David Cameron offers France immediate assistance in its Syrian air campaign

webfact

David Cameron offers France immediate assistance in its Syrian air campaign
By Robert Hackwill

606x341_317571.jpg

PARIS: -- British Prime Minister David Cameron has been to Paris for breakfast and talks with French President Francois Hollande.

Cameron visited the Bataclan in the French capital, scene of the worst loss of life during the Paris attacks, where he laid a rose with Hollande.

Then the two men went to the Elysée palace for discussions, at France’s request, on how to put together a coalition to fight ISIL in Syria.

“We are going to intensify our airstrikes, and choose targets that inflict the maximum possible damage on this terrorist army, and our aircraft carrier that has just arrived in the combat zone has a clear mandate to hit ISIL hard,” said Hollande.

Cameron came with immediate offers of help.

“I firmly support the action President Hollande has taken to strike ISIL in Syria and it’s my firm conviction that Britain should do so too. Of course there will be a decision for parliament to make. Today I offered France the use of RAF Akrotiri for French aircraft engaged in anti-ISIL operations and additional assistance with air-to-air refueling,” he said.

He added that much better information-sharing within the EU was essential, and commented that it was “ridiculous” that information about air passenger manifests, for example, was much easier to obtain from non-EU members.

The Cameron meeting was the first in a packed diplomatic week for Hollande. On Tuesday he flies to Washington to meet President Barack Obama, and then he meets with Angela Merkel in Berlin and Vladimir Putin in Moscow in the following days as he tries to build an international anti-ISIL coalition.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-24

Only air campaigns? No ground troops? Saddam would still be in power today...

Saddam would still be in power, ISIL would not exist, thousands of US troops would not have been killed in an unjustified war led by Bush the Butcher and his Haliburtan lackey Dickless Cheney...shall I go on?

Republicans sound bite history as if cherry picking for a pie.

Fair's fair. They are searching for a Russian sub as the UK does not have the capability.

France has maritime patrol aircraft - which along with Canadian aircraft are supporting the search for "a submarine" along with RN surface vessels and submarines.

France currently has 1 aircraft carrier whilst the UK as 2 under construction. France has suggested "sharing" aircraft carriers by allowing French aircraft to use the British carriers in the future.

Netherlands also maintains very close links with the UK in Nato. Dutch Marines would join the larger British Marine Commandos in time of war for example.

Europe has to pool military forces unlike US, Russian Federation and China who maintain much larger standing military.

yes it was a mistake to invade Iraq. I remember millions of people were against it but still Bush was a stubborn guy. they thought they would resolve the problem in 3 months and set democracy in 12 months.

after 13 years, democracy is cutting head, throw people from high building or off, Stone people, sharia law.

Cameron needs all the limelight he can get.

Cameron would be better trying to keep Muslims out of the UK, stop the Mosque building, and follow Japans example instead of bombing Syria, I would bet that Syria has got riches of some sort and "call me Dave" wants his share.

I believe the UK should contribute equal to our European allies, but I think DC wants to take it further to which I do not agree, I am afraid DC will do what Blair did and feed us false information to bring the UK into it further just to appease the yanks.

Cameron would be better trying to keep Muslims out of the UK, stop the Mosque building, and follow Japans example instead of bombing Syria, I would bet that Syria has got riches of some sort and "call me Dave" wants his share.

You can not deport people who may be of a different race particularly if they are of families that have been in the UK for many generations particularly a only a small majority support the IS, what is needed is a clear message from the Muslims that they do not support those who wish to go down the road of intolerance of other faiths and none believers as their actions maybe reciprocated and they will find out just how small a minority they are in the real world, and their religion will be ostracised in many countries around the world.

To be fair on this issue, Muslims are also fighting Muslims in many countries they dominate and not all are bad.

The real solution to this problem is in the hands of the Muslims...

Edited by Basil B

You can not deport people who may be of a different race particularly if they are of families that have been in the UK for many generations particularly a only a small majority support the IS, what is needed is a clear message to the Muslims that they do not support those who wish to go down the road of intolerance of other faiths and none believers as their actions maybe reciprocated and they will find out just how small a minority they are in the real world, and their religion will be ostracised in many countries around the world.

To be fair on this issue, Muslims are also fighting Muslims in many countries they dominate and not all are bad.

The real solution to this problem is in the hands of the Muslims...

Well the Mosques could start getting shut down, when any of their members are involved with terrorism for a start.

Japan manage to keep the Muslims out, surely Cameron could arrange a meeting with Japans leaders and follow their example.

Why are the women allowed to cover their faces? These hijab things should be banned, France banned them did they not?