The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Clearly you were not on the consultation panel for the "attempt to assist dumb Thai rule makers"

Join the other zillion farang thinking this is most stupid requirements ever for a tv . Well except for the self righteous farang already living here

I've quite a number of fellow British friends who have lived in France to long that they have Grandchildren. These rules say they can't apply in France because they have a UK passport and can't apply in the UK because they have a French bank account. Insanity.

Thailand supposedly wants 'quality people' as I understand. I could be accused of giving too much credit but it would seem that they want 'gullible people' rather.... I personally, IMHO, think I am giving too much credit because the nation, run by the government' doesn't have a clue about the outside world.

I'm ten months away about even thinking about an METV so no real reason to even be interested in this topic because it will change. I only do because it will be interesting to see how it evolves. Waiting for clarification as usual.

Government, and most of the people, think all farangs are rich. Perhaps many are but they are because they would not leave the equivalent of B200k in a bank for 6 months.

Edited by notmyself

I've quite a number of fellow British friends who have lived in France to long that they have Grandchildren. These rules say they can't apply in France because they have a UK passport and can't apply in the UK because they have a French bank account. Insanity.

It is now increasingly clear that current METV requirements are designed to prevent this type of visa from being issued. As @Lorin reported, even if someone manages to jump through one set of ridiculous requirements, they won't hesitate to come up with another, or if that fails, refuse altogether on any pretext.

METV is unobtainable for now, that much is clear.

Perhaps we might see an occasional successful report, but those will be few and far between. As an aside, not many people know a 3-year multiple-entry Non-Immigrant B visa is a thing... nobody ever gets one (maybe those who do know better than to announce it to the world), but it's on the books.

The only silver lining is that the METV visa type is now formally active. They might decide to loosen the requirements when political winds change (perhaps due to pressure from tourism industry, power transition or some other reason). This will probably be done in silence, only at certain consulates, without a clear or broadly distributed announcement.

• Like 1

It is up to the consulate where you apply.

With the proviso, of course, that the individual official may have his/her own rules (for example in Kuala Lumpur). Add that the rules as posted on the consulate website may, or may not, bear any resemblance to what is demanded in practice. You can call (many consulates, not all, will answer the phone) and ask. However, you will probably not get a straight answer if the question is complicated.

It really is best to let others be the guinea pigs, and to survey ThaiVisa and other forums for recent experiences when guessing what you might or might not be able to do at a specific consulate, border crossing or immigration office.

Clearly you were not on the consultation panel for the "attempt to assist dumb Thai rule makers"

Join the other zillion farang thinking this is most stupid requirements ever for a tv . Well except for the self righteous farang already living here

Thailand supposedly wants 'quality people' as I understand. I could be accused of giving too much credit but it would seem that they want 'gullible people' rather.... I personally, IMHO, think I am giving too much credit because the nation, run by the government' doesn't have a clue about the outside world.

I'm ten months away about even thinking about an METV so no real reason to even be interested in this topic because it will change. I only do because it will be interesting to see how it evolves. Waiting for clarification as usual.

Government, and most of the people, think all farangs are rich. Perhaps many are but they are because they would not leave the equivalent of B200k in a bank for 6 months.

So your British Friends who've lived in France for so long as to have grandchildren there have never bothered to register at the local town hall & got residency status (not exactly hard, a non-EU spouse can get it after 3 months just by living there with an EU citizen), because if they have (& meet the other criteria) I'm pretty sure they'll have no problem applying for an METV in France.

Not that they'd have a problem (if they meet all of the other criteria) in applying for one with French bank accounts in the UK either.

Have any of them actually tried?

• Like 2

It is now increasingly clear that current METV requirements are designed to prevent this type of visa from being issued. As @Lorin reported, even if someone manages to jump through one set of ridiculous requirements, they won't hesitate to come up with another, or if that fails, refuse altogether on any pretext.

METV is unobtainable for now, that much is clear.

Perhaps we might see an occasional successful report, but those will be few and far between. As an aside, not many people know a 3-year multiple-entry Non-Immigrant B visa is a thing... nobody ever gets one (maybe those who do know better than to announce it to the world), but it's on the books.

The only silver lining is that the METV visa type is now formally active. They might decide to loosen the requirements when political winds change (perhaps due to pressure from tourism industry, power transition or some other reason). This will probably be done in silence, only at certain consulates, without a clear or broadly distributed announcement.

It's clear that the METV is targeted at countries who currently have to apply for Visa on Arrival (notably India & China) & the increase in number of visitors from these will dwarf the number of people who don't visit because they can no longer get a 2/3 entry.

As for those who are impacted by no longer being able to get a multi-entry visa, the vast majority will find another way or #only# stay for 90 days so the downside is negligible.

Right or wrong / hate it or love it, it's number of visitors (not spends) that seems to count in Thailand so the METV will be seen as a success & I wouldn't bank on it going away anytime soon.

• Like 2

Hi, about to leave for Savannakhet in two hours, and I'm still getting mixed signals from people about what I'll be eligible for. I'm an American, here on a double entry tourist visa, which is expiring. Now that the new rules are applied, can I still get another three months? How long do I need to stay out of the country?

Edited by littlejssn

Hi, about to leave for Savannakhet in two hours, and I'm still getting mixed signals from people about what I'll be eligible for. I'm an American, here on a double entry tourist visa, which is expiring. Now that the new rules are applied, can I still get another three months? How long do I need to stay out of the country?

You will be able to apply for a single entry tourist visa which allows an initial 60 day stay in Thailand.

In creating the METV for whatever market they were targeting, there was really no reason that they had to eliminate the 2x entry tourist visa available at bordering/neighboring countries to Thailand. Go figure.

As the double entry visa was used by many (ie.think "teachers" ) to work illegally it would seem there was very good reason to eliminate the 2x entry tourist visa !

• Like 1

It would be wrong to think that the multiple-entry tourist visa was introduced and the tourist visa for two and three entries elimimated specifically because of any presumed or alleged use of the earlier visa types by travellers to Thailand for purposes other than they were intended for. These changes in the visa structure have been made worldwide.

So why could they not have introduced the METV maybe for those citizens of neighboring countries that want to make frequent trips to Thailand and still have maintained at least the double entry Tourist Visa available worldwide?

BTW Maybe one of the pinned topics should now be changed to "Latest News Of Getting A SETV In The Region".

Edited by JLCrab

So your British Friends who've lived in France for so long as to have grandchildren there have never bothered to register at the local town hall & got residency status (not exactly hard, a non-EU spouse can get it after 3 months just by living there with an EU citizen), because if they have (& meet the other criteria) I'm pretty sure they'll have no problem applying for an METV in France.

Not that they'd have a problem (if they meet all of the other criteria) in applying for one with French bank accounts in the UK either.

Why would someone do that since they already have residency under EU law?

So why could they not have introduced the METV maybe for those citizens of neighboring countries that want to make frequent trips to Thailand and still have maintained at least the double entry Tourist Visa available worldwide?...

I don't know, as I was not involved in the decision-making process.

• Like 2

Why would someone do that since they already have residency under EU law?

Oh I don't know... Maybe because of EU law... http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:02004L0038-20110616

(9) Union citizens should have the right of residence in the host Member State for a period not exceeding three months without being subject to any conditions or any formalities other than the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport, without prejudice to a more favourable treatment applicable to job-seekers as recognised by the case-law of the Court of Justice.

(12) For periods of residence of longer than three months, Member States should have the possibility to require Union citizens to register with the competent authorities in the place of residence, attested by a registration certificate issued to that effect.

I thought that you had to register for a carte de séjour within 3 months of living in France (have to have it within 3 months so need to actually register within 2 months), but a quick Google suggests it's dependent on where they're living http://www.expatica.com/fr/visas-and-permits/A-guide-for-EU-EEA-Swiss-citizens-moving-to-France_109144.html... But it is pretty common to have to register with the local town hall, especially if they've been living there for decades.

My point though is that they've either registered or they don't need to, either way they're residents so will be able to apply for an METV in France.

Again my question is, have any of them tried or is this just an assumption.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

As the double entry visa was used by many (ie.think "teachers" ) to work illegally it would seem there was very good reason to eliminate the 2x entry tourist visa !

Quite so. The current abysmal level of English by Thai school leavers can only be rectified by getting rid of the few native speakers willing to teach here for minimal salaries. It is quite disgusting that they have been left alone to mislead Thai school kids for so long with the myth that they know better than typical Thai teaching materials how English is really spoken.

These English teachers should get a working Visa /Non O visa.

• Like 1

Quite so. The current abysmal level of English by Thai school leavers can only be rectified by getting rid of the few native speakers willing to teach here for minimal salaries. It is quite disgusting that they have been left alone to mislead Thai school kids for so long with the myth that they know better than typical Thai teaching materials how English is really spoken.

These English teachers should get a working Visa /Non O visa.

Let say about 4 years ago I was offered a position in our local Village School to teach English for one hour a day for 4 days a week for 7,000 baht a month. I laughed at this and they told me I needed no work permit as I would be 'volunteer' for the kids sake of having a native speaker in class. Currently that school has a old farang of around 65 doing this as he told me, 'just something to fill in time for'. I have a degree (not in teaching) and even with a back ground in study, I could not teach effectively as I do not know how too.

The METV may stop some of this as the younger crowd that may have taught for income over a 3-4 month period will find it harder to stay. As for Nomads, Chiang Mai is now full of them (just go to any decent coffee shop and look) coming here for the winter (and the European Winter). Maybe they will only stay for the winter now as the double entry is gone and be off somewhere else after there 3 month Visa runs out.

• Like 1

So let me see if I get this straight...

If I get a SETV it will last for 60 days + 30 days of extension = 3 months.

Once it runs out, I go to a neighbour embassy and get another visa that lasts for another 3 months including the extension.

I can SURELY do this for at least 1 year (four SETV in a row), and then what? You think im getting denied another SETV? Is it certain that if I mix the embassies where I apply I will be able to get further SETV? Or I can do 4 SETV in a row in the same embassy and then change to another embassy and repeat the process?

Also, with this SETV visa hops have no more sense as there are no more entries to "Activate", am I rite?

Undoubtley seems more complicated than before with METV but I think is still doable. Will cost a lil bit more money in the long run but if you really want to stay in Thailand long term you can do it based solely on SETV.

Correct me if (where) im wrong please!

Once it runs out, I go to a neighbour embassy and get another visa that lasts for another 3 months including the extension.

I can SURELY do this for at least 1 year (four SETV in a row), and then what? You think im getting denied another SETV? Is it certain that if I mix the embassies where I apply I will be able to get further SETV? Or I can do 4 SETV in a row in the same embassy and then change to another embassy and repeat the process?

Also, with this SETV visa hops have no more sense as there are no more entries to "Activate", am I rite?

Undoubtley seems more complicated than before with METV but I think is still doable. Will cost a lil bit more money in the long run but if you really want to stay in Thailand long term you can do it based solely on SETV.

Good post.

Is the METV valid for six months I wonder.

You can stay here as long as you are granted SETV's. There is currently no official total limit to the number you can have but some embassies/consulates will apply an individual limit. As long as you are prepared to go from country to country to obtain the visa you could, theoretically, live here for years.

• Like 1