Your 2nd choice if not Pattaya?

slafriphos

Almost anywhere would appeal more than Pattaya. Love the place to visit for the odd day or two and recognise that it has its advantages for those whose priority are cheap girls and falang food!

Would prefer to be in a regional city than in an Isaan village if given free choice. Ubon, Chiang Mai or Chantaburi (but there's loads of regional cities I have not yet visited - Loei, Petchabun, southern cities etc.).

when I'm really old, rather than just old - I want to be by the sea!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the two main places I thought of moving to when I left mainland Europe were Pattaya and the Isle of Wight. Pattaya won, for tax reasons rather than anything else.

how can you compare the two places

I dont compare them but they are two places that I would be comfortable living in. For what it's worth I live almost exactly the same way here as I would do there, except that if I lived there I would do more cooking at home and would eat out less.

Vung Tao or Nha Trang in Vietnam. The food is better, it's much cleaner and beer is cheap. Also they have a lot of variety and not so many crazy rules about nothing in particular.

Have also heard very good reports about these two places. On my list to visit.

Lived in Pattaya for years and enjoyed. It got a little too crazy and crime out of control and I lost interest in bar girls so I moved to Bangkok. I live just off the BTS so traveling around the city is cheap and just steps away. I have found a few really great cheap places to go for a beer or to drink a glass of wine while enjoying a cigar. There are lovely parks all around the city. You have great shopping malls, nightclubs and bars, red light areas, and every kind of restaurant you can dream. Pattaya is only two hours away by car or bus and with two international airports, one accessible by train, you can fly anywhere with little problem. Concerts, plays, jazz clubs, tourists attractions, the city life has just about everything you want. One big reason I moved here was the ladies, not bar girls but office and professional girls. It is so easy to hook up with a nice lady who does not hang out at bars and discos waiting to pick up a man. Forget the hookers and bar tramps, just too many real ladies, I mean around every corner they are there for the picking. And unlike Pattaya you don't pay bar fines or give them money. Great city !

So you hung out at bars in Pattaya, and didnt go looking for the non hookers there. Your post is utter rubbish to be honest, no sense in it whatsoever

Since I replied and after initially saying Chang Mai I will amend it to Havana , Cuba.

I am a American who legally travelled there 12 years ago LAX to Cuba. Reason is a little Money goes far, weather is better and I speak Spanish well.

Many good places to eat when paying with dollars and the ladies and music more to my liking. But unfortunately I am married but would love to retire there and make a go of it.

Added

Bonus they have a nice small china town.

Lived in Pattaya for years and enjoyed. It got a little too crazy and crime out of control and I lost interest in bar girls so I moved to Bangkok. I live just off the BTS so traveling around the city is cheap and just steps away. I have found a few really great cheap places to go for a beer or to drink a glass of wine while enjoying a cigar. There are lovely parks all around the city. You have great shopping malls, nightclubs and bars, red light areas, and every kind of restaurant you can dream. Pattaya is only two hours away by car or bus and with two international airports, one accessible by train, you can fly anywhere with little problem. Concerts, plays, jazz clubs, tourists attractions, the city life has just about everything you want. One big reason I moved here was the ladies, not bar girls but office and professional girls. It is so easy to hook up with a nice lady who does not hang out at bars and discos waiting to pick up a man. Forget the hookers and bar tramps, just too many real ladies, I mean around every corner they are there for the picking. And unlike Pattaya you don't pay bar fines or give them money. Great city !

So you hung out at bars in Pattaya, and didnt go looking for the non hookers there. Your post is utter rubbish to be honest, no sense in it whatsoever

hahaha... Very few non bar or non massage girls in the Pattaya area who are interested in a relationship that does not involve giving a pay check. It seemed every girl I talked to outside of a bar, coffee shop, online, market etc ...was somehow involved in the bar or sex industry. I am sure there are some decent girls around but the number and % is very small compared to other cities. Pattaya is fun but not if you are looking to be dating non bar girls. Bangkok must have one million office girls with an education looking for someone. It is a totally different environment. It depends what you are looking for, if you want bar girls or past bar girls Pattaya is the best city in Thailand. If you want office girls then Bangkok is by far the best in Thailand.... And that is fact not Rubbish

Isle of Wight

Trans, I think you are only saying the Isle of Wight because you got chucked out

of a bar in Pattaya for your rendering of, what's that song you always used to sing?cheesy.gif

Edited by possum1931

appalling food....including in that Chinese area!

Since I replied and after initially saying Chang Mai I will amend it to Havana , Cuba.

I am a American who legally travelled there 12 years ago LAX to Cuba. Reason is a little Money goes far, weather is better and I speak Spanish well.

Many good places to eat when paying with dollars and the ladies and music more to my liking. But unfortunately I am married but would love to retire there and make a go of it.

Added
Bonus they have a nice small china town.

If not Pattaya where.

May I just suggest if you still want to live in Thailand anywhere that's at least 400km away.

That way you might stand a chance of getting a far superior life.

Having lived in Pattaya for over 8 years thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread. It finally drove me out. It wasn't only the food poisoning I got at least once a month. Or the traffic, general filth, Lack of good beach or the hold on a minute there's no mains water yet again. The final straw was a friend getting mugged and having to visit him in ICU everyday for over two weeks. Thank Buddha he's now fine.

What have I missed well nothing. Not the western food, restaurants, shopping, etc because that surprise surprise is available everywhere in Thailand.

Well there is one thing I do miss, my bank balance not going down as fast as it did there.

Have I been back in the last 8 years I have been away. Yes once if I have to every year to visit friends. Has it improved sorry not one jot.

So still stand by my original statement anywhere over 400km.