Farmers in Isaan told to refrain from off-season rice

webfact

Northeast farmers told to refrain from off-season rice
THE NATION

30274137-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- FARMERS in Khon Kaen and three neighbouring provinces in the Northeast have been told to refrain from growing rice in the off-season, and instead opt for plants that consume less water until April 30 due to plunging water levels at the Ubonrat Dam.

The three other provinces affected are Nong Bua Lamphu, Kalasin and Maha Sarakham.

Songwut Kitkachornwut, director of Nongwai water-distribution and maintenance project, said Khon Kaen provincial water-management executives had resolved that farmers should refrain from planting off-season rice in the Nongwai irrigation zone from December 1 to April 30.

The level of water in Ubonrat Dam stands at 781 million cubic metres or 32 per cent of total capacity, of which only 200 million cubic metres can be used. Farmers in the provinces of Khon Kaen, Nong Bua Lampu, Kalasin and Maha Sarakham would be affected as the dam can only release 500,000 cubic metres of water daily, just enough for consumption and for maintaining the ecological system.

The Lam Mat River, which flows from Buri Ram's Lam Plai Mat district to meet Moon River in Nakhon Ratchasim's Phimai district, has dried up in many areas.

Tap water in nine villages that rely on this river has dried up and villagers now have to purchase water from water trucks.

Sawat Hiewthaisong, 65, chief of the Ban Nong Bung village in Tambon Bot, Nakhon Ratchasima's Phimai district said 3,000 households in Tambon Bot have barely enough water for consumption.

Five dams in Nakhon Ratchasima are, on average, only 45 per cent full. Lamtakong Dam in Sikhiu district has 129 million cubic metres or 41 per cent of its total 314 million cubic metres. Lam Phraperng Dam in Pak Thong Chai district has 87 million cubic metres or 80 per cent of its total 110 million cubic metres. Khon Buri district's Lam Chae Dam has 101 million cubic metres or 36 per cent of 275 million cubic metres, while its Moon Bon Dam has 50 million cubic metres or 35 per cent of 141 million cubic metres. Lam Plai Mat Dam in Soeng Sang district has 56 million cubic metres or 57 per cent of its total 98 million cubic metres.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ranger-in-critical-condition-after-gunfight-with-p-30274138.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-02

How many time are we going to see this headline? (I thought an old thread had been bumped).

Since "please don't grow off-season rice, there's not enough water" does not seem to be working isn't it time to start introducing penalties for disobeying a government directive?

It's not as if this drought has suddenly appeared, it's been brewing for many months.

How many time are we going to see this headline? (I though an old thread had been bumped).

Since "please don't grow off-season rice, there's not enough water" does not seem to be working isn't it time to start introducing penalties for disobeying a government directive?

It's not as if this drought has suddenly appeared, it's been brewing for many months.

Where I live there in Kantharawichai district there is still a lot of water in the canals so the average farmer doesn't know or care about the problems at ubon rat dam which is about 80 km from here. With little money around the government has a challenge in front of them Edited by aussiesteve63

How many time are we going to see this headline? (I though an old thread had been bumped).

Where I live there in Kantharawichai district there is still a lot of water in the canals so the average farmer doesn't know or care about the problems at ubon rat dam which is about 80 km from here. With little money around the government has a challenge in front of them

Aussiesteve you are very correct. For the average farmer, the immediate priority is not a lack of water but a lack of money and one imagines debts that need paying. Not planting rice is a luxury these farmers cannot afford. So the employment alternatives to not planting rice, given the rather limited skill set most farmers have is very, very limited.

If the government wants farmers to switch crops, then adequate support, both financial and administrative, including skills based teaching needs to be in place. Ideally through a two way dialogue with farmers so their needs, (and hence support for the project) are included.

Will this happen - not a chance in hell. Expect more of the same headlines ad infinitum until then dams fill with water.

Edited by jonclark

I wonder if there are restrictions on watering the pristine lawns and golf courses of the Bangkok elite?

I am not a big fan of Thai farmers in general They don't seem to have the ability to be able to diversify into less water intensive crops, or at least adopt less water intensive rice farming methods (SRI). Instead (as is common all over the country), they keep doing something because that's how they have always done it, regardless of the consequences.

So how about those in power get off their plump bottoms and work together with the farmers to find real solutions to their poverty, as well as the water issue, so that the country can grow an and move forward as one.

Finger pointing never solves anything.

Agree with Crossy... over the last few months many warnings issued telling farmers there will be no water yet some keep planting.

Yesterday went through an area where usually rice fields as far as the eye can see.In fact it was always a delight to see this area as growing rice fields are a thing of beauty. This time about 2 thirds of the fields are just growing weeds and grasses, no rice has been planted for many months. But here and there fields of full on rice, water coming from somewhere as several klongs in the area are full of water and some farmers are going ahead growing. No Policing as promised by the Govt. some months ago. One klong had a small dam and the 2 pumps were going flat out getting as much water out as they could.

I have 5 rai of mangoes and have only had water in the klongs for 4 weeks over the last year. Usually the water is flowing through my klongs and on to the neighbors land 365 days a year. My wife tells me that the local shops and market sellers are complaining about the lack of spending power as no rice giving income. Socially the number of weddings and ordainations has slowed. The place has no positive feeling at all and one has to wonder how long term this drought will effect the rural community.

YET... Not a word, signage or any information telling the farmer what to do in this situation, just blindly go on issuing warnings of doom and nothing done to conserve water at all. Years ago Auckland New Zealand had a water crisis and many schemes were used to conserve water usage.....wash the car fortnightly using a bucket only, no hose,.........shower with a bucket and use that caught water to feed your plants,.........no lawn sprinklers.....put a brick in the toilet cistern to reduce the water volume etc..... here no a word to try and stop wasteful water consumption.

Things will only get worse in the next 4/5 months.

CHEERS,

BAYBOY

There needs to be a direct clarification from the irrigation department instead of the daily don't plant rice news.

Are they still releasing water for other crops to be planted or is it no planting at all.(the government has said grow alternative crops)

Where we live in issan we have an abundance of water to grow crops but we are not involved with the irrigation departments water.

My neighbor has sprinklers running on his corn as i write.(his own water)

Where I live there in Kantharawichai district there is still a lot of water in the canals so the average farmer doesn't know or care about the problems at ubon rat dam which is about 80 km from here. With little money around the government has a challenge in front of them

Aussiesteve you are very correct. For the average farmer, the immediate priority is not a lack of water but a lack of money and one imagines debts that need paying. Not planting rice is a luxury these farmers cannot afford. So the employment alternatives to not planting rice, given the rather limited skill set most farmers have is very, very limited.

If the government wants farmers to switch crops, then adequate support, both financial and administrative, including skills based teaching needs to be in place. Ideally through a two way dialogue with farmers so their needs, (and hence support for the project) are included.

Will this happen - not a chance in hell. Expect more of the same headlines ad infinitum until then dams fill with water.

The dams probably won't be full until perhaps 2019 and that won't happen if El Nino runs into 2017.

FARMERS in Khon Kaen and three neighbouring provinces in the Northeast have been told to refrain from growing rice in the off-season, and instead opt for plants that consume less water until April 30 due to plunging water levels at the Ubonrat Dam.

But do you think rice-farmers, who are for the most part poor and gets most of their income from farming, are going to step back and say:

"Hey, those guys in Bangkok are right. Lets stop farming for 5 months. Lets stop the flow of cash into this poor family. Lets stop buying food. Paying for the electricity and car insurance is only reserved for losers anyway. Medical needs for the elderly and education for the kids can wait until next year. We will be fiiiine. Don`t worry. Great idea from you guys in Bangkok".

No, obviously they won`t say that. They will continue like before. If it turns out to be a bad idea, then they will start preparing for something else to grow, such as lime, nuts, fruits or something in that region. If you had warned them a year before, came to their village and convinced them water shortage is going to be a problem for rice farming and offered ideas and solutions, then many would have done something about it. This last minute thing you so often do, you can thank yourself for, and don`t blame the farmers.

Edited by HOAX

Agree with Crossy... over the last few months many warnings issued telling farmers there will be no water yet some keep planting.

Yesterday went through an area where usually rice fields as far as the eye can see.In fact it was always a delight to see this area as growing rice fields are a thing of beauty. This time about 2 thirds of the fields are just growing weeds and grasses, no rice has been planted for many months. But here and there fields of full on rice, water coming from somewhere as several klongs in the area are full of water and some farmers are going ahead growing. No Policing as promised by the Govt. some months ago. One klong had a small dam and the 2 pumps were going flat out getting as much water out as they could.

I have 5 rai of mangoes and have only had water in the klongs for 4 weeks over the last year. Usually the water is flowing through my klongs and on to the neighbors land 365 days a year. My wife tells me that the local shops and market sellers are complaining about the lack of spending power as no rice giving income. Socially the number of weddings and ordainations has slowed. The place has no positive feeling at all and one has to wonder how long term this drought will effect the rural community.

YET... Not a word, signage or any information telling the farmer what to do in this situation, just blindly go on issuing warnings of doom and nothing done to conserve water at all. Years ago Auckland New Zealand had a water crisis and many schemes were used to conserve water usage.....wash the car fortnightly using a bucket only, no hose,.........shower with a bucket and use that caught water to feed your plants,.........no lawn sprinklers.....put a brick in the toilet cistern to reduce the water volume etc..... here no a word to try and stop wasteful water consumption.

CHEERS,

BAYBOY

We live in Khampaeng Phet province next to the Mae Wong national park and I think we have only had the pickup truck washed 2 or 3 times this year.

As for the toilet,

If it's yellow, let it mellow

If it's brown, flush it down.

I don't understand how there can be a water shortage in the Northeast.

The Northern Royal Rainmaking Center had launched more than 1,800 rainmaking operations from February 1 to October 31 this year. They were 93% successful with 209 rainy days recorded in 15 provinces with more operations to follow starting with Nakhon Sawan province. So much were their success that General Prayut "expressed his heart-felt thanks to the artificial rain-making staffs for their tireless efforts to ease drought problem since March."

I wonder if there are restrictions on watering the pristine lawns and golf courses of the Bangkok elite?

I am not a big fan of Thai farmers in general They don't seem to have the ability to be able to diversify into less water intensive crops, or at least adopt less water intensive rice farming methods (SRI). Instead (as is common all over the country), they keep doing something because that's how they have always done it, regardless of the consequences.

So how about those in power get off their plump bottoms and work together with the farmers to find real solutions to their poverty, as well as the water issue, so that the country can grow an and move forward as one.

Finger pointing never solves anything.

Yeah, right another arm chair expert. Around here you can plant only ONE crop of rice a year. Only rice works on this soil. After that the soil transforms into concrete until it rains again 8 months later.

How many time are we going to see this headline? (I thought an old thread had been bumped).

"does not seem to be working isn't it time to start introducing penalties for disobeying a government directive?" this sentence we could save.....it would fit to many topics......

fishing

burning things in the north

land in nationalparks

etc etc

General a problem enforcing some laws.

CHEERS,

BAYBOY

The thing is, in Thailand municipal water use is only about 5% of total water use. Rice is such a water intensive crop that it dwarfs all other uses. People installing low flow toilets or whatever isn't going to help because it is a drop in the swimming pool compared to the giant fields of rice everywhere that literally have to be flooded with water.

Fine, tell them to grow something else. But you and other "important" executives have said that so many times but you never suggest other types of crops, you do not come up with a solution on how to change the crops, you do not suggest using all these experts (these Khon Kaen provincial water-management executives) to do something useful like visiting communities and give advise of what to actually do.

This record is playing on repeat, and unless you start changing the tune, nobody is listening.