Change from marriage to retirement extension

I have used marriage extension for the last 4 year, but want to change to retirement stay, i have combined income and funds in bank to meet the 800K THB requirement. My marriage extension end 30 october. Is i done with TM 86 or TM 87 or ?

Imm. office are Chonburi Immigration at Jomtien

Please help

You just use the same TM.7 form you used for marriage extensions - they may want wife to sign her understanding of the change first time you do this however (they did when I changed a decade ago - justification being joint property marriage laws).

Based on personal experience I would think twice about changing a visa that is already up and running. Yes in theory it is much better and easier to have a retirement visa but that doesn't always pan out in Thailand, I suppose it depends on the immigration office where you apply.

For instance they may do a thorough check on income. Or get intrusive as to why you want to change. Depends on the officer.

Based on personal experience I would think twice about changing a visa that is already up and running. Yes in theory it is much better and easier to have a retirement visa but that doesn't always pan out in Thailand, I suppose it depends on the immigration office where you apply.

For instance they may do a thorough check on income. Or get intrusive as to why you want to change. Depends on the officer.

A "scaremongering" post.

The OP does not have a visa.

The immigration officers very often prefer people who can to opt for an "Extension of Stay based on Retirement" because the process is easier and the decision is a local one.

Agree.

Further, I would suggest that the OP is not 'changing'.

He currently has an extension of stay based on marriage. Before the expiry of that permission he will apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement.

The only caveat against the 'local decision' comment is the fact the likes of Kap Choeng Immigration are putting retirement applications "under consideration". Some have suggested that this is because the decision making process has been taken away from them.

What was your "personal experience" that leads to you saying this I wonder? If you qualify for retirement, which is age and financials, immigration will much prefer retirement extensions of stay as it becomes a local decision rather than something that must be justified to higher levels with added chance for errors.

What was your "personal experience" that leads to you saying this I wonder? If you qualify for retirement, which is age and financials, immigration will much prefer retirement extensions of stay as it becomes a local decision rather than something that must be justified to higher levels with added chance for errors.

In theory yes it is better.

I have been in thailand for 11 years, on various visas initially without hassle and for quite a while. 2 years ago I was advised to change to the putative retirement visa from the commonly called marriage visa, at Bangkok office, for ease of application and sure enough it worked well. But on renewal I received a torrid time, and when I moved to Surat Thani there was rather an unhealthy interest in my marriage, probably due to those local factors you describe. It means they can also go to town on financial requirements, as you say they have more leeway to do what they want because it is a local decision. It becomes a bit of a lottery depending on the office, and the officer.

My advice is simply if it aint broken don't fix it. Even simple things like a change of address can incur much stress these days.

A "scaremongering" post.

The OP does not have a visa.

The immigration officers very often prefer people who can to opt for an "Extension of Stay based on Retirement" because the process is easier and the decision is a local one.

This is not a scaremongering post. The trouble is if anyone presents anything different to what you believe you do all you can to deride the person or posting.

No problem for me @ Korat & Kap Choeng offices. I've gone from an extension based on retirement to one based on marriage then back to retirement then back to my current permission to stay based on marriage....

Edited by mxyzptlk

No problem for me @ Korat & Kap Choeng offices. I've gone from an extension based on retirement to one based on marriage then back to retirement then back to my current permission to stay based on marriage....

That's historic. You see things seem to be changing, so you can't really rely on what happened previously to predict for the future. But I do think that we are talking about small incidents that only seem to effect some people.

What raised my flag is that retirees who are married seem to be coming under the most scrutiny.

So my thought is that what seems like a good idea for OP might not be, eg, last renewal of my extension based on retirement I had to jump through the hops a bit, provide a map, wife had to be present, and we were put through some absurd notification of residence process that had to be done online. It ended with us both having to be in the office having a pic taken together grinning happily.

So my advice to OP is 'stick' with the hand you have got. Why 'twist' ?

• Like 2

I have been in thailand for 11 years, on various visas initially without hassle and for quite a while. 2 years ago I was advised to change to the putative retirement visa from the commonly called marriage visa, at Bangkok office, for ease of application and sure enough it worked well. But on renewal I received a torrid time, and when I moved to Surat Thani there was rather an unhealthy interest in my marriage, probably due to those local factors you describe. It means they can also go to town on financial requirements, as you say they have more leeway to do what they want because it is a local decision. It becomes a bit of a lottery depending on the office, and the officer.

My advice is simply if it aint broken don't fix it. Even simple things like a change of address can incur much stress these days.

The problem you had was not because of the type of extension you had. It was using a different office. You went from one that does not require firm proof of residence to one that does.

There are reasons why someone might wish to change from an extension based on marriage to one based on retirement apart from qualifying age.

In principle, if the marriage is working, i would agree, why change? However, not all relationships work out.

Not saying this is the reason for the OP to want to change, but certainly possible.

• Like 2

I bet you used to be indecisive D !! biggrin.png

• Like 2

There are reasons why someone might wish to change from an extension based on marriage to one based on retirement apart from qualifying age.

In principle, if the marriage is working, i would agree, why change? However, not all relationships work out.

Not saying this is the reason for the OP to want to change, but certainly possible.

Well obviously if there are material differences, then it is a no brainer, but the most common reason is the belief it will be easier.

The problem you had was not because of the type of extension you had. It was using a different office. You went from one that does not require firm proof of residence to one that does.

Not just me though, and not just residence issues, and doesn't explain hostile treatment in Bangkok. The problem, if there is one, seems to be that officers have greater latitude to interpret rules and this can benefit some but be detrimental to others.

It seems to be about the regional office really.

In the main I think someone using a reasonable office is unlikely to counter any problem though and the retirement process can be done in a jiffy.

I have been in Thailand for 20 years and for the first 10 I was on the marriage extension. The Udornthani immigration office, which I have always found to be helpful and considerate, asked me if I wanted to change to retirement since my funds had became adequate. Only one set of of documents were required but that changed as of the coup last year. Although decision was still local I was told that BKK also wanted copies and as of early this year all documents had to duplicated. However I had no problems and was processed without hassle. Having said all that, I understand that there may be further changes but at this point no one knows what those changes will be.

After my wife died in 1995 I changed to retirement visa, but I had to go out of country and get a new Non-Immigrant Type "O". Same as the old one, but they said I needed a new one. I went to Penang Island down in Malaysia. Overnight sleeper train to Butterworth Station in Malaysia (take a jacket, the air con is freezing), then some regular transport I don't remember to Penang. I stayed at a real low-class hotel, they had the forms and got the visa for me in one day. I've never even been to the consulate there.

• Like 1

At the Butterworth train station there is a connecting walkway to the ferry to Georgetown on Penang so expect that is what you did. But no new visa entry is required to change from marriage extension to retirement if marriage has not ended.

Sometimes with the best intentions in the world by posters answering your question on here you can feel like your going round and round in ever widening circles and not getting what you hoped for the answer is there but it's bloody hard finding it hidden in the retoric of visa or extension or marriage no go for retirement. Sometimes you are better of just going for what you want at immigration and see how things pan out. Unless ubonjoe answers then that's the honey post and act on that IMHO of course. Tin hat on waiting for incoming

Edited by Sutty

Sometimes with the best intentions in the world by posters answering your question on here you can feel like your going round and round in ever widening circles and not getting what you hoped for the answer is there but it's bloody hard finding it hidden in the retoric of visa or extension or marriage no go for retirement. Sometimes you are better of just going for what you want at immigration and see how things pan out. Unless ubonjoe answers then that's the honey post and act on that IMHO of course. Tin hat on waiting for incoming

In this instance it's retirement back to marriage.

I think the poster has simply been advised not to change back to "marriage visa", because for the officers concerned it is much easier to process on the basis of retirement.

My guess would be he has simply misinterpreted this as a refusal.

The marriage extension needs less in the bank but is slightly more hassle than the retirement one.

However, it has the advantage that should a marriage dissolve for any reason, it does not affect your permission to stay status.

They might like a wife to sign so she realises this.

(Gotta look after your own LOL)