No booze ban on HM The King's birthday

webfact

No booze ban on HM The King's birthday
The Phuket News

1449035266_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- There will be no ban on the sale of alcohol for HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s 88th birthday celebrations on December 5 or the “substitution” public holiday on December 7, Phuket Police have confirmed.

However, police will encourage people to refrain from drinking alcohol on HM The King’s birthday as a sign of respect and in honour of His Majesty.

The sale of alcohol will also be permitted on Constitution Day, on December 10, Phuket Provincial Police Chief Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen told The Phuket News yesterday (Dec 1).

“The sale of alcohol sale is permitted during these upcoming holidays, including December 5,” Col Teeraphol said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-booze-ban-on-hm-the-king-birthday-55234.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-02

I would ask why there's no national announcement on this issue but it doesn't really matter as we know there's tea money to be made ' enforcing ' non-existent regulations.

Why is there no decision yet if Friday 11 is to be a public holiday ?

Is it any wonder why the air and fishing industries etc etc are in such a mess when even the most minor of decisions are beyond the ' govt ' ?

Being an optimist, I'd like to think HM would want us all to celebrate his birthday and health including raising a glass. Seems quite silly not to.

I suspect HM would consider it a political decision which he has no business commenting on. He really does not interfere unless it's a matter of the utmost importance. There was a time when I would have considered it very important, but no longer.

Cheers this is the first time in 10 years of living here i can officially raise my glass to the man.

what are you talking about? The King's birthday has never had alcohol bans. The bans are only on religious holidays.
There have always been strong requests from officials to not sell alcohol.

Cheers this is the first time in 10 years of living here i can officially raise my glass to the man.

what are you talking about? The King's birthday has never had alcohol bans. The bans are only on religious holidays.

Indeed it has. Chiang Mai has already had the police around bars informing to close. Usually it is just 'requested' of them. Been on/off for all the years I've been here.

Weekend Public Holidays: Public holidays falling on a Saturday or Sunday are observed on the Monday following.

• Clubs and other places of indulgence are closed on Buddhist Holidays and Royal Holidays like the King/Queen's birthday.

Indeed it has. Chiang Mai has already had the police around bars informing to close. Usually it is just 'requested' of them. Been on/off for all the years I've been here.

Weekend Public Holidays: Public holidays falling on a Saturday or Sunday are observed on the Monday following.

• Clubs and other places of indulgence are closed on Buddhist Holidays and Royal Holidays like the King/Queen's birthday.

It's a potentially dangerous 'request' to ignore!!