ISIS Looking for New Oil Refinery Manager and Oil Staff

stander

http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/5982/isis-looking-for-new-oil-refinery-manager-and-oil-staff/

Islamic State (ISIS) militants raised quite a few eye eyebrows after announcing they're looking for oil refinery staff and other oil industry positions.

Several media reports claim that the dreaded jihadist group is struggling to look after the oil fields they captured in both Iraq and Syria. They are therefore, looking for a new manager for the oil refineries and are ready to pay a salary of $225,000 a year – an instance that might trigger another round of debate on the source of income for the Sunni hardliner group.

Mr Reed said: "They're relying on very small transactions and a lot of them in order to move the oil because they're selling it by tanker truck more often than not. And a tanker truck can't hold that much oil."

Using smuggling networks to transport their product across borders, jihadists can make around £15 a barrel.

I must be missing something, but if they make 2 Million $ a day, it doesn't sound as if they problems moving the oil.

You got to be ..... kiddin' me blink.png

Yeah, $225,000 a year is a bit off the mark for a Refinery Manager

What the price tag is for a Refinery Manager I have no ... idea, but that they dare to go and look for personnel.

I wonder what the employment conditions will be.

If you resign you get shot ?

Only if you get that far. I was reading a Bloomberg report that the US-led coalition have been targeting the small, 'portable' oil refineries in Syria and Iraq... when they are identified as such. Apparently, the White House reckons a carpet bombing of any and all oil identified oil-producing and refining facilities in ISIS-controlled areas will cause loss of income and hardship for the average Syrian or Iraqi businessman and their dependents and heaven forbid they want to make enemies of them. The Russians find it easier just to blast the tanker trucks so DO NOT apply for any truck driving positions if/when advertised.

You got to be ..... kiddin' me blink.png

Yeah, $225,000 a year is a bit off the mark for a Refinery Manager

What the price tag is for a Refinery Manager I have no ... idea, but that they dare to go and look for personnel.

I wonder what the employment conditions will be.

If you resign you get shot ?

Only if you get that far. I was reading a Bloomberg report that the US-led coalition have been targeting the small, 'portable' oil refineries in Syria and Iraq... when they are identified as such. Apparently, the White House reckons a carpet bombing of any and all oil identified oil-producing and refining facilities in ISIS-controlled areas will cause loss of income and hardship for the average Syrian or Iraqi businessman and their dependents and heaven forbid they want to make enemies of them. The Russians find it easier just to blast the tanker trucks so DO NOT apply for any truck driving positions if/when advertised.

Ex-CIA director: U.S. doesn't bomb ISIS oil rigs for fear of "environmental damage"

“We didn’t go after oil wells, actually hitting oil wells that ISIS controls, because we didn’t want to do environmental damage, and we didn’t want to destroy that infrastructure,” Michael Morell said Tuesday on PBS’s “Charlie Rose.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/261283-ex-cia-chief-fear-for-environment-stays-us-hand-on-isis-oil-wells

Ex-CIA director: U.S. doesn't bomb ISIS oil rigs for fear of "environmental damage"

“We didn’t go after oil wells, actually hitting oil wells that ISIS controls, because we didn’t want to do environmental damage, and we didn’t want to destroy that infrastructure,” Michael Morell said Tuesday on PBS’s “Charlie Rose.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/261283-ex-cia-chief-fear-for-environment-stays-us-hand-on-isis-oil-wells

I doubt anyone can give the precise 'policy' that continues to let ISIS to earn about $2 million/day from illicit oil sales. From the Business Insider article I was referencing (sorry, my mistake and not Bloomberg). It does reference damaging the infrastructure but also plays up totally alienating the locals, regardless if they are pro-Assad, pro- ISIS or just trying to make a living.

U.S.-led forces want to avoid hitting the oil installations hard because it could hurt civilians more than the militants and could radicalize the local population, analysts say.

On Thursday the United States threatened to impose sanctions on anyone buying oil from Islamic State militants in an effort to disrupt what it said was a $1-million-a-day funding source.

Most of the oil is bought by local traders and covers the domestic needs of rebel-held areas in northern Syria. But some low-quality crude has been smuggled to Turkey where prices of over $350 a barrel, three times the local rate, have nurtured a lucrative cross-border trade.

"Our options are limited unless you hit the wells - but it does not just hit Islamic State, it hits the entire population and that is not something that the U.S. can do very easily," said Andrew Tabler, a senior fellow at the U.S.-based Washington Institute, who focuses on Syria.

"It's a good example of the constraints of trying to bomb your way out of it."

Any bombing of Syria's major oil wells could evoke memories of the 1990-1991 Gulf War when the forces of Iraq's Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait and burnt oil wells as they were repelled by U.S.-led forces, causing severe damage to the infrastructure.

Washington wants to preserve parts of Syria's oil infrastructure with the hope that they can be used after the war if Islamic State and the forces of President Bashar al-Assad are defeated, a U.S. official said near the start of the bombing campaign.

One U.S.-led raid destroyed parts of a mobile refinery in eastern Syria but left a tower at the installation intact.

"It wasn't about obliterating the refineries off the face of the map. It was about degrading (Islamic State's) ability to use these refineries," Pentagon press secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby told a briefing on Sept. 25.

"We'd like to preserve the flexibility for those refineries to still contribute to a stable economy in what we hope will be a stable country when the Assad regime is not in control anymore."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived