crimes. How do you like that, John??

"....but in reality you want everything back the dirty and corrupt way it was before."

And the present bunch smells of roses, do they John? Remember your hero threatening journalists who questioned his wealth? Is that the actions of a person with nothing to hide? Is it, John?

Who is this EnglishJohn character in real life? A disgrace to real Englishmen for sure, of whom i'm one. A junta apologist with a complete disregard for the atrocities committed by the elitist factions over the centuries against the disenfranchised peasants and their rights to a democratically elected government - and I'm talking not just about Thailand but the UK and every country that's fought for and won democratic rights for its people.

We haven't had a democratically elected government in Thailand for many years. Dictatorship via a scam ballot box or dictatorship via coup is exactly the same.

We haven't had a democratically elected government in Thailand for many years. Dictatorship via a scam ballot box or dictatorship via coup is exactly the same.

No it's not. The elections previously held in Thailand were all accepted as reasonably fair by the international community.

I guess the problem with this sort of thing is that it looks(at least tacitly) that these 2 players support the junta when in fact the opposite may be true but the political edge of this sport and politics mixture would prevent this being said. Which, I suggest,is why something like this is fairly misleading Still on the positive side the PM will get tennis racquets he'll probably never use and the sportsmen will get clothing they'll probably never wear again, so it wasn't a total waste of time

Well done Khun Prayuth Chan o char , It gives the Thai people something to smile about and enjoy meeting and watching professional tennis players do their thing.

Good to boost moral, show the community that sportsmen do enjoy Thailand and give confidence that it is safe in thailand. thumbsup.gif

To those on TV who think this is wrong .... it' not ...

It's absolutely no different from the US paying Jack Nicholson or Tiger Woods to appear at an event .....

To PM Khun Prayuth wai2.gif

These guys were offered a generous sum of money to play a tennis match...period. Their attire was probably not their choice, they probably did not know what the colors symbolized. They have a talent, they travel the world to make money. I have no interest in their politics, they are not my business. When foreign golfers come to play in the Thailand open do you all castigate them? Utterly ridiculous.

Well done Khun Prayuth Chan o char , It gives the Thai people something to smile about and enjoy meeting and watching professional tennis players do their thing.

Good to boost moral, show the community that sportsmen do enjoy Thailand and give confidence that it is safe in thailand. thumbsup.gif

To those on TV who think this is wrong .... it' not ...

It's absolutely no different from the US paying Jack Nicholson or Tiger Woods to appear at an event .....

To PM Khun Prayuth wai2.gif

I doubt they pay "Jack Nicholson" to come to Thailand to play golf maybe Jack Nicklaus. These two did it for the money not anything to do with showing how safe it is to travel in Thailand. How much security surrounded them again? How stupid do you all think we farongs are anyway to buy in to this BS? They came, they played, they left. Two million buys a lot of BS here.

As post #45 indicated ...... When foreign golfers come to play in the Thailand open do you all castigate them?

This is no different from the US paying Tiger Woods to appear at an event.

But just because it's Thailand , their are the whingers. Of coarse it's a PR stunt .. who the faq cares what it's for !!!!!!

GET OVER IT FOLKS ! .... This government is running the country and that's it. They are there to stay so get over it !! And quite frankly, he is doing a damn site better job than his controversial predecessors. Somehow I just can't image Yingluck on the podium at the UNGA, at the Paragon maybe... but not the UN. gigglem.gif

Edited by steven100

At least the two don't have to worry about saying the right things or indeed even saying anything at all because if necessary statements will be issued on their behalf without even a ' by your leave '.

Indeed, I await with bated breath reports that they "Understand and support the Prime Minister in his efforts to restore happiness to Thailand"". One in the eye for Obama eh?

I have to say that although I don't follow professional tennis (well not since Anna Kournikova played Venus Williams at Wimbledon in 1998 - I was seriously disturbed and had to lie down in a darkened room for several hours after watching that!), but it does seem an obscene amount of money to pay for what is effectively a hi - so photo op!

Given the checkered histories of both of these tennis stars respective home countries, one would assume that they would be a little bit more politically savvy/astute?

Appearing to support a Military Junta can damage their "brand".

I'm half-expecting them to go on to the DPRK, where they will allow that country's deal leader to beat them in a tennis match, for a bucket-load of cash?

Edited by bamnutsak

Dont really think Djokovic and Nadal deserve any respect for this - seems like somebody cant get enough Money and will sell their soul for anything ... This arrangement stinks ... bah.gif

Agreed. 'Prostitutes' was my first thought.

Yawn... for the umpteenth time...

3rd paragraph from the bottom; "minorities" = elite (glad you now realise this), and "can vote us out" (can't do that now at this present moment in time).

Your vitriol towards all things Red Shirt aka Shinawatras does not take into account the considerably worse plundering of this wonderful country for the 60 odd years prior. Read some books, catch up on history, it's all out there, but not in Thai bookshops...

I think tennis starts with the serve. The general(an Ace) of course is an expert at the serve. We all see daily what he is serving up. Democracy is definitely getting a "back hand" here. We have all seen the good generals "approach shot" sugar coating the bad to make it taste sweet. There is also a lot of "jamming" going on especially with regard to the internet. We are getting a lot of "love lobs" from the general who in turn wants us to love him in return. Why would we? still looking for an answer on that one. We seem to be constantly in "no mans land" here. Most of his comments seem to be "over head" shots which leave me completely baffled but then I am not Thai. We are constantly exposed to a "service volley" from him or his minions on different minor issues that he seems to want to "qualify" as major. He has "pre qualified" himself to be PM and also the "judge" who stated enough was enough thanks to Suthep and his rag tag army of dissenters who caused most of the problems towards the end.

The players were outfitted in traditional silk jackets in colors of respect for the country's monarchy.

Silk is one of the cruelest fabrics! (about 10,000 silk worms are killed for every kilogram of silk).

so if any people that care for animals had to meet any important people in Thailand, are they forced to wear silk ? (its worse than fur or leather!!)

around 1 or 2 TRILLION silk worms are killed each year for silk production.

(if you are type of person that cares for animals, then give up Silk).

Edited by easybullet3

As post #45 indicated ...... When foreign golfers come to play in the Thailand open do you all castigate them?

But just because it's Thailand , their are the whingers. Of coarse it's a PR stunt .. who the faq cares what it's for !!!!!!

GET OVER IT FOLKS ! .... This government is running the country and that's it. They are there to stay so get over it !! And quite frankly, he is doing a damn site better job than his controversial predecessors. Somehow I just can't image Yingluck on the podium at the UNGA, at the Paragon maybe... but not the UN. gigglem.gif

Well, that explains the traffic yesterday around downtown which was horrible all day ..

Last night. Traffic was horrific. Hours to go 1 km anywhere along Sukumvit from Thonglor out to Bangna. Same with all the major roads - Prakanong, Ekamai, Thonglor, etc. along this direction.

The rain had its effect, but this stuff explains a lot.

Even 2 million Euro each is a lot of money for the best tennis players in the world , I think they need to play tennis on tours for 6 months to earn that much money . 500000 should have been enough .

Edited by balo

I would hope that I, in their place, would turn down being used as pawns by a Military Junta but maybe that sort of money (120 million baht) would make any of us turn a blind eye to principals

but isn't paying them millions for a game of tennis a 'populist' policy? either way what a WASTE of public resources for the sake of 'face' and it has certainly put me off those two as well

Dont really think Djokovic and Nadal deserve any respect for this - seems like somebody cant get enough Money and will sell their soul for anything ... This arrangement stinks ... bah.gif

Agreed. 'Prostitutes' was my first thought.

A waste of money and another lime light opportunity.

The thai people need more important issues addressed and no one cares about tennis in USA, OZ and UK its not the tourist dollar in Thai.. The people that come here are footy and woman and holiday family people.

Although the lack of love for them through immigaration has spread globaly. Unlike Thais we are free to talk out loud :)

The corruption that has allowed to be issued upon visitors and the police has also hurt you all. Tennis players no one gives a toss

You should have spent the money on improving your employees and teaching them to be human beings and respect visitors