Phuket water woes strike at heart of residents

rooster59

Phuket water woes strike at heart of residents

post-247607-0-82174400-1448081009_thumb.

Many residents in Wichit are relying on water trucks to save the day. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Residents in the eastern reaches of Wichit, southeast of Phuket Town, are on forced water rations, and many relying on the water delivery trucks to bring relief to their homes.

The news comes Just four weeks ago Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada publicly announced there was enough water on the island for everyone until the next rainy season arrives in May next year. (See story here.)

Phuket Vice Governor Dr Prachiad Aksornthamakul, who sits on the provincial water supply committee, this week called on everyone across the island to keep reserves of at least 200 litres of water in their homes in “case of emergency”.

In Wichit, that “emergency” occurs all too often, with entire residential areas having their water mains supply redirected to serve other nearby areas on rotation, confirmed Chatchai Meechai, chief of the PWA’s water management division.

“There is not enough water pressure to ensure water supply consistently reaches homes all along Cape Panwa,” he said.

“We do the best we can, and we only reduce water pressure – not shut it off – every two days, so that one area, such as Khao Khad, has consistent pressure for two days, then the next area, say the end of Cape Panwa, has consistent pressure the next two days.”

Comments from residents however, many of which are regularly posted on the PWA’s Facebook page, indicate that the “reduced” water pressure means there is not enough pressure for water to pour from taps, effectively leaving the home with no running water at all.

CLOSE TO HOME

The effect is not only at the far reaches of Cape Panwa. Residents along Sakdidet Rd and even on Pattana Thongtin Rd, but also within a few hundred meters of the Wichit Municipality main office, are often without water.

Sakkamol Khawillaikul, chairman of the Wichit Municipal Council, knowns the problem well. “This issue is not new. We have been struggling with this for some time,” he said candidly.

“There is not enough water for people in Wichit, simply because the water mains pipes are too small and the increasing number of accommodations and residents in the area.

“We always follow up this issue and try to provide enough water for everybody and the PWA always respond the best they can – as the water supply pipes are their responsibility – but we still don’t have enough water.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-water-woes-strike-at-heart-of-residents-55048.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-21

Sitution normal for Nanai, Patong homes - we have been buying water from trucks for many years ...

Piss Poor Planning ... (as in no planning)

There never has been any planning. It's always an after the fact reaction. After they allowed all the drainage canals to be filled in, oh my, there's flooding! Allow building on steep slopes and have mud slides. A few more construction workers die. Still nothing done... Water, garbage and sewer, no thought, just build more... Amazing, eh?

It is the governments responsibility to construct catchment basins to ensure adequate supplies. Where is the taxpayers money going? This is a very basic requirement in any civilization. There is plenty of rain in Phuket, but the government let the public down with inadequate planning.same thing with waste disposal. There is a serious lack of planning here. Why don't the people demand basic services. It's unbelievable in this modern day for this to occur.

There never has been any planning. It's always an after the fact reaction. After they allowed all the drainage canals to be filled in, oh my, there's flooding! Allow building on steep slopes and have mud slides. A few more construction workers die. Still nothing done... Water, garbage and sewer, no thought, just build more... Amazing, eh?

You do know that they are building a big reservoir over by Phunaka golf course, right?

Been working on it for at least 7 years now.

It will be almost as big as Bang Wad dam. (which they made 3 meters higher over the last 3 years)

So, someone is thinking ahead.

The problem in this case appears to be pipes being too small.

Sounds like a fairly easy fix. At least compared to a dam with a circumference of 5kms.

You do know that they are building a big reservoir over by Phunaka golf course, right?

Been working on it for at least 7 years now.

It will be almost as big as Bang Wad dam. (which they made 3 meters higher over the last 3 years)

So, someone is thinking ahead.

The problem in this case appears to be pipes being too small.

Sounds like a fairly easy fix. At least compared to a dam with a circumference of 5kms.

I have to admit, I must have missed that! I have a bore well on my leased chanote land and house. We've luckily never been short of water in the over ten years here. I guess I should go out and look at the well level.