Thai Police

Saendaeng

Yesterday i was driving in Korat.
Saw the police. And wanted to test them
In a cross section with redlight and 2 police officers watching i did a test.
I simply drove over for red light while looking at me. They had a police car and a bike.
They did absolutely nothing about. I would actually gladly pay the bill. If they had stopped me.

This only confirms me, when we talk about traffic and the laws in Thailand.
It all starts with the police. If we want better quality for driving here. Then!

Police need to do their job.
B active and not only in certain times. Also when it rains.
Drive arround and stop people when they do wrong.
Start use discovered police cars.

If they start fo there job and give a damn, then it all will change quickly. The work will be spoken arround and people start rspect the police.

I know what i say is easier said than done. And it will probably never happen.

LOL. Entertainment of the Morning. Thank you :)

Overall I agree with you, however I think the problem lies a little bit deeper. I don't think it is fault of the police officers...I think the problem is while ( if ) they receive training. Who trains them to direct the traffic? I have noticed they all have different hand gestures to control traffic which besides being absolutely useless, it can become confusing. Has anybody trained how to control traffic properly?

Oh, and take their whistles away or fill it with water and soap.

I have passed police here driving ~100kmh in a 80 zone. Something I would have never dared in the US or Germany.

"Saw the police. And wanted to test them"

And for my next act.... I'm going to a lady boy massage shop. Ask for a rub & tug. Tell them It wasn't so good & attempt to leave without paying.

Can't wait for post number 7, it should be a doozie.

You purposely drove through a red light, did you not think of the possible accident that you could have caused by doing such an act. You are the one at fault here not the Police

He admits that... so you can jump off that high horse of yours and recognise the message in the OP.... I'm pretty sure the Junction was clearly visible and open, sufficiently enough for the Op to drive through safety without any other traffic around. One of the reasons perhaps why the BiB didn't care.

Many of the issues concerning Thailands traffic are not the laws themselves, which for the most part are perfectly adequate... The major issue is the apathy involved with enforcing those laws.

For what ever reasons, and there may be a multitude of reasons ranging from plain laziness, to the fact that the lower ranks don't ever act independently or proactively for risk of reprimand from a senior.... the BiB in Thailand simply do no act on the laws.

There is no proactive culture in the Thai Police force, everything they do is reactive and for the most part their actions are based around securing monetary income.

Given that their pay is so low its hardly surprising that this is the current 'status quo' in Thailand's police culture.

What is the fix????

- Securing taxes so that the government have a greater budget for the critical Services: Police, Fire and Hospitals (ambulance), Military.

- Increasing BiB salaries and intruding honour (somehow), less incentive for corruption

- Stornger pentalites for those who abuse the system (internal Affairs Police)

- Cut the numbers of the Police force which is somewhat bloated - at the moment its simply job creation on very low salaries (almost social welfare on its own)

Edited by richard_smith237

First i did not do a dangerous drive. No other cars in the light.

I simply tested it.

Do not do it normally.

But anyone in here can count several wrong doings in traffic on just a short distance.

And i of course do not reccomend others to do it.

Have they seen i was a farrang , i was stopped money was exchanged.

I doubt if an farang or half intelligent Thai would disagree that the RTP, in the main, are ineffectual as far as traffic & road safety is concerned.

You don't need to intentionally break the law to prove your point.... it's a common know fact.

Something along the lines of " two wongs don't make a white"

While I don't agree with the OP's actions, running a red light. His motives, as others have discussed, were clearly to gauge the BIB response or lack of. Thailand has a long way to go to get driving standards to anywhere near acceptable levels as can be demonstrated by the fact that Thailand rates second in the most dangerous countries for road fatalities globally (per capita).

For me the thing that sticks out the most are motor bike riders. Yes I've seen plenty of crazy things people in cars, trucks and buses do. However nothing tops the sheer lack of road sense, ignorance of the rules and lack of common sense I see everyday by motor bike riders.

I can be waiting at a set of lights in the middle of Bangkok and watch motor bikes running red lights, travelling the wrong direction, carrying 3 people without helmets, turning into traffic without the slightest glance, riding down the inside of cars next to the curb etc, etc, etc. Not just on the odd occasion, but the majority of lights I am stopped at.

Much stronger education, communication, licensing and enforcement is required along with motivated and proactive police. Unfortunately I am sorry to say, I doubt any of things will happen. At least not in the foreseeable future.

Craighj

You purposely drove through a red light, did you not think of the possible accident that you could have caused by doing such an act. You are the one at fault here not the Police

just when you thought it was safe to go,you got a pillock like that on the road.

He admits that... so you can jump off that high horse of yours and recognise the message in the OP.... I'm pretty sure the Junction was clearly visible and open, sufficiently enough for the Op to drive through safety without any other traffic around. One of the reasons perhaps why the BiB didn't care.

Many of the issues concerning Thailands traffic are not the laws themselves, which for the most part are perfectly adequate... The major issue is the apathy involved with enforcing those laws.

For what ever reasons, and there may be a multitude of reasons ranging from plain laziness, to the fact that the lower ranks don't ever act independently or proactively for risk of reprimand from a senior.... the BiB in Thailand simply do no act on the laws.

There is no proactive culture in the Thai Police force, everything they do is reactive and for the most part their actions are based around securing monetary income.

Given that their pay is so low its hardly surprising that this is the current 'status quo' in Thailand's police culture.

What is the fix????

- Securing taxes so that the government have a greater budget for the critical Services: Police, Fire and Hospitals (ambulance), Military.

- Increasing BiB salaries and intruding honour (somehow), less incentive for corruption

- Cut the numbers of the Police force which is somewhat bloated - at the moment its simply job creation on very low salaries (almost social welfare on its own)

I am not on my high horse, just a poor inocent motorcyclist who has been knocked off his bike previously my some <deleted> jumping a red light

I don't drive but I think the reason they don't stop you all the time, is because If they inforced the law all the time people would learn and not break any traffic laws, then they won't be able to do have there random money making days,

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You don't need to jump red lights to know the police are crap,simply give them a call explaining you need urgent assistance and see what happens.

Failing that nip round the nearest karaoke joint and pull up a chair explaining your woes as you pour them another glass of Hong Thong.

I safely run red lights all the time. I was advised to when I first moved to Thailand. The reasoning is, so you don't get rear-ended by some shmuck.

Kinda brings to mind an old saying.... You don't need a long neck to be a goose !

No more road blocks apparently, so waving through people that have tax, insurance and a driving license but are obviously falling down drunk will be a thing of the past.

I have seen policemen standing in the middle of outrageously dangerous traffic conditions not doing a thing to correct selfish behaviour. I once got out of the car in front of a policeman playing with his iPhone and 'persuaded' a driver to unblock the crossing by driving back 2 metres. In front of the schools? Nothing happens when cars and motor bikes dodge in between a line of kids crossing that should be learning traffic sense. A policeman kicked my car when I hesitated to move over to the left when a truck was coming up on that side. They can be quite active when they feel like it.

And so on and on. Never mind, you get used to it.

What is the fix????

BS of the highest order