Pr After Study

Dear all,

I am aware that after three years of continous residence on a NON-Immigrant visa, one may apply for Thai permanent residence.

If I would to study at a Thai university for a 4 year degree on a student ED visa, does that entitle me to become a Thai permanent resident after three years?

What are my chances of securing employment in Thailand thereafter?

Thanks a lot!!!

Pat Pong can give you more info on PR, but from what I know it is next to impossible. Going to uni here doesn't mean you'll get PR at all. This is a very different attitude than in places like Australia where graduating with a number of 'in demand' degrees will result in a successful PR application as the Australians realize you could benefit their society. Maybe Thailand could learn something from Australia.

Dear all,

I am aware that after three years of continous residence on a NON-Immigrant visa, one may apply for Thai permanent residence.

If I would to study at a Thai university for a 4 year degree on a student ED visa, does that entitle me to become a Thai permanent resident after three years?

What are my chances of securing employment in Thailand thereafter?

Thanks a lot!!!

After 3 consecutive one year extensions of a non-immigrant visa, you are entitled to apply for PR. You don't say what you will study, or your previous experience so it isn't really possible to comment on employment prospects for you. Even with PR you still need a work permit to work.

Hi Patpong

I had contacted the Siam university and they had two programs for foreigners.

1)Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business

2)Bachelor of Business Administration in Hotel & Tourism

I don't know which is better for seeking work in Thailand and their prospects. Hope that I could have some advise on this issue.

For myself,I have a diploma in computer studies from the University of Cambridge Local Exams Syndicate and National Computing Centre in the UK. Would have a Masters in Public Adninistration by beginning 2006.I have a year experience in IT support in a hotel and running my own one man IT support business for a few years. I am willing to do any work, even unrelated work from my experience.What is your opinion of my prospects of securing employment here?

Is the Thai permanent residence permanent fro life or does it have a specific validity before I have to re apply again?

I heard that come this June, there is a minimum income criteria for all foreigners working here. Does that mean that all legal English teachers could see their salary go up. I am aware that some of them earn about 30k baht/month now, but if the law states that persons of a their nationality have to hit 45k baht/month, does that mean that they will al get a 15k pay increase, or will many be laid off. Would it be more difficult for non-native speakers like me to secure employment after the law takes effect?

Thanks a lot!!!!