Longer delays at Phuket PLTO for new driving licences

rooster59

Longer delays at Phuket PLTO for new driving licences

post-247607-0-10107200-1448089637_thumb.

People wanting to take their test for a new driving licence at the PLTO can expect to wait around three months to sit the test.

PHUKET: It has been revealed that those in Phuket wanting to apply for new motorbike or car driving licence can expect to wait around three months before sitting their test.

The delays were confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday (Nov 20) by a member of staff at the Phuket land Transport Office (PLTO) who said that people that applied to take a test yesterday have been told they will have to return on Feburary 2, 2016, to watch the training video and take their test.

The PLTO staff member, who asked not to be named, said that they delays are due to such a high volume of people wanting to get licences and that the waiting time is getting longer and longer.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/longer-delays-at-phuket-plto-for-new-driving-licences-55068.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-21

No doubt a few Baht in the right pocket will cure the problem. Definitely will go up from our local "bypass the whole system fee" here, in the rice paddies, of 750 - 1000 Baht. Have no idea what it is in the high population markets.

I'm remembering a similar thread some 12 months ago!

Edited by bdenner

Hundreds of government staff in Phuket travel to work everyday. Sign their name, turn around and either go back home or to their other 'employment'.

When will government institutions acknowledge transport as a serious issue? The driving test isn't realistic, the perspective test, breaking test and theory tests are archaic.

If you have the right 'connection' the vehicle inspection test can be bypassed. With 12500 recorded road fatalities per annum it's baffling no one has the tars to stand up and do something about it. Inshallah.

No doubt a few Baht in the right pocket will cure the problem. Definitely will go up from our local "bypass the whole system fee" here, in the rice paddies, of 750 - 1000 Baht. Have no idea what it is in the high population markets.

No.

No.

Although, much worse now. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/831648-long-waits-ahead-for-drivers-licenses-in-phuket/?hl=%2Bdriving+%2Blicence

maybe you go another province where it is less busy. Maybe Phang Nga might be an option, not sure. I renewed my driving license last month in a different province than where I staty and it took me less than 1 hour. Just a thought. Obviously if you need to drive for hours just for this it doesn't make sense but maybe you are travelling somewhere on business anyway and can get this done somewhere not busy.

No doubt a few Baht in the right pocket will cure the problem.

No.

Actually yes. From the whole article:

For those who dont want to wait, there is further option. The recently opened Chotima Driving School offers a five hour training course once a week with a small fee. Once youve completed the course, you can go the PLTO to do the exam.

Though I don't see how that school can process more people with one course per week than the PLTO who do 70 per day.

No.

For those who dont want to wait, there is further option. The recently opened Chotima Driving School offers a five hour training course once a week with a small fee. Once youve completed the course, you can go the PLTO to do the exam.

Though I don't see how that school can process more people with one course per week than the PLTO who do 70 per day.
Which is not the same as a bribe.

So still no.

So still no.

Who said bribe?
You. 'A few baht in the right pocket will cure the problem'.

Thai's can't differentiate between a "bribe" and a "tip." biggrin.png

Exactly correct NKM - Thais consider 'extra' money a tip or gratuity for a more efficient service. And even Thais themselves are happy to pay this tip, indeed they expect to pay money for amore speedy no questions service.

No.

A clearer understanding of the situation can be gained by reading this article;

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-big-changes-made-to-driving-test-system-50463.php

So still no.

Who said bribe?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills, stevenl. It wasn't me who said that.

A clearer understanding of the situation can be gained by reading this article;

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-big-changes-made-to-driving-test-system-50463.php

Thanks, that article explains the situation a whole lot better indeed. So shifting the learning and tests to the other school frees them up to do more renewals. That makes sense.

So still no.

Who said bribe?

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension skills, stevenl. It wasn't me who said that.

No, just difficult to check things on the TV app.

Doesn't really matter anyway, somebody said a bribe would solve all, to which which I reacted because that is clearly not the case.

Edited by stevenl