Lawn mower breaks down, shop tells us we shouldn't have bought that brand.

giddyup

I have an Asgate as well as a couple of other cheaper power mowers but the wheel bearings have given up and they are a special type not sold in any bearing shop. So going to buy this one from Global House:

Did you look at Lazada? They have a lot of bearings now: http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-home-improvement/?dir=asc&itemperpage=120&q=bearings&sort=priceasc

I have a Asgatec now for 4 years. Work still very well. Onliest problem is I need a new blade (Standard blade) and can't buy it somewhere.

Emails from Ansgatec never been anwered.

Someone here know a shop in or around Pattaya who sale lawn mower blades?

It is not a standard bearing it has a lip around it to keep the wheel in place it is pressed out not machined as per a proper bearing.

The older building supply shops usually have blades, they are usually 16 or 20 inch. If all else fails the small hardware shop in Hue Yai opposite Wat Thepphabut temple/ Ban Bueng school has ones that will fit, around 160 baht If I remember correctly

post-22250-0-05165100-1469080841_thumb.j

I bought asgate from Thai watsudu also, didn't even start, took it to the shop where 6 staff tried for an hour, tightening all the nuts bolts up etc, they told me this no good why you buy? Because you told me it wouldn't be a problem to fix as it goes to bangkok, oh next time buy different model lol. Got home worked for an hour then the wheel fell off, ha couldn't make it up. PS homeworks is the same company as thai watsudu

mobile

Thanks for the info!!!

Maybe you can use a normal bearing and glue it with Loctite!!! In my experience it could help you very well.

I am familiar with loctite but without the lip the wheel falls off!! See the picture smile.png

Its not important as I have solved the problem packing each wheel with four propriety bearings and an oversize washer to hold the wheel on then a nylock locknut which is also locktighted on.

Asgate quoted 350 baht for one bearing, A proper SKF bearing that will fit the shaft and the wheel is less than 100 baht from Hardware House

post-22250-0-94469600-1469088670_thumb.j

post-22250-0-55244600-1469088698_thumb.j

Rimmer: I agree that the SKF bearing will be of higher quality than any Asgatec part. http://www.asgatec.com/company-profile.php You seem like a person who thinks long term on tool purchases in Thailand and values good parts.

That MTD mower at Global House is not in the same class as the Craftsman, John Deere or Troy Bilt sold in Thailand. Before I spend 99,000 baht plus 19,000 baht on the grass catcher, I would want to see actual spare parts in any store. MTD has zero real contacts in Thailand. The phone number is in China. The company that has the exclusive import rights to Briggs & Stratton and Troy Bilt told sent me this when I asked to compare it to the Troy Bilt Pony which I know is made in Michigan. I have seen the wooden crate the Troy Bilt is shipped in from the United States:

"In addition the engine inside is not Briggs & Stratton engine, it is Chinese engine 13.5HP.

Therefore it is low quality products, and I assure you that it will have a lot of quality and after service issues.

Please check this lawn mower quality and compare to Troy Bilt pony by yourself."

On my next visit to the Global House in Surin I will look carefully at that ride on mower with a Chinese engine. MTD has plants in several countries, but no parts seem to be on the ground in Thailand. I will ask to see parts at the Global House and see how "special order" is suggested. They were very clear that zero parts were in Thailand for a brand of toilet on display I was considering at the Global House. I've ordered parts for Siemens kitchen fixtures and understand how long a part can take from Europe.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys

I have had a Briggs and Stratton Euroe 5 mower for 3 years and I am finding it hard to get parts in the south of Thailand.  So I am thinking of buying the Honda GXV 160 which is sold for 19,000 bht on Lazada.  Would appreciate any advice or info about it please. 

In reply to JustAnotherFarang.

I bought a Honda GXV 160H2 almost 4 years ago.

It's the best mower I've ever had!

I also had a Briggs and Stratton and although I used it for nearly 10 years it constantly broke down.

I also bought a Bosch electric which was actually made in UK by Suffolk Colt thinking because it's British it'll be a good'n!

Wrong!

Back to the Honda, it sounds like the same model you're thinking of buying ( push model, not self propelled )

I bought it in Pattaya 10/10/2013 and it cost 12000 baht so maybe you should look at the mower shops before you order from Lazada!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, monsieurhappy said:

In reply to JustAnotherFarang.

I bought a Honda GXV 160H2 almost 4 years ago.

It's the best mower I've ever had!

I also had a Briggs and Stratton and although I used it for nearly 10 years it constantly broke down.

I also bought a Bosch electric which was actually made in UK by Suffolk Colt thinking because it's British it'll be a good'n!

Wrong!

Back to the Honda, it sounds like the same model you're thinking of buying ( push model, not self propelled )

I bought it in Pattaya 10/10/2013 and it cost 12000 baht so maybe you should look at the mower shops before you order from Lazada!

It is definitely cheaper than that in the place that I use in Khampaeng Phet. IIRC it was about 16,500 baht.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2016 at 4:06 PM, MissAndry said:

I've had several electric mowers in my life. Lucky if they lasted 3 months.

Petrol mowers work so much better and last for years.

horses for courses, for some gardens an electric mower is better. if that track record is true you must be buying cheap crap, buying a mower unsuitable for the job or incredibly unlucky. i've had a bosche electric for 6 years (replacing a petrol) and have had no issues. it pays to buy quality (with many things going cheap is a false economy)

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

horses for courses, for some gardens an electric mower is better. if that track record is true you must be buying cheap crap, buying a mower unsuitable for the job or incredibly unlucky. i've had a bosche electric for 6 years (replacing a petrol) and have had no issues. it pays to buy quality (with many things going cheap is a false economy)

I have about 2 rai to cut overall and none of it is real lawn. There are a lot of rocks in some areas, some of it was ploughed a few years ago and the furrows are more or less there, not much of it is flat and in a couple of places it has a 50 to 60 degree slope.

I use a petrol strimmer with a steel 15 inch blade for a lot of it and change out the blade for nylon for close work around tree, shrubs and both concrete and rocky edges. I also have a pusher Honda engined mower on big wheels with short fat blades for where I can actually walk around. Even those blades get bent and nicked by the rocks.

I always find that it is easier to keep the grass down as short dry grass is easier to cut than long wet grass.

On ‎24‎.‎11‎.‎2015 at 7:59 PM, giddyup said:

Did you see the pic of our garden? You think concrete would look better nature boy? The lawn takes 30 minutes to cut once a fortnight, oh my buddha, what a chore.

I'd have had the grass gone and some nice pavers laid before you got your Chinese piece of junk lawn mower back from "repair".

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd have had the grass gone and some nice pavers laid before you got your Chinese piece of junk lawn mower back from "repair".

That's you. You probably have plastic pot plants as well.

Edited by giddyup

• 10 months later...

FYI, the shop on Pattaya Glang, opposite Foodland is still there. They have Honda and some other brands. I bought a Honda self propelled model there in December for 29,500. Finally decided to go with quality and service. They didn't have a self propelled model, but sourced one for me. They have a technician with business cards if you ever need parts or service. The mower works great.

I previously had a couple of cheap Chinese made brands from Home Pro. Despite promises of the salesman, they did not have parts when I needed them later.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Genuine Honda Self propelled lawn mowers, 100% made by Honda, are popular in Buriram. I now own the same model Makita lawn mower in the left side of the third photo. I hear tales of woe regarding the build quality and spare parts challenges of Asgatec and Euroe Lawn mowers. You have to consider what company imports "name brands" and if they are aware of the importance of spare parts. 

Buriram Honda Petrol Lawn Mower Generator.jpg

Buriram Electric Lawn Mower Makita via Kerry Delivery Thailand.jpg

Buriram Makita Battery Lawn Mower Thailand Delivery.jpg

• Like 1