US: Dog called trigger shoots owner in the foot

webfact

Dog Called Trigger Shoots Owner In The Foot

The 11-year-old chocolate Labrador set off the 12-gauge shotgun after stepping on the weapon as it lay on the ground.

A dog called Trigger shot his 25-year-old owner in the foot while they were out hunting.

Allie Carter, of Avilla, in Indiana, was wounded after her 11-year-old chocolate Labrador stepped on the 12-gauge shotgun she had laid on the ground, pressing the trigger.

Indiana conservation officer Jonathon Boyd said the gun went off as the safety catch had not been on at the time.

Ms Carter, who had not undertaken a hunter education course, needed hospital treatment for her injured left foot but was later discharged.

Full story: http://news.sky.com/story/1576682/dog-called-trigger-shoots-owner-in-the-foot

-- skyNEWS 2015-10-27

The description of events suggests she actually laid her shotgun down on the deck of the blind?

And did not have the safety on?

They are lucky all that happened was a damaged foot.

That poor dog looks like it knows it did wrong...poor guy.

Edited by ClutchClark

and the NRA apologists will be along to say that "Guns don't kill people, People kill people" ...... oh wait.....

"Ms Carter, who had not undertaken a hunter education course," and had he taken the NRA hunter course like I as it is required to get a hunting lic. or purchase ammo then he would have never put a loaded gun on the ground. Yes - morons shoot people not guns. Why the hell would he even have one in the chamber if it was not in his hands under complete control - almost the vary first thing you learn.

I have a six shooter - but I only carry 5 rounds in it. The hammer is down and safety is on over an empty chamber - even cowboys in the old west did that - it called not being a <deleted> moron..

edit ah I see Ms Carter OK she is a complete moron.

Yes a complete moron who is legally entitled to own a gun.

For me, Trigger will always be the name of a horse. Hy-Yo! Silver! Away!

Close but no cigar.

The Lone Ranger's horse was called Silver.

Roy Rodgers horse was called Trigger.

Blame that information on me going to Saturday cinema matinees as a young lad.

never seen a shotgun with a safty. shotguns will only fire if the hammer is locked back. they don't operate like a pistol.

When was the last time you hunted wih a shotgun? 1850 ?

;-)

Edit: because my post will be visited by NeverSure I want to make it clear that 1850 was simply a year I chose for comical affect and not because it is specific to when safetys were originated. A quick guess would be Browning probably designed one of the first Shotguns with a safety.

Edited by ClutchClark

never seen a shotgun with a safty. shotguns will only fire if the hammer is locked back. they don't operate like a pistol.

It's tough shooting Ducks, Quail, Geese etc with a rifle...

It's tough shooting Ducks, Quail, Geese etc with a rifle...

Its also a violation of federal law ;-) atleast for the waterfowl you mentioned.

I was trying to let the earlier poster know that shotguns have had safety devices for 100 years.

Its all in good fun. I just feel sorry for the dog.