Villa Market. Incompetent or underfunded?

DennisF

I buy a number of items from here and spend around 8-9k a month there. Not much but significant if multiplied by many farangs given the issues

I am leaning very heavily to avoiding the place.

I like to buy boxed wines because of their low cost (comparative), ease of transportation and because I dont have to shop so much!

I also like to buy a number of English/American products.

My problem is ( and I am sure many have the same) is that there is no consistency of stocking.

I chose the boxed wine as an example because the particular one I prefer has been out of stock for many months and yet, when it is in stock, it seems to fly out the door, giving excellent returns for the supermarket, I'm sure.

The list, however, encompasses cereals, preserves, flours and a number of other things.

Does anyone else have the same issue with this supermarket?

Questioning the staff brings the inevitable mai roo.

Second point to my post is: Where in Bangkok can I find a good selection of boxed red wines ( preferably Australian or Chilean)

Thanks guys.

For the prices they charge , you think it would have a slightly more efficient management system.

And the training of staff- I stopped buying anything that isn't factory packaged, too many nose pickers and hair fiddlers amongst the staff.

Also don't appreciate the restocking on narrow aisles during opening hours, staff squatting on the floor I phones in hand, hiding from management.

I go for bread, ( and have to go on Saturday only to get the decently priced, low sugared brand before it sells out ,) and plain non sugared yogurt.

VM is not managed by any business person. Or they would see, as you point out, the stock that flys out the door as soon as it hits the shelf. Foodland is slightly better, both in Pattaya. I buy boxes, all they have, of Pistonhead Beer, Voss Water and Marysol Chilean white wine. But they often do not re-stock for a month or more. The staff have no idea and there is no customer feedback mechanism. If they could manage stock better, it would really increase their revenue and profit. The owners obviously don't care. Nice to be in such a position. I have seen this with Cold Storage in Singapore also, not quite as daft, but looking at the variety of what is available in the world from major brands name. Numpties sums it up. Management that is paid for just the bare basics of their jobs.

Iems that say on the label, always refrigerate, in the aisles warm, expired you name it still on the shelves.

Not just Thailand, Western food is expensive here in South East Asia, why they don't educate the staff to treat it for what it costs, corporate ignorance and closed markets. Sure, there are a few expat owned shops. But bet they could not stay open if they brought on a real high end high quality large food market that knows the basics of stock checking and ordering according to sales.

I see Big C making an effort, but it will be short lived. Takes dedication and staying power. That is not a local business ethic in Western food suppliers w/exception of a few small players.

Look at CP foods? Seriously!!

Sorry for the rant, agree with the OP. - Incompetent!

Edited by jmccarty

Thailand has a very antiquated supply-chain system which often results in "out-of-stock" problems. Mom-and-pop stores suffer the most from this, but large box retailers do as well.

7-11 is the only chain retailer whose inventory management system really shines.

Slowly getting better, but a degree of flexibility is needed when grocery shopping in Thailand.

Edited by Gecko123

Story could be from our local Tesco, from Big C Khon Kaen, Tesco Khon Kaen... to be continued wink.png

And even our local Makro makes it possible to have empty shelfs for "my" products.

I remember a lenghty period (last year?) when there was no boxed red wine (the cheap South African stuff) ANYWHERE.

Waiting for the ship...

Doesn't Foodland Soi 5 have a selection?

Its a long time I have been to Bangkok.

Thailand has a very antiquated supply-chain system which often results in "out-of-stock" problems. Mom-and-pop stores suffer the most from this, but large box retailers do as well.

7-11 is the only chain retailer whose inventory management system really shines.

Slowly getting better, but a degree of flexibility is needed when grocery shopping in Thailand.

Disagree entirely.

A degree of flexibility by the consumer means the supermarkets will continue their inefficiency.

The only way forward is to boycott them and buy elsewhere.

Maybe then they will wake up.... maybe

Disagree entirely.

A degree of flexibility by the consumer means the supermarkets will continue their inefficiency.

I see it at Big C, at Foodland, at Tops, Family Markt and 7/11.....so every supermarket hast the same problem.

I see some products will be put in the fridge by staff from the producer (I saw that at some yoghurts). Seems they outsourced that.

from the 3 yoghurts I like are often 3 out of stock, one I didn't even know they stock for a while, because it is rarely there....Sometimes even the Heineken is out of stock.

Frequently the ice.

That is a shame for a chain like 7/11, as the branches could help each other.....If there is no Heineken and the new supply comes in 24 hours, what other than bureaucracy hinders them to take 5 bottles from the next branch which is anyway only 500 meter away.

But there are worse than 7/11...

from the 3 yoghurts I like are often 3 out of stock, one I didn't even know they stock for a while, because it is rarely there....Sometimes even the Heineken is out of stock.

Frequently the ice.

That is a shame for a chain like 7/11, as the branches could help each other.....If there is no Heineken and the new supply comes in 24 hours, what other than bureaucracy hinders them to take 5 bottles from the next branch which is anyway only 500 meter away.

But there are worse than 7/11...

7-11 is a franchise.

If the shop 500m away is out oif stock...som nam na..we can sell to your customer.

7-11 is possibly the most efficient retailer but... thew franchises are real sheeet in the small print... I looked and walked away

I agree with all above, additionally they are cheaters. Fresh items such as fish are after expiry frozen and re-dated. Tops is not bad...

Not good either, in my local branch they have an employee who does just that most days and she is bored of it!

Disagree entirely.

Buy elsewhere - which country would that be? It sure would not be any other outlet in Thailand.

Disagree entirely.

I have tried this over the years. Then you return to the shop the following week and guess what, they have run out too.

It isn't a VM thing it's a Thai thing. The people in the country have no forward planning,

You will then end up going back in VM to see if they have what you are looking for there.

Of course you could try another bottle of wine, you never know it could become your new favourite.

Its a bit like finding a bar of restaurant and it becoming your favourite haunt, and the only reason you ever found it is because you took a wrong turning and got lost.

Disagree entirely.

Buy elsewhere - which country would that be? It sure would not be any other outlet in Thailand.

You miss the point. Buy from another supermarket and if many pepole do the same their takings will decrease.

Ridiculous to bring another country into the equation.

What's the best way to find out whether you live in a "Banana Republic" or not? Answer: If the stores even run out of Bananas occasionally, you know that you live in a "Banana Republic".

Cheers.

Wow, that is so intellectually analised before reaching a less than obvious concluding statement.

Thank you so much for your geniotic contribution.

Disagree entirely.

You miss the point. Buy from another supermarket and if many pepole do the same their takings will decrease.

Ridiculous to bring another country into the equation.

I think it's you who missed the point.

Supermarkets are very limited in Thailand, You have Big C, Tesco, foodland and villa market, with the latter 2 already a presence in limited locations.

So which other supermarket you gonna buy?

I know there is a supply demand problem here so when I see something that is difficult to get regularly I buy most or all of it. My wife is amazed at how much stuff we have stored.

Sounds as if we finally located the problem biggrin.png

Spot on, that busterds probably got my wine, custard powder, syrup and all the other things my larder is missing.

VM is not managed by any business person. Or they would see, as you point out, the stock that flys out the door as soon as it hits the shelf. Foodland is slightly better, both in Pattaya. I buy boxes, all they have, of Pistonhead Beer, Voss Water and Marysol Chilean white wine. But they often do not re-stock for a month or more. The staff have no idea and there is no customer feedback mechanism. If they could manage stock better, it would really increase their revenue and profit. The owners obviously don't care. Nice to be in such a position. I have seen this with Cold Storage in Singapore also, not quite as daft, but looking at the variety of what is available in the world from major brands name. Numpties sums it up. Management that is paid for just the bare basics of their jobs.

Iems that say on the label, always refrigerate, in the aisles warm, expired you name it still on the shelves.

Not just Thailand, Western food is expensive here in South East Asia, why they don't educate the staff to treat it for what it costs, corporate ignorance and closed markets. Sure, there are a few expat owned shops. But bet they could not stay open if they brought on a real high end high quality large food market that knows the basics of stock checking and ordering according to sales.

I see Big C making an effort, but it will be short lived. Takes dedication and staying power. That is not a local business ethic in Western food suppliers w/exception of a few small players.

Look at CP foods? Seriously!!

Sorry for the rant, agree with the OP. - Incompetent!

I stopped going there because that shop ruins my mood. I can't stand the personell doing nothing and not willing to help me in english. And if i speak thai to them they act like i'm crazy and run away.

But if you email them you get reply within a day, try it, maybe it helps.

Also that bread is a few days old......

Edited by Thian

I lived in Spain for many years before LOS and even the best supermarkets there were sporadically stocked. I think it's down to availability to them combined maybe with uncertain shipping times.

Same here as Spain, if I see it I stock up as it might not be there tomorrow.

Story could be from our local Tesco, from Big C Khon Kaen, Tesco Khon Kaen... to be continued wink.png

And even our local Makro makes it possible to have empty shelfs for "my" products.

I remember a lenghty period (last year?) when there was no boxed red wine (the cheap South African stuff) ANYWHERE.

Waiting for the ship...

Doesn't Foodland Soi 5 have a selection?

Its a long time I have been to Bangkok.

I agree that it could be a problem at any of them, but I do agree with the OP that the biggest problem is Villa. Their entire marketing program is to keep moving shelves around, so you have to walk every aisle to find the item you always buy. This leaves no time to stock the shelves. They are a disgrace. On the other hand, Friendship in Pattaya could not be more pleasant. Always on top of things.

Agree with all the sentiments in this thread. It is often frustrating shopping around here. But its not just supermarkets. How often have we gone to other stores / restaurants and heard the inevitable "mai mee"?

At my office there is a little refridgerator with cup ice creams. They buy stock only in sets, of all the flavors. People only want to buy two or three of the flavors. So everytime its stocked up, those flavors sell out in two or three days then we all have to wait three or four weeks until enough desperate souls pass by to buy up the rest before a new batch is ordered. This problem is supply chain / ineptitude / stubbornness to change. I don't buy ice cream from them anymore bc i got sick of the crapshoot on whether or not they'll have any. Look forward for a nice dessert after lunch just to be disappointed. Other colleagues, the same. But the vendor doesn't know / care.

So many Thai companies could be making much more money if they would just get their ass in gear.

You have to spend money to make money. You can't sell things you don't have in stock.

Edited by taony

I lived in Spain for many years before LOS and even the best supermarkets there were sporadically stocked. I think it's down to availability to them combined maybe with uncertain shipping times.

Same here as Spain, if I see it I stock up as it might not be there tomorrow.

I too lived in Spain fore many years ( Banus area) and there was a sporadic stocking issue sure, but not to the same extent we have here, I dont think.

I guess its jai yen and sabai!!

Will look for nearest Foodland to Lad Krabang and hope!