Middle East peace mediators move to defuse Israeli-Palestinian violence

webfact

Middle East peace mediators move to defuse Israeli-Palestinian violence

606x341_315709.jpg

VIENNA: -- US Secretary of State John Kerry says he is cautiously optimistic but he and other Middle East peace mediators meeting in Vienna on Friday face a tough task in defusing Israeli-Palestinian violence.

Like Kerry, the EU’s top diplomat Federica Mogherini has held talks with Israel’s premier Benjamin Netanyahu.

She said he had made pledges over the flashpoint al-Aqsa mosque compound at the heart of the turmoil.

“We discussed concrete ways to de-escalate the situation on the ground and to guarantee the status quo in the holy sites,” Mogherini told reporters in Berlin.

“I had from him the clear commitment reaffirming that he wants to guarantee the status quo in the holy sites.”

Nine Israelis have been killed in Palestinian stabbings, shootings and vehicle attacks since the start of October.

At least 49 Palestinians, including 25 assailants, among them children, have been killed in attacks and during anti-Israeli protests.

Among the causes of the turmoil is Palestinians’ anger at what they see as Jewish encroachment on the al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem’s Old City, Islam’s holiest site outside Saudi Arabia, which is also revered by Jews as the location of two ancient temples.

Amid more violence on the ground on Thursday, four men appeared in court in connection with the beating of an Eritrean migrant, who was shot by a security guard and attacked by a crowd that mistook him for a gunman.

The man died in the incident last Sunday at a bus station in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-23

the EU’s top diplomat Federica Mogherini has held talks with Israel’s premier Benjamin Netanyahu.

She said he had made pledges over the flashpoint al-Aqsa mosque compound at the heart of the turmoil.

“We discussed concrete ways to de-escalate the situation on the ground and to guarantee the status quo in the holy sites,” Mogherini told reporters in Berlin.

“I had from him the clear commitment reaffirming that he wants to guarantee the status quo in the holy sites.”

While I appreciate and respect the EU diplomats efforts, I believe that she is being naive.

Simply put, history has taught us that if Netanyahu's lips are moving, he's lying

It's true that some of the Palestinian rhetoric is inflammatory, but the Israeil actions are far worse whatever they may say for public consumpetion. You can't make life for the Palestinians a living hell and then act surprised when they react. I've known many Palestinians who were working in the UAE and the burden they have to bear in terms of the treatment of their families would drive anyone to violence.

I had a great deal of sympathy for Israel when they formed their state, especially in the wake of WWII, but their treatment of those in the occupied areas is abysmal and, as Jimmy Carter once said, a new version of Apartheid.

Never Again is a nice slogan, but it needs to be applied to everyone. The victim is morphing into the perpetrator.

Edited by Suradit69

Well we can be assured of a peaceful resolution very quickly...as these same people have been negotiating peace in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, and the Ukraine...and we all know the success they have had there...

The Israelis and Palestinians will never stop the violence...they are sworn enemies...going back for centuries...nothing much has changed...or will change...

If Kerry would be honest in difusing tensions he should reduce the support to Israel. But as we all know that is difficult as the rich Jews in the US call the shots, so here we just have lipservice...blablabla...

Rich Jews, huh? rolleyes.gif Straight from central casting, innit?

Such a sophisticated political analysis you offer.

Edited by Jingthing

This is kind of darkly funny.

Only 4 percent of Israelis think this mission will succeed.

The obvious reaction to that is: that many! w00t.gif

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Only-4-percent-of-Israelis-think-Kerry-Ban-will-bring-calm-429864

The poll found that only 4 percent believe Kerry and Ban’s diplomatic efforts will succeed, while 77% said they would not bear fruit, and the remainder did not know or want to answer.

If Kerry would be honest in difusing tensions he should reduce the support to Israel. But as we all know that is difficult as the rich Jews in the US call the shots, so here we just have lipservice...blablabla...

Next to the 'normal' annual US military aid to Israel of 3.1 billion, they've added an additional 1 billion...in “compensation” for US approval of the Iran nuclear deal remain on hold...

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.681683

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/10/21/us-plans-1-billion-annual-hike-in-israel-military-aid/

Edited by Thorgal

God, how many years has this been going on? Ever since I was a young child and the aftermath of the 1967 war and the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

Talks of peace are like leave blowing in the wind; never still, never able to coalesce. 40+ years: talks of talks of talks of peace. Never to come to fruition.

Well Israel is not at war with Egypt or Jordan.thumbsup.gif So not all bad news over time. Arguably Jordan IS a Palestinian state. How many do they need? The Jewish people only want (and INSIST on) the ONE rather small one. I think that's very reasonable. The Arab and Muslim which dominates so many nations, some very large, apparently doesn't. I think that stinks.

Edited by Jingthing

Next to the 'normal' annual US military aid to Israel of 3.1 billion, they've added an additional 1 billion...in “compensation” for US approval of the Iran nuclear deal remain on hold...

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.681683

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/10/21/us-plans-1-billion-annual-hike-in-israel-military-aid/

You are really going to have a bad day when (as they will) Israel sells Iron Dome to the Saudis and GCC for hundreds of billions of dollars. What you seem unwilling or incapable of recognizing is the huge returns in technology the U.S gets for its support of Israel, whereas money squandered on the Palestinians goes towards propping up an unproductive booming population with corrupt despots siphoning money off the top. Abbas is worth $500 million, Khaled Marshal is worth $2.6 billion.

^^

Ah, it's already news I see.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/10/15/gulf-states-fearing-iran-aggression-ask-israel-iron-dome-defense-shield/

Now let's see, Saudi Arabia and the GCC don't officially recognize Israel yet are prepared to pay them a fortune for Iron Dome. Conclusions? They are going to team up to tackle Iran. With their usual exquisite bad timing Pally terrorists are now bankrolled by Iran. They are going to end up with whatever the Israelis choose to give them and buffoons such as Kerry or the EU leaders are going to sit back and swallow it.

Well Israel is not at war with Egypt or Jordan.thumbsup.gif So not all bad news over time. Arguably Jordan IS a Palestinian state. How many do they need? The Jewish people only want (and INSIST on) the ONE rather small one. I think that's very reasonable. The Arab and Muslim which dominates so many nations, some very large, apparently doesn't. I think that stinks.

The state that the Palestinians want is even smaller...22% of historical Palestine, while invading mainly European Zionists get to keep the remaining 78% as the State of Israel. Sound like the Israelis are being offered a pretty good deal.

Edited by dexterm

Wrong. Jordan was part of the territory meant to be the Jewish homeland. As you well know, the Palestinians ended up with way more territory than the Jews.

I suggest you look at a map. As usual you muddy the timeline and stats by attempting to include land east of the Jordan river.
460px-UN_Palestine_Partition_Versions_19
The proposed Jewish state shaded blue was then 56% of the total Mandated land even though Jews formed only 33% of the population
The Palestinians have compromised enough. they have seen their land diminish from 3% Jewish ownership in 1922 to 100% occupation today.
Since then the Israelis have stolen more land.
Israel now holds more than 78% of the total land proposed in the 1947 Partition Plan from the Mediterranean to the Jordan.
"In 1948 Israel declared its "independence," but chose not to name its borders (Israel may be the only nation in the world with undeclared borders). Following its founding war of 1947-49 Israel came into existence on 78 percent of Palestine, a percentage it has steadily increased in subsequent years, a process that continues today."
Edited by dexterm