Which is the best 40-42” flat Smart TV for Thailand?

laislica

If you're given to bouts of hanky lanky in front of the tv, Samsung has been known to secretly deploy the camera to record "viewing habits".

I don't see whats so great about a smart tv.all that counts is HDMI connectivity and picture quality.

Where would that camera be then?

Its built into the set at the top...like on a laptop....youre meant to use it for skype etc.

Based on my experience of the three flat screen TVs in my house the average life of a TV screen these days is less than 5 years - Samsung, LG and Sony = all built down to a price now IMOsad.png.

Samsung wanted 8,000 baht to replace the screen + call-out fee. Renewed guarantee of all of 6 months! A new one with a 2 year guarantee would cost only 12-13,000 baht. I don't share other posters' apparent enthusiasm for the manufacturing content of electronics

If you're given to bouts of hanky lanky in front of the tv, Samsung has been known to secretly deploy the camera to record "viewing habits".

I don't see whats so great about a smart tv.all that counts is HDMI connectivity and picture quality.

Its built into the set at the top...like on a laptop....youre meant to use it for skype etc.

I chose the camera app in the LG and it said not unless I install an external camera type xxxx (forgot)

Perhaps you are referring to smart phones?

There are many stories about them being used, Oh and the Mic too.

So just talking about, say, a new car, could suddenly have you targeted with cars for sale?

My mind boggles at the thought of how many technical resources they would need, but now we drift a tad further off topic?

All good stuff though.

Cheers

You can do what i did and thats go to one of the stores and just look....my consideration only was for good clear screen in 2012 it came down to samsung and sony, also size, 55, 60 or 65.

I dont stream or use the tv as a pc, but if i wanted i could use apple tv for that, also i use a media player to play downloaded movies and a playstation for bluray DVD if i want, in the end i chose sony and the 65inch and I've been happy ever since though samsung was cheaper.

TV screens have improved since then so today LG might come into it, in the end it depends how particular you are, if you want quality get Japan built.

Have to disagree; Samsung is Korean and the best overall, along with LG.

I have a great Samsung 60" smart TV without 3-D. You might consider a larger model. Consumer Reports has long said that consumers who buy those relatively small ones soon wish they'd gotten a larger one. If you like movies, buy at least a 55" to get some kind of in-home cinema experience. A 40-42 in a living room is just visual information.

I chose the camera app in the LG and it said not unless I install an external camera type xxxx (forgot)

Perhaps you are referring to smart phones?

There are many stories about them being used, Oh and the Mic too.

So just talking about, say, a new car, could suddenly have you targeted with cars for sale?

My mind boggles at the thought of how many technical resources they would need, but now we drift a tad further off topic?

All good stuff though.

Cheers

They sell your data to advertisers...samsung...worst of the lot.

I think sonys and panasonics are really well built.

Personally I am an advocate of LG, our old LG LCD has been going strong for 7 years without any issues, my Son has a newer 42" 3D LG in his bedroom and has also had no issues.

I have had issues with Sony products in the past and their support centre in Bangkok have been worse than useless, in that they would not service my Sony products and just wasted my time.

Go for a Samsung, I recently bought a Series 6, 48 inch for 27k.

Pleased with it. LG seem to offer some good TVs too.

I would suggest getting one with Wi-Fi and digital tuner. I was surprised to connect my Sophon cable and not only were the old analog channels clearer, but it found 40 digital channels too.

Being able to access the internet on the TV doesn't mean much to me, and I can't get further channels using the app in there IPTV, but I do connect my laptop to it and it and can stream TV from my home country, plus it can access and play media on the laptop. If you plan to do the latter, ensure your laptop has a HDMI socket, modern TVs don't have the old VGA inputs for PCs. Sufficient HDMI inputs on the TV is also a consideration, it is surprising how you use them up. My DVD player, True Cable box and Laptop have used up 3, and a radio mouse will use up a USB port. You can never have too many! The TV also has Bluetooth which can connect that way to other devices, like a mouse, speakers etc. Modern TVs are mind boggling!

Edited by jacko45k

Go for a Samsung, I recently bought a Series 6, 48 inch for 27k.

Pleased with it. LG seem to offer some good TVs too.

I would suggest getting one with Wi-Fi and digital tuner. I was surprised to connect my Sophon cable and not only were the old analog channels clearer, but it found 40 digital channels too.

Being able to access the internet on the TV doesn't mean much to me, and I can't get further channels using the app in there IPTV, but I do connect my laptop to it and it and can stream TV from my home country, plus it can access and play media on the laptop. If you plan to do the latter, ensure your laptop has a HDMI socket, modern TVs don't have the old VGA inputs for PCs. Sufficient HDMI inputs on the TV is also a consideration, it is surprising how you use them up. My DVD player, True Cable box and Laptop have used up 3, and a radio mouse will use up a USB port. You can never have too many! The TV also has Bluetooth which can connect that way to other devices, like a mouse, speakers etc. Modern TVs are mind boggling!

After the system reset and fresh install from scratch, the HDMI sound loss problem has gone.

It also no longer looks for terrestrial TV channels and defaults to the HDMI input from the sat box.

No need for a mouse or keyboard as I have on the Samsung in the bedroom.

Samsung has 2 controllers, one with the "magic pointer".

The LG has only one which is "magic" and also controls the sat box - result.

There are two USB ports so I can hang flash or external HDD's,

There are also "Component inputs which can be used by the sat box or an Iomega ScreenPlay Director that I've had you years.

Job done - Thanks folks - I do believe that this topic is done now.

Now to start a new topic about printers.....

If you can talk to your TV it can hear everything you say. Still true?

It monitors how many people are watching, when they leave the room, how their eyeballs move on the screen, what programmes they watch…they then sell that data so advertisers can target people better.

any tv that connects directly to the internet has the potential to do this.

I prefer dumb tvs that have 1080p resolution

Edited by JHolmesJr