What happens if I die?

// just make a will on plain paper in your own handwriting and have it witnessed.

This is known as a holographic will and it is recognized in Thai law.

I don't think Thailand requires witnesses for a holographic will ??

Better, sure, but not mandatory.

// just make a will on plain paper in your own handwriting and have it witnessed.

Correct. Not required but highly recommended.

Still, let me say again, there's rarely an excuse not to have a will properly crafted by a lawyer.

I have a friend with nearly a million dollars in Thai assets and it took me 4 years to get him to set up a Thai will. A lot of people just don't want to face it, think it's too grim.

Correct. Not required but highly recommended.

Still, let me say again, there's rarely an excuse not to have a will properly crafted by a lawyer.

I have a friend with nearly a million dollars in Thai assets and it took me 4 years to get him to set up a Thai will. A lot of people just don't want to face it, think it's too grim.

Your friend is not typical of expats in Thailand.

Horses for courses.

Use ATM card for withdrawal to drain the account. I also have a very substantial amount in Thai baht and US$ in a secure location on our property that only my wife has access to. No, not under the mattress or the closet safety box. Should be adequate for the months until the will is properly settled, whence she gets everything.

Use ATM card for withdrawal to drain the account. I also have a very substantial amount in Thai baht and US$ in a secure location on our property that only my wife has access to. No, not under the mattress or the closet safety box. Should be adequate for the months until the will is properly settled, whence she gets everything.

A bank account in her name would conceivably achieve the same objective.

I forgot to mention that my bank account is a deposit account. Does anyone know if a savings account in my name only is acceptable by immigration?

It have to be a saving account, a deposit account is not accepted, here in Hua-hin, I can't speak for other districts .

I have a joint account with my wife and a single account in my name only.

She has a debit card for each account so getting money out will be no problem.

What MAY be a problem in the future when I die is that my pensions are paid into the joint account and still will be.

I am just wondering if KBank will leave the account in the joint name or whether she will have to open an account in her name only.

I assume you are talking about a Pension paid to your widow.

The Thai authorities are legally bound to notify your Embassy in the event of death, who in turn notify your government, who in turn notify your Pension providers..

You need to talk to the KBank. For the sake of Pension payments it would be easier for your spouse to be able to just take over the account.

Alternatively have a sole account for the purpose of funds for Immigration, and have a joint account where funds are transferred.

Make a Will to cover both accounts and other assets.

I believe that only DWP get advised - private pension providers do not.

I think it depends on the circumstances Jip.

DWP will notify HMRC and if tax is being paid from a private/company pension, they notify the provider.

It takes longer and two or three payments may be paid before it's stopped.

It's also another reason why Pension providers are sending out annual forms to make sure your not deceased.

Personally, I'd like my partner to be able to squeeze every last drop of blood she could from the b"""""""!

They're never going to be able to reclaim it back from a Thai in Thailand.

The cost would exceed the overpayments.

• Like 1

I have a joint account with my wife and a single account in my name only.

She has a debit card for each account so getting money out will be no problem.

What MAY be a problem in the future when I die is that my pensions are paid into the joint account and still will be.

I am just wondering if KBank will leave the account in the joint name or whether she will have to open an account in her name only.

I assume you are talking about a Pension paid to your widow.

The Thai authorities are legally bound to notify your Embassy in the event of death, who in turn notify your government, who in turn notify your Pension providers..

You need to talk to the KBank. For the sake of Pension payments it would be easier for your spouse to be able to just take over the account.

Alternatively have a sole account for the purpose of funds for Immigration, and have a joint account where funds are transferred.

Make a Will to cover both accounts and other assets.

I believe that only DWP get advised - private pension providers do not.

I think it depends on the circumstances Jip.

DWP will notify HMRC and if tax is being paid from a private/company pension, they notify the provider.

It takes longer and two or three payments may be paid before it's stopped.

It's also another reason why Pension providers are sending out annual forms to make sure your not deceased.

Personally, I'd like my partner to be able to squeeze every last drop of blood she could from the b"""""""!

They're never going to be able to reclaim it back from a Thai in Thailand.

The cost would exceed the overpayments.

Agree 100% with that sentiment Faz.

With the DWP it doesn't really matter as there is no continuing benefit for the widow. They are obviously advised via the embassy and over-payments are likely to be minimal. I can see that the 'one stop advise' principal will see HMRC advised.

However, with private pension providers any over-payments could be recovered as part of the claim for widows benefits. Legally, I would suggest it is separate - any over-payments are the liability of the deceased's estate and if the estate is bare that should be the end of it, Payments to a widow are to a totally different legal identity.

As you say, ensuring that our partners maximise what they can get is the prime objective - especially now the ba******! have robbed our future widows of their bereavement benefits.