The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I have been asked for outbound flight evidence by immigration at bkk.

But even before that at LAX they make you show a return flight.

I always have one but asked the ANA agent what if I did not.

He told me I could board the flight out until I showed evidence of a return.

Another "rumour"

"Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry."

Who told you this totally unfounded nonsense ?

Actually, that has long been the official rule that can, in theory, be enforced. The fact that immigration has chosen to show the common sense to waive this requirement (except when they want an excuse to deny entry) does not change that. If asked, the consulate is really obliged to quote the official rule. Anyway, if you do not have an outbound ticket, the airline might prevent you traveling.

I was granted METV today at Liverpool consulate.

Took 10 minutes and then come back in 20 minutes to collect.

Painless process

I provided:

ISA savings account

Self assessment form

Flight into Thailand (one way)

Hotel reservation

Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry.

Another "rumour"

"Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry."

Who told you this totally unfounded nonsense ?

Not unfounded. Every airline I have flown with will not issue a boarding pass without a flight out. This is only for visa exempt. If you have say a tourist visa then no problem

If anyone, who does not work, has received an METV from The Los Angeles Honorary Consulate I would appreciate hearing your experience and what the requirements were.

Thanks

The consulate in LA is not a honorary consulate. It is an official Thai consulate.

List of honorary consulates in the US with contact info is here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

If anyone, who does not work, has received an METV from The Los Angeles Honorary Consulate I would appreciate hearing your experience and what the requirements were.

Thanks

I got mine from there last month and am in LOS now.

The website is self explanatory.

How old are you? I am older and just put retired.

If not, send them an email and ask they got back to me within 24 hours.

Thanks

I am older. One requirement listed is note from employer. I don't have one. Am retired.

Can you please PM me with the email. Bernard, the farang who works, there told me to email or call him. But received no answer. Happy to hear you got a response. Maybe you used a different email address.

My problem with METV is that I have most of my liquidity in Singapore bank and brokerage accounts, but I am from Europe where I don't hold too much cash only own property. Moreover, in between jobs now so could use this visa to stay in Thailand and occasionally travel to SG and Malaysia to meet up with friends. So I have the time and the money, but no employment in Europe or EP pass in Singapore. A single entry visa is not quite okay for me as I would want to travel more frequently than 60 days.

SG embassy is adamant that I need to have an employment pass to apply, otherwise only single entry visa.

Melbourne would be okay, but I guess they don't want too many precedents and tend to redirect me to SG, but that's back to square one.

Perth now explicitly says that I need to have permanent residency down under to apply. (In spite of the requirements on their form) So an eVisitor (subclass 651) won't do.

Feel like a bit cornered. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you can't get a METV anywhere you could always buy/use a re-entry permit to keep your 60 day SETV entries alive.

Can I use the multiple re-entry permit with the 60 day SETV? Ie. obtain the SETV, get it extended and then apply the multiple re-entry? Thanks.

By the way it is the absurdness of the employment requirements that upsets me. Practically no employer will let you go on a 6 month vacation...

• You could but it's unlikely to be cost effective or practical. They cost 3,800 baht and are only valid for the remaining duration of your original 60 day stay or the 30 day extension. Single re-entries are 1,000 baht.
  • You will only be able to extend the SETV stay within the last week or so. You can buy a re-entry permit that would cover the 30 day extension, but if you qualify for visa exempt entry it would be better to use that to re-enter or get a new SETV while out of the country.

I understand why you are upset, but plenty of people are able to take 6 months off work or from their businesses or are retired. The reason most countries ask for employment details is to demonstrate a reason for the tourist to go home after their trip. As I'm sure you know many people have used the tourist visa as a way to stay long term which isn't really it's function, and IMO part of the reason for change is to cut down on the numbers of tourists staying long term.

There is no limit on the overall number of SETV's you can have although individual embassies/consulates will have limits. So as long as you are prepared to apply in different countries you can still stay using SETV's, visa exempt entries and the occasional re-entry permit when practical.

"but plenty of people are able to take 6 months off work or from their businesses".......

.......Like who???

...........I haven't met too many Uni. professors or GPs on sabbaticals here! Not quite their cup of tea!

The only ones I can think of are seasonal workers or business owners in the tourist trade, and the seasonal workers would be unemployed out of season anyway.

My problem with METV is that I have most of my liquidity in Singapore bank and brokerage accounts, but I am from Europe where I don't hold too much cash only own property. Moreover, in between jobs now so could use this visa to stay in Thailand and occasionally travel to SG and Malaysia to meet up with friends. So I have the time and the money, but no employment in Europe or EP pass in Singapore. A single entry visa is not quite okay for me as I would want to travel more frequently than 60 days.

SG embassy is adamant that I need to have an employment pass to apply, otherwise only single entry visa.

Melbourne would be okay, but I guess they don't want too many precedents and tend to redirect me to SG, but that's back to square one.

Perth now explicitly says that I need to have permanent residency down under to apply. (In spite of the requirements on their form) So an eVisitor (subclass 651) won't do.

Feel like a bit cornered. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you can't get a METV anywhere you could always buy/use a re-entry permit to keep your 60 day SETV entries alive.

Can I use the multiple re-entry permit with the 60 day SETV? Ie. obtain the SETV, get it extended and then apply the multiple re-entry? Thanks.

By the way it is the absurdness of the employment requirements that upsets me. Practically no employer will let you go on a 6 month vacation...

• You could but it's unlikely to be cost effective or practical. They cost 3,800 baht and are only valid for the remaining duration of your original 60 day stay or the 30 day extension. Single re-entries are 1,000 baht.
  • You will only be able to extend the SETV stay within the last week or so. You can buy a re-entry permit that would cover the 30 day extension, but if you qualify for visa exempt entry it would be better to use that to re-enter or get a new SETV while out of the country.
I understand why you are upset, but plenty of people are able to take 6 months off work or from their businesses or are retired. The reason most countries ask for employment details is to demonstrate a reason for the tourist to go home after their trip. As I'm sure you know many people have used the tourist visa as a way to stay long term which isn't really it's function, and IMO part of the reason for change is to cut down on the numbers of tourists staying long term.

There is no limit on the overall number of SETV's you can have although individual embassies/consulates will have limits. So as long as you are prepared to apply in different countries you can still stay using SETV's, visa exempt entries and the occasional re-entry permit when practical.

"but plenty of people are able to take 6 months off work or from their businesses".......

.......Like who???

...........I haven't met too many Uni. professors or GPs on sabbaticals here! Not quite their cup of tea!

The only ones I can think of are seasonal workers or business owners in the tourist trade, and the seasonal workers would be unemployed out of season anyway.

Which world you from. My two sons work very hard earn heaps then travel for year or two. The playing field has changed. Your living in your antiquated view if lives.

• Like 1

I was granted METV today at Liverpool consulate.

Took 10 minutes and then come back in 20 minutes to collect.

Painless process

I provided:

ISA savings account

Self assessment form

Flight into Thailand (one way)

Hotel reservation

Just a Note - I was told ALL visa exempts 30 days now have to show proof of exit from Thailand to immigration officer on entry.

Thats good news that they didnt expect 5k to be sitting in a current account for 6 mths.

What evidence did you provide for the ISA account?

What was your employment status on your self-assessment form?

When I come to Thailand for the 6 winter months I usually have a return flight. In future it looks like I will have to come on a SETV and then go out and in to get one or two more to cover my 6 months. When I arrive on the 1st SE I wonder if they will accept my flight out 4 months beyond it's expiry?

Which world you from. My two sons work very hard earn heaps then travel for year or two. The playing field has changed. Your living in your antiquated view if lives.

I did the same when I first travelled abroad, but once I went travelling I was no longer employed.

Who is employing your sons for the 2 years while they are away? I dont know any UK company that would do that paying insurance contributions to the government for 2 yrs..

Edited by SunsetT

I did the same when I first travelled abroad, but once I went travelling I was no longer employed.

Who is employing your sons for the 2 years while they are away? I dont know any UK company that would do that paying insurance contributions to the government for 2 yrs..

Previously ME. Now they have their own gig. Today. World includes DN and so many others that don't fit the METV rubbish requirements.

Previously ME. Now they have their own gig. Today. World includes DN and so many others that don't fit the METV rubbish requirements.

I thought so! Irrelevant as they didnt require any employer evidence then but I suppose daddy could have provided any documents required, unlike a 'normal' employer who would not be so keen to write a letter if they knew their staff were going to disappear for 6 months. 'Now they have their own gig ' I assume means that they are now self-employed and again irrelevant as that will satisfy METV requirements. So apart from doing your best to insult me you have still not given any constructive examples from the 'Real' world of the many employed people who can take 6 months off.

Edited by SunsetT

Thanks

I am older. One requirement listed is note from employer. I don't have one. Am retired.

Can you please PM me with the email. Bernard, the farang who works, there told me to email or call him. But received no answer. Happy to hear you got a response. Maybe you used a different email address.

Same dude. He got back to me twice within 24 hours.

Did you use the general email for the Consulate or his personal email? I used the personal one and he never got back to me. Can you please PM the one you used. I will try it.

So not having a job was not a problem?

I am retired. I showed them nothing. He told me to just put "retired" in the box.

No questions or problems.

I PM you his mail.

Thanks

he's a good guy, maybe busy, try again

Are people experiencing the same stringent requirements with the single-entry visas? Or are those still as easy to get as ever?

Stringent how? Because they would prefer people who have a job and a little money in the bank?

It's stringent in that the Liverpool, UK Consulate require six months consecutive statements (nor printouts) where I've binned mine for years.

It's stringent in that at 62 I can't comply with the requirement to supply a letter from my employer (I've been "lucky" to be medically retired)

It's stringent in that they require a photocopy of the hotel booking - not a printout of the email, or if I owned a condo!

It's stringent in that you have to comply with ALL of their requirements.

• Like 1

Are people experiencing the same stringent requirements with the single-entry visas? Or are those still as easy to get as ever?

Stringent how? Because they would prefer people who have a job and a little money in the bank?

Um, yes. "How" should be obvious. By every definition, the new requirements are stringent compared to the old requirements. And as for people who have jobs to which they would return, well, most of those are presumably people would be best served by SETVs. So it's pretty obvious to most people the METV is not desired by only those who have a job and money in the bank, and the new rules are indeed more stringent to anyone who wants the METV.

Um, yes. "How" should be obvious. By every definition, the new requirements are stringent compared to the old requirements. And as for people who have jobs to which they would return, well, most of those are presumably people would be best served by SETVs. So it's pretty obvious to most people the METV is not desired by only those who have a job and money in the bank, and the new rules are indeed more stringent to anyone who wants the METV.

Not sure if it was earlier in this thread or an earlier one, but somebody posted about the METV being of great value to people from countries like India & China that need to get a Visa on Arrival (I.e. Pay the 1000b & get a sticker in their passport) & could have been conceived to encourage them to visit more/for longer (maybe using Thailand as a base to visit other countries in the region) though it seems at the same time they're doubling the VOA to 2000b (maybe to encourage a "Better Class of Tourist" from these countries).

I do know that if I accept a new project in Singapore & so get a new Long Term Pass, I'll pick one of these up from the Embassy there (no problem with the funds in the bank there) as I do visit Thailand for a few days around 8-10 times a year & hopefully this will enable me to open a Bank account so I can seed the money for the Non-O retirement).

Edited by JB300

It's stringent in that the Liverpool, UK Consulate require six months consecutive statements (nor printouts) where I've binned mine for years.

It's stringent in that at 62 I can't comply with the requirement to supply a letter from my employer (I've been "lucky" to be medically retired)

It's stringent in that they require a photocopy of the hotel booking - not a printout of the email, or if I owned a condo!

easyride

You appear to have confused the single-entry tourist visa which JepSoDii was referring to with the multi-entry tourist visa whose conditions you seem to be referring to.

You may need to go back and look again at the application process.

• Like 1

easyride

You appear to have confused the single-entry tourist visa which JepSoDii was referring to with the multi-entry tourist visa whose conditions you seem to be referring to.

You may need to go back and look again at the application process.

I also thought JepSoDii was referring to the Multi-Entry as he mentioned funds & a job, proof of which are only required for the METV.