The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Good information in this string; thank you gentlemen!

I know it is early and just barely possible at this time since they began issuing them on 13 November but has anyone heard of a 30 day in-country extension of the METV, similar to the 30 day extension allowed on a single entry tourist visa? I don't recall any mention of it in any Thai Consulate pages I have read. A friend mentioned it to me and I doubt it is possible but this is the place to ask.

Thank you.

Any 60 day entry gained from an METV can be extended by 30 days at a cost of 1900 Bht at any immigration office.

I know it is early and just barely possible at this time since they began issuing them on 13 November but has anyone heard of a 30 day in-country extension of the METV, similar to the 30 day extension allowed on a single entry tourist visa? I don't recall any mention of it in any Thai Consulate pages I have read. A friend mentioned it to me and I doubt it is possible but this is the place to ask.

Thank you.

You can extend any 60 day entry with the METV by 30 days. It's a tourist visa so qualifies for this extension in the same way the SETV does and the old double and triple entries did.

Going to liverpool consulate tomorrow will report back on application for METV

When filling out application what is the best thing to put in the duration of proposed stay bit?

And I will be going in and out so do they mean total or just first trip?

I don't have an outbound flight from Thailand yet.

When filling out application what is the best thing to put in the duration of proposed stay bit?

I would write "variable". Allowed an unlimited number of trips to Thailand within six months it is unreasonable to expect that I now the number of trips and the duration of stay for each trip in advance.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Any 60 day entry gained from an METV can be extended by 30 days at a cost of 1900 Bht at any immigration office.

So you can get 9 months out of it?

Thank you.

So you can get 9 months out of it?

Yes, it works same as previous the Triple Entry. 60+30, OUT/IN 60+30 OUT/IN before ENTER BEFORE date than 60+30 again, total up to 270 days.

I have been coming to Thailand for the Winter for 10 years. BUT it will be impossible for me to obtain a Tourist visa from the UK for next winter unless they change recently introduced rules. This is because my income is from 'letting' and is classified neither as employed or self-employed income which is the requirement. It is classified separately by the UK tax authorities as 'Income from land and property'. I know that from time to time Thaivisa.com meet with Thai officials, so I hope Thaivisa.com can lobby the Thai authorities and point this out. Also surely, if not retired, most who are employed or self-employed cannot come for 6 months can they, as they must work!?! It is only those of 'independent means' who have income from 'not' working or savings or a private pension who can come for that length of time and these are excluded from the new rules.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

I have been coming to Thailand for the Winter for 10 years. BUT it will be impossible for me to obtain a Tourist visa from the UK for next winter unless they change recently introduced rules. This is because my income is from 'letting' and is classified neither as employed or self-employed income which is the requirement. It is classified separately by the UK tax authorities as 'Income from land and property'. I know that from time to time Thaivisa.com meet with Thai officials, so I hope Thaivisa.com can lobby the Thai authorities and point this out. Surely, if not retired, most who are employed or self-employed cannot come for 6 months can they, as they must work!?! It is only those of 'independent means' who have income from 'not' working or savings or a private pension who can come for that length of time.

A single entry TV requires no proof of income.

If you want a multiple-entry tourist visa I would suggest you discuss by 'phone or email your particular situation with one of the Honorary Thai Consulates (perhaps not Hull! )

a quick question:

is the METV valid for 6 months from date of entry regardless of how long one is in thailand or does it work in the same way as the old triple entry tourist visa where you could be in thailand 2 months then leave for a week and on return get another 2 months then leave for a week and get another 2 months?

thanks

a quick question:

is the METV valid for 6 months from date of entry regardless of how long one is in thailand or does it work in the same way as the old triple entry tourist visa where you could be in thailand 2 months then leave for a week and on return get another 2 months then leave for a week and get another 2 months?

thanks

The visa is valid for 6 months from the day of issue.

Each entry made with the visa provides for a 60 day stay which can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office.

I have been coming to Thailand for the Winter for 10 years. BUT it will be impossible for me to obtain a Tourist visa from the UK for next winter unless they change recently introduced rules. This is because my income is from 'letting' and is classified neither as employed or self-employed income which is the requirement. It is classified separately by the UK tax authorities as 'Income from land and property'. I know that from time to time Thaivisa.com meet with Thai officials, so I hope Thaivisa.com can lobby the Thai authorities and point this out. Surely, if not retired, most who are employed or self-employed cannot come for 6 months can they, as they must work!?! It is only those of 'independent means' who have income from 'not' working or savings or a private pension who can come for that length of time.

If you want a multiple-entry tourist visa I would suggest you discuss by 'phone or email your particular situation with one of the Honorary Thai Consulates (perhaps not Hull! )

Thanks for info. Can a single entry be extended and then can another extendable single entry TV be obtained from Savannahkhet (preferably) or Vientianne?

I have always found Hull to be more helpful than London. When I tried to phone London a couple of years ago I could only get through by stealth as the numbers on their website never answered. I tried different extension numbers to those given and eventually got transferred internally by someone in a different dept. Eventually I was told by an unhelpful Thai 'jobsworth' that my income from rentals shown on my 3 months bank statements was unacceptable for obtaining an O-A visa!

Thanks for info. Can a single entry be extended and then can another extendable single entry TV be obtained from Savannahkhet (preferably) or Vientianne?

I have always found Hull to be more helpful than London. When I tried to phone London a couple of years ago I could only get through by stealth as the numbers on their website never answered. I tried different extension numbers to those given and eventually got transferred internally by someone in a different dept. Eventually I was told by an unhelpful Thai 'jobsworth' that my income from rentals shown on my 3 months bank statements was unacceptable for obtaining an O-A visa!

You can obtain a second TV with ease from Laos.

All single entry TV's can be extended as can entries gained from an METV.

I specifically suggested contacting one of the Hon. Consulates. and not the Embassy who are as you say difficult to contact.

Hull, at one time, was known for being "friendly" and have in recent times been restricted in what they are now allowed to do.

• Like 2

I have been coming to Thailand for the Winter for 10 years. BUT it will be impossible for me to obtain a Tourist visa from the UK for next winter unless they change recently introduced rules. This is because my income is from 'letting' and is classified neither as employed or self-employed income which is the requirement. It is classified separately by the UK tax authorities as 'Income from land and property'. I know that from time to time Thaivisa.com meet with Thai officials, so I hope Thaivisa.com can lobby the Thai authorities and point this out. Also surely, if not retired, most who are employed or self-employed cannot come for 6 months can they, as they must work!?! It is only those of 'independent means' who have income from 'not' working or savings or a private pension who can come for that length of time and these are excluded from the new rules.

I think if you don't work you can put retired on the application and as long as you have the £5k in the bank for 6 months there is a very good chance they will give you the METV.

However, surely rental income is subject to tax and you have to submit a tax return every year. They don't ask for a min income or how much you earn just proof that you have a business by way of a tax return/self assessment.

If you are only planning to stay 6 months then just get a SETV before leaving and a second visa from a Thai embassy/consulate local to Thailand. Even if you have a METV you need to leave the country after 60/90 days and getting a second SETV just needs one overnight stay.

• Like 1

My problem with METV is that I have most of my liquidity in Singapore bank and brokerage accounts, but I am from Europe where I don't hold too much cash only own property. Moreover, in between jobs now so could use this visa to stay in Thailand and occasionally travel to SG and Malaysia to meet up with friends. So I have the time and the money, but no employment in Europe or EP pass in Singapore. A single entry visa is not quite okay for me as I would want to travel more frequently than 60 days.

SG embassy is adamant that I need to have an employment pass to apply, otherwise only single entry visa.

Melbourne would be okay, but I guess they don't want too many precedents and tend to redirect me to SG, but that's back to square one.

Perth now explicitly says that I need to have permanent residency down under to apply. (In spite of the requirements on their form) So an eVisitor (subclass 651) won't do.

Feel like a bit cornered. Any ideas? Thanks.

My problem with METV is that I have most of my liquidity in Singapore bank and brokerage accounts, but I am from Europe where I don't hold too much cash only own property. Moreover, in between jobs now so could use this visa to stay in Thailand and occasionally travel to SG and Malaysia to meet up with friends. So I have the time and the money, but no employment in Europe or EP pass in Singapore. A single entry visa is not quite okay for me as I would want to travel more frequently than 60 days.

SG embassy is adamant that I need to have an employment pass to apply, otherwise only single entry visa.

Melbourne would be okay, but I guess they don't want too many precedents and tend to redirect me to SG, but that's back to square one.

Perth now explicitly says that I need to have permanent residency down under to apply. (In spite of the requirements on their form) So an eVisitor (subclass 651) won't do.

If you can't get a METV anywhere you could always buy/use a re-entry permit to keep your 60 day SETV entries alive.

If you can't get a METV anywhere you could always buy/use a re-entry permit to keep your 60 day SETV entries alive.

Can I use the multiple re-entry permit with the 60 day SETV? Ie. obtain the SETV, get it extended and then apply the multiple re-entry? Thanks.

By the way it is the absurdness of the employment requirements that upsets me. Practically no employer will let you go on a 6 month vacation...

METVs are not available in neighboring Countries (to Thailand) , METVs are generally only available to people applying in their home Countries, although there are some Thai Embassys on Australia who seem to be issuing them to non residents

Can I use the multiple re-entry permit with the 60 day SETV? Ie. obtain the SETV, get it extended and then apply the multiple re-entry? Thanks.

By the way it is the absurdness of the employment requirements that upsets me. Practically no employer will let you go on a 6 month vacation...

• You could but it's unlikely to be cost effective or practical. They cost 3,800 baht and are only valid for the remaining duration of your original 60 day stay or the 30 day extension. Single re-entries are 1,000 baht.
  • You will only be able to extend the SETV stay within the last week or so. You can buy a re-entry permit that would cover the 30 day extension, but if you qualify for visa exempt entry it would be better to use that to re-enter or get a new SETV while out of the country.

I understand why you are upset, but plenty of people are able to take 6 months off work or from their businesses or are retired. The reason most countries ask for employment details is to demonstrate a reason for the tourist to go home after their trip. As I'm sure you know many people have used the tourist visa as a way to stay long term which isn't really it's function, and IMO part of the reason for change is to cut down on the numbers of tourists staying long term.

There is no limit on the overall number of SETV's you can have although individual embassies/consulates will have limits. So as long as you are prepared to apply in different countries you can still stay using SETV's, visa exempt entries and the occasional re-entry permit when practical.

• You could but it's unlikely to be cost effective or practical. They cost 3,800 baht and are only valid for the remaining duration of your original 60 day stay or the 30 day extension. Single re-entries are 1,000 baht.
  • You will only be able to extend the SETV stay within the last week or so. You can buy a re-entry permit that would cover the 30 day extension, but if you qualify for visa exempt entry it would be better to use that to re-enter or get a new SETV while out of the country.

I understand why you are upset, but plenty of people are able to take 6 months off work or from their businesses or are retired. The reason most countries ask for employment details is to demonstrate a reason for the tourist to go home after their trip. As I'm sure you know many people have used the tourist visa as a way to stay long term which isn't really it's function, and IMO part of the reason for change is to cut down on the numbers of tourists staying long term.

There is no limit on the overall number of SETV's you can have although individual embassies/consulates will have limits. So as long as you are prepared to apply in different countries you can still stay using SETV's, visa exempt entries and the occasional re-entry permit when practical.

You may have got me wrong... I don't want to stay for an excessive period and play the system, simply have a longer than normal holiday in between jobs with the freedom to hop over to Malaysia, SG, or Indo at my leisure. Thank for the info on re-entry stuff, it's really useful.

• Like 1

METVs are not available in neighboring Countries (to Thailand) , METVs are generally only available to people applying in their home Countries, although there are some Thai Embassys on Australia who seem to be issuing them to non residents

Luke - that is correct, but there seems to be no consistency whatsoever on the requirement front. Not even within AU...

You seem like the kind of person who ought to be able to travel in and out of Thailand on visa exempt entries. As long as you do not want to stay longer than 30-60 days per entry, this is your hassle free option in principle. The problem you are possibly going to run into is the belief by some immigration officials that visa exempt entries should be subject to limitations of number of entries and/or days. If you always enter through airports, then in your position I would plan on using visa exempts. It does not seem that being denied entry (in the unlikely event that happened) would be a tragedy in your case.

• Like 1

I was granted METV today at Liverpool consulate.

Took 10 minutes and then come back in 20 minutes to collect.

Painless process

I provided:

ISA savings account

Self assessment form

Flight into Thailand (one way)

Hotel reservation

Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry.

• Like 2

I was granted METV today at Liverpool consulate.

Took 10 minutes and then come back in 20 minutes to collect.

Painless process

I provided:

ISA savings account

Self assessment form

Flight into Thailand (one way)

Hotel reservation

Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry.

Another "rumour"

"Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry."

Who told you this totally unfounded nonsense ?

Another "rumour"

"Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry."

Who told you this totally unfounded nonsense ?

It has actually been in the news. Increased scrutiny of arrivals at immigration for details of their trip, hotel bookings, proof of an outward ticket etc. - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Immigration-ups-scrutiny-of-foreign-visitors-overs-30276659.html

Lots of similar reports in this thread too, from posters who recently went through arrivals.

Here's an earlier report from this thread of being asked for a flight out even with an METV.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/page-38#entry10295920

I am here on my METV.
The immigration officer asked me if i had proof of my hotel booking which I had wrtten down on the entry card. I told her politely No, but I had the phone number and she could call to confirm. She said nothing back.
She then asked me if I had proof I would be leaving within 60 days.