The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

On 3/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, Dexxter said:

- He told me that I had too many "stays" for the year and that they exceeded 180 days. Yes, that is what he said even if it is not an "official law" as other have previously mentioned. he also said that although the visa was valid for 6 months, it did not mean I can stay for 6 months. He said I should only be in Thailand approximately half the time during the validity of the visa. This is completely new to me. It must have been his interpretation of the law.

Another completely irrational interpretation. What sense does it make to pay for an expensive visa if it can't be used more than half of its validity? Two SETVs would more than well serve the same purpose. The country isn't devoid enough of tourists yet, they really want to drive away the remaining ones as well. BKK last weekend was like a ghost town.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rabang said:

Another completely irrational interpretation. What sense does it make to pay for an expensive visa if it can't be used more than half of its validity? Two SETVs would more than well serve the same purpose. The country isn't devoid enough of tourists yet, they really want to drive away the remaining ones as well. BKK last weekend was like a ghost town.

Not all tourists - just those from the West.  Most entry-points are not run by those who are executing this agenda, and would be the best choice for entering the country.

On 11/14/2015 at 8:15 AM, gawaterman said:

Interesting in that it says "For Holiday purposes including Property-owning" although I guess that would mean condo's

As a property owner this interests me. What did you mean by "it says" you have a link? Thanks 

12 hours ago, madmen said:

As a property owner this interests me. What did you mean by "it says" you have a link? Thanks 

That was on the older application form. The new form no longer has that phrase on it.

Old: https://www.royalthaiconsulate.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Form-A.pdf

New: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/564565b4e4b03880a2ff050f/t/5d50dcff27cc360001d17537/1565580549825/TR_Multiple_12082019.pdf

On 3/7/2020 at 2:02 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Then use an agent, 12,500 baht a year + re entry. First 15 months 20,000 + re entry. 

METV cost me circ 13,000 for a year

@scubascuba3

Could you clarify what you mean by "use an agent"?

Is there a service you can use to make getting visas easier or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Thanks in advance,

8 hours ago, mackitch said:

Could you clarify what you mean by "use an agent"?

Is there a service you can use to make getting visas easier or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

That would be for a extension of stay based upon retirement applied for at immigration here. 

Not for a visa issued at a embassy or consulate.

So I'm on a METV. I just added 30 days to my first 60 day entry on it. With the virus news hitting im thinking of doing a border run to reset the days on the visa. I'm kind of concerned borders get shut down or something of the sort and want to add more time. I had a couple questions.

1. If I leave now I can reenter and it will start a new 60 days despite my extension being another 30 days?

2. Their is a unlimited amount of entries allowed during the period the visa is good for?

3. I can do a border run in say Laos just go over the border and turn back around? Will I even have to get a Laos visa?

Thanks alot! 

54 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

So I'm on a METV. I just added 30 days to my first 60 day entry on it. With the virus news hitting im thinking of doing a border run to reset the days on the visa. I'm kind of concerned borders get shut down or something of the sort and want to add more time. I had a couple questions.

1. If I leave now I can reenter and it will start a new 60 days despite my extension being another 30 days?

2. Their is a unlimited amount of entries allowed during the period the visa is good for?

3. I can do a border run in say Laos just go over the border and turn back around? Will I even have to get a Laos visa?

Thanks alot! 

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. You can turn around and come back, but you need to really enter Laos first (which means you must get a Lao visa: ensure you have US dollars to minimise the cost).

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BritTim said:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. You can turn around and come back, but you need to really enter Laos first (which means you must get a Lao visa: ensure you have US dollars to minimise the cost).

Tim thank you so much for the prompt reply.  You've been amazing when I've had a question over the years. 

Anybody actually had any issues obtaining a METV from an Aus consulate? I visited the website and I see that they require you to mail them your application, no walk ins. Nothing about not issuing METVs though...

Have a flight at end of April and flights are suspended indefinitely to Bangkok the following day, so it's my last chance for a while. 

Greetings. I am on an METV which will expire on April 17, 2020. I have a flight to return home to the US on April 1. It was scheduled to depart from Chiang Mai but has been changed to depart from Bangkok. Given the amount and nature of travel to return home and a Level 4 Travel Advisory form the US, I am contemplating cancelling the flight voluntarily. Having booked through an online agent and unable to deal directly with the airline, I have doubts about providing proof to Thai immigration officials that my cancellation is/was valid. It is also the case that with US Consulate office in Chiang Mai being closed I may have difficulty in procuring a letter to present to immigration.

I imagine there may be others in or understanding of my predicament and wonder what course of action or advice you might suggest.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

Any idea why the US consulate in CM is closed?

It is not closed.

They have reduced the services at the ACS the will do. The are not offering notary services unless it is an emergency. They will still accept passport applications with an appointment.

If you need to get a letter for getting an extension of visa entry you would need to contact them about it. Bangkok is sending them by email.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not closed.

They have reduced the services at the ACS the will do. The are not offering notary services unless it is an emergency. They will still accept passport applications with an appointment.

If you need to get a letter for getting an extension of visa entry you would need to contact them about it. Bangkok is sending them by email.

Unfortunately the ACS appointment calendar which is to be used for appointments shows no open dates. I will attempt a call tomorrow.

On 3/24/2020 at 3:01 AM, ChristianBlessing said:

Greetings. I am on an METV which will expire on April 17, 2020. I have a flight to return home to the US on April 1. It was scheduled to depart from Chiang Mai but has been changed to depart from Bangkok. Given the amount and nature of travel to return home and a Level 4 Travel Advisory form the US, I am contemplating cancelling the flight voluntarily. Having booked through an online agent and unable to deal directly with the airline, I have doubts about providing proof to Thai immigration officials that my cancellation is/was valid. It is also the case that with US Consulate office in Chiang Mai being closed I may have difficulty in procuring a letter to present to immigration.

I imagine there may be others in or understanding of my predicament and wonder what course of action or advice you might suggest.

Thank you.

The Global Level 4 Health Advisory advises citizens to return home immediately unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  Cancelling a flight in these circumstances goes against the advice and wouldn't be a valid reason for Thai Immigration to extend your stay IMO.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

You say the airline won't deal with you directly as you booked through a TA, but have you tried?  Many airlines take over the ticket once the outbound has been flown so you might be able to go direct to the airline, but I would only advise this if you're pulling the flight forward in order to leave sooner.

Edited by treetops

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Cancelling a flight in these circumstances goes against the advice and wouldn't be a valid reason for Thai Immigration to extend your stay IMO.

Proof of flight cancelation is not required to apply for a extension.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

You say the airline won't deal with you directly as you booked through a TA, but have you tried? 

I have indeed tried contacting the airline. They continually instruct me to contact the travel agent. It's a bit of a Catch-22. Thanks for your input.

I am American.  Wife is Thai.  Married 53 years.  We built and own our home in Yasothon, Thailand.  We live

in Thailand from November thru April each year.  The other 6 months is in America.  I find that using the

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa the easiest to use.  We are close to Mukdahan so going across border on

Friendship bridge every 60 days works very well.  I like the METV as the fee is all there is.  I have to pay 35

America dollars in Laos each time, but that is not a problem either.  Just make sure you have passport

photos and the proper paperwork.  I just get extra copy of their Visa App when I go and have it already

filled out along with the 2 passport photos.  Bus is 50 Baht each way and runs very often.  Once in

Savannaket, there is a great souvenir shop there along with a very good restaurant next door.  

• Like 1

Hi all

I have been married to a Thai lady for 10 years and have always used a NON IMM O Multi visa as I had need of cancer treatment in Darwin every 90 days so it worked out well.

The cancer is now in remission and I'm interested in changing my visa so that I can stay and do 90 day reporting online.

If anyone can advise me how to go about this I'd be obliged. My current visa expires on the 22nd July.

Many thanks

Plwch

52 minutes ago, plwch said:

The cancer is now in remission and I'm interested in changing my visa so that I can stay and do 90 day reporting online.

If anyone can advise me how to go about this I'd be obliged. My current visa expires on the 22nd July.

You can do the extension during during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from you your visa. You do not have to wait until your visa expires.

Here is my list of general requirements. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Since you are from Australia (no income proof from your embassy) you will have to prove the 40k baht income by showing a few months of transfers of at least 40k baht into a Thai bank from abroad. No changes to my list if using the 400k baht in the bank option.

39 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

We can extend again, as far as 30 days in advance?

Joe, do you have a similar doc for Non-O on a retirement extension?

You can apply up to 30 day early at about all immigration offices and 45 day at others.

I have not bothered doing one for retirement since what is required can be covered in 2 or 3 lines.

OK my Non-o Marriage expires May 8th. I was going to do a border run a day or so before it expires to get another 90 days but looks like that idea is out. Can I get a 60 day extension then if the borders are still closed in July switch to the reporting? My guess is that I will need to have 400k in a Thai bank for 2 mo's before applying? Can I switch at the end of the 60 days?

32 minutes ago, beammeup said:

OK my Non-o Marriage expires May 8th. I was going to do a border run a day or so before it expires to get another 90 days but looks like that idea is out. Can I get a 60 day extension then if the borders are still closed in July switch to the reporting? My guess is that I will need to have 400k in a Thai bank for 2 mo's before applying? Can I switch at the end of the 60 days?

I wish people would use the correct threads to ask their questions. (A Non O visa is not a tourist visa). Briefly, the answers to your questions are yes, yes and yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on METV and would have normally done a border run on the last validity date of the visa to extend it for 60 days this week. So I asked my embassy (Germany) if there will be extension letters again once the amnesty on April 30th is through and they said no. "The embassy will no longer issue confirmations for the extension of your Thai visa until further notice. This also applies if your Thai visa expires after April 30th. Therefore refer to the respective Thai authorities with questions on how to extend your visa". Does that mean everyone on an expiring METV will have to leave immediately after the borders open? Because immigration said last week they will only do extensions if they get a confirmation from the embassy. 

11 minutes ago, RaduAlex said:

I'm on METV and would have normally done a border run on the last validity date of the visa to extend it for 60 days this week. So I asked my embassy (Germany) if there will be extension letters again once the amnesty on April 30th is through and they said no. "The embassy will no longer issue confirmations for the extension of your Thai visa until further notice. This also applies if your Thai visa expires after April 30th. Therefore refer to the respective Thai authorities with questions on how to extend your visa". Does that mean everyone on an expiring METV will have to leave immediately after the borders open? Because immigration said last week they will only do extensions if they get a confirmation from the embassy. 

Right now, you get an automatic extension of your existing permission to stay with no need to visit Immigration. Once the current state of emergency ends, I would expect you would need to leave Thailand within some specified period of time. That could possibly even be true while land borders are closed if it is deemed easy to leave by air. Unless you plan to return to your home country, my guess is that your options will be limited, with most countries having strict rules to try to keep out visitors with Covid-19.

• 1 month later...

Hoping I have this METV related question in the right topic - 

Mine expired Apr 25 but I fit into their very generous automatic extension till July 31, all good.

But with the Covid scene in the US being what it is, I'm not at all sure I want to return that soon, so I'm starting to ask around and see what my options might be.

I've been checking here, and before they made that July 31 extension, my plan was to pay 1900 baht for 30 days, and one guy said he was confident that, if the borders opened, I'd be able to do a run at the end of that extension, May 24 or so, for another 60. 

So, if that's  accurate - (would have been able to do a run at the end of May) - what I'm wondering is if there's any way to know/anticipate how they'll be dealing with this at the end of July? If there's a border open by then, might I be able to do a run with this METV then and be OK till end of September? 

Thanks,

DS

42 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

So, if that's  accurate - (would have been able to do a run at the end of May) - what I'm wondering is if there's any way to know/anticipate how they'll be dealing with this at the end of July? If there's a border open by then, might I be able to do a run with this METV then and be OK till end of September? 

If your METV has not expired yet you could leave and re-enter the country for a new 60 day entry from it.

• Like 1