The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Hi there. Any recent reports from UK consulates, applying for METV? I would like to know if they are asking for the documents exactly 'as advertised'? I find it hard to believe that all 3 consulates are demanding you provide ALL of the information - bank statment, employment stand out for me as soemthing they might turn a bling eye to but obviously i would like to know first hand!

The few reports so far suggest it's pretty much as advertised. What is it specifically you have a problem providing?

Hi there. Any recent reports from UK consulates, applying for METV? I would like to know if they are asking for the documents exactly 'as advertised'? I find it hard to believe that all 3 consulates are demanding you provide ALL of the information - bank statment, employment stand out for me as soemthing they might turn a bling eye to but obviously i would like to know first hand!

The few reports so far suggest it's pretty much as advertised. What is it specifically you have a problem providing?

Hi there. Actualy I did call the Consulate in Birmingham to ask how strictly they are enforcing it and the answer is, strictly. I just wondered if they are just saying that on the phone and other people had easier experiences. I doubt it.

The problem I have is the employment part. I work for myself, sort of a digital nomad I guess you could say although it is an actual U.S based business I run remotley from here on my laptop for the last 8 years. Nothing in any way to do with Thailand: Im not buying or selling anything, here or servicing anyone here, or working for anyone here. Its entirley U.S based. So, no letter of employment!

Further to that, I have been in Thailand for 12 years (combination of tourist visas and non immigrant O, when easier to obtain) and dont have a UK address anymore even. I have a U.K driving license with my sisters address, and thats it. I have a bank account, and it has had more than $5000 in it for the last 7 or 8 years but its is a U.S account... Apparently bank statments need to be signed or stamped, something I am not able to with my U.S account, unless I fly to the U.S before going on to the UK to get the visa!

Its starting to look like I have no options realy, apart from the Elite visa. I dont mind paying the 500K as it breaks down to good value per-day but many people seem to have little faith in that, thinking that there is a chance that the Elite programme could go under half way through your 5 years and you lose your visa. There is a slim chance of that, but enough to make me think twice.

So yah... Seems like I am boxed into a corner here :)

Hi there. Actualy I did call the Consulate in Birmingham to ask how strictly they are enforcing it and the answer is, strictly. I just wondered if they are just saying that on the phone and other people had easier experiences. I doubt it.

The problem I have is the employment part. I work for myself, sort of a digital nomad I guess you could say although it is an actual U.S based business I run remotley from here on my laptop for the last 8 years. Nothing in any way to do with Thailand: Im not buying or selling anything, here or servicing anyone here, or working for anyone here. Its entirley U.S based. So, no letter of employment!

Further to that, I have been in Thailand for 12 years (combination of tourist visas and non immigrant O, when easier to obtain) and dont have a UK address anymore even. I have a U.K driving license with my sisters address, and thats it. I have a bank account, and it has had more than $5000 in it for the last 7 or 8 years but its is a U.S account... Apparently bank statments need to be signed or stamped, something I am not able to with my U.S account, unless I fly to the U.S before going on to the UK to get the visa!

Its starting to look like I have no options realy, apart from the Elite visa. I dont mind paying the 500K as it breaks down to good value per-day but many people seem to have little faith in that, thinking that there is a chance that the Elite programme could go under half way through your 5 years and you lose your visa. There is a slim chance of that, but enough to make me think twice.

So yah... Seems like I am boxed into a corner here smile.png

I feel your pain. I spent 14 years on various non permanent visas.

There is another thread discussing getting the METV from Australia. You don't need to give any employment information and a Thai bank with the funds should be accepted, and I would imagine your US account too. It's an expensive hassle but cheaper than going to the UK. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887499-got-metv-in-australia-with-no-residency-employment-requirements/?view=getnewpost

Have you had many tourist visas locally because they are still available (SETV)?

Don't be concerned about the Elite visa. Even if they folded the scheme the visa itself would be good for the balance of the 5 years. the worst that could happen is the loss of membership benefits like Limo service. If you don't renew it at the end of year 5 you can actually squeeze nearly 6 years out of it if you renter near the end of year 5 and don't mind not having the membership benefits during year 6.

Edited by elviajero

Generally, when unable to meet a particular requirement for a visa, one should submit a written explanation, addressed to His Excellency the Consul, why this is so. Having this to put on file, a consulate will likely make an exception for that particular requirement if the explanation is reasonable and logical.

Realistically how much money could you (with minimum risk) make from £8,000? Say 3% pa (£240) before tax?

It would be 120 quid because we are only talking about 6 months.

This goes back to what I was saying earlier about the rules being created in order to only import dullards. It's either that or they really don't have a clue what happens outside of the Kingdom. Take your pick.

Friend of mine asked me for a loan as her phone had spat the dummy (pacifier). I told her wait 48 hours and I would get her a new one so she didn't have to go into debt. Went home and bought 10,000 eggs in northern U.S. which I then shipped to Canada. I was working on a very small profit margin as all I wanted was to buy a friend a new phone and it wasn't like it took much of an effort on my part. To ask me to chuck 8 grand into a bank account for 6 months is to ask me to be stupid. Well no, sorry, rather go somewhere else.

To get back to the 8 grand per se. If I have to actually do something then I'm expecting 20% at the least with close to no risk. If they just wait proof of 8k in a bank when applying for a METV then that is reasonable (?!?).

I should stop before I write a diatribe which would be off topic.

Got an email about the first METV a visa run company had seen at a border crossing. Issued at the consulate in Toronto 4 days after the METV started.

Immigration did not know what to do with it at first. Took awhile after a phone call to for the holder to get stamped in. Suspect part of the problem was the hand written info on the sticker.

I have no other info to provide.

post-66997-0-24333900-1453428732_thumb.j

Boston has always written out both multiple entry visas and the new METV. I never had any problems entering at the airport. I think most likely at land borders it's just very rare and soon they won't have any lag time after seeing one. Probably just a learning curve thing.

Hi all, going to apply for a METV in London

I'm 25 and confess to likely being a digital

Nomad around sea for the next few months.

I've spent 3 months in Thailand over 6 months until December 2015 on visa exempts.

My questions in regards to the london UK requirements:

Is £6000 in an online ISA saving account - been there for over a year. Does this count? Can I just print out a copy. What does official stamp of bank mean?

I am self employed in the UK as a sole trader - so not registered to a company as I sub contract to other companies. So how do I give a company registration document?

And when they say your self assessment - this is done online - so just a copy?

The requirements just say a copy of the flight out, I see no mention of needing a return?

Thanks - if ever questioned by an official about reasons for being there what are things to be avoided and things to be said? Saying I am visiting my thai gf?

Ps I'm not trying to exploit thailand - it's just a great place to be while I work on my online stuff. I don't 'work illegally' in the sense of taking money from Thailand and I spend a lot.

Thanks in advance, once I get the thoughts will go to embassy on Monday.

Can I get the multiple Entry Tourist Visa from Bangladesh?

If yes, So How can I get that service?

If you are a Bangladeshi national, or have a Bangladeshi work permit, it seems to be possible in principle.

You will need to apply through VFS Global in Dhaka. I suggest you talk with them to find out what they would be satisfied with in your particular case. However, you can get an initial idea by browsing their (rather good) website starting at http://www.vfsglobal.com/Thailand/Bangladesh/Tourist_Visa.html.

Good luck, and please do provide feedback on how you get on.

I've spent 3 months in Thailand over 6 months until December 2015 on visa exempts.

Is £6000 in an online ISA saving account - been there for over a year. Does this count? Can I just print out a copy. What does official stamp of bank mean?

I am self employed in the UK as a sole trader - so not registered to a company as I sub contract to other companies. So how do I give a company registration document?

The requirements just say a copy of the flight out, I see no mention of needing a return?

Thanks - if ever questioned by an official about reasons for being there what are things to be avoided and things to be said? Saying I am visiting my thai gf?

Ps I'm not trying to exploit thailand - it's just a great place to be while I work on my online stuff. I don't 'work illegally' in the sense of taking money from Thailand and I spend a lot.

If you sub-contracted to companies in Thailand, you would have a much better story.

If you sub-contracted to companies in Thailand, you would have a much better story.

Not really, because then it would appear he was coming here to work. That is not the intent of the METV.

Selling is work -- purchasing maybe is not.

I think that is too broad a generalization. For instance, I have heard of people coming for an extended holiday who buy a motorcycle at the beginning of their trip and resell it prior to their departure. I do not think this is any more working than "selling" travelers checks.

I was referencing the contracting of computer related services with Thai-based computer services companies not incidental tourist activities.

Point taken, but I can still imagine your generalization being problematic. An overseas company selling services to a Thai company is presumably legal as long as the selling is done via courier, email and Skype without a representative physically present in Thailand. However, if one of its employees sets foot in Thailand for a vacation, and takes the opportunity of a face-to-face meeting to get acquainted, he could be accused of working. I do not think such issues are easily reduced to black and white judgments.

I'm 25 and confess to likely being a digital Nomad around sea for the next few months.

It's too early since the launch of the METV for anyone to be able to give you a definitive answer. All you can do is take everything you have to the embassy or call them and ask.

• I'd of thought the ISA account would be ok. I assume that if you are using a copy rather than original document it needs to be certified by the bank/provider.
  • If you're self employed and submit your tax return online you should be able to print your last tax self assessment tax return and payment via your registered online account. I would think that would be accepted.
  • No return flight needed.
  • You are visiting for tourism an leisure. Saying you're visiting a girlfriend is irrelevant.
  • FYI, although Digital Nomads are currently tolerated it is illegal to work in Thailand without permission. There is no issue with tourists keeping up with work whilst on holiday/vacation, but operating a business from here is entirely different.

Good answer from elviajero.

Don't think anyone can tell you what will satisfy the consulate. Just take with you whatever you can. Then they will point out what else might be needed. If you get the feeling once there that it's going to be difficult just grab a setv and deal with means of staying here after you arrive

Great thanks for information will just see how it goes. I'm actually in Liverpool next week so could go to consulate there - are consulates any better than embassies?

I've now got all the documents so don't see why I wouldn't qualify - who is the METV aimed at?

Great thanks for information will just see how it goes. I'm actually in Liverpool next week so could go to consulate there - are consulates any better than embassies?

I've now got all the documents so don't see why I wouldn't qualify - who is the METV aimed at?

For the official word about whom the METV is aimed at, you need to read the news articles about the announcements made by the relevant government agencies:

2015-08-05: Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846223-thailand-plans-to-grant-multiple-entry-visas-to-tourists-from-all-nations/

Currently, citizens of 30-40 countries can enter the Kingdom without a visa, but some other nationals are required pay about Bt1,000 to get a single-entry, 30-day visa.
Kobkarn said the new visa would allow holders to come into the country more than once, which is similar to what is applied by many other countries. The government plans to charge Bt5,000 for the six-month visa.

2015-09-22: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857598-confirmed-new-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-for-thailand-available-from-november/

Thailand will soon grant multiple-entry visas to visitors to facilitate the forthcoming ASEAN Community and to boost Thailand’s tourism industry.
The multiple-entry tourist visa (METV), costing 5,000 baht, will grant travelers multiple entries during a 6-month period, for up to 60 days per entry.
From the above, it appears that the METV is aimed principally at
  1. Tourists who are not entitled to visa-exempt entry;
  2. Tourists from member states of the "forthcoming ASEAN Community", whatever that may mean. Perhaps he meant the ASEAN Economic Community.
  • Like 2

For the official word about whom the METV is aimed at, you need to read the news articles about the announcements made by the relevant government agencies:

2015-08-05: Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/846223-thailand-plans-to-grant-multiple-entry-visas-to-tourists-from-all-nations/

Currently, citizens of 30-40 countries can enter the Kingdom without a visa, but some other nationals are required pay about Bt1,000 to get a single-entry, 30-day visa.

Kobkarn said the new visa would allow holders to come into the country more than once, which is similar to what is applied by many other countries. The government plans to charge Bt5,000 for the six-month visa.

2015-09-22: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857598-confirmed-new-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-for-thailand-available-from-november/

Thailand will soon grant multiple-entry visas to visitors to facilitate the forthcoming ASEAN Community and to boost Thailands tourism industry.

The multiple-entry tourist visa (METV), costing 5,000 baht, will grant travelers multiple entries during a 6-month period, for up to 60 days per entry.

From the above, it appears that the METV is aimed principally at

• Tourists who are not entitled to visa-exempt entry;
  • Tourists from member states of the "forthcoming ASEAN Community", whatever that may mean. Perhaps he meant the ASEAN Economic Community.
You may be right. But I am Visa exempt and on my 7th entry last year they told me no more and I cannot come back without a Visa.

So I got the METV.

Edited by bkk6060

Good news. Second report of metv issued in Melbourne to firstly a brit and now an American. Perth also advised one UK member that they issue also . Let's hope that as time goes on people will be able to obtain them in countries where they do not hold that countries pp or residence.

• Like 1

Would you mind confirming which documents were submitted ?

METV issued to a US passport holder in Melbourne. Was trying to get a multiple entry non-b but was denied it and they offered the METV instead.

attachicon.gifmel.JPG

I have no additional info but suspect it was the same as mentioned in this post. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870548-the-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-topic-metv/page-46?p=10304509#entry10304509

Just a quick trip report.

Am a British citizen and applied for a METV at Melbourne consulate. They asked for bank statement (I gave them copy of Thai bank account) and a copy of return leg of flight ticket BKK-MEL-BKK. That was it, submitted passport on Monday morning, picked up new visa on Wednesday.

I have an METV issued to a US Passport in USA at Boston.

First of all, getting it was incredibly easy. I only needed to present my Passport, copy of itinerary (showing stay of 3 months), and application form. No other questions asked, no bank account or employment queries, visa given to me on the spot, done in 10 minutes (although my presence via an advance appointment was required). Easiest $200 Thailand has ever made.

Second observation/discovery. Apparently the Thai government is promoting use of U-Tapao (Pattaya/Sattahip) airport, and offering reduced landing fees to airlines using it for international service through September 2016. The result is bargain fares; UTP - Singapore or Kuala Lumpur as low as 890TB via Air Asia! Great "visa run" gateway.

Now my questions.

I had heard that in the past crossing the border by road resulted in an entry valid for only 15 days. Using an METV with one entry against it, will I get an additional 60 days as the result of a land crossing? Any difference between entering by air or road with an METV?

Also, is there a time requirement to be away from Thailand before return? Is it possible to exit and re-enter the same day, or must one be away for a certain number of days?

Thanks, and sorry if I am repeating questions asked elsewhere.

• Like 2

First of all, getting it was incredibly easy. I only needed to present my Passport, copy of itinerary (showing stay of 3 months), and application form. No other questions asked, no bank account or employment queries, visa given to me on the spot, done in 10 minutes (although my presence via an advance appointment was required). Easiest $200 Thailand has ever made.

Second observation/discovery. Apparently the Thai government is promoting use of U-Tapao (Pattaya/Sattahip) airport, and offering reduced landing fees to airlines using it for international service through September 2016. The result is bargain fares; UTP - Singapore or Kuala Lumpur as low as 890TB via Air Asia! Great "visa run" gateway.

Now my questions.

I had heard that in the past crossing the border by road resulted in an entry valid for only 15 days. Using an METV with one entry against it, will I get an additional 60 days as the result of a land crossing? Any difference between entering by air or road with an METV?

Also, is there a time requirement to be away from Thailand before return? Is it possible to exit and re-enter the same day, or must one be away for a certain number of days?

Thanks, and sorry if I am repeating questions asked elsewhere.

It does not matter if you do the entry by land, sea or air you will always get a 60 day entry as long as you do it on or before the enter before date on your visa.

No need to be out of the any longer than it takes to cross a border, turnaround and come back.

Great news, that's Australia, Canada and the US, maybe other countries will relax the requirements soon too.

• Like 1