Your experiences with nationalities in conflict in Pattaya

Jingthing

Anyone following the news can easily see there are a number of "hot zones" in the world today and national conflicts seem more complex than ever.

What nationalities are your friends, your enemies, your frenemies, or just neutral?

How does the personal mix with the nationalistic here in vacationland, Pattaya?

I reckon these international conflicts come up sometimes when people meet people in Pattaya, on the streets, on the baht buses, etc.

What are your feelings and experiences about this?

This thread is prompted by an experience I had last night.

I made the HUGE MISTAKE of walking on Soi Buakhow last night after the fireworks (as the baht buses were NOT running there then). The traffic was several accidents waiting to happen and there was literally no room at all for pedestrians. There usually isn't much, but this was the worse I've ever seen it.

Anyway I had a moment with another foreigner as we were trying to navigate the madness.

He said a kind word to me.

I responded.

I ran into him again.

He saw me looking at an Iranian fast food restaurant on the street.

Then he asked my nationality.

So I told him. (American.)

He got this look of massive discomfort on his face.

I reckon he assumed based on my ethnic looks and looking at the Iranian restaurant that I may have been Iranian.

But I asked him. He said Russian. But I could tell he said it RELUCTANTLY.

I hadn't guessed before because he had no accent. (It sounded like his English was good, but hard to really know.)

I was open to talking with him, yes our nations are in conflict now on some most things and not others, but he could not get away from me fast enough.

He actually looked FREAKED OUT.

Like I had COOTIES or something. (Only my hairdresser knows for sure.)

Geez I am not Obama and he isn't Putin and it's not as if the USA and Russia are directly at war with each other (OK, some proxy wars, sort of.)

He made assumptions about my politics which perhaps might be true, but he didn't know did he, and I didn't know his either.

Strangeness.

What are your experiences with nationalistic feelings out there? Either your reactions to other people's nationalities or their reactions to yours?

I reckon in the case of Russians, they get a lot of people who automatically don't like them based only on their nationality.

Americans get that too. So we've got that in common!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an American. I appreciate your curiosity on this issue, JT. However, as I understand the rules of this forum, we are not allowed to discuss politics; and I don't see how your question can be addressed without going deeply into political beliefs.

Believe me, I have very strong opinions on political matters; those within my country, and those affecting the world on an international level. But, as I said, I don't think that I, or anyone else, is free to express such opinions here. If I'm wrong, I hope the Mods will correct my understanding. But unless that happens, I have to leave it with this one general statement.

I try to accept every person I meet as an individual. I know from personal experience (I worked in Shanghai for 15 months on assignment from Boeing) that governments and peoples are not always of one mind, socially or politically.

Unless the Mods open this discussion to more specific political comments, that's all I'll say on this subject.

Jingthing.

Your run-ins with Russians in Pattaya have been well documented on this forum for years.

Even if you don't try to display your feelings, I suspect that you are unable to conceal certain negative attitudes you have when in company of Russians.

This fellow you met may have detected those attitudes and reacted accordingly.

Jingthing.

Your run-ins with Russians in Pattaya have been well documented on this forum for years.

Even if you don't try to display your feelings, I suspect that you are unable to conceal certain negative attitudes you have when in company of Russians.

This fellow you met may have detected those attitudes and reacted accordingly.

There is no chance that happened in this case.

As I said, it was clear to me that he was shocked I was American and he was the one who was freaked out hearing that.

I wasn't shocked he was Russian. He looked Russian enough but with no accent I didn't know it before he said it.

Let's talk about more general experiences, OK?

Not people's obsessions with personal attacks on me, OK?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm an American. I appreciate your curiosity on this issue, JT. However, as I understand the rules of this forum, we are not allowed to discuss politics; and I don't see how your question can be addressed without going deeply into political beliefs.

Believe me, I have very strong opinions on political matters; those within my country, and those affecting the world on an international level. But, as I said, I don't think that I, or anyone else, is free to express such opinions here. If I'm wrong, I hope the Mods will correct my understanding. But unless that happens, I have to leave it with this one general statement.

I try to accept every person I meet as an individual. I know from personal experience (I worked in Shanghai for 15 months on assignment from Boeing) that governments and peoples are not always of one mind, socially or politically.

Unless the Mods open this discussion to more specific political comments, that's all I'll say on this subject.

I totally disagree with you that this topic needs to be anything about a political debate in a specific manner.

This is more GENERAL.

There are many nationalities living and visiting Pattaya and most people being normal have at least some level of NATIONALISM.

So when people of different nationalities meet in Thailand, generally a pretty neutral zone when it comes to international conflicts, I'm sure there is friction sometimes. And often harmony and warm human feelings as well.

If I'm meeting someone as an individual, I try to deal with them as an individual. Not a stereotype.

It's about the HUMAN stuff, not the specific political issues.

No need to bring up Ukraine here or the U.S. bungle in Iraq or thousands of other political bones of contention impacting international relations.

That is NOT the point of this thread.

Edited by Jingthing

I totally disagree with you that this topic needs to be anything about a political debate in a specific manner.

This is more GENERAL.

There are many nationalities living and visiting Pattaya and most people being normal have at least some level of NATIONALISM.

So when people of different nationalities meet in Thailand, generally a pretty neutral zone when it comes to international conflicts, I'm sure there is friction sometimes. And often harmony and warm human feelings as well.

If I'm meeting someone as an individual, I try to deal with them as an individual. Not a stereotype.

It's about the HUMAN stuff, not the specific political issues.

No need to bring up Ukraine here or the U.S. bungle in Iraq or thousands of other political bones of contention impacting international relations.

That is NOT the point of this thread.

OK, JT. I think that, in general, you'll find that the political atmosphere between the countries of two people who meet here in Pattaya is nearly always directly reflected in their initial attitudes toward one another. That's human nature. If a person has been fed primarily negative information about a particular country, that certainly has an affect on his attitude toward people from that country, whether consciously or sub consciously. If personal interaction continues, that initial attitude may change; but it is there.

The other major factor is the very real differences between social behavior within different cultures. Behavior in queuing up for service, for example; or treatment of service people in restaurants or shops. The environment in different countries creates very different behavior in public situations, as well as individual encounters.

Not sure if this relates to the OP's question, but I notice in Pattaya when the morning busloads of tourists arrive to take the speed boats over to the islands they drop the Chinese off at one spot and drop the Indians off at a different spot about 500 metres away. It's like someone has already decided they don't want them on the same patch of beach. Looks kinda funny but maybe there's been altercations in the past?

Since the Russian fellow asked where you from first, I would assume he was just curious and not into politics. I am also an American and when I am asked which country I am from (I look German-ha ha) the person is just curious and we both carry a nice conversation. I find 90% percent of tourists in Thailand or elsewhere are very international and are aware that all of us cannot be labeled in a negative way just because our governments make poor decisions. Arabs I have no problem with since I lived/worked in the ME for over 8 years, I have visited Iran so know the Persians are well-educated and Westernized unlike what my American government likes to portray. Yes, there can be aggravating human behavior due to the culture the tourist(s) come from, such as Indians in a group pushing their way in front of a cashier counter at a mini-mart or a Chinese talking in his/her booming voice as if unaware the noise they are creating is unacceptable or a stern looking Russian talking a bit gruff without smiling to a songtaew driver, or Thais laughing at you if you trip over a loose block on Beach Road promenade...These irritating behaviors or reactions are due to what is acceptable in ones country, not because a particular nationality is being rude.

Observing and interacting with the diverse nationalities in Pattaya can be seen as a part of the "free" entertainment here!
The USA is very diverse as well, but most people there who are residents have been screened and tourists are generally from friendly countries or well screened.

So in that sense Pattaya is kind of a WILD WEST kind of mixing of people, with very little screening of who comes here.

Enjoy the banquet. wub.png

To add, sure a lot of people seem to embody the common stereotypes, especially when they are in groups of one nationality, but things can be different when encountering people on an individual basis.

Edited by Jingthing

I was thinking about the comment about how the Thais SEGREGATE the groups of Chinese and Indians. It seems to me that kind of thinking is very commonplace here, among both Thais, and different nationalities living and visiting here.

For example in restaurants and bars associated with a specific nationality. In many cases, most of all the people there are of that nationality. It's not "enforced" usually (sometimes it is though). More like EXPECTED. Just the way it is.

Edited by Jingthing

Get over it JT. It could be much worse. Try being continually confused for an American. Once I make some remark such as " That was uncalled for" they always profusely apologize. Your country has been at war/conflict since before it's start (which is when my family left,after 150 years, as the domestic terrorists were taking over) so grudges are bound to happen.

Edited by pegman

Get over it JT. It could be much worse. Try being continually confused for an American. Once I make some remark such as " That was uncalled a for" they always profusely apologize. Your country has been at war/conflict since before it's start (which is when my family left,after 150 years, as the domestic terrorists were taking over) so grudges are bound to happen.

That's funny because I'm usually not taken for American except by other Americans when they hear me talk. So you're right, it could be worse!

So what happens when there is real deal conflict between nations, even an active war, and their nationals rub into each other in Pattaya?

Right now things are hot between Russia and Turkey and there are a lot of Russians and Turks here.

I recall reading there is a Jomtien restaurant that did a harmony event openly inviting local Russians and Ukrainians to gather together. I like that idea and I guess it worked out OK.

How about Israelis and Lebanese?

Apparently, it is ILLEGAL for a Lebanese to talk (or shake hands) with an Israeli while abroad.

That's an extreme example, of course.

In my opinion, sadly, there is a very good chance that more active widespread wars could break out. Will Pattaya remain a largely neutral zone, or not? Imagine if the U.S. and China actually went to war? That would surely have a major impact on the environment here.

Edited by Jingthing

Ethnic conflict has been the biggest problem in the world for a long, long time. Globalism and harmony between cultures and ethnicities have remained unrealized dreams. Does any rational person believe that war and hostilities will ever end?

From my humble experiences in Oz Slavs ( that being Serbs, Russians etc) seem to carry grudges to the grave and not only that handed down from father to son.

Not wanting to get into a political debate but perhaps cold war feelings have never gone away and top it off with the way a current superpower seems to meddle in everyone else's affairs wouldn't be helpful either.

Me i couldn't care less as long as there polite and clean.

As an American, I am always shocked when I am disliked by people of other nationalities. I don't represent the American government and they wouldn't stereotype me as being an automatic representative of my country's policies, would they? Besides, my country only wants the present regime in Syria deposed for the good of the Syrian people. I'm sure that things would work out just fine for the generations of Syrian Engineers who have been educated in Russia and for the hundreds (thousands?) of Syrians who are married to Russians. Besides, the opposition in Syria wasn't fomented by us. It was just started by an innocent group of people who want to overturn what they consider to be an oppressive dictatorship. Their country won't fall into chaos. Just look at how well it's worked out for Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Yemen and others. We are actually the world's good guys - championing self-determination and free speech. How could the citizens of any other country, especially Russia, dislike us? Now regarding SE Asia, uh.......

as for my experiance I don't talk to foreigners! i came over here to associate with the local population, not to indulge foreigners in a meaninless conversation.first thing you know they are telling you their personal problems. I do wear theAamerican flag on my lapel and if they have eyes they can see it.

I guess it shows how simple minded certain people are.

Russia/Ukraine conflict downed a flight full of Dutch people, should I hate Russians for that? Don't think so.

Turkey downed a Russian jet last week which was absurdly unfair, actually I'm quite fond of Turkish people so should I hate them now? Sure not, do I hate Erdogan, yes definitely.

Also I hated it when the UN/NATO couldn't interferre in Syria due to Russia, Iran and China blocking it, Soon after I met a guy from Iran, had a good conversation with.

As a matter of fact most Iranians hate their government, most Turiskh people hate their government.

Russians on the other hand probably love their government but that's just an odd breed, I don't like Russians in particular but that's more cause they don't seem very social, has nothing to do with politics. Americans I find a bit obnoxious in general. I guess people that are from the largest nations on eath have some superiority complex or something, they theirselves would probably call it being proud of their country or whatever. Look at the Chinese as well, also behave like they don't give a shit, don't believe me, ask hoteliers.

Last thing: Go Trump, would love to see him as president smile.png

Actually I don't like Germans, French and people from the UK either.

Edited by dennis123

I've been living in Jomtien >10 years and have never had a problem. I go out of my way to make friends with those my US government doesn't like: had laughs with many Iranians, Russians, etc..... take the view they are people just trying to get through life, and no group influences what the governments do or don't do anyway. Find common similarities, don't waste time arguing about things you or they can't change.

The only thing surprising about your post is that you had a conversation in the first place - my very very limited experience in Jomtien was that the Russians were not interested in socializing w/other than their own.

I was in a drug store and helped a young Russian man by translating for him. He had a little English and I managed to convey the pharmacists advice… He never smiled, never looked at me, never said thank you…