Cooking oils and health ... I'm still confused

Jingthing

I believe 100 % in Mediterranean Diet, which include pure olive oil. I use extra virgin for cook and for salad. the properties and the taste of olive oil are incoparables. Do not use refined oils. Dangerous the food in most of thai restaurants , who often heated repeatedly refined oil, resulting in a carcinogenic product. I Speak knowingly , again, nothing comparable to olive oil , believing in the health's benefits, like control cholesterol, prevention of diseases and ultimately helps longevity. No matter the price, the quality of a product that is consumed daily.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love olive oil too and don't see giving that up for the food that works in.

But it doesn't work for Asian food and to not eat out in Thailand seems severe.

Cooking more meals at home where you have CONTROL over what's in it is of course desirable.

I have gone to Rice Bran oil for all my oily needs. I use it for stir fry dishes and also use it for my salad dressings,

It also goes well after a shave. I rub it onto the skin and leave it for 15 minutes. Smooth and soft.

Rice bran oil for cooking and Olive oil for cold dishes, salads, etc.

Cooking more meals at home where you have CONTROL over what's in it is of course desirable.

Often I cook Asian food (Japanese, Indian or Thai) like Khao Pad , except the asian food with coconut oil like Khao soi, the result is delicious with olive oil . But maybe it's just a personal opinion.

Did you actually read that? There is exactly zero substance in the articles.

I think olive oil fits well with Asian food....it changes the taste, but it fits for me.

The chart you posted above seems to treat rice bran oil as being a neutral oil in terms of health but suited for stir frying, while the article/research quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald above takes aim at sunflower and corn oil as being bad, but makes no mention of rice bran oil.

We've been stir frying at home here with rice bran oil as the best available choice -- until/unless someone points me to a healthier, commonly available oil choice here in Thailand suited for stir frying. Peanut oil also is supposedly good in terms of being suited to high heat and not bad in terms of health.

I believe 100 % in Mediterranean Diet, which include pure olive oil. I use extra virgin for cook and for salad. the properties and the taste of olive oil are incoparables. Do not use refined oils. Dangerous the food in most of thai restaurants , who often heated repeatedly refined oil, resulting in a carcinogenic product. I Speak knowingly , again, nothing comparable to olive oil , believing in the health's benefits, like control cholesterol, prevention of diseases and ultimately helps longevity. No matter the price, the quality of a product that is consumed daily.

But AFAIK, olive oil, for all its good properties, is not suited for frying at high heat levels.

I only buy extra virgin olive oil. Can't imagine stir frying that. Anyway I am really happy with my "discovery" of rice bran oil. I think peanut oil is widely used at US Chinese restaurants. Haven't really thought about using it here.

I do use my virgin olive oil to fry some western dishes but use low heat. I love it.

Edited by Jingthing

And what kind of cheap unhealthy oil is used in the Thai street kitchen ?

I think no exist unhealthy oils, only they no have the properties and health benefits than Olive, the problem in the street, is the time they use the same oil for frying or cook.

But AFAIK, olive oil, for all its good properties, is not suited for frying at high heat levels.

RIGHT!

I recommend spending some time on any Paleo website for clarity on this issue. Not saying you need to follow the diet/lifestyle just good info on those sites.

Correct me if I'm historically wrong, but I don't think oils were available to Paleolithic humans, ergo this is yet another (internet profiteering) fad, and for that reason any 'advice' there is best avoided. I have seen zero independent research promoting what is basically a cave-man diet in the 21st Century (would one recommend Paleo medicines, and witchdoctor spells, for example?).

Whereas the Mediterranean diet, olive oil (and cheese!) is contemporary and has both science, and a legion of ancient but healthy Mediterranean folks to back it up, even then, THEY have used the diet their entire lives, and are not exactly couch potatoes, so I doubt if a McD muncher who switches mid-life will achieve stellar results, but who knows?

Coconut oil may be great for a lot of applications, but unless you're cooking tropical foods or desserts, I doubt you'd want your omelette to taste of Coconut!

Palm oil should be discontinued, the environmental cost outweighs the cost-benefit of the food chain.

I'm using Canolas/Sunflower, Butter, Olives, and Coconut depending on the dish.

Moderation is the key, using any one particular oil is not going to be a miracle heart medicine in dietary terms IMO.

Whatever you do, avoid reusing oil, the chemical processes that occur in heating and re-heating, make it very bad for you, and another thing to be wary of at extremely cheap food stalls.

Rice bran oil is still polyunsaturated so very bad for you in terms of chronic inflammation. I stick with Olive, coconut and lots of butter. I don't deep fry anything. for anything high temp I would go with butter. If I could get some good unrefined palm oil I would use that as well. Its mostly saturated oil,

RIGHT!

The heat tolerance of any oil is called the 'smoke point' google for more info, there are formulas out there for mixing oils to achieve high temperature cooking, without compromising flavour and increasing the smoke point of the more delicate and or desired oils.

Many US grocery lines will include Corn Syrup and/or Hydrogenated oils, the syrup is a cheap and nasty sweetener, and the hydrogenation process preserves the shelf life of baked and fried stuff.

There is no need to look any further than the obese poor of American cities to see how these two particular food ingredients have failed to 'love back' the people that love them.

To put it more lyrically; never love a food that doesn't love you back!

I like olive oil for its nutty flavour….but there are some real scams going on….many oil labels are suspected to lie about the content and origin of their olive oil on their labels…e.g. bertolli.

Also use virgin unrefined coconut oil and mustard oil sometimes for fish dishes. Sesame oil is great too, for dressings

what is wrong with bertolli? Actually this is the brand I always buy.....thought it is italian so it is good....

If you really want the lowdown on this try and read Extra Virginity - The sublime and scandalous world of extra virgin olive oil by Tom Mueller.

This link is also interesting….the point is where there is smoke there is usually fire.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-extravirgin-olive-oil-fake/

Even The New Yorker carried an article decrying the scams in the olive oil business…they would not run a story that did not check out.

Plus Bertolli is a Unilever brand…nuff said.

I was a personal trainer in my previous life lol. But seriously, let me explain how to cook with oils.

If you must fry with oils then what you're looking for is an oil that has a high burning point, and coconut oil wins hands down no doubt. Olive oil is good too, but it's really expensive here. Peanut oil is another suggestion since it has a high burning point but coconut will not burn, meaning the structure of the oil will change the least when it comes in contact with heat. Also be advised that there are certain cooking temperatures that are optimal when cooking as too low will make the food really greasy.

For healthy ppl, coconut oil is superior, especially in it's raw form, as back home we were made to believe it was the plague but this was conjured up by the lobbyists, same with eggs.

If someone does have high cholesterol, speak to a licensed nutritionist or a doctor that specializes in this subject on ones own situation, as the consumption of higher saturated fats from coconuts will not harm the healthy.

I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I am aware of what constitutes healthy eating.

Food for thought.

For some reason I cannot edit my post. I wanted to elaborate that Olive oil is decent for pan fry but I'd pass on deep frying. It's just a personal choice.

Also it was mentioned that palm oil is used in Thai restaurants, but also on the streets and where I used to eat, they used soy oil. I know, I used to buy it for them.

This oil is one that should be avoided even in it's uncooked state due to it's properties associated with estrogen, which is a blaring fact.

I like olive oil for its nutty flavour.but there are some real scams going on.many oil labels are suspected to lie about the content and origin of their olive oil on their labelse.g. bertolli.

Also use virgin unrefined coconut oil and mustard oil sometimes for fish dishes. Sesame oil is great too, for dressings

Ive heard that before about Bertolli so I changed to Sabroso. However neither of them pass the fridge test. Good olive oil should emulsify in the fridge.

The chart you posted above seems to treat rice bran oil as being a neutral oil in terms of health but suited for stir frying, while the article/research quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald above takes aim at sunflower and corn oil as being bad, but makes no mention of rice bran oil.

We've been stir frying at home here with rice bran oil as the best available choice -- until/unless someone points me to a healthier, commonly available oil choice here in Thailand suited for stir frying. Peanut oil also is supposedly good in terms of being suited to high heat and not bad in terms of health.

I would recommend peanut oil perhaps for stir frying. I think the Chinese use this.

I don't stir fry anything or eat any deep fried food at all.

I do pan fry steaks in olive oil or coconut oil but that is it.

I do recommend taking a tablespoon a day of cold pressed organic flaxseed oil.

Yes, but I don't understand why that's a problem.

Anyway, in real life, eating in restaurants I wouldn't only be getting rice bran oil, and definitely will still use OLIVE OIL for some things.

It's weird I didn't think of rice bran oil before.

I just noticed it is more prominent on grocery shelves here.

Is that a major trend?

Rice bran, olive and safflower are the best ones available. Safflower is harder to find here. Sunflower, canola, soybean, corn or palm oils are very toxic when heated. Really low quality fats, and a lot of hdl. So, stick with rice bran or olive. Personally I prefer the flavor of rice bran over olive, as it lends itself to a lot of dishes. Great stuff.

An article in the NYT health section pointed out that there WAS a higher rate of death among people who eat processed and charred meats (steak and barbecue) as compared to those who eat fresh meat prepared in other ways. The rate of death for those who eat processed and charred meat was 16% compared to those who didn't. Their rate of death was 15%. All of this fuss over a 1% difference! Amazing!

I did stop buying the cheaper palm oil, and as it is the cheapest I expect that is what is used in most restaurants.

The next major consideration is oil for frying and after I read a report whereby it basically told me, uncooked this one was better than another for varying saturated, unsaturated and polyunsaturated fat levels BUT, once you cook in it the numbers all change, and even out, just stuck with the soy-bean oil. Some of the oils seem very expensive and my Mrs does use quite a lot so my miserly nature made me pick second cheapest.

I don't use much so cost isn't much of a factor. Deep frying uses a lot of oil but I don't deep fry anything. Some oils are very high priced, such as avocado oil. Curious about coconut oil. The kind I buy is very expensive. Can't imagine deep frying in that. Assume you buy a cheaper kind.