What to Do When Meeting Cobra

Sawan Chan 7

Snakes are attracted by rodents and lizards. If you have a lot of lizards around a snake or two will turn up eventually to thin out the population. Then they will move on. Most snakes are harmless racers, but they are very quick and aggressive.

As mentioned by filer, areosol flysprays can be lethal for reptiles. You can lightly spray any likely snake hiding spots in your garden and it will keep them away for weeks (or until it rains next).

Twice I have found dead dogs in one of my dams (not my dogs), but I'm not sure if they died from snakebite or some other cause.

Edited by Stevemercer

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I thought you were talking about a 1967 427ci Cobra biggrin.png

I have driven one, sound great and accelaration, but handles like a billy cart and short wheel base with that power, looses track when cornering constantly

How did they win so many races if they don't handle well?

Do not try and catch it. If you do there is a very big chance you will get bit. Most areas have a pest control centre you can call and they will come and get it.

In the garden tread eavily on the ground, snakes can sense your loction and will move away.

Never get a snake cornered or they will attack, move to the side and give it plenty of space to leave. Do not kill or try to kill them. They wont harm you

if you give them space and they kill less desirble animals like rats.

Edited by gandalf12

If you happen upon a cobra and he is rearing up then just start to walk backwards away from the Cobra It will show him you are not a threat. Don't make any wild arm movements

Once about 14 feet from the (striking distance) cobra you can turn and walk away

Best to make some noise while in a grassy wooded area. Tells the Cobra you are coming and they usually do not want to meet you so will go away at hearing the noise

I often get them in my outdoor kitchen where the dogs disturb them... Or occasionally they will surprise us and get quite threatening preferring to hunker down rather than make a dignified retreat. So I made a noose-pole from a length of 1/2" PVC with a drilled end-cap, and a loop of nylon Strimmer line passing right through the pipe.. Easy to catch them at a safe distance (especially when they rear up), and pull them out into a more desirable location, but not so easy to release them safely.....

Depend on where you live.. if you have lots of grass get rid of it. They like cool places to rest. You can like othes suggested let them be and hope they move on to greener grasses? For me I have found two like yourself all when i use to have grass... they were small, so I back off slowly got a long stick came back held the head down with the stick and smack them dead. Then I check my pants to see if I had pee on myself.

If they are large you can call the fire department and they will come to remove them.

I find it amazing how many people post that killing cobra's is the best answer. This is from people that have infringed on the snakes territory. I guess it is the conqueror gene in human nature. After reading this post I now have a better understanding as to why life in the worlds oceans is down 50% in the last 5 years and tigers, bears,lions, elephants are rapidly disappearing. After all we cannot get along with ourselves so why would our treatment of wildlife that we share the planet with be any different.

I came across a 2 metre one about 6 months ago, it was on the floor of the bathroom. i grabbed a hoe from outrside and decapitated the bloody thing. I gave it to the neighbours who had it for tea that night. About three days ago, came across a baby Cobra, alerted to it by my German Shepherd. He just sat in front of it, barking whilst it was trying to strike him. I am so glad he never tried to pick it up, just warned me of it's presence. Again, the hoe, RIP little Cobra.

Edited by Si Thea01

In addition to the monacled cobra I posted above, here are a couple other catch and releases from my garden. A copperhead racer (harmless), one of about 6 pythons to date - and not the biggest - and a fairly sizable monitor. It's not difficult to snare a snake, even a cobra, and whole lot less messy than killing it.

post-91156-0-50791300-1449558140_thumb.j

post-91156-0-22629500-1449558150_thumb.j

post-91156-0-48135000-1449558225_thumb.j

post-91156-0-52670200-1449558241_thumb.j

post-91156-0-49288800-1449558267_thumb.j

I find it amazing how many people post that killing cobra's is the best answer. This is from people that have infringed on the snakes territory. I guess it is the conqueror gene in human nature. After reading this post I now have a better understanding as to why life in the worlds oceans is down 50% in the last 5 years and tigers, bears,lions, elephants are rapidly disappearing. After all we cannot get along with ourselves so why would our treatment of wildlife that we share the planet with be any different.

Totally agree with you. " Oh look a 4" snake must be a baby Cobra " Despite that the smallest Cobra hatchlings start out at nearer 8".. But as I have said before , the only Thai snakes that most Thais and ferlung know is the Cobra. So all snakes are Cobras ,all will kill you so all must be dispatched right way. Oh and has been said here before Cobras are venomous not poisonous. Can't wait for the venomous replies . What a load of cobras.

100X Sorry that the previous link to my pics did not work.

attachicon.gifP1120035a.jpg

attachicon.gifP1120036.JPG

looks like a harmless Big-eyed Bamboo snake to me , never mid it shouldn't mimic a Cobra , so bash away.
I googled your big eyed bamboo snake.

The hood, the monocle, the spitting still tell me it was a cobra.

(the 2 pics = before & after...).

Anyway, why do have some people a problem with killing cobras?

We kill mosquitoes, ants, rats don't we?

People think that tolerating lethal vermin is part of being "so not just some dumb farang". The fact that the locals kills them doesn't seem to occur to them. The people who wouldn't kill a snake would - if they were in the UK - would be eating plum tomatoes and lentils in a squat, and their most valuable possession would be a fixie bike.

1) If you could flick a switch and eliminate all venomous snakes would you do it? We could use feral cats for vermin control, and they'd be a lot more effective.

2) If venomous snakes didn't exist and you could invent them, just as they are, by flicking a switch, would you?

Now the interesting thing is that a lot of eejits would answer "No" to "1" but also "No" to "2". But that's incoherent. Any argument for not eliminating them is an argument for creating them. People don't see that because they have the above hippy-trippy happy-clappy worldview, or (ironically, given their "Eastern" pretensions) they've really absorbed the Western-Christian view that somehow acts and omissions are entirely separate.

British TV did a really good documentary about Sri Lanka's terrible problem with the Russell's Viper. Basically the <deleted>' viper will lay still and strike you if you step near it, but a cobra will rear up and (amazingly) hit you with a closed mouth.

[i wouldn't rely on that, though. Some of them might not have got the memo smile.png ]

Incidentally, if you want to see what something like pit viper - in this case fer-de-lance - will do to you, take a look at the bloke's foot around about 3:03. Remember, he got instant and excellent treatment.

They call the pit viper a living landmine in Cambodia.

The cobra will have different effects, but on the broader issue, tolerating this risk is just silly.

Just leave it alone and it will go away - they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered.

I see many cobra snakes on my land; as long as I make a noise whilst walking in the grass, they slither away quickly and I won't accidentally disturb one.

Just leave it alone and it will go away

I don't want it to go away, I want it to go away & never come back

That's why I will kill it - this also prevents it from setting up a family on our land.

they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered

Problem being that if you have dogs, they will corner it.

One time I went to look at what was happening, a cornered cobra spit towards me.

Anyway, why do have some people a problem with killing cobras?

We kill mosquitoes, ants, rats don't we?

You can check the net for different methods for trapping. If you kill it you will gain a false sense of security. I'm sure in time there will be more. The Cobra comes there for its own reason.

I have the same problems with sharks when I go diving for lobster, If i don't bother them they don't bother me and it always pays to keep a 7.62 mm smokie handy.

Or in your case a .410 snake charmer

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/410-snake-charmer-or-yard-gun

Charter Arms 44 Puppy dog over/under derringer - .410 upper, .44 Cal lower - works on both snakes & bad guys, can carry in pocket or purse.clap2.gif

Again, why do some people have a problem with killing cobras?

We all kill chickens for food, pigs for shoes, ants & mosquitoes for no itch.

Bloody racism it is!

They obviously don't have any children or pets that they care for. Off with their heads.

Of course there is the story that when you kill a cobra, it's mates come back for revenge.

I've always had a soft spot for reptiles and like having a few lizards and snakes (non poisonous variety) around. I'm inclined to the philosophy of live and let live. However, human safety must always come first. If a poisonous snake poses a risk than it must be removed or killed. To be honest, I don't mind snakes, but I'm deathly afraid of scorpions and centipedes and have no hesitation in killing them if I find them around the house.

Edited by Stevemercer

Just leave it alone and it will go away - they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered.

I see many cobra snakes on my land; as long as I make a noise whilst walking in the grass, they slither away quickly and I won't accidentally disturb one.

Snakes are deaf to noise,...it's the vibration of your foot steps on the ground that they feel....You better step hard and not to fast if you go into the bush...! always have a good flash light when walking in the dark...most snakes are nocturnal hunters...

Most snakes will avoid you when you approach. .. some rare snakes like Malayan Pit Vipers would not move and are very dangerous...

Best regards,

better call someone to remove the snake alive and bring it to a forest.

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/front-fanged/malayan-pit-viper-venomous-very-dangerous/

Edited by off road pat

If humans are blind until about ten, and then they gain their sight, their eyesight is knackered. They have a kind of blindsight based on the more primitive reptile circuit. They can only really see movement. That's what it's like for a snake. So don't move and it can't really see you, and then move backwards - the only movement then is the small movement of your silhouette as you move away.