Table Top Oven.............. Good or Bad ?

thequietman

If on a budget(or even if not), these knock those ovens into a cocked hat. Cost a mere 1000 baht. The only issue is the size. You can get extender rings to increase the volume.

I have one simular to this, but with the metal bowl.... that glass can crack!

Both are about the same price and I find more useful and easier to clean than the regular oven types posted! ^wink.png

i have a panasonic, cooks with steam, inverter microwave (no silly turntable required) oven, broil etc. around 18k but i love it to death, never had an oven that kept more accurate heat. cleaning functions make maintenace effortless. steam the cabinet then wipe.

it is also propely insulated, so not the fire hazzard those cheaper table tops are.

The Toshibas are around that mark (and more) but they are brilliant. I house sit from time to time on Phuket and theirs is 8 years old and used every day.

attachicon.gif20151129_191051.jpg

We've had this Minoya for 4 years.....Big enough for baking cakes/cookies on the large platters... Has a convection mode as well as a rotisserie....A small turkey could be cooked in it....It has surprised me just how good it has functioned as an oven - everything has turned out well....Also toasts sourdough bread every day & has worked without fail...Once our wet smoker failed (lpg leak) while cooking 2k+ chicken wings for a group .... This oven saved the day....Got it at Makro about 4000B.....

I have the same one, and I'm selling it. 2000b I also have a slow cooker, and I'm selling that too. Need a leather sofa?

You will find that these ovens will make your electric bill go sky high. A better choice is a turbo cooker, very fast, very efficient or a Samsung micro wave with convection, I have all three plus a gas stove with oven, the turbo cooker wins hands down, great for roast and of course a roasted chicken.

good luck in your choice.

You will find that these ovens will make your electric bill go sky high. A better choice is a turbo cooker, very fast, very efficient or a Samsung micro wave with convection, I have all three plus a gas stove with oven, the turbo cooker wins hands down, great for roast and of course a roasted chicken.

Not sure about that - unless maybe you're in a condo where they are reselling the rates to you.....

We're in a 2100sf house with 3

aircons and fans running all the time as needed.....Low to high bill is 850-3400 & oven used daily along with all other conveniences.....

Can't even keep the pilot lights lit in most other countries for what we pay here....

Or a gas cooker if you live in a house - gas is so cheap here.

I have a Sharp brand, I paid about 4000B for. I use it for grinders, chicken, lasagna and it works well. However, I kind of wish I had bought a slow cooker instead. I think I would use that more.

You can get a slow cooker cheap enough here I got one from here

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-slow-cookers

Make sure u get one with a glass lid so you don't have to keep taking the lid of to have a look

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I see lazada had a 60 liter convection oven for sale at around 6300 baht. Went to Power Buy and they have the same counter top oven for 5860 baht. I will be buying one next week so I can cook a 7-8 kg turkey for Christmas.

If on a budget(or even if not), these knock those ovens into a cocked hat. Cost a mere 1000 baht. The only issue is the size. You can get extender rings to increase the volume.

these work really well for roasting chicken with a crispy skin, but it cooks unevenly so have to rotate the chicken around, for small stuff its fine. I've baked fish and made countless other stuff with it too, clean up can be annoying though if you let it drip to the bottom.

I line mine with aluminium foil. As for the bigger stuff, as good idea to use the extender ring.

$_35.JPG

lrgscaleBD132568.jpg

Allows larger items to cook more evenly. A great invention smile.png

these work really well for roasting chicken with a crispy skin, but it cooks unevenly so have to rotate the chicken around, for small stuff its fine. I've baked fish and made countless other stuff with it too, clean up can be annoying though if you let it drip to the bottom.

I line mine with aluminium foil. As for the bigger stuff, as good idea to use the extender ring.

$_35.JPG

lrgscaleBD132568.jpg

Basically a hair drier in a bottle right?

i've got one of these - its a brevil (halogen) halo health fryer - meant to be kind of healthier as it uses little oil (none if you are making chips from frozen)

i've also made bread in it - bread buns come out pretty well... and ive made cakes in as well... I imported mine in my suitcase from UK as I got a cheap deal on one off Amzon, but I have seen similar ones over here in powerbuy - a lot more expensive of course than buying from the UK.

10615480_10154375979755467_1390358654826

here is the bread (i like them well done)

thumb_1581.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My old table top oven died a couple of months ago, the fan died last year and it never got hot enough, so on Wednesday I bought another slightly smaller one for 3,590 baht from Makro. It is a 42 litre model and it is fan assisted but doesn't have a rotisserie which my old one did have though I only ever used that once. The instructions are in English and Thai.

So far all I have done is toast in it which came out well and a baked a loaf yesterday which was good.

Tomorrow I will do a roast pork and perhaps now I can get back to making bread and cakes plus I want to try sausage rolls and some more pork pies.

post-5614-0-16560600-1451113285_thumb.jp

$_35.JPG

lrgscaleBD132568.jpg

I have one of these similar to photo. 1,000 baht at Macro. However mine (Imarflex) didn't come with extender. I also have a new Electroluxe toaster broiler (convection). While I am still learning to use, I like the Turbo Oven better. In fact have not used toaster oven. I have done Chicken (crispy), toast,breakfast steak, frozen french fries, pizza, and muffin loaf. Also did a salmon steak. Still playing with it but happy so far. I do line the bottom with foil.

I made a loaf of bread on Friday which came out OK. I toasted some on Saturday morning and it was OK but the crusts were a bit hard.

I got my wife to buy a whole leg of pork and I had about 2 to 3 kg with the skin on, my neighbour had a lump and the rest will go as ham, sausages, sausage rolls, pork pies and pork ham ad egg pie.

Today I made roast pork infused with rosemary and garlic.

THAT came out great with some nice crunchy skin and I did roast potatoes and onions with it topped off with Bisto gravy.

post-5614-0-53647000-1451201427_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-08776700-1451201479_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-53201500-1451201525_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-10478000-1451201527_thumb.jp

Edited by billd766

My old table top oven died a couple of months ago, the fan died last year and it never got hot enough, so on Wednesday I bought another slightly smaller one for 3,590 baht from Makro. It is a 42 litre model and it is fan assisted but doesn't have a rotisserie which my old one did have though I only ever used that once. The instructions are in English and Thai.

So far all I have done is toast in it which came out well and a baked a loaf yesterday which was good.

Tomorrow I will do a roast pork and perhaps now I can get back to making bread and cakes plus I want to try sausage rolls and some more pork pies.

attachicon.gifinstruction manual cover page.jpg

I'm looking at this one as well. Chickens, small roasts, and some baking is what I hope to use it for.

attachicon.gifinstruction manual cover page.jpg

I'm looking at this one as well. Chickens, small roasts, and some baking is what I hope to use it for.

It works for me and there is a 12 month warranty from Makro.

If it dies after 12 months and a day and the warranty has expired it has still only cost me 10 baht a day, 2 years is 5 baht and 3 years is just over 2 baht a day.

VFM.

$_35.JPG

lrgscaleBD132568.jpg

Blinkin' good tip about the tin-foil lining. !!

Been using one for years.

Bought it as a stop-gap whilst sorting out main oven replacement and ended up not bothering with the main oven, again.

Fast, efficient, easy to clean and more entertaining than the television, most times.

Buy one and be amazed.!!!!

Edit: I forgot to say it's cheap on the electricity, also.

Edited by Duggsie

$_35.JPG

lrgscaleBD132568.jpg

You must be an American...as only they end a sentence thus. Right? Most annoying :)

Actually a very effective and efficient design. Try one before you comment.

$_35.JPG

lrgscaleBD132568.jpg

Blinkin' good tip about the tin-foil lining. !!

Been using one for years.

Bought it as a stop-gap whilst sorting out main oven replacement and ended up not bothering with the main oven, again.

Fast, efficient, easy to clean and more entertaining than the television, most times.

Buy one and be amazed.!!!!

Edit: I forgot to say it's cheap on the electricity, also.

Last year, when turkeys were available for American Thanksgiving, I really had a urge to cook one. Found a 7kg turkey at Foodland for a reasonable price.

I measured the power lid of my Halogen Turbo oven: 12 inches. Went to a garden center and bought a large tulip shaped clay garden pot, about 20 inches tall with a top opening of 11 1/2 inches...B300

Lined it with aluminuim foil and was able to squeeze in a round heavy duty alum. foil pan into the bottom to catch the drippings. Used some chopsticks to keep it upright. The halogen heat unit was able to keep the pot at 350 f. easily and surprisingly evenly

Cooked beautifully in 5 hours. I use the same setup to cook full sized slabs of pork ribs. They also come out great.

Sorry, no pictures. Lost the phone they were on.

In the USA they are called Toaster Ovens and are pretty cheap form Walmart etc ,

I normally use the microwave to cook stuff and then throw it in the Toaster oven to brown it ,

in fact I have always used the Boiler setting , never the plain Oven setting , and never figured out how to make 2 sided "toast" in it so just use a regular toaster :)

But it works great for pizza, melting cheese on everything and browning potatoes that are first cooked in the microwave ,

But as you can guess I live alone so having a full size oven is more than I need :)

Actually toaster ovens are the cheaper/smaller type. These larger size units have full oven functions including broiler and controlled temperature setting and often rotisserie.

For toaster toast you use the oven setting and place bread on open rack between top and bottom - takes longer than normal toaster but does work.