Don't update your BBC iPlayer?

phetphet

Hola is a Chrome EXTENSION but the EXECUTABLE is for use with IE

See here... https://hola.org/faq#in_gethola and note that it says:

Which operating systems, browsers and devices can I use Hola on?
Hola may be installed as a browser extension to Chrome (version 22 and up), Firefox (version 23 and up), Opera (version 29.0.1785 and up) on Windows and Mac PCs or as an app on Android or iOS. It is also available as an application (.exe) for Windows (for users that are using Internet Explorer).
So if you wish to download rather than stream media, download the EXE and then use IE just for downloading your programmes to watch later, or carry on using Chrome to stream them ........See what I mean?

Have you actually tried this and got it to work? I couldn't.

I downloaded the Hola for Windows exe file v 1.9.624 which quite clearly states 'supports all browsers'. When you install the application it opens a Chrome window and up popped a list of most used sites in Thailand, the BBC being one of the top. I clicked on the BBC and it went to the BBC website with a little box in the corner saying that I was browsing in the UK. I clicked on Iplayer, selected a programme, and clicked on download. I then got a message to say that an external application was required for this feature and to install the BBC download exe. I already have that exe installed so I was back to the problem I had in the beginning.

It appears that when they say it will work with windows, it will run, but in a Chrome window even if you do not have Chrome installed.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hola may be installed as a browser extension to Chrome (version 22 and up), Firefox (version 23 and up), Opera (version 29.0.1785 and up) on Windows and Mac PCs or as an app on Android or iOS. It is also available as an application (.exe) for Windows (for users that are using Internet Explorer).
So if you wish to download rather than stream media, download the EXE and then use IE just for downloading your programmes to watch later, or carry on using Chrome to stream them ........See what I mean?

I downloaded the Hola for Windows exe file v 1.9.624 which quite clearly states 'supports all browsers'. When you install the application it opens a Chrome window and up popped a list of most used sites in Thailand, the BBC being one of the top. I clicked on the BBC and it went to the BBC website with a little box in the corner saying that I was browsing in the UK. I clicked on Iplayer, selected a programme, and clicked on download. I then got a message to say that an external application was required for this feature and to install the BBC download exe. I already have that exe installed so I was back to the problem I had in the beginning.

It appears that when they say it will work with windows, it will run, but in a Chrome window even if you do not have Chrome installed.

No, i haven't tried it because all this is, for me, theoretical because I'm in UK at present. However, in a similar situation, whilst using Chrome for most things, I also have the need to download audio programmes from Mixcloud and I use a different IE "EXE" for that.

As it happens, despite using Chrome for most things, I use bookmarks to go to my usual sites, but IE is left as the default browser on my system. Chances are you've (sensibly) allowed Chrome to be the default browser om yours.

The critical bit is this: If Chrome is set to be your default browser, any EXE will automatically call Chrome. The workaround takes about 3 seconds - set IE as the default browser, use the exe, then set chrome back as the default browser

Edited by VBF

No, i haven't tried it because all this is, for me, theoretical because I'm in UK at present. However, in a similar situation, whilst using Chrome for most things, I also have the need to download audio programmes from Mixcloud and I use a different IE "EXE" for that.

As it happens, despite using Chrome for most things, I use bookmarks to go to my usual sites, but IE is left as the default browser on my system. Chances are you've (sensibly) allowed Chrome to be the default browser om yours.

The critical bit is this: If Chrome is set to be your default browser, any EXE will automatically call Chrome. The workaround takes about 3 seconds - set IE as the default browser, use the exe, then set chrome back as the default browser

That is not the case, the Hola installation installs another version of Chrome, called Chromium, as opposed to Google Chrome which was already installed. Although Hola initially opens in an IE window, as soon as you load a website it is Chromium that opens.

I just download everything from torrents ,get it the next day ,to much to actually watch,why bother with I player?

Depends what you like to watch.

Torrents are great for most drama series, but many documentary, news and arts programmes are not available on torrents - especially the stuff on BBC Three and Four.

That's one of the reasons I like Expat TV. It has all that BBC stuff, plus ITV, Channels 4, 5 etc. etc. and is very convenient. Most programmes will download in less than 5 mins, whereas BBC iPlayer seems to take ages to download anything. Then I would need an ITV player, and God knows what for channels 4 and 5.

That's one of the reasons I like Expat TV. It has all that BBC stuff, plus ITV, Channels 4, 5 etc. etc. and is very convenient. Most programmes will download in less than 5 mins, whereas BBC iPlayer seems to take ages to download anything. Then I would need an ITV player, and God knows what for channels 4 and 5.

I use Expat TV, a great service but I have not seen any way to download, would appreciate some assistance on that. I tried the recording feature some time ago but found it a bit tedious.

​I've been using BolehVpn for several years now. They are a Malaysian company that punches above their weight-class, often mentioned in "top 5/top 10 best vpn provider"-type articles by Lifehacker, Greycoder etc.

They have released a notice regarding a fix (new server) for the BBC IPlayer problem :

http://bit.ly/1NoQdLY

​One of the reasons they rate so well on the various lists is that they don't keep logs. Those interested in privacy may also like to know that it is possible to fund an account wish a cash bank deposit in Malaysia. That, coupled with webmail address of ones' choosing provides a good degree of anonymity.

​But the main reason I like to recommend BolehVpn is that, whenever I have had a problem, their support people always come through promptly.

Not so common these days to find a service company that knows the importance of customer service.​

They also accept BitCoin and DASH (whatever that is) as forms of payment. They also offer a 1-Day trial Free if you write saying why you want a vpn - just done - will see if they are as good as the hype.

You really really don't need a VPN. Just have a android tv box. I happen to use a Minix x8 or h8 can't remember exactly which, but it's the latest one.

Then just download one app livenow tv.

Thanks.

Just ordered an M8 OTT Android TV box from JSAT.tv in Bangkok.

Have not read all posts, so not sure if this has been said, but I use Kodi, this means you can get access to anything from UK without VPN etc, as long as you have reasonable wi-fi. I can watch live UK or iPlayer at anytime.

You can put Kodi on a pc, or if you wish, as I have , jailbreak an ipad and load it to that.

What adon do u use to get I player working on kodi?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Have not read all posts, so not sure if this has been said, but I use Kodi, this means you can get access to anything from UK without VPN etc, as long as you have reasonable wi-fi. I can watch live UK or iPlayer at anytime.

You can put Kodi on a pc, or if you wish, as I have , jailbreak an ipad and load it to that.

I mentioned in post #22 (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864372-dont-update-your-bbc-iplayer/#entry9987818) that I find this BBC iplayer working well without VPN at the moment.

I mentioned in post #22 (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/864372-dont-update-your-bbc-iplayer/#entry9987818) that I find this BBC iplayer working well without VPN at the moment.

I think he's asking you where to get the iPlayer addon.

Personally I wouldn't bother - the UI is dreadful and it only works when it feels like it.

• 3 months later...

Have you tried Expat Shield? http://expat-shield.en.softonic.com/

This used to work for me (last time i used it was 2013) but it is a VPN so I don't know the current status.

As i'm in the UK, there's little point in my trying it!

A friend in Thailand uses hola on chrome.

Of course iplayer isn't blocking VPNs - maybe it's identified a few datacenters it will reject requests from, but uktvaccess.com is still working here in Pattaya with no trouble.