Por Pat Hospital in Korat

maphraw

I have to choose between two hospitals for my Thai health insurance, one a government hospital in Buriram and the other choice is Por Pat Hospital in Korat, which is private hospital. I rightly or wrongly assume that a private hospital would be preferable to a government hospital. At least that has been my experience. Has anyone had any experience with Por Pat Hospital. I can't find much info about the hospital. Thanks

My wife's mother has recently had a long stay in Buriram Govt hospital. I personally would pick anywhere other than that hospital even though I know nothing of Por Pat Korat (despite living there).

Having said that; Buriram hospital is having a lot of new buildings and infrastructure so in a couple of years it may be very good.

Actually government hospitals are likely to be better staffed and equipped than private in smaller cities (and even in some larger cities). But have no personal knowledge of either place.

Strongly agree.

Small private upcountry hospitals are definitely to be avoided.

Even larger private hospitals that are part of "name brand" chains are often better skipped, upcountry they do not have anywhere near the expertise of their main affiliates in Bangkok.

If by government hospital in Buriram you mean the main provinicial hospital in the provincial town, it is a Regional facility and by far the best choice. If the insurance you refer to is Thai Social Security, it will cover a hong piset (special room) thereby avoiding the discomforts of the crowded wards.

​Thanks for your advice and comments everyone.My Thai health insurance is a continuation of the same government health insurance that I had when I was working for a Thai company. A small portion of my monthly salary was deducted. It was great coverage. I resigned from the company and one of the people in human resources said I could continue the with the same government insurance. All I had to do was go to the local social security office with a few papers she provided me with. I chose the government hospital that I wanted to use and they signed me up. I gave them my bank saving account number and they told me they would deduct about 450 a month from my bank account for complete coverage. 'Covered until you die', the government official proudly claimed. I then moved to another province and was able to keep my insurance policy and was given a choice of three hospitals to choose from. All very easily done with the help of cheerful government social security staff. Kind of beats Obama Care I guess. US hospitals, of course, are probably considerably more reliable and thorough.

Archived