How to ask simply " can I "

bookie baitface

How about ได้ไ verbs in series?

One possibility is that it is simply analogy, as in Western European "I have lost my shoe". If you've lost your shoe, you no longer have it! The other possibility is that there is an implied noun for the objective or means, e.g. ได้ช้างไปเชียงใหม่ 'took an elephant to Chiang Mai' as an extreme example.

A very extreme example I agree. So, I think of ได้ as showing possession of the verb, and you see ได้ as being on a time line.

I find it fascinating that : 'I have lost my shoe' means no more than 'I lost my shoe'. 'My shoe is lost' 'I can't find my shoe'Thai says so much more: ผมทำให้รองเท้าอันหนึ่งหายไปแลว I make allow shoe one of lose go done. The reason for all those words is English albeit now adopted Thai I think.

รองเท้าผมอันหนึ่งหาย Shoe me one of disappear. The verb shows the present state 'not present/can't be seen/looked for and not found, ' implies an event in the past. There is no need for หายไปแล้ว.

Edit: I forgot to mention the obvious English : ผมทำให้... I have lost...

I am reading children's stories in the hope that I will be able to identify some of the convolutions which have taken place in common parlance and discount them.

example:

ลูกวัวตัวหนึ่งเดินเล่นไกลออกมาจากฝูงของมัน ในที่สุตมันถูกสิงโตจับตัวได้

I can't make much of ได้ but I am hoping that it is essential. I am saying that ได้ shows that capture is inevitable whereas ถูดสิงโตจับตัว is final; the next paragraph the calf pleads for his life, could he do that after ถูกจับตัว?

Good formal words both ' to allow' 'to forbid' but I wouldn't use them except when dealing with people in authority, or with me being in authority. To know whether being polite to people In authority means "you are my master etc." One would need to be able to see it used in context. A ไหว้ for instance may mean that to a foreigner but I assure you that it doesn't to a Thai person.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with correctly pronouncing these syllables whistling.gif

To the best I know:

dai (dye) has four different meanings depending on tone.

mai (my) at least four different meanings depending on tone.

Some funny mixups possible.

For me it comes just after all permutations of kao, khao biggrin.png

Transcription form thai2english.com:

ข้าว kâao rice

เก้า gâo nine

เก่า gào [to be] old ; former ; previous

เข่า kào knee

เข้า kâo enter ; reach ; get into

ข่าว kàao news ; information

ก้าว gâao progress ; step forward

คาว kaao [to be] fishy ; stinking ; smelly

เกา gao scratch ; scrape

เขา kăo he ; she ; him ; her ; they ; them

Sorry for posting on an old thread. I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in, but I thought I'd clarify one item:

Regarding เก่า to be old - that would only really apply to an item - say a car or a pen. Antiques is ของเก่า - "old things"

If it was a person you were referring to, then you would use แก่

Archived