Corruption in Phuket Immigration

Today Nov 16 I had a very nasty experience in Phuket Town Immigration. I was and should have papers for renewal of my driving license for a car, Delivered all papers that were 100% correct.

Then the Immigrations officers want to have 300 Bath and I said ok but give me a receipt for this should be free.

Then he saw me in the eye and asked if I wanted to make trouble, and I say no give me a receipt and i give you the 300 Bath so everything is okay, the I was thrown out of Immigration.

Finally I paid now receipt and got my paper so I get a new driving license but this is supposed to be free.

Are there are some places I can file a complaint about Immigration in Phuket Town they are back and steal money from tourists like before.

• Like 2

Yes you can report these bad guys, and plse do it....

Somebody will soon post here and give you the phonenumber.

Had the very same problem up in Khon Kaen for 4 years ago, but that guy were quickly kicked out of his job at Khon Kaen Immigration.... He also stole money from falang.

Good luck

Glegolo

I presume you meant you got certificates of residency from imagration to renew or get a driving licence. Some imagration offices do these free some charge I was charged for mine in Pattaya 300 bht isn't breaking the bank and if you got a recite is that coruption

Edited by Sutty

My guess is that this is for the 'certificate of residence' which is required when you go to get a drivers license.

They charge 500 Baht for these in Hua Hin.

I have no idea if this is an official charge or goes into someones slush fund but it would be interesting to find out.

My guess is that this is for the 'certificate of residence' which is required when you go to get a drivers license.

I have no idea if this is an official charge or goes into someones slush fund but it would be interesting to find out.

I would imagine this is a set statutory fee amount...seeing that Pattaya charges B 300 I'd say it's a good bet the extra 200 baht is going into the New Year's bonus pool (unless they give receipts for B 500).

I paid 500 at Khon Kaen in 2011.

Didn't think a second about it.

Maybe I was too prepared for tea money wink.png

Luckily I didn't need another res. cert. for the motorcycle license this year.

DLT was happy with the yellow housebook (which I didn't have in 2011).

Unfortunately another case where one office does different from the other (do not accept y.h.b.).

• Like 1

There are more threads about this than about food in Thailand. Normally they make one or two pages because anyone (me included) wants to to keep flogging the dead horse. Let's see how this one goes.

• Like 2

if you are complainig about the 300B for certification of residency, i would not be surprised very soon it will be 500B like at some other immigration offices now....the reason why I am getting a yellow book.

I hope the yellow book will replace cert of residency, last friday I already paid 300B for a cert of residency for getting the yellow book :)

Edited by Thailand J

if you are complainig about the 300B for certification of residency, i would not be surprised very soon it will be 500B like at some other immigration offices now....the reason why I am getting a yellow book.

This dokument It`s free you don`under stand that.

• Like 2

A Proof of Residence is free of charge anywhere in Thailand's immigration offices.. You've been had. Go back to the Phuket Immigration office and ask to speak to Colonel Sunchai Chokkakaijij. He recently advised the Phuket News that if any person is asked to pay a fee for the POR letter he wants to know about it. He moved several officers from the Patong Immigration Office recently for the same reason.

If anyone tells you he is away or too busy, ask to speak to the Inspector. Khun Lek. For the other person commenting that a fee of 500 baht is charged in Hua Hin, I suggest you go back and ask to speak to the OIC about your experience.

Good luck with that. Very often complaining to someone above only makes sure he got his share of the take :)

This dokument It`s free you.

• Like 1

I renew my license at the Ministry of Transport, I think that is what it is called, never been to Immigration to renew a drivers licence but I do not live in Phuket.

You must have a certificates of residency one paper from Immigration to get a driver license ore renew , and this dokument are free.

• Like 2

This dokument It`s free you don`under stand that.

I cursed when I was leaving Jomtein immigration last Fri for paying 300B for a piece of paper. I agree it should be free. How do they get away with it? I remember sometime ago someone on TV explained since this service is not on the list of immigration services, they consider this extra work and decided to charge without receipt. I am not saying this is right.

Since 8 years ago I have been paying 200B for each at JOmtein, it went up to 300B lately.

Edited by Thailand J

Driving License is not renewed at Immigration but Dept of Transport. If you have the correct papers, including the medical certificate, follow the process, there is no problem. I have renewed mine several times. There is a fee to pay but no extra and never have been asked for any extra. For immigration procedures, simply do the same. If your papers are wrong or you are impolite, don't expect any help.........

I never had to pay a bribe to get things done if you follow the rules.

• Like 1

As was mentioned there is no mention of it on the official charge sheet ..

As it's not on the official charge sheet then it's not a guaranteed service and open to interpretation by every office.

So your right about the corruption, 300b and no receipt !! Take it to the general.

How about my local office, where you can't walk in from the street and request a CoR - they don't issue them. The procedure is I ride 30km to the DLT, get a letter requesting to confirm my address, pay 20b ( no receipt ) then ride 35km to immigration, hand the letter, evidence of my wife's home, wait 24 hours - then return, another 5km then ride another 35km to process the papers and another 30km home.

Other offices don't issue them at all .. 300b .. Just pay it.

However - there is a good post about speaking to his superior - try something proactive rather than moan on here.

Edited by recom273

If you don't like paying a modest sum of 300 bht for a certificate them move to an area that doesn't charge KK doesn't. Personally I would indeed have paid for said certificates before no hassle no arguments in and out don't care if it's supposed to be free or not there's a lot of things in this world that are supposed to be free but your charged for

• Like 1

You can obtain a Cert of Residency from your Embassy or Consulate. That's what Hubby and I do here in Chiang Mai, where Immigration charges 500 baht, plus we have to pay for transportation to Immigration's Promenada office twice -- once to submit the application and again the next day to pick up the application. So, that means that we have a choice of spending about 1500 baht to get the Cert of Res. at CM Immigration or paying the U.S. Consulate $50 and we can get there with a cheap 20 baht song thaew or, in the case of Hubby, he walks.

Yes, I know the U.S. Consulate is a little more expensive but at least we get a receipt and we aren't supporting corruption. Plus, we make an appointment on-line and receive the Cert. of Residency within a few minutes of arrival.

• Like 2

Driving License is not renewed at Immigration but Dept of Transport. If you have the correct papers, including the medical certificate, follow the process, there is no problem. I have renewed mine several times. There is a fee to pay but no extra and never have been asked for any extra. For immigration procedures, simply do the same. If your papers are wrong or you are impolite, don't expect any help.........

D of T Pattaya won't issue a driving licence without a letter of residence from immigration. It's seems they could have a little scam going on between them but I could be wrong (for anyone monitoring).

One thing, last time I went for my car and motorbike 5 year licences, they accepted an original letter from immig plus photocopy. Unless things have changed, don't let immig flog you two letters, double the cost of the 'free' letter.

This was all five years back so treat it as a warning to be on your toes rather than taking it for gospel.

If you don't like paying a modest sum of 300 bht for a certificate them move to an area that doesn't charge KK doesn't. Personally I would indeed have paid for said certificates before no hassle no arguments in and out don't care if it's supposed to be free or not there's a lot of things in this world that are supposed to be free but your charged for

In our immigration office for a few years they did not even want to give it even paid for so I had no choice as to go to the embassy and pay a lot more. I rather pay a bit less (even though its corruption) and get it done close by.

• Like 2

D of T Pattaya won't issue a driving licence without a letter of residence from immigration. It's seems they could have a little scam going on between them but I could be wrong (for anyone monitoring).

One thing, last time I went for my car and motorbike 5 year licences, they accepted an original letter from immig plus photocopy. Unless things have changed, don't let immig flog you two letters, double the cost of the 'free' letter.

This was all five years back so treat it as a warning to be on your toes rather than taking it for gospel.

Same as in BKK no scam, just regulations.

You can obtain a Cert of Residency from your Embassy or Consulate.

Yes, I know the U.S. Consulate is a little more expensive but at least we get a receipt and we aren't supporting corruption. Plus, we make an appointment on-line and receive the Cert. of Residency within a few minutes of arrival.

I think that yellow book is enough: BTW, my embassy ( France ) makes it for free

for corruption, two years ago there were two corrupted officers in Hua hin immigration, they are not here anymore, maybe somebody complained but I think that in HH , apart the 90 days, you have to pay for everything else but they are nice and work fast

In Phuket you are required to have a Certificate of Residence to get or renew your DL and to register your vehicle. DOT sends you to Immigration. This happened just last week to the guy who was buying my car. This document is only available at Phuket Immigration and it is supposed to be free of charge. However they charge 300 baht. I suppose that if you are a glutton for pain and have plenty of time and are willing to suffer the blowback you can complain. I have paid the 300 baht in the past. I just consider it a facilitation charge or a tip for fast service. In my twelve years of going to Phuket Immigration I have had only one serious problem with a certain officer. I protested long and loud but was overruled by the OIC. However the next time I went a few months later that officer had 'retired'. On one occasion I had a problem with an expired Work Permit resulting in an incorrect visa (my fault) with a potential fine of 20K. The officer counseled me to get out of Thailand immediately and get a new visa to avoid the fine. I was on the van to Penang that evening. Over all I am happy with my interaction with Phuket Immigration. My last Visa extension was only ten to fifteen minutes. I have heard that the new Khon Khean office is squeaky clean and efficient. Good to know as I will be moving up that way next year.

I would imagine this is a set statutory fee amount...seeing that Pattaya charges B 300 I'd say it's a good bet the extra 200 baht is going into the New Year's bonus pool (unless they give receipts for B 500).

And you suppose wrong.

The statutory fee for a Certificate of Residence from Immigration is zero, i.e., free. It has been a source of graft in many Immigration offices, with the boldest thieving IOs asking for 500, and 100 baht "for postage" at the low end, in my experience.

One of the reasons that there are more and more negative encounters with IOs is that they are under more scrutiny, and generally pissed off that they can't add tea money to services as easily as before. In the past, it was an extra purple note for most anything you needed, with a smile...

The residence cert appears to be a service where 'unofficial' charges are still condoned by the bosses.

• Like 1

You can use a yellow book from your house or a work permit as proof of residency when applying for your drivers licence. As the licence also becomes a useable document for proof of who you are it is right that they check where you reside before giving it. If you don't have either of these you have to obtain a proof of residency from immigration or your embassy.

I think issuing these is a thorn in the side for immigration as officially it's a free service (I'm told) and they are very busy.

They make you pay a small charge to cover the paperchase. Usually 300 thb. I know someone that recently refused to pay and didn't have to. However making your name known as a Kee Neow farang in immigration is not wise.

• Like 2

Regardless of how much the requested fee is, if you dont get a receipt then it is not an official fee and is a scam. It's as simple as that. If I were in the RTP I would be thoroughly ashamed of this nasty bit of blatant corruption.

Worth pointing out that all police stations and city halls are competent to issue residence certificates (which are simply letters saying that Mr X lives at address Y), though not all of them know it or want to know it. Prices in these offices are, unsurprisingly, much lower (a few 10s of Baht) or, in many cases, free.