Road Islands (Round abouts)

TommyUK1960

First come, first serve.

No rules.

Try driving round the one (1/2 roundabout) in Pattaya Nua. Complete chaos sometimes, especially when cars come from the soi next to the Dusit and drive against the traffic to get to beach road.

Edited by petedk

When Mrs JAS came to live in the UK ... wow ... was the way she attacked her first roundabout an experience! Her future driving instructor was with us facepalm.gif Anyway 6 lessons later and she had a UK License thumbsup.gif .

Yep, roundabouts are an experience here. I find in general that Thai drivers are a little apprehensive of them so I'm usually not held up too long whistling.gif bad me smile.png

I have seen and heard a number of references to Thai law stating one has to give way to the left, one source was a Thai policeman who seemed to be impressed with how clever Thai lawmakers are.

Despite that, I prefer to do things properly so don't usually pay much attention to the BS masquerading as 'law' here.

I was wondering the same thing - as I couldn't figure out the rules from observation.

Last week I renewed my 5 year Thai driving licenses and after the eye and reaction tests I had to sit through a one hour training video (in Thai).

I watched the section on roundabouts closely to try and understand the rules - but nope ........ no clearer.

Something about the traffic on the roundabout giving way to traffic from main roads but not traffic from smaller roads ...... perhaps?

There is a white line on the road indicating that oncoming vehicles do not have the right of way. The magnificent, very well planned elephant roundabout in Buriram had to have traffic lights to make it work. (recently).

The problem is not the Thai drivers, it is the lack of public education on TV. I see every day clips of villagers complaining about bad roads but I never saw any complaining about badly designed roads. The activities of the road safety council or whatever it is called seem to be confined to exhorting the cops to increase vigilance every Song Kran and new Year.

I have only seen one Thai road safety video since I got here, and it was never ot TV.

Just for completeness:

On junctions without any other signs/rules (major/minor road, lines on the road etc.): left before right.

When entering roundabouts: right before left or say who is in the circle has the right of way.

This is not so different from rules in other countries.

You could also translate as first come, first serve.

Who is in the circle (already) has the right of way compared to those who want to enter the circle.

Indeed I don't remember a question about the roundabouts in the theory test (for foreigners).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Just for completeness:

On junctions without any other signs/rules (major/minor road, lines on the road etc.): left before right.

When entering roundabouts: right before left or say who is in the circle has the right of way.

Who is in the circle (already) has the right of way compared to those who want to enter the circle.

Indeed I don't remember a question about the roundabouts in the theory test (for foreigners).

It would actually help if there were give-way signs on the roads leading onto the roundabouts. Most drivers just fly straight onto them (presumably treating them like an intersection. In Australia, we give way to the right (which also means giving way to traffic on the roundabout too. But do Thais give way to the left? Which is counter-intuitive. In the US, does one give way to the left or right? I wonder if Thailand borrowed some traffic rules from countries that drive on the right and not the left.

As Thailand drives on the left the same as the UK the rules should be the same but, as stated people do as they like. If they did follow the rules, then any vehicle presently in the round about have the right of way and approaching vehicles have to give way. The problem here is the lack of law enforcement and actual fines that hurt someones pocket. I just read about the van driver who crashed and 4 people died in his van. What did his company get fined??? 7,000 baht............<deleted>??? There should have been a prison sentence, a life-time ban from driving for the driver and a much higher fine. LOS = Let off specially, only if you are Thai!

Land Traffic Act says " ... at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right ...". Therefore, traffic already on the roundabout has priority over those wanting to enter, just as UK.

See attachment, Section 73, Page 12.

Thai Traffic Laws.pdf

Of course, as has already been said, that's the LAW but practices are usually entirely different.

There is a white line on the road indicating that oncoming vehicles do not have the right of way. The magnificent, very well planned elephant roundabout in Buriram had to have traffic lights to make it work. (recently).

The problem is not the Thai drivers, it is the lack of public education on TV. I see every day clips of villagers complaining about bad roads but I never saw any complaining about badly designed roads. The activities of the road safety council or whatever it is called seem to be confined to exhorting the cops to increase vigilance every Song Kran and new Year.

I have only seen one Thai road safety video since I got here, and it was never ot TV.

I live near the Elephant Roundabout in Buriram, greatly increased traffic congestion since the traffic lights were added and still no one has a clue - starting from the Right Hand lane to turn next left etc. As far as I can see all they have managed to do is make everyone wait for 3 cycles of lights. I use to walk the dog (carefully) across the main road but can not now as the 2 lane road has now been turned into a 3 lanes by the impatient drivers!

Different towns have different attitudes to circles. I usually keep going albeit slowly regardless. It usually works as the local drivers, apart from the professionals in buses and trucks are apprehensive. As someone else said "He who dares wins"

Sent from my LG-H324 using Tapatalk

Yield to the right also means if you're in the inner lane and want to turn left out of the circle, the vehicle in the outer lane has to yield to you.

About the only time I curse in a roundabout is when someone already in stops to yield to someone who wants to come in. That's not the way it's supposed to work. Oops, the other time I curse is when a traffic cop is directing traffic in a roundabout.

Does anybody have an English version of a Thai Driver's manual? Is there such a thing? Even here in the USA each state has its own motor vehicle department, and each State has their own rules publication. It would be nice if somebody can post or send a link to one from Thailand. I suspect they might do it by province? Not at all?

Just for completeness:

Yes, somebody gave the correct answer. Thanks.

The one with the most nerve goes. We all have had our frustrations with stupid roundabouts. Years ago I had an old Suzuki jeep. It had big pipe bumpers front and rear. That made it much easier for me. No one tried to bully me when driving that vehicle. LOL!

Some people are just bad drivers. Recently I was waiting to get into the inner circle. A farang already in the circle slammed on his brakes and stopped. He sat there blowing his horn apparently warning me that he wasn't going to let me in. It wasn't until I put my window down and waved him on that he went.

Few years ago they made a new ring road west of BKK, and added a round-a-bout, what a mess most made of it, so in there wisdom they then added traffic lights, did not help a lot, as with many traffic lights it is not always easy to understand which one = go.. just bad placed poles, anyway did not help......... they then took a year or 2 to dig a underpass..

Second Road in Jomtien has had more than its share of accidents, some fatal. At the major intersection on that road they have built a roundabout. Jomtien drivers have no idea how to navigate that ill thought out mess. It has considerably slowed traffic because the drivers are confused. That is the place I previously posted about the stupid farang driver who simply stopped and continuously honked his horn.

Second Road in Jomtien has had more than its share of accidents, some fatal. At the major intersection on that road they have built a roundabout. Jomtien drivers have no idea how to navigate that ill thought out mess. It has considerably slowed traffic because the drivers are confused. That is the place I previously posted about the stupid farang driver who simply stopped and continuously honked his horn.

I use this roundabout regularly and what is amazing it is well marked out yet drivers still have no clue how to use it. Maybe Thailand should just get rid of roundabouts.

I use this roundabout regularly and what is amazing it is well marked out yet drivers still have no clue how to use it. Maybe Thailand should just get rid of roundabouts.

Or have a real driving test and a real police force..?